Legalizing Marijuana Is a Big Mistake

4,845 Views | 89 Replies | Last: 21 days ago by boognish_bear
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Mothra said:

Limited IQ Redneck in PU said:

He Hate Me said:

Alcohol is ;legal; because prohibition didnt work. How is the Nixon's war on drugs working? We are number !!!!!
The war on poverty is going far worse. We have spent over $25 trillion on it and have not received a positive return on investment.
But we are no where near the top in poverty. We rule in the incarcerating your own citizens game.

Among Western countries, we have one of the highest poverty rates in the world. Same goes for incarceration among western countries. We're not even close to the top and incarceration for non-western ce close.
This is the countries by highest rates

We're number 1!!!

Top 10 Countries with the highest rate of incarceration
[ol]
  • United States 629
  • Rwanda 580
  • Turkmenistan 576
  • El Salvador 564
  • Cuba 510
  • Palau 478
  • British Virgin Islands (U.K. territory) 477
  • Thailand 445
  • Panama 423
  • Saint Kitts and nevis 423
  • Top 10 Countries with the most people in prison
    [ol]
  • United States 2,068,800
  • China 1,690,000
  • Brazil 811,707
  • India 478,600
  • Russia 471,490
  • Thailand 309,282
  • Turkey 291,198
  • Indonesia 266,259
  • Mexico 220,866
  • Iran 189,000
  • Kitts and Nevis 423
  • https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/incarceration-rates-by-country[/ol][/ol]

I am pretty sure this is a reliable page. Where did you see China imprisons more?

Oldbear83
    DancinBear09 said:

Mothra said:

He Hate Me said:

Alcohol is ;legal; because prohibition didnt work. How is the Nixon's war on drugs working? We are number !!!!!
    The war on poverty is going far worse. We have spent over $25 trillion on it and have not received a positive return on investment.
    But we are no where near the top in poverty. We rule in the incarcerating your own citizens game.

Among Western countries, we have one of the highest poverty rates in the world. Same goes for incarceration among western countries. We're not even close to the top and incarceration for non-western countries.

We are 2nd to China in the number of incarcerated citizens and the 3rd highest (Brazil) is far behind the US and China.
    https://www.statista.com/statistics/262961/countries-with-the-most-prisoners/

These numbers depend on what each country chooses to announce as their number.

Not all of them should be trusted.
    KaiBear
    Oldbear83 said:

DancinBear09 said:

Mothra said:

He Hate Me said:

Among Western countries, we have one of the highest poverty rates in the world. Same goes for incarceration among western countries. We're not even close to the top and incarceration for non-western countries.

We are 2nd to China in the number of incarcerated citizens and the 3rd highest (Brazil) is far behind the US and China.

The whole discussion is irrelevant anyway .

There are thousands of felons who are released early only to commit more crimes .

The overwhelming majority of prison inmates are in there because they deserve to be .
    DancinBear09
    I was curious to see what the percentage of inmates were incarcerated for based on offense and thought this was interesting.

https://www.bop.gov/about/statistics/statistics_inmate_offenses.jsp

In the month of April, 44% of the incarcerated were for drug offenses. I would like to see more data before I jump to conclusions, but this is likely an indicator of what the stats are on an annual basis.
    Osodecentx
    DancinBear09 said:

I was curious to see what the percentage of inmates were incarcerated for based on offense and thought this was interesting.

In the month of April, 44% of the incarcerated were for drug offenses. I would like to see more data before I jump to conclusions, but this is likely an indicator of what the stats are on an annual basis.

Couldn't determine the number of marijuana incarcerations
    You?
    DancinBear09
    They didn't get that specific and I don't know why you oddly seem to want me to defend a position I never had. I never said marijuana was the bulk of drug related incarcerations. It's definitely a piece of it, but it's probably less of the equation over the years considering 18 states are recreationally legal.
    Osodecentx
    DancinBear09 said:

They didn't get that specific and I don't know why you oddly seem to want me to defend a position I never had. I never said marijuana was the bulk of drug related incarcerations. It's definitely a piece of it, but it's probably less of the equation over the years considering 18 states are recreationally legal.
    The thread says "Legalizing Marijuana Is a Big Mistake"
    One of the big reasons some advocates of legalization make is crowded prisons (high incarceration rates).

You seem to take that same position when you posted:
    "I was curious to see what the percentage of inmates were incarcerated for based on offense and thought this was interesting.

In the month of April, 44% of the incarcerated were for drug offenses. I would like to see more data before I jump to conclusions, but this is likely an indicator of what the stats are on an annual basis."

I simply asked you what percent were marijuana related. It's your post and your website.

What is your position on the legalization of marijuana? Do you believe current marijuana laws are causing mass incarcerations?
    Mothra
    Oldbear83 said:

DancinBear09 said:

Mothra said:

He Hate Me said:

Honestly I'm shocked you're having to even tell him this.
    Mothra
    See this link. You're wrong again.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/262962/countries-with-the-most-prisoners-per-100-000-inhabitants/#:~:text=El%20Salvador%20is%20not%20only,per%20100%2C000%20inhabitants%20in%202022.

And, of course, this number depends on the accurate reporting. China, Russia, Cuba, Venezuela, and the like never report the number of incarcerated.
    ATL Bear
    DancinBear09 said:

Osodecentx said:

DancinBear09 said:

Mothra said:

He Hate Me said:

That isn't marijuana possession cases locking up folks

It's definitely part of the statistic…not quite sure what point you are trying to make.
    The factual point that personal marijuana use and minor possession is statistically insignificant in incarceration rates,
    ATL Bear
    DancinBear09 said:

If the gripe is drug related incarceration is what keeps the rates high in the US, then to impact that you'd need to legalize hard drugs and eliminate trafficking laws because that is the vast majority of drug related incarcerations. Oh and by the way, you'd need to curb some gun laws too, because commission of those crimes while in possession of a firearm is a sentence multiplier.
    luisgibson
    The problem is not with legalization but with people. We're just not responsible enough to control what we do and often don't think about the consequences.
    For someone, legalization can be a relief ( when it comes to medical conditions), but for someone, it can be fatal.
    But we all are responsible for the consequences, so I'll just follow the situation and see what there will be in the end
    boognish_bear
    BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

KaiBear said:

Why are so many people afraid of other peoples freedom?

Because while they are possessed in the euphoria of certain 'freedoms '; they are a lethal threat to innocent people .
    I have never smoked pot. I just dont think I have any right to your personal choices. I have enough trouble making decisions for myself, much less trying to dictate what you can or cant do.

Do you think alcohol, which is much more dangerous than most other drugs, should be legal?
    I had a co-worker whose mom and brother were coming home one night and were struck by a drunk driver and killed. Should I tell her she shouldn't be afraid of other other people's freedom to alcohol?
    People have the freedom to drink....they don't have the freedom to drive drunk.
    Redbrickbear
    boognish_bear said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

KaiBear said:

Because while they are possessed in the euphoria of certain 'freedoms '; they are a lethal threat to innocent people .
    I have never smoked pot. I just dont think I have any right to your personal choices. I have enough trouble making decisions for myself, much less trying to dictate what you can or cant do.

Do you think alcohol, which is much more dangerous than most other drugs, should be legal?
    I had a co-worker whose mom and brother were coming home one night and were struck by a drunk driver and killed. Should I tell her she shouldn't be afraid of other other people's freedom to alcohol?

States and counties also sets limits on where, when, and how much potency alcohol can have.

Half the counties in the USA were still dry in 1990....many still are today.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dry_communities_by_U.S._state

North Dakota entered the Union as a completely dry state. Mississippi did not repeal is prohibition law until 1966.

And states require alcohol to be less potent in many places.

[Current Utah law sets a limit of 4.0 percent alcohol by weight (5% ABV) in beer sold at grocery and convenience stores and at establishments operating under a "beer only" type license]

[In Oklahoma, Alcohol stronger than 3.2% abw could only by sold by a licensed retail package store at room temperature. Any establishment with a beer license could sell 3.2% abw beer regulated by Oklahoma's ABLE commission ]

[Not until 1985 could you buy a single liquor drink at a bar.... Oklahoma became the 49th state to allow liquor by the drink with the passage of State Question 563 with 51% of the vote.]
    boognish_bear
    Redbrickbear said:

boognish_bear said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

KaiBear said:

States and counties also sets limits on where, when, and how much potency alcohol can have.

Half the counties in the USA where dry in 1990....many still are today.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dry_communities_by_U.S._state

North Dakota enter the Union as a completely dry state. Mississippi did not repeal is prohibition law until 1966
    And states require alcohol to be less potent in many places.

[Current Utah law sets a limit of 4.0 percent alcohol by weight (5% ABV) in beer sold at grocery and convenience stores and at establishments operating under a "beer only" type license]

[In Oklahoma, Alcohol stronger than 3.2% abw could only by sold by a licensed retail package store at room temperature. Any establishment with a beer license could sell 3.2% abw beer regulated by Oklahoma's ABLE commission ]

[Not until 1985 could you buy a single liquor drink at a bar.... Oklahoma became the 49th state to allow liquor by the drink with the passage of State Question 563 with 51% of the vote.]
    It's still legal to drink in those counties....you just can't purchase it in stores there.
    boognish_bear
    william
    why can't kids today just drink coffee??

PA.

- UL

... and, as always, TIA.

{ sipping coffee }

BID.
    Go Bears!
    ron.reagan
    boognish_bear said:

I hate seeing all the woke people at Nascar
    Wrecks Quan Dough
    ron.reagan said:

boognish_bear said:

I hate seeing all the woke people at Nascar

Good point, Bubba.
    boognish_bear

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.