The collapse of South Africa?

13,154 Views | 166 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Redbrickbear
Waco1947
How long do you want to ignore this user?
nein51 said:

Waco1947 said:

nein51 said:

https://www.theamericanconservative.com/why-south-africas-collapse-finally-came-down-to-eskom/

I'm not sure it's possible to discuss SA without sounding like a raging racist. I'll leave it at this; basically every metric shows everyone (black and white) were better off under apartheid.No, aparttheid reduce blacks to 2nd class citizens and ekp the racism going.

My stepson's dad is from SA and I can tell you his family vacillates from sad to angry about what is happening there.

Except every metric shows black and white SAs were better off.
Except human rights.
Waco1947
Redbrickbear
Waco1947 said:

nein51 said:

Waco1947 said:

nein51 said:

https://www.theamericanconservative.com/why-south-africas-collapse-finally-came-down-to-eskom/

I'm not sure it's possible to discuss SA without sounding like a raging racist. I'll leave it at this; basically every metric shows everyone (black and white) were better off under apartheid.No, aparttheid reduce blacks to 2nd class citizens and ekp the racism going.

My stepson's dad is from SA and I can tell you his family vacillates from sad to angry about what is happening there.

Except human rights.

That is a interesting discussion.

Is the lack of being able to vote in National elections worth a country that is dysfunctional, violent, and with even worse economic prospects than when it was under minority rule?

I really don't know and think its worth having a discussion about.

I would say that denying 80% of the population the right to political representation is bad at face value...and not democratic at all.

But is it worth such political rights if you country has the 3rd highest murder rate in the world (20,000 murders a year) and can't keep the lights on for average people?

It really is an interesting discussion.

For instance 12.8 million South Africans are unemployed (the whole country only has 59 million)

nein51
Waco1947 said:

nein51 said:

Waco1947 said:

nein51 said:

Except human rights.

Cool. They can vote for utter chaos, murder, no clean drinking water, no power, crumbling infrastructure…

Define "human rights".

If you mean blacks were second class citizens then you're right. They are still second class citizens only without basic needs being met. So what did they gain?
Redbrickbear
whiterock
nein51 said:

You're assuming they want to leave. The worst part is that [in large part] the black farmers don't have the resources to run a large scale farm so it's likely all a waste. They aren't even gaining anything.

I really wanted my 15 3/4 yr old to go visit his homeland for graduation but, right now, I'm just not sure that's safe enough to do.
When I got to Zim in 1989, ZANU govt had in inventory over 1.5m acres of farm land purchased under "willing seller - willing buyer" terms but had ceased acquisitions until further notice.

After the first 5-6 years of resettlement, ZANU govt realized it had invested hundreds of millions of ZD to acquire, redevelop, and resettle commercial farms that had generated several million USD a year of agricultural export (Zim's primary export product). I.E. projects for road networks, public schools, electrical service to each village, water supply, etc...... In return, they had created farming entities which were not profitable business entities, essentially over-large gardens for the residents which did not generate enough taxation to cover the cost of social services provided. So they stopped the programme. Did not resume it for over a decade until Mugabe needed something popular to hold onto power. The Shona peoples were a crop/livestock culture, so there was tremendous public appeal for land. In a sense, the whole Zim revolution was about land reform, in that it was what tugged most at the (particularly Shona) heartstrings. Whites owned all the best land title deed, while indige continued to live in communal(largely non-arable) areas.

Not sure the degree to which land reform is an issue in RSA. Doesn't seem to really be what's driving the current violence against farmers.

Even during the war in Zim, violence against farmers was highly selective. As a general rule, the farmers that treated their staff well were left alone. Met lots of farmers who lived way out in the sticks in undefendable areas that never had a problem. My best Rhodie friend lived over 200km from Harare, near a very small mining town with almost no white residents. Most farms were actually ranches. Yet the only guy in the area who got whacked was a notoriously outspoken ******* known for mistreating farm labor. EX: The guy who owned the farm where I shot my leopard lived on the west side of the Great Dyke right up at the northern end. Very exposed to a major infiltration route. If they'd have really wanted him gone, he'd have been an awfully easy target. They kinda had to walk thru around his place routinely. Only issue he ever had was a mine placed in his (1 mile long) driveway. His staff warned him & helped him dig it out.

Waco1947
Racism doesn't go away because one obtains their human rights.
Racism did not disappear with the civil war
Or passage or the civil rights
Nor the subjugation of native Americans
Nor releasing Japanese Americans from concentration camps
Nor did ant-semetism with the Holocaust camps
But let's err on the side of freedom rather than your statistics
Waco1947
Redbrickbear
Waco1947 said:

Well certainly freedom is positive good....in this case we are talking about political leadership.

And its not mere "statistics" to the 20,000 families a year in South Africa who lose a family member to murder.

Or to the 12.8 million South Africans (mostly Black) who don't have jobs or work.

Or to the millions of South Africans who don't have electricity because the power grid keeps failing and the country has an incredibly corrupt current leadership.

Was it worth overthrowing a minority Boer leadership...that was efficient and non-corrupt.

For a majority political leadership that is incompetent and corrupt?
Method Man
nein51 said:

I say it all the time. The country was better off under apartheid. It's not the whites that are the problem.
Interesting comment.................................... coming from the same guy that justified Guy Morriss only recruiting RGIII to be a defensive back.

Let me guess.....you raised another mans kids
nein51
Method Man said:

nein51 said:

I say it all the time. The country was better off under apartheid. It's not the whites that are the problem.
Interesting comment.................................... coming from the same guy that justified Guy Morriss only recruiting RGIII to be a defensive back.

Let me guess.....you raised another mans kids

Turns out we are all wrong from time to time. However the data shows that RSA was better under apartheid; for both whites and blacks. I can't answer why that is.

I do have a stepson who is 1/2 Boer who has been my stepson his entire life (no idea why that matters to you). That certainly does color my opinion to an extent as I know his paternal grandparents and his dad who are white SAFs.
Redbrickbear
Redbrickbear
Jack Bauer
Redbrickbear
Waco1947
Redbrickbear said:

Waco1947 said:

Well certainly freedom is positive good....in this case we are talking about political leadership.

And its not mere "statistics" to the 20,000 families a ye ar in South Africa who lose a family member to murder. I was comparing stats vs freedom overall.How about freedom plus improved stats for all S Africans

Or to the 12.8 million South Africans (mostly Black) who don't have jobs or work.

Or to the millions of South Africans who don't have electricity because the power grid keeps failing and the country has an incredibly corrupt current leadership.

Was it worth overthrowing a minority Boer leadership...that was efficient and non-corrupt.

For a majority political leadership that is incompetent and corrupt? Answer is still yes.
Waco1947
UTExan
Just remember that the old apartheid government and the new ANC regime love gun control. They have introduced incremental measures to more heavily license and regulate guns over the past 30 years, despite being incompetent to maintain a current licensing regime or database. If I was an Afrikaner or Indian or Khoisan, I would very discreetly be acquiring weapons and explosives right now because the incompetence of the ANC at governing when they were handed both 1st world infrastructure and institutions is going to insure that non-Xhosa and non-Zulus will be the scapegoats. If I am the CIA I would start training Afrikaner, Indian and Khoisan paramilitary forces right now to consolidate on the Western and northern cape areas. That way, when South Africa implodes, that region can declare independence and become a strong foothold on the southern part of the continent for us. We won't do it because we wrongly overlay our own race relations issues onto what are basically African tribal struggles.
Redbrickbear
Jack Bauer
Redbrickbear said:

JFC. There's gonna be a civil war in S Africa
Redbrickbear
Jack Bauer said:

Redbrickbear said:

Doubt it.

Whites are down to 8% of the population.

You can't fight a civil war with only 8% of the populace
KaiBear
Redbrickbear said:

Jack Bauer said:

Redbrickbear said:

Doubt it.

Whites are down to 8% of the population.

You can't fight a civil war with only 8% of the populace

Agreed

You can only be massacred.

Those remaining whites need to get the hell out of South Africa.
Redbrickbear
Titus and Titus
No one could have predicted this.
Jack Bauer
Redbrickbear said:

I could quote Chris Rock but I'd get kicked out
Redbrickbear
nein51
If the notion that no one should be killed in their home, even if they are white, and pointing that out makes you a white supremacist then maybe white supremacists actually are everywhere.

Who knew that when you changed language to mean whatever you want you can get the outcome you set out to get.
Redbrickbear
whiterock
Redbrickbear said:

LOL it's like that. I had a station-issued Winchester Model 21 (odd piece of inventory, that) in Liberia and got it issued as my personal defense weapon at home (so I could use it hunting in the jungle on weekends, but I digress....)

So we're in the house one evening after work and the housing compound guards & gardeners, who have figured out I'm armed, come excitedly to the door. Snake in the tree. Compound was well groomed and had numerous large, mature mango trees.

So I grab the Winchester and go take a look. They're pointing at a mango tree in my neighbor's yard. I start looking. Can't see a snake. There's a LOT of leaves on a mango tree. A mango tree is a lot like a mature native Pecan Tree in shape & size. Imagine trying to spot a snake up high in a Pecan tree...... A couple of the staff come over behind to me and start pointing over my shoulder. No matter which way I turn, they stay behind me. They explain the snake is stretched out on top of the tree canopy, sunning itself. So I strain to look up 50+ feet thru a sea of green leaves to find a piece of a snake to shoot at. Finally, I see it. Just a geometric anomaly....about 6" of straight tubing silhouetted between a couple of leaves. Boom. Snake starts falling. Staff starts scrambling. Snake is dead. Green Mamba. +8 feet long. Much excitement ensues. Staff beating a dead snake with whatever they can get their hands on. the whole compound staff gets up involved in the process which ends with a celebratory dance down to the banks of the river to dispose of the snake.

By the time Bwana had shot the viper, all the misstresses of the houses had assembled on our back porch to watch. They were dying with laughter. At no point did any of the grounds/security staff assisting me allow themselves to get between me an the snake. Whatever happened, I was going to get bit first......
JXL
Waco1947 said:

nein51 said:

Waco1947 said:

nein51 said:

Except human rights.

What about Helen and Alice's human rights?
Waco1947
JXL said:

Waco1947 said:

nein51 said:

Waco1947 said:

nein51 said:

Except human rights.

What about Helen and Alice's human rights? What about them?
Wrecks Quan Dough
whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

LOL it's like that. I had a station-issued Winchester Model 21 (odd piece of inventory, that) in Liberia and got it issued as my personal defense weapon at home (so I could use it hunting in the jungle on weekends, but I digress....)

So we're in the house one evening after work and the housing compound guards & gardeners, who have figured out I'm armed, come excitedly to the door. Snake in the tree. Compound was well groomed and had numerous large, mature mango trees.

So I grab the Winchester and go take a look. They're pointing at a mango tree in my neighbor's yard. I start looking. Can't see a snake. There's a LOT of leaves on a mango tree. A mango tree is a lot like a mature native Pecan Tree in shape & size. Imagine trying to spot a snake up high in a Pecan tree...... A couple of the staff come over behind to me and start pointing over my shoulder. No matter which way I turn, they stay behind me. They explain the snake is stretched out on top of the tree canopy, sunning itself. So I strain to look up 50+ feet thru a sea of green leaves to find a piece of a snake to shoot at. Finally, I see it. Just a geometric anomaly....about 6" of straight tubing silhouetted between a couple of leaves. Boom. Snake starts falling. Staff starts scrambling. Snake is dead. Green Mamba. +8 feet long. Much excitement ensues. Staff beating a dead snake with whatever they can get their hands on. the whole compound staff gets up involved in the process which ends with a celebratory dance down to the banks of the river to dispose of the snake.

By the time Bwana had shot the viper, all the misstresses of the houses had assembled on our back porch to watch. They were dying with laughter. At no point did any of the grounds/security staff assisting me allow themselves to get between me an the snake. Whatever happened, I was going to get bit first......

Commander McBragg: "There. Liberia. Did I ever tell you of my near-death encounter with the venomous Green Mamba?"

Companion: "No, Commander, I must really..."

Commander: "There I was amongst the an agitated group of natives searching for the elusive and deadly viper with only my trusty Model 21 for protection."
whiterock
Wrecks Quan Dough said:

whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

Commander McBragg: "There. Liberia. Did I ever tell you of my near-death encounter with the venomous Green Mamba?"

Commander: "There I was amongst the an agitated group of natives searching for the elusive and deadly viper with only my trusty Model 21 for protection."

LOL actually that was as close as I ever came. Hundreds of hours traipsing around in the rain forest at night. Nothing. All-night hikes. We'd get tired and just lay down on the forest floor & take a nap. Nothing. Not so much as a mosquito bite. But in the AM I'd hop in the Pajero to take my shikaris home and right on the edge of the village…..we'd see a cobra cross the road.

Turns out man makes better habitat for snakes than nature does. As true for copperheads as it is for cobras.

Same for mosquitos. I got malaria playing checkers at my driver's house one night in Monrovia.
Wrecks Quan Dough
whiterock said:

Wrecks Quan Dough said:

whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

LOL actually that was as close as I ever came. Hundreds of hours traipsing around in the rain forest at night. Nothing. All-night hikes. We'd get tired and just lay down on the forest floor & take a nap. Nothing. Not so much as a mosquito bite. But in the AM I'd hop in the Pajero to take my shikaris home and right on the edge of the village…..we'd see a cobra cross the road.

Turns out man makes better habitat for snakes than nature does. As true for copperheads as it is for cobras.

Same for mosquitos. I got malaria playing checkers at my driver's house one night in Monrovia.

Glad that was taken in the spirit intended. You never know when a snake might fall on you, as a Beaumont woman recently learned:

https://fox59.com/news/national-world/texas-woman-attacked-by-snake-that-fell-from-the-sky-then-a-hawk-hunting-it/

Texas woman attacked by snake that fell from the sky, then a hawk hunting it
JXL
Waco1947 said:

JXL said:

Waco1947 said:

nein51 said:

Waco1947 said:

nein51 said:

Except human rights.

Do you think they should have had any?
Redbrickbear
Wrecks Quan Dough said:

whiterock said:

Wrecks Quan Dough said:

whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

Glad that was taken in the spirit intended. You never know when a snake might fall on you, as a Beaumont woman recently learned:

https://fox59.com/news/national-world/texas-woman-attacked-by-snake-that-fell-from-the-sky-then-a-hawk-hunting-it/

Silsbee? That is pretty normal of the Big Thicket
whiterock
Wrecks Quan Dough said:

whiterock said:

Wrecks Quan Dough said:

whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

Mowing, particularly shredding rougher pasture, does attract predators: snakes, raptors, coyotes, foxes, etc.... The mowing forces all the prey species (particularly mice) to scurry. I once saw a hawk swoop down and fetch a baby rabbit from the other side of the pasture where I'd just mowed......rabbit hunkered down & let me pass, then scurried across the mowed area to reach some cover on the fenceline = didn't make it. Snakes will of course try to escape the machine, but they can also hunt bugs & such disturbed by the mowing. No doubt that hawk was tracking the lady/machine and noticed the snake out hunting....swoop....then dropped it on the lady and was so focused on the prey that it ignored the lady. People on machines are not people, to most predators. They are just part of the machine. Lions could snatch anyone off those photo safari wagons, but never do. Their mind just can't deconstruct the image to see food in the car. Just the car (which is not food).

Once when I was mowing in high school, I looked back to check the shredder and noticed a coyote trotting about 5 feet behind. Obviously waiting for the mice to scurry. As luck would have it, I was headed for exit from the pasture leading thru some trees to a gate. I just kept driving up to the gate, then up to the house. Fetched the .22lr Rifle in the cabinet. Laid it in my lap and drove back to the pasture and resumed shredding. on my first pass by the spot where I saw the coyote following me, I glanced over to my left and saw the coyote standing about 30 yds away, broadside. I stopped the tractor.......and later hung him on a fence post out on the highway.

No question the above dynamics were at play for this lady. She just got in the way.
Waco1947
JXL said:

Waco1947 said:

JXL said:

Waco1947 said:

nein51 said:

Waco1947 said:

nein51 said:

Except human rights.

Do you think they should have had any?
Silly question. You know the answer which is all humans have rights.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.