GOP is populist

6,561 Views | 163 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by ATL Bear
Waco1947
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The GOP's first policy bill would defund President Joe Biden's efforts to help the Internal Revenue Service crack down on tax cheats. It's a bill that's predicated on disinformation, whose only real constituency is wealthy people who don't want to pay their fair share. And it underscores how the Republican Party's so-called populism isn't about empowering the working class it's about exploiting them
Waco1947
Canada2017
Waco1947 said:

The GOP's first policy bill would defund President Joe Biden's efforts to help the Internal Revenue Service crack down on tax cheats. It's a bill that's predicated on disinformation, whose only real constituency is wealthy people who don't want to pay their fair share. And it underscores how the Republican Party's so-called populism isn't about empowering the working class it's about exploiting them

All you care about is milking others for even more taxes to pay your bills….while in comparison you pay little to nothing in taxes .
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Waco1947 said:

Your thread title is spot on. Yes. The people vs. the Elite Establishment.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Waco1947
Canada2017 said:

Waco1947 said:

All you care about is milking others for even more taxes to pay your bills….while in comparison you pay little to nothing in taxes .
Diversion away from GOP nonsense and what aboutism.
Waco1947
Waco1947
Let's see what other mean spirited ad hominem attackers are out there.
FD and Canada have showed up

Where's bergson, 4th and inches, Mothra, Growl, DC,redbrick tarp duster, he hate me,whiterock, Who did i Leave off?
Waco1947
Waco1947
After a historic struggle to become House Speaker, Kevin McCarthy immediately tried to rally the troops on Saturday by promising to "repeal funding for 87,000 new IRS agents, because the government should be here to help you, not go after you." It was classic red meat for the base: For months, Republicans have messaged that the new agents would be recruited into a heavily armed "shadow army" designed to weaponize the IRS against the middle class. Conservative activists and media, which have frequently and wrongly accused the IRS of bias against the right, enthusiastically encouraged these claims.
Waco1947
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Waco1947 said:

After a historic struggle to become House Speaker, Kevin McCarthy immediately tried to rally the troops on Saturday by promising to "repeal funding for 87,000 new IRS agents, because the government should be here to help you, not go after you." It was classic red meat for the base: For months, Republicans have messaged that the new agents would be recruited into a heavily armed "shadow army" designed to weaponize the IRS against the middle class. Conservative activists and media, which have frequently and wrongly accused the IRS of bias against the right, enthusiastically encouraged these claims.
Hard-working Americans don't like paying income taxes and want to keep more of what they earn. Who woulda thunkit?
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Doc Holliday
Waco1947 said:

Hole up…your logic is that a lack of a massive weaponized IRS not targeting the working class is an economic danger to the working class?
muddybrazos
I dont understand why this isnt a non partisan issue. Framing it as the rich are trying to pay less taxes is disingenuous bc the rich pay the bulk of the taxes while half the country pays none. They want to monitor venmo payments of $600 or more and increase audits of the middle class. We should not allow any expansion of the IRS ever and federal spending should be reigned in. I support the GOP effort to totally end the IRS and go to a consumption based tax.
Harrison Bergeron
muddybrazos said:

I dont understand why this isnt a non partisan issue. Framing it as the rich are trying to pay less taxes is disingenuous bc the rich pay the bulk of the taxes while half the country pays none. They want to monitor venmo payments of $600 or more and increase audits of the middle class. We should not allow any expansion of the IRS ever and federal spending should be reigned in. I support the GOP effort to totally end the IRS and go to a consumption based tax.
Ignorance + radical fundamentalism = partisanship.
Canada2017
Waco1947 said:

Canada2017 said:

Waco1947 said:

Diversion away from GOP nonsense and what aboutism.

Hypocrite

You have spent years pushing for others to pay more in taxes in order to help defray your own living costs .

Knowing the entire time your inability to support yourself is due exclusively to your life choices .

PacificBear
What does fair share mean? $10,000, $100,000, $1,000,000? How much do you want to take?
Canada2017
PacificBear said:

What does fair share mean? $10,000, $100,000, $1,000,000? How much do you want to take?

47 never answers such questions directly .

Because he knows his position is totally hypocritical.
OsoCoreyell
Waco1947 said:

Waco1947 is a Pop Tart.
Mothra
Waco1947 said:

Where's bergson, 4th and inches, Mothra, Growl, DC,redbrick tarp duster, he hate me,whiterock, Who did i Leave off?

I don't do mean-spirited ad hominems in response to your posts. Instead I ask question that expose your shoddy reasoning - questions you can't answer.

Quite frankly, your reasoning is so shoddy and ill-informed, and given your inability to defend it, if anything I am sympathetic and feel sorry for you.
Harrison Bergeron
Does the OP seem to think having a party or government respond to the will of the people is a bad thing?

It's weird how the regressives have become a playground for the uber-rich and oppose anything that helps working people.
Jack Bauer
Those 87k IRS Agents are only there so "rich" people pay their "fair share"

TWD 1974
Waco1947 said:

First of all, IRS does not set tax policy, it simply enforces the laws Congress establishes. If the anger is about policy, defunding Congress would seem a more sensible idea.

Secondly, anybody had a recent encounter with the IRS? We had an issue a few years back involving assets from an estate. My accountant and I became increasingly concerned with our discussions with the revolving door of IRS officers.... the losing of records, the fact we received two separate letters from them on the same day, one dismissing the case and one indicating the case was ongoing. There is the adage that you get what you pay for...for those of you who might have a portfolio to protect, do you really want your tax issues handled by a temp making minimum wage?
Canada2017
xxx yyy said:

Waco1947 said:

First of all, IRS does not set tax policy, it simply enforces the laws Congress establishes. If the anger is about policy, defunding Congress would seem a more sensible idea.

Secondly, anybody had a recent encounter with the IRS? We had an issue a few years back involving assets from an estate. My accountant and I became increasingly concerned with our discussions with the revolving door of IRS officers.... the losing of records, the fact we received two separate letters from them on the same day, one dismissing the case and one indicating the case was ongoing. There is the adage that you get what you pay for...for those of you who might have a portfolio to protect, do you really want your tax issues handled by a temp making minimum wage?

I never attend meetings with IRS agents .

Always send my accountant .
Chipoople
The expanded IRS was specifically done to target poor and middle class Americans. Look no further than the increased scrutiny of Venmo transactions.

Think millionaires and billionaires are moving money around on Venmo?

The IRS is a complete mockery of an institution and anyone who supports its expansion is an authoritarian bootlicker.
cowboycwr
The IRS does not need 87k more people to go after rich elite tax cheats nor do they need access to every $600 venmo transaction
Redbrickbear
Waco1947 said:

Actually the IRS goes after the poor and the middle class far more often than it does the rich.

"How IRS Conducts Audits of Low-Income Taxpayers is Fundamentally Unfair"

https://trac.syr.edu/tracirs/latest/679/#:~:text=More%20than%20twenty%20years%20ago,4%5D%2C%20and%20cutbacks%20in%20IRS

"IRS Audits Few Millionaires But Targeted Many Low-Income Families in FY 2022"

https://trac.syr.edu/reports/706/
STxBear81
just make it as easy as possible, eliminate waste and unnecessary jobs with 3/4 of the employees watching the other person work. no hand outs if able to work and contribute, and everyone pays the same amount of tax
BusyTarpDuster2017
Waco1947 said:

This isn't your writing. Please use a citation if you're gonna quote the MSNBC columnist who wrote this.

You've done this a few times before. Stop plagiarizing.
Harrison Bergeron
cinque used to plagiarize all the time. I guess it is a Russian bot thing.
Oldbear83
Busty to Waco: Stop plagiarizing.

Biden stole quotes, lines, whole speeches all his life, so we shouldn't expect Waco to do different.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
4th and Inches
Waco1947 said:

you take that back, I am not mean spirited! I am the plucky comic relief..

Also, whats wrong with being a populist? Populism is a good thing until it becomes about a person over an idea..
LIB,MR BEARS
Waco1947 said:

Sober up you old fart!

Do I make the list?
Forest Bueller_bf
Chipoople said:

The expanded IRS was specifically done to target poor and middle class Americans. Look no further than the increased scrutiny of Venmo transactions.

Think millionaires and billionaires are moving money around on Venmo?

The IRS is a complete mockery of an institution and anyone who supports its expansion is an authoritarian bootlicker.
Look at the increased srutiny on Ebay transactions.

Mom and pop cleaning out the garage trying to make ends meet
will get to pay taxes on their garage sale as well as the real businesses on ebay.
BaylorGuy314
It was too much. $90 billion dollars? I feel like we are just playing with Monopoly money nowadays.

The IRS is a horribly ineffective institution. There are CPAs on this board - I am married to one - that can testify. There are times when the DMV shines in comparison and the IRS' problem isn't all manpower.

Would some of that been to go to dig deeper into complex partnerships and close the tax gap? Yes. Does more need to spent on technology at the IRS to make things more efficient? Yes.

Of the $90B bill, $45B was going to enforcement (which is mostly labor). Assuming an average pay package of $75K/yr (there would be some less and some more, clearly), $45B would cover 60,000 jobs for 10 years. That's nearly double the current size of the IRS workforce.

I was against the bill not because we don't need to chase billionaires or complex taxes but because it's just blatantly overpriced and no one seems to question the absurdity of it.
Wrecks Quan Dough
Those new agents are going after Earned Income Credit abuse, which means low wage earners.
Wrecks Quan Dough
Waco1947 said:

Honored to have made the list.
4th and Inches
He Hate Me said:

Those new agents are going after Earned Income Credit abuse, which means low wage earners.
it would be cheaper to get rid of EIC..
Wrecks Quan Dough
4th and Inches said:

He Hate Me said:

it would be cheaper to get rid of EIC..

Right. But sometimes you gotta pay twice for those low income votes.

We will never work for the government until we change our perspective.
Redbrickbear
GOP is so cringe…

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.