Why Are We in Ukraine?

322,429 Views | 5859 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by whiterock
whiterock
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Realitybites said:

Redbrickbear said:

What you do and the Neo-Cons suppose we should do with Russia then…a 500 to 700 year old State that has nuclear weapons and 140 million people.?

Invade the country? Try to abolish it completely?

All Russia has to do to come back into the good graces of the new world order is:

(1) Give Donetsk, Lugansk, and Crimea to Ukraine
(2) Quit promoting Christianity
(3) Legalize gay marriage and transgenderism
(4) Expand abortion rights
(5) Allow for unrestricted immigration
(6) Eliminate it's 13% flat tax and institute a progressive tax code
(7) Legislate restrictions on fossil fuels and begin to aggressively advance the green agenda

See how easy that would be?
Actually, only #1 really matters.
Harrison Bergeron
Redbrickbear said:

They weren't bribing The Biden Crime Family for nothing.
KaiBear
Did the war in Ukraine end ?

News reports from that region have almost disappeared.

Time to end the sanctions on Putin ?

Business is business unless you are already dead.
Realitybites
As the reality of Ukraine's impending defeat begins to dawn on the neocons and their democrat friends, more truth about the war comes to light. Remember how earlier in the thread saner minds reported how high Ukrainian casualties were getting only to be dismissed by people who said we were conflating WIA and KIA?

Well, this from a Ukrainian source:

"Ukrainian TV Channel 1+1 reported that the AFU's casualties so far were 1,126,652 KIAs and MIAs."

That's killed and missing, not wounded... And twice as high as my worst estimates. This unnecessary stupidity has led the Ukrainian people to commit suicide, and that is truly sad.
trey3216
Realitybites said:

As the reality of Ukraine's impending defeat begins to dawn on the neocons and their democrat friends, more truth about the war comes to light. Remember how earlier in the thread saner minds reported how high Ukrainian casualties were getting only to be dismissed by people who said we were conflating WIA and KIA?

"Ukrainian TV Channel 1+1 reported that the AFU's casualties so far were 1,126,652 KIAs and MIAs."

That's killed and missing, not wounded... And twice as high as my worst estimates. This unnecessary stupidity has led the Ukrainian people to commit suicide, and that is truly sad.

You got a link?
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Bear8084
trey3216 said:

Realitybites said:

You got a link?

https://media.1plus1.ua/en/news/sprostuvannia-11-media-shhodo-feikovogo-video-pid-brendingom-telekanalu-11-marafon-ta-jedinix-novin

Shocking it was a fake and a vatnik fell for it.
Realitybites
Good fake, got me. Unlike the democrats and their neocon friends I'm perfectly willing to admit when I am wrong. When you are interpreting events on the other side of the world in another language things happen.

The KIA / MIA number three times what it really is should have been a clue.

The point remains though, that Ukraine is losing badly and is engaged in a needless suicide of its people.
Bear8084
Realitybites

The point remains though, that Ukraine is losing badly and is engaged in a needless suicide of its people.[/quote said:

Point remains you're still falling for RU propaganda.
whiterock
Realitybites said:

Good fake, got me. Unlike the democrats and their neocon friends I'm perfectly willing to admit when I am wrong. When you are interpreting events on the other side of the world in another language things happen.

The point remains though, that Ukraine Russia is losing badly and is engaged in a needless suicide of its people.
Edit is far closer to the truth.
Realitybites
Your responses have simply proven my point.

Russia is not losing. Avdiivka will fall, opening the way to Donetsk city.
trey3216
Realitybites said:

What do you mean by "opening the way to Donetsk city?"

trey3216
Realitybites said:

The point remains though, that Ukraine is losing badly and is engaged in a needless suicide of its people.
Yep. Things are going just aces for Russia...

https://www.newsweek.com/russia-nato-ukraine-war-s400-air-defense-kaliningrad-poland-lithuania-suwalki-gap-1846945
quash
FLBear5630 said:

quash said:

FLBear5630 said:

quash said:

FLBear5630 said:

Redbrickbear said:

FLBear5630 said:

Redbrickbear said:

FLBear5630 said:

Redbrickbear said:

FLBear5630 said:

Redbrickbear said:

whiterock said:

quash said:

whiterock said:

quash said:

whiterock said:

quash said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

FLBear5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

FLBear5630 said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

Just curious ... asking for a unicorn I know .. who can make the affirmative case that artificially funding Ukraine's economy serves what national interests of the U.S.?

Maybe I am a Reagan Cold War guy, but I agreed with Scott and Haley last night on Ukraine. Anything we do to weaken Putin is good for US.
Reagan couldn't disagree more. Biden is undoing everything that he accomplished.

Reagan would stand by and let Putin invade Ukraine? Grenada/Iran-Contra Ron would have said, we are out let Russia have Ukraine? After he worked to get Ukrainian independence. Yeah.

I served why Ronnie was President. You know how many times we (82nd Abn) got ready to deploy and sit at Pope Air Field so the satellites could get a good look? You think he was bluffing? I don't, the officers and AF personnel managing our aircraft didn't. Sitting in a stick on a tarmac for 8 hours is no fun. This happened that I can remember with Libya and Poland. Every EDRE was a satellite opportunity to show strength and he used it. Reagan also supplies Afghan Rebels and Solidarity in Poland. Reagan would not stand by and let Putin do this.

He wouldn't have to. Reagan never would have put us in this situation to begin with. Read up on his dealings with Gorbachev and how he worked for peace despite the skepticism of his advisers.
....and against the advice of his advisors proceeded with SDI, walked out of a summit in Reykjavik, stood in front of the Brandenburg Gate and demanded "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"

Reagan pushed the Soviets harder than any POTUS before him or since.

He believed in peace through strength. There are too many people who can only understand half the equation.

Exactly. We denied Ukraine the means to adequate deterrence. Look what happened.

Ooo, so close.

We denied Ukraine their elected president and installed a thug instead.

But you have never, ever, even shown what direct American interest is involved in this war. Are you getting something out of this?

LOL there you stand, "always wrong, never in doubt...."

Wrong about what? "**** the EU"? The thug? The lack of a direct American interest? Try to be specific.

the clear national interest has been laid out many, many times. You ignore it because it guts your case.

You've laid out arguments for indirect interests. You haven't come close to elucidating a direct American interest.

Because you don't have one

NATO is a "direct interest," is it not?

NATO is not threatened or attacked.

It's kind of like saying I might have to shoot someone if they cross onto my property line..and then like saying actually if they cross into my neighborhood at all I get to shoot them

Russia is in the neighborhood…but they are not on our property
So, you have no problem with Russia just taking Ukraine? China taking Taiwan, Viet Nam? Not our issue. Russian wants Cuba, they are just in our neighborhood. We have no agreement to prevent it??? Venezula, sure.

As long as it doesn't inconvenience you, they can do whatever they want.

Well…We almost fought a nuclear war with the USSR over Cuba.

And we did it because we would never accept Soviet troops so close to our borders.

Of course modern Russia will never accept NATO troops in eastern Ukraine.

And of course Cuba was not a major port for the USA navy….like Crimea is for the Russian fleet.

And Soviet troops could not drive from Cuba to Miami.

American-NATO troops in Ukraine could roll right to Moscow by highway

But, we are not discussing what did happen. We are discussing what you want. Using your logic, US was wrong. Russia should be able to take Cuba. Russia should be able to take Ukraine. Not our problem and none of our business, no support from US taxpayer. US tax payer should help no one, that is the RedBrick way. Whatever keeps RedBrick taxes at their lowest...

I think you are misunderstanding geopolitics

The USA would and did resist letting Cuba become a base for the Soviets (rightfully so)

And Russia would and will resist letting Ukraine become a base for NATO.

Forget my taxes for a moment and ask yourself why you want Ukraine to become a USA proxy state? What does it gain us but a potential war with Russia?

The USA has somehow been able to survive since 1776 without Ukraine as an ally.

Now we are told it's a vital ally…since when?

No I don't misunderstand geopolitics. I know enough that isolationism is a ticket to being in a weakened state...

Isolationist? lol

The USA is not isolationist and has not been for 75 years…and is in no danger of being so

This is about if the USA should risk all it has over peripheral 3rd world states that offer us very very little.

We are not in Ukraine. There are no troops in Ukraine. We are supporting them by providing equipment and info. Now, we can discuss level of support. But, not supporting basically give Russia carte blanche. I am surprised, so many "Reagan-ites" that are against supporting a Nation trying to align west. Very un-Ronnie.

Ukraine is not a nation "trying to align west."

Ukraine elected a Russia leaning president. We helped get him kicked out. We rejected the EU's choice (Remember Victoria Nuland's "**** the EU"? **** Victoria Nuland.) We helped put a thug in power.

He is not aligning with the West, he is getting financed by the west.

Again, without any direct American interest at risk or at play.

Huh, that is the exact opposite of what the Ukrainians say. They say that Putin put a Russian Thug in and influenced elections through Spetznaz and their usual means. When a real election was held, Zelinsky won.

Also, Zelinski has asked to be part of NATO several times and the EU. But, that is not wanting to align with the West?

Keep reading Pravda comrade, there is a nice little red book you can get cheap, made in China.

The Ukrainians that say that aren't entirely wrong.

But what you say sounds more like life support financing than alignment. Did you speak with any imprisoned dissidents? Any of the closed media outlets?

My opinion is based on a Ukrainian that I helped get here. Her and her family are from Kiev. They do not view Zelensky as many portray as an American plant. They view the other guy as a Russian plant that was deposed. I know for a fact she had to tell her Grandmother not to get on the Russian buses and to go home and wait for family to get her.

So my view is a little different from those just talking what they think. Her family is still in Kiev.

I'd cite Ukrainian media but Zelenski closed so many of them ..
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Redbrickbear
quash
Redbrickbear said:

Close. A Too Party state.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Sam Lowry
Have they severed the land bridge yet?
4th and Inches
Sam Lowry said:

welcome back.. hope all is well
Adopt-a-Bear 2024

#90 COOPER LANZ ( DL )
CLASS Junior
HT/WT 6' 3", 288 lbs

#50 KAIAN ROBERTS-DAY ( DL )
CLASS Sophomore
HT/WT 6' 3", 273 lbs
Redbrickbear
Realitybites
Redbrickbear said:

Looks like they're getting ready to release the sequel to "Firing a Speaker"..."A Backbencher Gets Bought." These government-americans are nothing but a pack of hyenas ripping chunks of flesh off the carcass of the nation before it decays and becomes inedible.
whiterock
trey3216 said:

Realitybites said:

What do you mean by "opening the way to Donetsk city?"

To what, pray tell, did Bakhmut open the door?

Meanwhile, Russian defense on the east bank in Kherson is tottering........
Redbrickbear
Redbrickbear
Interesting…

Shocking list of things happening in Russia.

(From a WaPo no less)

[-Investment is soaring because Russian oligarchs have nowhere else to park their money

-Tourism and restaurant business are flourishing.

-Oil/gas exports are robust. Europe apparently is buying Russian energy through intermediaries like India & Turkey.

-Chinese goods have replaced Western products; and yuan has replaced dollar and Euro.

-In January, the IMF said that Russian economy will *shrink* by 2.3%. Now, the same IMF says that Russia's GDP will grow by 2.2%.

-Budget deficit is insignificant (1% of GDP)

-And Putin's approval rate up]

Bear8084
Redbrickbear
Bear8084 said:

Failed to put Russia on a war time footing…no doubt

He has only called up 300,000 reservists. Basically the same number little Israel just called up for their war against the Palestinians.

But how does that translate to "exacerbated social tensions indicate that this failure is having a tangible effect on Russian society ahead of the 2024…"

If anything a mass mobilization for an unpopular war in Ukraine would created the exacerbation and social tension.

Not having the war really affect the daily lives of Russians is exactly how the Kremlin gets away with keeping this conflict going
KaiBear
Sam Lowry said:

Sort of.

The right of way easement has been re directed to Tel Aviv
whiterock
KaiBear said:

Sam Lowry said:

Sort of.

The right of way easement has been re directed to Tel Aviv
other easements are being impeded.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/ukraine-conducts-new-attack-russian-railway-deep-siberia-source-2023-12-01/

If UKR can conduct sabotage that deep into Russian territory.......
Redbrickbear
Redbrickbear
Doc Holliday
Redbrickbear said:

Exactly.

Everything revolves around money.
Redbrickbear
Redbrickbear
whiterock
Flippin' incredible. Biden slow-walking the aid, to drag out the conflict going, rather than pushing for the win. Just....well.......geez.....

Redbrickbear
whiterock
Redbrickbear said:

not resurrecting it at all. Just noting the bloody flippin' obvious - that moving Russian armies 600mi closer to NATO armies increases risk of direct contact between Nato/Russia.
Realitybites
Musk Asks Zelensky About Imprisoned American Journalist

Following his release, Lira said he was tortured in a Ukrainian prison, explaining that "two thugs held my head and used a toothpick to scratch the whites of my left eye, while asking me if I could still read if I had just one." Lira informed followers that he was making a mad-dash via motorcycle towards the Hungarian border:
Quote:

Right now, I'm about to try to get out of Ukraine, and seek political asylum in Hungary.

Either I'll cross the border and make it to safety, or I'll be disappeared by the Kiev regime.

This is what's happened to me over the past three months.

1/25
Gonzalo Lira (@GonzaloLira1968) July 31, 2023

That's a California-born American citizen.

I guarantee that Brittany Griner was treated better by the Russians than this.

And the corrupt Biden administration won't lift a finger to secure his release.

Hopefully our GOP congresscritters will hold the line and pull the plug on Ukraine aid this week.
First Page Last Page
Page 44 of 168

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.