435,350 Views | 8378 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by FLBear5630
Oldbear83
How long do you want to ignore this user?

"Nate Silver's 538 consistently predicted Clinton's chance of winning (71% chance of defeating Trump a mere 24 hours before the election)."

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/why-nate-silver-blew-jeff-greenfield/

That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Osodecentx
Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

sombear said:

Oldbear83 said:

Guy Benson hasn't been a Trump supporter since before Trump's first term. He's a Never Trumper who sometimes attacks the Left as well as Trump, but he's hardly a bellwether for public mood.

That said, sure wish Trump would lay off the tweets in between rallies.
Benson is not a Never Trumper.

Attacking fellow Republicans is stupid. It is going to cost him votes, period.

I've already given up on Trump. But there are millions of voters who are giving him another look for a host of reasons. A good chunk of those have closed the door again based on Trump's idiocy the last couple weeks.

Anyone who dares to critique Trump is called a Never Trumper. It is meant as an insult but should be embraced as patriotic

Nah. I'd define a NT as someone on record as saying they'd never even consider voting for Trump, regardless of his opponent, and actively doing things to ensure he - and even those politicians who support him - won't win, such as supporting and/or voting for the Democrat rival. I've critiqued Trump plenty but as a pragmatist understand there is a far greater evil on the other side.

As for whether the NTs are patriotic, I suspect most are old guard neoconservatives who don't like the populist bent Trump has brought to the party, nor the non-interventionism he espouses. They're more pouty children than anything, foolish enough to believe 4-8 years of the most liberal president we'll ever see is actually better than Trump - bless their hearts.

Hey, you change your principles to match the party

Courageous
Mothra
Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

sombear said:

Oldbear83 said:

Guy Benson hasn't been a Trump supporter since before Trump's first term. He's a Never Trumper who sometimes attacks the Left as well as Trump, but he's hardly a bellwether for public mood.

I've already given up on Trump. But there are millions of voters who are giving him another look for a host of reasons. A good chunk of those have closed the door again based on Trump's idiocy the last couple weeks.

Anyone who dares to critique Trump is called a Never Trumper. It is meant as an insult but should be embraced as patriotic

Nah. I'd define a NT as someone on record as saying they'd never even consider voting for Trump, regardless of his opponent, and actively doing things to ensure he - and even those politicians who support him - won't win, such as supporting and/or voting for the Democrat rival. I've critiqued Trump plenty but as a pragmatist understand there is a far greater evil on the other side.

As for whether the NTs are patriotic, I suspect most are old guard neoconservatives who don't like the populist bent Trump has brought to the party, nor the non-interventionism he espouses. They're more pouty children than anything, foolish enough to believe 4-8 years of the most liberal president we'll ever see is actually better than Trump - bless their hearts.

Courageous

IDK, is it more "principled" to vote in a way that says I prefer four to eight years of the most liberal policies the U.S. has ever seen? Is it more principled to vote in a way that will create a more dangerous and hostile world for my children? Is it more principled to vote in a way that ensures repeated attacks and attempts to subvert the supreme court's conservative majority? Is it more principled to vote in a way that ensures sieves at the border? Is it more principled to vote in a way that leads to foreign wars and interventionism? Is it more principled to vote in a way that ensures woke policies throughout our govt and military? And is it more principled to vote in a way that may ensure abortion once again becomes the law of the land?

Or is it more principled to vote for a candidate who you don't agree with on some issues and in his personal life, but whose policies will be far better or at the very least do far less damage to the country my children will have to life in?

If you believe it's the former, then yes I guess a recalcitrant individual might view me an unprincipled sellout. And I'm perfectly fine with that. I don't think I've ever agreed with every candidate I've supported on every single issue. DT is no different. But for the sake of my children, I'd rather be a pragmatist than a short sighted fool.
Osodecentx
Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

sombear said:

Oldbear83 said:

Courageous

IDK, is it more "principled" to vote in a way that says I prefer four to eight years of the most liberal policies the U.S. has ever seen? Is it more principled to vote in a way that will create a more dangerous and hostile world for my children? Is it more principled to vote in a way that ensures repeated attacks and attempts to subvert the supreme court's conservative majority? Is it more principled to vote in a way that ensures sieves at the border? Is it more principled to vote in a way that leads to foreign wars and interventionism? Is it more principled to vote in a way that ensures woke policies throughout our govt and military? And is it more principled to vote in a way that may ensure abortion once again becomes the law of the land?

Or is it more principled to vote for a candidate who you don't agree with on some issues and in his personal life, but whose policies will be far better or at the very least do far less damage to the country my children will have to life in?

If you believe it's the former, then yes I guess a recalcitrant individual might view me an unprincipled sellout. And I'm perfectly fine with that. I don't think I've ever agreed with every candidate I've supported on every single issue. DT is no different. But for the sake of my children, I'd rather be a pragmatist than a short sighted fool.

Flexible principles, nothing else
4th and Inches
Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

sombear said:

Oldbear83 said:

Courageous

you get to A - "change your principles to match party" aka vote for the party that still aligns with your policy choices, B- switch parties, C- do the moral high ground and let everyone else decide who is in change for you.
Adopt-a-Bear 2024

#90 COOPER LANZ ( DL )
CLASS Junior
HT/WT 6' 3", 288 lbs

#50 KAIAN ROBERTS-DAY ( DL )
CLASS Sophomore
HT/WT 6' 3", 273 lbs
historian
In other words, they are morons!
historian
It's only more principled to vote for the Dem if one is a Leftist / commie / fascist who wants to see America decline further. I've never heard that position described as patriotic or loyal. It's amazing how far done people will go because of TDS.
boognish_bear
whiterock
More bad fundamentals for Democrats

whiterock
Keep this in mind as you read polling. Plo done by media outlets are done to make news/narratives, not to report facts.

historian
whiterock said:

More bad fundamentals for Democrats

It's called a recession: the Biden-Harris recession.
Mothra
Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

sombear said:

Oldbear83 said:

Courageous

Coming from the conservative who prefers Kamala Harris to Trump and gives money to Democrat candidates, you're one to talk. You're about as flexible as they come.
boognish_bear
TenBears
Whoa, DJT has decided EV's aren't so bad after all!

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-electric-vehicles-elon-musk-endorsement-2024-8?amp
Mothra
historian said:

It's only more principled to vote for the Dem if one is a Leftist / commie / fascist who wants to see America decline further. I've never heard that position described as patriotic or loyal. It's amazing how far done people will go because of TDS.
Well, the poster in question has admitted on these boards he actually funded and voted for Democrat candidates in Texas in 2022 due to Republicans' support of Trump, one of whom wanted universal access to abortions on the govt. dime.

I mean, when you're so motivated by your hatred of a candidate that you would financially support candidates who support such evil and heinous policy, you've lost the right to call anyone else unprincipled.
Mothra
TenBears said:

Whoa, DJT has decided EV's aren't so bad after all!

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-electric-vehicles-elon-musk-endorsement-2024-8?amp
Sure glad Kamala has never flip-flopped on any issues. In her case, it's just "recalibrating." Thanks for the spin, CNN!

https://www.cnn.com/2024/07/30/politics/harris-shifts-policy-stances/index.html

Harris recalibrates policy stances as she adjusts to role atop Democratic ticket

As the burgeoning Kamala Harris campaign works behind the scenes to refine its policy platform, the vice president has increasingly found herself clarifying which of her positions have shifted over the years.

From fracking to single-payer health care, several cornerstones of her 2020 presidential run, as well as her time as a US senator and California attorney general, now appear at odds with the policies that have crystallized during the Biden-Harris administration and emerged as critical issues in battleground states.

The policy changes reflect the differences between the moderation that has come with governing during the current administration's time in office and the demands of the 2020 Democratic primary, when both Joe Biden and Harris reversed course on certain policies in an attempt to move to the left. Harris ended her 11-month bid as one of the more progressive candidates in a crowded field.
[url=https://www.cnn.com/2024/07/27/politics/kamala-harris-key-issues][/url]
[url=https://www.cnn.com/2024/07/27/politics/kamala-harris-key-issues][/url]
But the recent clarifications on her current positions, and the speed at which her fledgling campaign moved to make them, also demonstrate the Harris team's need to define the presumptive Democratic nominee lest Republicans beat them to it. Even as Harris has energized Democrats and boosted the ticket's appeal to Black, Latino and younger voters, she is also seeking a running mate who is likely to be a White man with a more centrist persona.

The push to bolster a more moderate image comes as former President Donald Trump and his campaign have ratcheted up criticisms of Harris, seeking to frame her as more liberal than Biden and highlight her California roots. The Trump campaign is up with two ads attacking Harris on border security and describing her as "dangerously liberal." The $12 million ad buy will air in six battleground states: Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Michigan, Georgia, Arizona, and Nevada.
sombear
Trump now quadrupling down on Kemp BS and saying he intentionally rigged election against Trump, and that's why Kemp did so well and Trump and Walker didn't.

Trump has and will do more damage to our cause than any Dem can in 4 years.

I'll be voting Dem for the first time in my life.
boognish_bear
Not great for the economy… But might give Trump a boost

Mothra
sombear said:

Trump now quadrupling down on Kemp BS and saying he intentionally rigged election against Trump, and that's why Kemp did so well and Trump and Walker didn't.

Typical Trump bull****, no question. But that's the comment that pushed you over the edge to voting Democrat? I mean, this is the kind of bull**** he always says.

With all due respect, you've lost your marbles. Only a fool of a conservative who has watched the ineptness of the last 4 years would believe Harris will do less damage to the country than Trump. Listen to your wife and sons, and pull your head out of your ass.

I pray they can talk some sense to you.
Harrison Bergeron
What if we had an "election" where on candidate was not elected and never spoke to the media?
whiterock
Mothra said:

sombear said:

Typical Trump bull****, no question. But that's the comment that pushed you over the edge to voting Democrat? I mean, this is the kind of bull**** he always says.

With all due respect, you've lost your marbles. Only a fool of a conservative who has watched the ineptness of the last 4 years would believe Harris will do less damage to the country than Trump. Listen to your wife and sons, and pull your head out of your ass.

you can't reason someone out of a position they did not reason themselves into.

Mothra
whiterock said:

Mothra said:

sombear said:

I like sombear and I think he's a smart poster and good contributor to this board, but with all due respect to him, anyone who will vote for Kamala Harris is not truly a conservative.
4th and Inches
Mothra said:

whiterock said:

Mothra said:

sombear said:

I like sombear and I think he's a smart poster and good contributor to this board, but with all due respect to him, anyone who will vote for Kamala Harris is not truly a conservative.
if you dont want to vote for Trump.. dont vote. Voting for Harris is a step too far
Adopt-a-Bear 2024

#90 COOPER LANZ ( DL )
CLASS Junior
HT/WT 6' 3", 288 lbs

CLASS Sophomore
HT/WT 6' 3", 273 lbs
Bestweekeverr
boognish_bear said:

RFK tells Rosanne a story about putting a dead bear in his van and staging a prank with it...

Dude was never a serious candidate.

Wouldn't be surprised if this is coming out due to threats from the NY Post to release this because polls are showing he is taking away more votes from Trump.
Mothra
4th and Inches said:

Mothra said:

whiterock said:

Mothra said:

sombear said:

if you dont want to vote for Trump.. dont vote. Voting for Harris is a step too far
Agreed. Or financially supporting candidates who are the antithesis of conservatism. See Oso.

As I suggested above, the NT's who are all-too-willing to betray their purported conservative values because of their hatred for Trump aren't really conservative. Sure, they will protest (like he does) when someone calls out his bull ****, but if you examine their positions, something is amiss.
boognish_bear
Bestweekeverr said:

boognish_bear said:

RFK tells Rosanne a story about putting a dead bear in his van and staging a prank with it...

Wouldn't be surprised if this is coming out due to threats from the NY Post to release this because polls are showing he is taking away more votes from Trump.
Well...this is turning into a weird one...

Mothra
boognish_bear said:

Bestweekeverr said:

boognish_bear said:

Well...this is turning into a weird one...

LOL. Oh boy. Political prosecutions are now a thing in this country.
boognish_bear
boognish_bear
If elected Trump will fly around the earth in reverse like Superman to rewind time and fix all of this....

Waco1947
FLBear5630 said:

Waco1947 said:

4th and Inches said:

47, why does the admin keep adjusting those job numbers down? Usually months after they were publicly announced as awesome, they quietly adjust them down.
New data
But the total is 15 million new jobs; that is, through all of the up and downs month over month
Come on, that is coming off a Pandemic. Is it 15 million jobs over pre-Pandemic?

It works for all the Presidents, Obama after 08 was all of a sudden a job creator. Reagan after Carter. Clinton after Bush 88 Recession.

The Bush 88 was the interesting one. He is the last President to tell the truth and he got destroyed for it No New Taxes, when he saw the financial situation which called for raising taxes he was honest and got destroyed for breaking his word. He did the right thing based on the conditions and tried to be "fiscally responsible" and was destroyed. SInce then, we get lip service.

It is cyclical, no economy can have constant growth. If you have down cycles jobs are lost. You come into office after a Pandemic, you are going to get more jobs as the cycle returns to normal.
True 88 was a good man who set Clinton up for a great run at balancing the budget.
Aliceinbubbleland
I'm pretty sure the markets fell a helluvalot more than that when Trump was President. I do not believe either President had much to do with the markets.
Astros in Home Stretch Geaux Texans
Waco1947
Aliceinbubbleland said:

I'm pretty sure the markets fell a helluvalot more than that when Trump was President. I do not believe either President had much to do with the markets.
Agreed
boognish_bear
Aliceinbubbleland said:

Agree....Presidents (R or D) get too much credit or too much criticism for the economy either way. Each presidency has it's own unique circumstances domestically and globally that impact the economy in positive and negative ways.

The President and their administration can definitely help or hurt to a degree with their decision making, but often there are bigger factors at play in the cyclical nature of the economy.

When the economy was good recently Trump was taking credit for it saying it was doing good because of everyone anticipating his upcoming presidency....now that it's turned the credit for who is responsible has shifted.
4th and Inches
Waco1947 said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

Agreed
do you? Seem to recall a thread you started thanking Biden for the stock market soaring
Adopt-a-Bear 2024

#90 COOPER LANZ ( DL )
CLASS Junior
HT/WT 6' 3", 288 lbs

CLASS Sophomore
HT/WT 6' 3", 273 lbs
Redbrickbear
I'm completely shocked that Mitt Romney (of bain capital) is against a ban on Congressmen/women trading stocks....including spouses

First Page Last Page
Page 184 of 240

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.