Could Biden Take a Dive Thursday?

2,413 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by chriscbear
Oldbear83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Tomorrow evening, Republican presumptive nominee and former President Donald Trump will face off against Democrat presumptive nominee and current President Joe Biden in a televised debate hosted by CNN, notably moderated by two individuals known for distinctly immoderate political positions. The debate is widely considered as potentially decisive in shaping voter decisions just ahead of the party conventions. It occurs to me that among the possible plans, would be one where Biden has an on-air medical event. Here is why I think that could happen:

Biden has trailed Trump all year long in the polls, and it gets worse when you look at the battleground states.
So, for all the talk that the race is too close to call, Trump is clearly in the lead and nothing Biden has done up to now has changed that fact. Team Biden clearly hopes to provoke Trump into the angry behavior he showed in the first debate in 2020, while presenting Biden as informed, calm and in control. The problems with that plan include Trump not falling into that predictable trap, and the fact that Joe Biden has struggled to appear focused and clear-headed for long periods for the better part of two years. Democrats certainly ought to know that this option is not a very likely one.

Option two for Democrats is an effective draw either both Biden and Trump act like fools and voters are disgusted by them, or Biden does a passable job while Trump maintains his dignity, which would gain support for both men but would not help Biden pass Trump in support, as his record in office is still horrendous and the voters know it very well.

Options three and four are degrees of nightmares for Democrats. In the third case, Trump stays on issues while Biden fades and starts to repeat some of the confused mumbling we have seen from him this year, this time with no chance for his supporters to claim it was taken out of context. Or worst of all, Biden slides into an outright rant of insults and delusion while Trump lets him destroy his image in front of the nation.

The odds are 3-1 in that description against Biden coming out well, and frankly if Trump could keep his mouth shut while being ambushed in court as he has for months now, he certainly can control his temper for 90 minutes on TV, while Biden … simply has not demonstrated the capacity to stay on message for the length of a press conference, at least since his SOTU address, which had very different conditions than Biden will see tomorrow.

The Democrats certainly have to be aware that this could all spin out of control very quickly tomorrow, and that brings me to what they would have to have planned for that eventuality.

Historically, replacing a major party nominee late in the campaign, and let's be clear that the Primaries were over long ago, so we are well into the General Campaign, bodes poorly for a party. LBJ was forced to pull out of the race in the spring of 1968, and the Democrats never looked unified the rest of that year. This point is also probably one reason why the GOP did not replace President Ford with Ronald Reagan in 1976 they certainly understood that Reagan was much stronger than Ford at that point, except that replacing the presumptive nominee at that point would throw their campaign into chaos. But Biden's increasing instability may decide the matter for Democrats, and I suspect there may be a point where handlers decide to abandon him … in which case they may decide Biden would have a medical episode of some kind.

This would allow the DNC to pick the nominee, while selling Biden as a sympathetic image to voters. Going back to Johnson, he certainly played JFK's death to his advantage, as that thoroughly unlikeable man rode the nation's grief over Kennedy to a curb-stomping win in 1964. While no one seriously imagines Joe Biden could be compared to John Kennedy, the playbook is already written for that eventuality, and I am sure the Democrats are ready to call the play if Joe gets into real trouble tomorrow.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
One candidate loves his country. One candidate does not know what country he's in. A simple choice.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
ABC BEAR
All this could be moot. I'm not even certain there will be an election held this year.
KaiBear
Expectations are so low for Biden all he has to do is appear wide awake and 95% of the media will declare him the winner.
Sam Lowry
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

One candidate loves his country.
That's some good news. Is it too late to invite him?
Mothra
ABC BEAR said:

I'm not even certain there will be an election held this year.
What makes you say that?
Fre3dombear
Biden by 8,000,000

Don't waste anytime or emotion. Submit
J.R.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

One candidate loves his country. One candidate does not know what country he's in. A simple choice.
really? that unusefull idiot love nothing but himself and that is a huge problem. you don't think Biden loves his country ?( I do not agree with most of his policies) Grifters gonna grift.
Oldbear83
the good news: Biden does love his country

the bad news: Judging from who paid him, Biden's country is not the USA.
Jack and DP
Did you write all of that or copy it?
LIB,MR BEARS
J.R. said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

really? that unusefull idiot love nothing but himself and that is a huge problem. you don't think Biden loves his country ?( I do not agree with most of his policies) Grifters gonna grift.
which grifter are you speaking of, the one with all the family-owned shell companies or the one that's a petulant womanizer with little to no record of sponging off other nations?
BusyTarpDuster2017
Oh, Biden will take a dive alright. A dive into a pool of modafinil, Adderall, methylphenidate, and extra hemoglobin before the debate.
KaiBear
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Oh, Biden will take a dive alright. A dive into a pool of modafinil, Adderall, methylphenidate, and extra hemoglobin before the debate.

And people who can't accept such a probability have never read about all the drugs Kennedy was injected with daily.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
J.R. said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

really? Grifters gonna grift.
Donald Trump donates his entire salary to charity. I ain't no rocket scientist, but that doesn't sound like grifting to me. Why in the world would the man subject himself every single day to the attacks from the lame brains on the Left? He doesn't need to. It is not money that motivates him.

I honestly believe Joe Biden is much sharper and alert than the majority of his supporters. We have sure gotten stupid quickly as a country. I would think with the 9,000,000+ "newcomers" that have entered illegally, the average IQ in the U.S. has probably gone up!

-- Barack Obama
Harrison Bergeron
The key learning from the debate is already there: our president has been in hiding for seven days and no one noticed.
Bestweekeverr
Oldbear83 said:

It occurs to me that among the possible plans, would be one where Biden has an on-air medical event.

But Biden's increasing instability may decide the matter for Democrats, and I suspect there may be a point where handlers decide to abandon him … in which case they may decide Biden would have a medical episode of some kind.

This would allow the DNC to pick the nominee, while selling Biden as a sympathetic image to voters. Going back to Johnson, he certainly played JFK's death to his advantage, as that thoroughly unlikeable man rode the nation's grief over Kennedy to a curb-stomping win in 1964. While no one seriously imagines Joe Biden could be compared to John Kennedy, the playbook is already written for that eventuality, and I am sure the Democrats are ready to call the play if Joe gets into real trouble tomorrow.

Your imagination is wild.

If there were puppet masters pulling the strings they would have forced Biden to step down awhile before now.

Biden is running because he wants to be president again, and he's not going to fake a medical event in front of the nation because the Bill Belichick of the Left is on the sidelines and calls for a hail-mary.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Bestweekeverr said:

Oldbear83 said:

It occurs to me that among the possible plans, would be one where Biden has an on-air medical event.

But Biden's increasing instability may decide the matter for Democrats, and I suspect there may be a point where handlers decide to abandon him … in which case they may decide Biden would have a medical episode of some kind.

If there were puppet masters pulling the strings they would have forced Biden to step down awhile before now.

Biden is running because he wants to be president again, and he's not going to fake a medical event in front of the nation because the Bill Belichick of the Left is on the sidelines and calls for a hail-mary.
What is really gonna be fun to watch is when the Dem power brokers ask Biden to step down and he and Dr. Jill refuse to do so! The Democratic National Convention will be a cluster **** of epic proportions!!!!

Popcorn ready.

-- Barack Obama
Bestweekeverr
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Bestweekeverr said:

Oldbear83 said:

What is really gonna be fun to watch is when the Dem power brokers ask Biden to step down and he and Dr. Jill refuse to do so!

Popcorn ready.
How do you know this hasn't already happened?

If they were going to ask him to step down it would've been way before the first presidential debate lol
Whiskey Pete
Harrison Bergeron said:

The key learning from the debate is already there: our president has been in hiding for seven days and no one noticed.
Don't need a president anymore. Or congress for that matter. The administrative state has become so powerful, things just keep humming along with our without our elected "leaders"
Oldbear83
Jack and DP said:

Did you write all of that or copy it?
I wrote it.
Mitch Blood Green
Fre3dombear said:

Biden by 8,000,000

+- 2,000,000

I'll take the over.
BearN
Fre3dombear said:

Biden by 8,000,000

BearN
Doc Holliday
Fre3dombear said:

Biden by 8,000,000

I'm black pilled if Biden wins.

We're screwed and there's no turning back.
Harrison Bergeron
Man - you called it.

The fascists on CNN are stabbing China Joe in the back.
boognish_bear
Doc Holliday said:

Fre3dombear said:

Biden by 8,000,000

I'm black pilled if Biden wins.

We're screwed and there's no turning back.

You've got nothing to worry about...no way Biden is winning
Jack Bauer
This isn't even a political dunk, this is just an elderly man going downhill fast each day and made to perform outside his capacity...

Doc Holliday
Harrison Bergeron said:

Man - you called it.

The fascists on CNN are stabbing China Joe in the back.
Jack Bauer
What is the legal procedure to just "swap out" the candidate.

The DNC is August 19 to 22, is that when they have to do it because that is awful late to the election.
Oldbear83
The Democrats are in real trouble now. Tonight was Biden's Hail-Mary and Trump intercepted it.

There are a number of big problems for Democrats as they scramble on how to find a win.

The first problem is getting Joe to play along with stepping down as the nominee. Or rather, keeping Jill Biden quiet about the reasons.

The second problem is the big one - who to nominate. While many expect Michelle Obama to be the choice, it's also too pat for a lot of voters and Michelle is not going to automatically achieve the results her husband did, not least because Barack had years to lay the groundwork and make the media rounds. And frankly, Michelle has not been able to handle the press nearly as well as her husband could, and we saw with Hillary what happens when a media novice thinks the family name will overcome any doubts.

There really is no Democrat who has genuine national appeal, especially on the Economy and the Border,

Changing out nominees at this point is like changing quarterbacks with 5 minutes to go in the 3rd quarter after allowing multiple pick-sixes.

boognish_bear
Oldbear83 said:

The Democrats are in real trouble now. Tonight was Biden's Hail-Mary and Trump intercepted it.

There are a number of big problems for Democrats as they scramble on how to find a win.

The first problem is getting Joe to play along with stepping down as the nominee. Or rather, keeping Jill Biden quiet about the reasons.

The second problem is the big one - who to nominate. While many expect Michelle Obama to be the choice, it's also too pat for a lot of voters and Michelle is not going to automatically achieve the results her husband did, not least because Barack had years to lay the groundwork and make the media rounds. And frankly, Michelle has not been able to handle the press nearly as well as her husband could, and we saw with Hillary what happens when a media novice thinks the family name will overcome any doubts.

There really is no Democrat who has genuine national appeal, especially on the Economy and the Border,

Changing out nominees at this point is like changing quarterbacks with 5 minutes to go in the 3rd quarter after allowing multiple pick-sixes.

I think it's more like the 2 minute warning....not Q3
Jack Bauer
The next Presidential debate is September 10, will Biden be there?
Oldbear83
boognish_bear said:

Oldbear83 said:

Oh, there's still a lot left to happen.

First, expect a number of media polls to push back until next Monday/Tuesday, and Biden will likely lose about 1 to 1.5 points of support, which the media will call statistically insignificant. Trump will gain 1.5 to 2 points of support over the weekend, moving his average to something like 47.0% to 42.5%. The media will claim a lot of voters are undecided.

Over July, expect the Democrats to try vetting a replacement nominee, with all kinds of private focus groups testing reaction to Newsome, Whitmer, Harris and Ms. Obama among others. By mid-month, Democrats will learn the limits of support for those mandarins in battleground states, where voters have been clear they don't want politics as usual.

One of two things will happen - either Democrats will gamble on a young, fresh face they hope will spark echoes of Barack Obama, someone relatively unknown with no track record but a good media presence, or they will tell themselves that Biden is still their best chance, and hope against hope that the polls are wrong in their favor.

Jack Bauer
Oldbear83 said:

boognish_bear said:

Oldbear83 said:

Oh, there's still a lot left to happen.

First, expect a number of media polls to push back until next Monday/Tuesday, and Biden will likely lose about 1 to 1.5 points of support, which the media will call statistically insignificant. Trump will gain 1.5 to 2 points of support over the weekend, moving his average to something like 47.0% to 42.5%. The media will claim a lot of voters are undecided.

Over July, expect the Democrats to try vetting a replacement nominee, with all kinds of private focus groups testing reaction to Newsome, Whitmer, Harris and Ms. Obama among others. By mid-month, Democrats will learn the limits of support for those mandarins in battleground states, where voters have been clear they don't want politics as usual.

One of two things will happen - either Democrats will gamble on a young, fresh face they hope will spark echoes of Barack Obama, someone relatively unknown with no track record but a good media presence, or they will tell themselves that Biden is still their best chance, and hope against hope that the polls are wrong in their favor.

There are 130 days until the Election and the Dems only have 2 major events to spotlight a new candidate

The DNC on August 22 and the 2nd debate on September 10.
LIB,MR BEARS
25th amendment will be trending shortly.

Democrat congressional leaders are working now on what is the best way to approach that.

I expect Sunday morning news shows will all have commentaries about it so they can get a feel for how/who should approach it.

Whoever introduces the possibility in Washington will have to appear distant from the next anointed dem less they look too opportunistic.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.