Campus Protests

37,491 Views | 1022 Replies | Last: 9 sec ago by Waco1947
GrowlTowel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I was at BU undergrad from 1992-1996. I believe in 1994, there was an Earth Day celebration on campus and Planned Parenthood set up a booth to bring attention to population growth nothing specific about abortion or women's health care (we could define a woman in those days). Dub Oliver, a dean or an assistant dean at the time, ran them off campus because it was, well, Planned Parenthood. It caused several weeks of articles in the Lariat but nothing more.

I remember thinking at the time how wonderful it was to simply go to class and not have to listen to other's political bs.

Sic'Em
Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
Johnny Bear
One of the great ironies about "Earth Day" celebrations used to be that the mostly lefty participants usually totally trashed and littered the areas they were demonstrating in before they were done.
Harrison Bergeron
Amazing the "silence is violence" crowd tolerates anti-Jewish rhetoric, calls for violence, and genocide..
GrowlTowel
The problem with the left is that it can never call a freak a freak. Every freak is a potential vote no matter how extreme the freak is.
Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Harrison Bergeron said:

Amazing the "silence is violence" crowd tolerates anti-Jewish rhetoric, calls for violence, and genocide..
Anyone on American soil chanting Intifada or Death to America should immediately given a one way plane ticket to Gaza or Iran. This includes American citizens. Don't threaten Americans and expect zero consequences. Most of the cowards are wearing masks.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
midgett
Walking through the Capitol building is 6 years in prison.

Protesting and screaming "Death to America ", burning our flag and pushing for the elimination of Jews is acceptable.

I say protesting to Death to America is immediate grounds for deportation even if you were born here.
Daveisabovereproach
Honestly, it shows you why so many people look down on college in general. I'm starting to get it. I've seen pictures of a lot of these ivy league protesters. Many of them are the same people that will be crying on TikTok in a couple years about how no one will hire them when they graduate from Columbia with their sociology degrees. Kamala Harris's daughter will of course land on her feet
Redbrickbear
Harrison Bergeron said:

Why?

They have been tolerating anti-White and anti-American discourse on their campuses for decades.

Jews are now just being thrown in with Whites
Daveisabovereproach
Redbrickbear said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

Why?

They have been tolerating anti-White and anti-American discourse on their campuses for decades.

I'm wondering when Jews will wake up and realize that most Democrats by and large hate them and would gladly be working the death camps free of charge if they lived in 1940s Europe. 70% of Jews in the US identify as democrat…..

https://www.pewresearch.org/religion/2021/05/11/u-s-jews-political-views/
Redbrickbear
Whiskey Pete
I find it wildly ironic that the From the River to the Sea wackos insist on trying to label Trump and his supporters as Nazis.

Their utter lack of self awareness is completely astounding.z

But, I shouldn't be surprised the generation that grew up eating Tide Pods are now calling for Death to America.
Johnny Bear
No Quarterback said:

Redbrickbear said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

Why?

I'm wondering when Jews will wake up and realize that most Democrats by and large hate them and would gladly be working the death camps free of charge if they lived in 1940s Europe. 70% of Jews in the US identify as democrat…..

It's a great question and for years I've similarly wondered when if ever the black community is going to wake up in mass and realize the democrats are anything but your friends and only care about keeping you dumbed down to the fullest extent possible, along with being habitually angry, bitter, dependent on the government and generally duped into believing if the democrats aren't in power it's "all over" for you. You'd think after 6 decades of the same snake oil salesman type con job more people in that community would at least have a clue by now.

It's unbelievable how some major voting blocks just continually vote for their own demise.
Frank Galvin
The protests gained notoriety because Columbia's administration was having protestors arrested.

So how is the Columbia administration coddling woke kids? Isn't that what you are asking schools to do?
Harrison Bergeron
Frank Galvin said:

The protests gained notoriety because Columbia's administration was having protestors arrested.

So how is the Columbia administration coddling woke kids? Isn't that what you are asking schools to do?
The protests gained notoriety for their violence, racism, and calls for genocide.
Wangchung
Whiskey Pete said:

I find it wildly ironic that the From the River to the Sea wackos insist on trying to label Trump and his supporters as Nazis.

Their utter lack of self awareness is completely astounding.z

But, I shouldn't be surprised the generation that grew up eating Tide Pods are now calling for Death to America.
The Nazis didn't see themselves the way everyone else saw them, either. They had their narrative and everyone else was simply wrong, evil and inferior. Their media reinforced that narrative, just like today.
Our vibrations were getting nasty. But why? I was puzzled, frustrated... Had we deteriorated to the level of dumb beasts?
muddybrazos
No Quarterback said:

Redbrickbear said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

Why?

Jews pretty much control the democrat party. Sec of state, Sec of DHS, Sec of Treasury, Attorney Gen, Chair of economic advisors, Asst Sec of Health, Senate Majority Leader etc.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

Anyone on American soil chanting Intifada or Death to America should immediately given a one way plane ticket to Gaza or Iran. This includes American citizens. Don't threaten Americans and expect zero consequences. Most of the cowards are wearing masks.
I could live with that. Or stop letting them enjoy all the freedom and perks we get here. No use of roads, no police protection, no welfare, no use schools etc
Frank Galvin
Harrison Bergeron said:

Frank Galvin said:

The protests gained notoriety for their violence, racism, and calls for genocide.
Not really. But even if so, Columbia's reaction was to have protestors arrested. What else should the school administration do? Double secret probation?
Frank Galvin
Also, this thread is not big on free speech. What is the difference between the First and Second Amendments?
whitetrash
Frank Galvin said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

Frank Galvin said:

Not really. But even if so, Columbia's reaction was to have protestors arrested. What else shoud the school administration do? Double secret probation?
Notify their local draft boards that they are now all eligible for military service.

The_barBEARian
Harrison Bergeron said:

Its not surprising if you are a white, legacy American, male.

We have been experiencing this type of rhetoric from the usual suspects for awhile now.

RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Limited IQ Redneck in PU said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

I could live with that. Or stop letting them enjoy all the freedom and perks we get here. No use of roads, no police protection, no welfare, no use schools etc
Amen Brother! The Biden Administration should immediately deport the six worse offenders of "Death to America." Process and deport them IMMEDIATELY!!! Make it the #1 hyped National news story. Watch how quickly these hateful demonstrations die.

-- Barack Obama
Mothra
Frank Galvin said:

Also, this thread is not big on free speech. What is the difference between the First and Second Amendments?
Big difference between "free speech," as you call it, and the heckler's veto. The latter is what is taking place at Columbia, with pro-Hamas students harassing people for merely being Jewish. Yesterday, they formed a human chain to specifically prevent Jewish students from entering buildings.

Instead of "free speech," it is something more akin to this:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Frank Galvin said:

Making terroristic threats to Americans and Jews is not free speech. It is against the law. Enforce the law.

Not sure why you people have so much distinguishing between the two.

Hopefully the law will be enforced and the terrorists don't get to see the 2nd amendment up close and personal.

-- Barack Obama
Frank Galvin
Mothra said:

Frank Galvin said:

Big difference between "free speech," as you call it, and the heckler's veto. The latter is what is taking place at Columbia, with pro-Hamas students harassing people for merely being Jewish. Yesterday, they formed a human chain to specifically prevent Jewish students from entering buildings.

I am certain both types of speech are happening. Anyone preventing access to public buildings is disturbing the peace. Someone who threatens the person or property of another with intent to follow through is making a criminal threat. If someone lays hands on another, it is assault. Arrest and remove them, which it sounds like the school is doing.

Offensive speech like Death to America and war criminal or flag burning is protected. It has to be for the First Amendment to have any meaning.
boognish_bear
BusyTarpDuster2017
Frank Galvin said:

You leftists really do live in your own reality, don't you?
Frank Galvin
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Frank Galvin said:

No, free speech is pretty basic to American reality.
BusyTarpDuster2017
Frank Galvin said:

Mothra said:

Frank Galvin said:

I am certain both types of speech are happening. Anyone preventing access to public buildings is disturbing the peace. Someone who threatens the person or property of another with intent to follow through is making a criminal threat. If someone lays hands on another, it is assault. Arrest and remove them, which it sounds like the school is doing.

Offensive speech like Death to America and war criminal or flag burning is protected. It has to be for the First Amendment to have any meaning.
Saying "death" to a country is not protected free speech. Maybe you should learn what the first amendment is first.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Frank Galvin said:

Mothra said:

Frank Galvin said:

"Death to America" goes over the line. I am an American. Wishing for my death is a direct threat to me, as well as most of my fellow 330 million Americans. I have no problem with making a bonfire out of Palestinian flags and Korans. I don't do it out of respect. That respect is fading fast.

"Death to America" chants are just fine in Gaza, Iran, Iraq, etc. They are unacceptable on American soil.

-- Barack Obama
BusyTarpDuster2017
Frank Galvin said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Frank Galvin said:

No, free speech is pretty basic to American reality.
It is, but the question is are you in that reality.
Frank Galvin
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Frank Galvin said:

Mothra said:

Frank Galvin said:

Saying "death" to a country is not protected free speech. Maybe you should learn what the first amendment is first.
It is a political statement which gets the most protection under the First Amendment. On the other hand it is anti-American. The relevant precedent is Bradenburg v. Ohio where SCOTUS phrased the test this way:

Government cannot censor anti-government speech unless it is "directed to inciting or producing imminent lawless action and is likely to incite or produce such action." College kids chanting is not specifc enough to say there is imminentn lawless action and is not likely to produce that action. It is most certanly free speech protected by the First Amendement just as burning American flags is.

Of course Columbia is not the government and it can do whatever it feels appropriate to student chanters.
Redbrickbear
boognish_bear said:

Funny I don't remember them taking such a hard stand against the BLM protests and riots.....
Johnny Bear
Frank Galvin said:

Mothra said:

Frank Galvin said:

My question is what consequences, if any, are these students being "arrested" facing other than possibly they now have a police record? Looks like they're just being quickly released and for the most part subsequently laughing it off with their fellow terrorist supporters. What good does getting arrested do if the consequences aren't serious enough to at least have a deterrent affect?
Harrison Bergeron
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Frank Galvin said:

Obvious every day. Obvious who gets their news from The View.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.