471,954 Views | 8723 Replies | Last: 19 min ago by whiterock
Redbrickbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
[Here's an insightful essay from Oren Cass about the changing of the guard in US politics. Excerpts:
Quote:

Quote:
Conservatives my age [Cass was born in 1983 RD] or younger were raised at the end of history, with market democracy the only option. Our idea of a Democrat is Bill Clinton, declaring the era of big government over. The global vision we saw American leaders pursue was not the epochal defeat of communism but the foolish embrace of China. Our experience of American foreign policy is repeated failure, in Afghanistan and Iraq, Syria and Libya, Crimea and Ukraine. I was fortunate to enter the labor market in 2005, when the economy was performing well, but most people in their 30s who earned college degrees graduated into the Great Recession and the painfully slow recovery thereafter.
For older conservatives, the triumph of Reagan's tax cuts and deregulation over 1970s stagflation is the dominant economic narrative. In finance, in technology, in health care, America was a nation ascendent. When younger conservatives think "economic boom," we are more likely to think of the late 1990s. The Bush tax cuts of 2001 and 2003 were a squandering, not an achievement. Our crises are the rapid offshoring to China, the Wall Street meltdown, and the opioid epidemic; skyrocketing student debt and declining family formation.

We take the computer and the cellphone for granted and have experienced Silicon Valley's innovation mainly as the proliferation of rent-seeking corporations pursuing monopoly, abusing their market power, and disseminating corrosive social media apps. Intel is a floundering company that gave away American leadership in cutting-edge technology. General Electric is a cautionary tale of MBA mismanagement. Boeing is an embarrassment that somehow lost the ability to make reliable airplanes.

Thus, rejection of the old guard's conservatism is not some generic case of the young whippersnappers rebelling against their elders. Today's problems are ones to which the prior generation's solutions are entirely unresponsive. Often, today's problems are the direct result of that which the prior generation insisted on doing long past the point of diminishing returns. That the old guard continues to propose doing yet more of the same looks outright disqualifying. How can anyone propose yet another tax cut when the last three have sent us into a fiscal crisis and delivered none of the promised growth? Are we really supposed to let the model that gave us free trade with China guide our economic policy going forward?

J.D. Vance is the harbinger of the generational change. No matter what happens in November, he is the GOP's future.]
Osodecentx
GrowlTowel said:

BUDOS said:

Good points! Looks like some are thinking that the "surprise" is on its way. However, I don't see it making any difference, do you?

Judge Chutkan Readies October Surprise Pre-Election Publication of Jack Smith's Secret January 6 Brief Against Trump
https://l.smartnews.com/p-KxG4v/A3oh0M

Oh, Smartnews exclusive
boognish_bear
Trump backs out of 60 Minutes interview after initially agreeing. Harris will proceed.

boognish_bear
Redbrickbear
Realitybites
Why America is doomed...

The meaning of this chart is that neither party will be able to establish the degree of fiscal responsibility necessary to save the country, economy, and currency.

4th and Inches
Realitybites said:

Why America is doomed...

The meaning of this chart is that neither party will be able to establish the degree of fiscal responsibility necessary to save the country, economy, and currency.

we went to war with england over a 2% tax on tea.. just saying
Redbrickbear
Sorry I'm late off the mark today. I got up at three to watch the debate, and then wrote something about it for The European Conservative. It starts like this:

Quote:

The vice presidential debate settled one important question: Yes, whatever happens in November, J.D. Vance, age 40, is the future of American conservatism. He was confident, he was smart, he was in command. A European conservative friend watching the debate with me said, "If the Republican Party had twenty J.D. Vances, they would be running the country."
But you know what the debate didn't settle?
Where the Democratic and Republican campaigns stand on the Ukraine war.
Where they stand on the economic and military challenges from China.
Where they stand on the issue of women's rights (and family rights) versus transgender rights.
Where they stand on the issue of DEI (diversity, equity, and inclusion) policies.
Where they stand on the deep racial conflict in America.
The debate neither settled nor illuminated these issues, because the CBS moderators-Norah O'Donnell and Margaret Brennan-didn't ask about them. They did, however, ask about climate change and January 6, two issues of burning importance to coastal liberals.
Whether it intended to or not, Team CBS protected Tim Walz's vulnerable flanks. On all of those unasked questions, the Democrats are vulnerable. The party stands for a failed status quo. Watching the debate from Europe, it was striking how insular and out of touch the journalist-led discussion wasand not only because the questions favored the Democrats.

Of course I was pleased as punch with how J.D. Vance performed. I know he could have scalped anxious Walz at any moment, but he had to be on his best, pink-tie behavior to calm women viewers at home, who think he's TOO MEAN. But yeah, what terrible moderators.

And by the way, what J.D. Vance said about Minnesota babies born during botched abortions being allowed to die is true.
Frank Galvin
Redbrickbear said:

Sorry I'm late off the mark today. I got up at three to watch the debate, and then wrote something about it for The European Conservative. It starts like this:

Quote:

The vice presidential debate settled one important question: Yes, whatever happens in November, J.D. Vance, age 40, is the future of American conservatism. He was confident, he was smart, he was in command. A European conservative friend watching the debate with me said, "If the Republican Party had twenty J.D. Vances, they would be running the country."
Where they stand on the issue of women's rights (and family rights) versus transgender rights.
Where they stand on the issue of DEI (diversity, equity, and inclusion) policies.
The debate neither settled nor illuminated these issues, because the CBS moderators-Norah O'Donnell and Margaret Brennan-didn't ask about them. They did, however, ask about climate change and January 6, two issues of burning importance to coastal liberals.
Whether it intended to or not, Team CBS protected Tim Walz's vulnerable flanks. On all of those unasked questions, the Democrats are vulnerable. The party stands for a failed status quo. Watching the debate from Europe, it was striking how insular and out of touch the journalist-led discussion wasand not only because the questions favored the Democrats.

Of course I was pleased as punch with how J.D. Vance performed. I know he could have scalped anxious Walz at any moment, but he had to be on his best, pink-tie behavior to calm women viewers at home, who think he's TOO MEAN. But yeah, what terrible moderators.

And by the way, what J.D. Vance said about Minnesota babies born during botched abortions being allowed to die is true.
Vance is a great debater. So is Ted Cruz. They both made the mistake of tying themselves to an awful person who they once recognized as awful. It will haunt their presidential ambitions for a long time.

As to the Minnesota abortion issue, the article says that of the eight instances, three were "pre-viable," two had "fetal anomalies," and the other three were given comfort care. There is (understandably) no public access to the medical records in these cases. But they certainly seem like eight circumstances in which doctors and families made the heart wrenching decision that immediate care would not change an inevitable result.

Those decisions likely lessened pain and suffering, but the GOP wants to leverage incredibly difficult situations for cheap political points. Very Christian of them.
whitetrash
Frank Galvin said:

Redbrickbear said:

Quote:

Vance is a great debater. So is Ted Cruz. They both made the mistake of tying themselves to an awful person who they once recognized as awful. It will haunt their presidential ambitions for a long time.

As to the Minnesota abortion issue, the article says that of the eight instances, three were "pre-viable," two had "fetal anomalies," and the other three were given comfort care. There is (understandably) no public access to the medical records in these cases. But they certainly seem like eight circumstances in which doctors and families made the heart wrenching decision that immediate care would not change an inevitable result.

Those decisions likely lessened pain and suffering, but the GOP wants to leverage incredibly difficult situations for cheap political points. Very Christian of them.

In other words:

Malbec
Anybody smell a HuMcK sock?
Redbrickbear

Another case of Male "feminist" being awful to women.

While the "mysogenistic" men tend to treat women nicely.

GrowlTowel
Frank Galvin said:

Redbrickbear said:

Quote:

And you wonder why your party can't win on policy.

Wow.
historian
The Nazis killed babies for being disabled; later adults too. Then Jews, Gypsies, Jehovahs Witnesses, Poles, Russians, etc.
just saying
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Jacques Strap

boognish_bear
Osodecentx
boognish_bear said:

30 days before the election?
Redbrickbear
Osodecentx said:

boognish_bear said:

boognish_bear
I think if that's the October surprise Trump will be fine. Trump is immune to legal issues moving the needle on his electability.
Oldbear83
Is October Bad Fiction Month?

4th and Inches
Osodecentx said:

boognish_bear said:

october surprise
4th and Inches
boognish_bear said:

I think if that's the October surprise Trump will be fine. Trump is immune to legal issues moving the needle on his electability.
i think this is right.. unless there is something extra grevious

Nothing i have seen so far will dissuade the Trump voters..
boognish_bear
This is the smoking gun? Trump was on his phone and on Twitter. Who would've ever guessed.

historian
Jacques Strap said:

Like so many other fascists, she wants the power and the perks but not the actual work or any accountability.
historian
Osodecentx said:

boognish_bear said:

That's why it's called "October surprise"

I suspect this will be empty snd meaningless like all the other lawfare attacks against Trump. It sounds like what the fascists did in 2020 and are doing again this year.
historian

historian

historian

historian

historian

historian

historian

historian

boognish_bear
This will also have zero impact

historian
This looks like another October Surprise by the fascists because they are losing big.
First Page Last Page
Page 248 of 250

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.