Somebody get POTUS a Constitution.

8,775 Views | 97 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by quash
quash
How long do you want to ignore this user?
His attacks on the media, and threats to revoke credentials are counter to the First Amendment.

Some in the media think tbey have more First Amendment rights than individuals. They're wrong. But these authoritarian attacks on our civic institutions are damaging to democracy.
fadskier
quash said:

His attacks on the media, and threats to revoke credentials are counter to the First Amendment.

Some in the media think tbey have more First Amendment rights than individuals. They're wrong. But these authoritarian attacks on our civic institutions are damaging to democracy.
The media does not have a right to attend a press conference or enter the White House.
J.R.
fadskier said:

quash said:

The media does not have a right to attend a press conference or enter the White House.
Stalin says hi. This guy is out of control.
fadskier
J.R. said:

fadskier said:

quash said:

That's just a stupid comparison. Show me where the Constitution states that reporters have a right to attend a press conference?
J.R.
fadskier said:

J.R. said:

fadskier said:

quash said:

That's just a stupid comparison. Show me where the Constitution states that reporters have a right to attend a press conference?
No it is not. That is where all toto starts. You really think it's ok to ban the media he thinks is unfriendly is Merican ? (in your parlance)?
bubbadog
quash said:

What good would a Constitution do him? He's not gonna read it. He's not going to pay attention long enough for someone to summarize the main points for him. I doubt that he even remembers that he took an oath to defend it.
"Free your ass and your mind will follow." -- George Clinton
Justin Kates
J.R. said:

fadskier said:

J.R. said:

fadskier said:

quash said:

No it is not. That is where all toto starts. You really think it's ok to ban the media he thinks is unfriendly is Merican ? (in your parlance)?

Fad is correct that it is not a constitutional issue. JR is correct that it's uncomfortable because of what one fears it could lead to. Quash is wrong as usual.
-Justin Kates
J.R.
so may point is.....that is a road we don't want to go down.
riflebear
Liberals memories are very short. Obama tried to have FoxNews removed from the White House early in his first term and even CNN & MSNBC called Obama out for trying to do that.

Then Obama spied on an innocent journalist - illegally.

Trump just posed the question w/ a ? I don't believe the President can remove anyone from the white house press corp anyway which is why he hasn't done it, but there is nothing wrong w/ calling out fake news and false stories when 93% of the press is openly liberal and donate to the Democratic party.

Liberals don't understand this because they don't get both sides of the news or hear the truth most of the time. Or, they just don't want to hear it.
J.R.
riflebear said:

Liberals memories are very short. Obama tried to have FoxNews removed from the White House early in his first term and even CNN & MSNBC called Obama out for trying to do that.

Then Obama spied on an innocent journalist - illegally.

Trump just posed the question w/ a ? I don't believe the President can remove anyone from the white house press corp anyway which is why he hasn't done it, but there is nothing wrong w/ calling out fake news and false stories when 93% of the press is openly liberal and donate to the Democratic party.

Liberals don't understand this because they don't get both sides of the news or hear the truth most of the time. Or, they just don't want to hear it.
Now ...what's a liberal...I don't understand
Johnny Bear
fadskier said:

J.R. said:

fadskier said:

quash said:

If anyone should be compared to Stalin it's the modern day left, especially including their propagandist mouth pieces in the MSM, who rigidly seek to impose their viewpoint and their agenda on the rest of the country as they simultaneously do all they can to squelch/silence the free speech of anyone that disagrees with them.

People tend to seriously confuse "rights" and "privileges". For example a lot of people think they have the "right" to drive a car on public roadways. They don't. Driving a car on public roadways is a "privilege" earned through obtaining a license to do so. They have the "right" to the freedom to obtain the proper education, etc. to obtain such a license. Similarly, of course the press has the right to free speech, but credentials to be a part of something like the White House Press Corps is an earned privilege and earned privileges requiring things like demonstrated responsible journalism can be lost. And if they're lost or revoked it has nothing to do with infringing on first amendment "rights" as the person or persons affected are still totally free to spew whatever they want to spew somewhere else. I totally understand it if the Trump Administration wants to let at least some of these 110% biased leftist liars that they're on the verge of losing their privilege.
Canada2017
J.R. said:

fadskier said:

quash said:

( sigh ) How old are you ?

Stalin executed hundreds of thousands of his own people while his collective farm policy resulted in the starvation of millions more.

Trump has merely 'triggered' a few of the 'sacred' members of the press who have been bashing him viciously since he entered the Republican primary .
cinque
fadskier said:

J.R. said:

fadskier said:

quash said:

Trump must not have that right either since he never holds press conferences.
J.R.
Canada2017 said:

J.R. said:

fadskier said:

quash said:

( sigh ) How old are you ?

Stalin executed hundreds of thousands of his own people while his collective farm policy resulted in the starvation of millions more.

Trump has merely 'triggered' a few of the 'sacred' members of the press who have been bashing him viciously since he entered the Republican primary .
52... you
fadskier
cinque said:

fadskier said:

J.R. said:

fadskier said:

quash said:

Trump must not have that right either since he never holds press conferences.
He's working. He has a press secretary. That's what they do. It's called a job. Try one.
quash
7yrbear said:

J.R. said:

fadskier said:

J.R. said:

fadskier said:

quash said:

Fad is correct that it is not a constitutional issue. JR is correct that it's uncomfortable because of what one fears it could lead to. Quash is wrong as usual.

Freedom of tbe press. If you deny access to the oresident or tbe WH I would contend your freedom has been denied. And allowing the state controlled media while denying others does not fill the gap.

Tell me how I'm wrong.
cinque
quash said:

7yrbear said:

J.R. said:

fadskier said:

J.R. said:

fadskier said:

quash said:

Freedom of tbe press. If you deny access to the oresident or tbe WH I would contend your freedom has been denied. And allowing the state controlled media while denying others does not fill the gap.

Tell me how I'm wrong.
That question will send 'em scurrying.
Jack and DP
Trump tweets his message. He don't need no stinkin press conferences.
quash
Jack and DP said:

Trump tweets his message. He don't need no stinkin press conferences.

That's a coward's excuse to avoid accountability.
Justin Kates
quash said:

7yrbear said:

J.R. said:

fadskier said:

J.R. said:

fadskier said:

quash said:

Tell me how I'm wrong.
The freedom is in WHAT they write, not in being present at an official event in order to have something to write about. The government cannot prevent them from writing bad things about the government. They also cannot tell them what to write. The press is free to write what they want.
-Justin Kates
GrowlTowel
J.R. said:

fadskier said:

quash said:

Really? Stalin says hi over "threatening to revoke" media credentials?

When Trump kills 25 million people, then Stalin can say hello.
Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
fadskier
quash said:

7yrbear said:

J.R. said:

fadskier said:

J.R. said:

fadskier said:

quash said:

Tell me how I'm wrong.
He's not denying access to the press, just some reporters. How is he creating a state controlled media?

You can contend all you want...doesn't make you right.
fadskier
GrowlTowel said:

J.R. said:

fadskier said:

quash said:

When Trump kills 25 million people, then Stalin can say hello.
Growl for the dunk.
fadskier
7yrbear said:

quash said:

7yrbear said:

J.R. said:

fadskier said:

J.R. said:

fadskier said:

quash said:

Tell me how I'm wrong.
The freedom is in WHAT they write, not in being present at an official event in order to have something to write about. The government cannot prevent them from writing bad things about the government. They also cannot tell them what to write. The press is free to write what they want.
7yr with the slam!
Jack and DP
POTUS is almost as bad as this.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Department_of_Justice_investigations_of_reporters
fadskier
Jack and DP said:

POTUS is almost as bad as this.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Department_of_Justice_investigations_of_reporters
Wow. Who was POTUS then? I'm shocked, shocked I tell you. Must have been racially motivated.
quash
7yrbear said:

quash said:

7yrbear said:

J.R. said:

fadskier said:

J.R. said:

fadskier said:

quash said:

Tell me how I'm wrong.

Sure. And a reporter with no access is free to write about the curb he's sitting on.

You are free to practice your religion, just don't try it in this church.

fadskier
quash said:

7yrbear said:

quash said:

7yrbear said:

J.R. said:

fadskier said:

J.R. said:

fadskier said:

quash said:

Tell me how I'm wrong.

Sure. And a reporter with no access is free to write about the curb he's sitting on.

NO reporters might mean no access. No CNN reporters just means less lies.

and there are tons of churches...not to mention the freedom to practice your religion on a curb.
Justin Kates
quash said:

7yrbear said:

quash said:

7yrbear said:

J.R. said:

fadskier said:

J.R. said:

fadskier said:

quash said:

Tell me how I'm wrong.

By your logic the press is free to sit in on classified meetings. Freedom of the press is an individual right. It's not an institution. The press corp doesnt get to demand access because of this freedom.
-Justin Kates
J.R.
GrowlTowel said:

J.R. said:

fadskier said:

quash said:

When Trump kills 25 million people, then Stalin can say hell
that type of threat is extremely scary and smells of totalitarianism. We don't do that or make that threat in our country. That is beyond the pale. Who does the MOFO think he is?
cBUrurenthusism
quash said:

7yrbear said:

J.R. said:

fadskier said:

J.R. said:

fadskier said:

quash said:

Tell me how I'm wrong.
How do you define press? Who determines who gets access and who doesn't?
What responsibility does the 'press' have to report factual information? The free market? LOL
The press has done more to damage their own credibility than any threat the WH has made
Doc Holliday
Bahahaha
bubbadog
Denying certain media outlets access to press conferences actually bothers me much less than Trump's demagogic attempts to claim that the press is the "enemy of the people." Trump is not even subtle. He loves any media that give him glowing press (Fox & Friends, Hannity); anyone who does straight-up, unbiased reporting that is unfavorable to him is an enemy of the people. And there are still millions of people who he knows he can count on to lap up his bull***** In the, I think that's more dangerous than the lack of access for certain media. The daily press briefings are pretty much useless.
"Free your ass and your mind will follow." -- George Clinton
Doc Holliday
bubbadog said:

Denying certain media outlets access to press conferences actually bothers me much less than Trump's demagogic attempts to claim that the press is the "enemy of the people." Trump is not even subtle. He loves any media that give him glowing press (Fox & Friends, Hannity); anyone who does straight-up, unbiased reporting that is unfavorable to him is an enemy of the people. And there are still millions of people who he knows he can count on to lap up his bull***** In the, I think that's more dangerous than the lack of access for certain media. The daily press briefings are pretty much useless.
Might as well call CNN 'Redacted news network' or 'Clinton News network'. The media is the enemy of the people. Left news especially tries to make people feel like victims and all conservatives look like backwoods bible thumpers who hate everyone.

Studies show most news is 90% negative towards Trump.
https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/may/8/donald-trumps-polls-improve-despite-90-negative-co/
Booray
Trump is just trolling us again. His worst nightmare is the day CNN/MSNBC/MSM stops paying attention to him.

As to the constitutional question, I would guess this would be the argument: There is likely no right of access to the White House in a general sense, otherwise every two-bit reporter from Peoria can come to the press briefing. Instead, it is a privilege to have WH press credentials. Once the government undertakes to provide a privilege, however, due process and equal protection compel the government to distribute the limited credentials on a rational basis. Eliminating a media organization based solely on the organization's perceived political bias is not a rational basis for making the selection of who gets in and who does not.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.