Somebody get POTUS a Constitution.

8,751 Views | 97 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by quash
Florda_mike
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bubbadog said:

Florda_mike said:

bubbadog said:

quash said:

bubbadog said:

Denying certain media outlets access to press conferences actually bothers me much less than Trump's demagogic attempts to claim that the press is the "enemy of the people." Trump is not even subtle. He loves any media that give him glowing press (Fox & Friends, Hannity); anyone who does straight-up, unbiased reporting that is unfavorable to him is an enemy of the people. And there are still millions of people who he knows he can count on to lap up his bull***** In the, I think that's more dangerous than the lack of access for certain media. The daily press briefings are pretty much useless.

Agreed. Add his tax threats to Amazon because Bezos owns media.
Yes. He's a bully. And most bullies are chicken****s at heart.

Yeah he's 70 and he could probably still kick both your arse simultaneously
He can't even make his wife hold his hand.

Nice diversion from topic. Typical left tactic

Was it you married to Cinque? Do you admit holding that hand? Could above statement be hypocritical?

He still could probably kick BOTH your arse simultaneously but good attempt to change topic
quash
Malbec said:

quash said:

Malbec said:

Some of you are just amazing. Is there anything that you won't complain about when it comes to Trump? This is the equivalent of a 6 year-old constantly running into the street, and her mom saying, "What do I have to do to keep you from running in the street, lock you in your room?" She's not going to lock the kid in the room. Trump is just saying, "What do I have to do to get you to act like a professional journalist? Take away your White House credentials?" He's not threatening to suspend the First Amendment. Holy cripes! He just wants to stop having to tell kids to quit running into the street when they should know better by now.

This, "Oh my God! Trump wants to end First Amendment rights!" is exactly the crap he is complaining about. Get a grip and be an adult.

I never said his actions were unconstitutional.

Trump's authoritarian attacks on the press are damaging to our country. A better understanding of the First Amendment would go a long way.

Add the threats to change libel laws. Of course to Trump any criticism is libelous.
What?

"His attacks on the media, and threats to revoke credentials are counter to the First Amendment."

"counter to the First Amendment" is the very definition of unconstitutional. Hell, the very title that you used for the thread suggests that you think he is acting in an unconstitutional manner. Come on man, at least stand up and own the trash in your can. Libertarian my rear...web feet, quacking, bill, waddling, feathers...I say duck.

I make the case that his attacks are damaging to a free press. Those attacks are constitutional, but damaging nonetheless.

You don't have a clue what a Libertarian is if you look at an argument for freedom and see a duck.
Florda_mike
With a press room loaded with anti Trumpets idk why he even has anyone address them. Why would any president in past?

What motivates presidents to continue this waste of their time? Cost/benefit if off chart bad deal

Seems any President(obama included) should have right to allow or disallow whomever they wish. Power of the office
Malbec
quash said:

Malbec said:

quash said:

Malbec said:

Some of you are just amazing. Is there anything that you won't complain about when it comes to Trump? This is the equivalent of a 6 year-old constantly running into the street, and her mom saying, "What do I have to do to keep you from running in the street, lock you in your room?" She's not going to lock the kid in the room. Trump is just saying, "What do I have to do to get you to act like a professional journalist? Take away your White House credentials?" He's not threatening to suspend the First Amendment. Holy cripes! He just wants to stop having to tell kids to quit running into the street when they should know better by now.

This, "Oh my God! Trump wants to end First Amendment rights!" is exactly the crap he is complaining about. Get a grip and be an adult.

Trump's authoritarian attacks on the press are damaging to our country. A better understanding of the First Amendment would go a long way.

Add the threats to change libel laws. Of course to Trump any criticism is libelous.
What?

"His attacks on the media, and threats to revoke credentials are counter to the First Amendment."

"counter to the First Amendment" is the very definition of unconstitutional. Hell, the very title that you used for the thread suggests that you think he is acting in an unconstitutional manner. Come on man, at least stand up and own the trash in your can. Libertarian my rear...web feet, quacking, bill, waddling, feathers...I say duck.

I make the case that his attacks are damaging to a free press. Those attacks are constitutional, but damaging nonetheless.

You don't have a clue what a Libertarian is if you look at an argument for freedom and see a duck.
It's not your argument that I am talking about. It's your methods of diversion and hypocrisy that make you quack. If you can't even be straight about describing what you say, how can you expect anybody to consider your reasoning? That is distinctly mallard behavior.
quash
Malbec said:

quash said:

Malbec said:

quash said:

Malbec said:

What?

It's not your argument that I am talking about. It's your methods of diversion and hypocrisy that make you quack. If you can't even be straight about describing what you say, how can you expect anybody to consider your reasoning? That is distinctly mallard behavior.

What part of this is confusing you?

We have a president who is undermining, among other things, a free press. He operates like a CEO, not a POTUS. I suggested he get familiar eith our Constitution. You suggest that's not very Libertarian. Um, what?
Malbec
quash said:

Malbec said:

quash said:

Malbec said:

quash said:

Malbec said:

What?

We have a president who is undermining, among other things, a free press. He operates like a CEO, not a POTUS. I suggested he get familiar eith our Constitution. You suggest that's not very Libertarian. Um, what?
It's not confusing at all. You used unconstitutional rhetoric to advance your argument, and then claim that you didn't use it. I suggested you were quacking like a hypocritical Dem, which you were, and which is frequently a pattern for you. You snowflaked over a comment that the President made simply to call attention to unprofessional behavior, and in a Democratic-like fit of rhetorical alchemy, tried to turn that comment into a threat of Constitution burning. That makes your balling over "freedom" big, wet crocodile tears.

What you should be saying is that the President has a point. While it is a constitutionally-protected right of all Americans to engage in free speech, it is the responsibility of a professional press to act in a responsible manner. That press has a duty to the public to provide information that is both truthful and accurate, properly sourced and corroborated, equitable to all subjects that are newsworthy without extraneous bias that informs not only with facts, but with proper context and without spectacular exaggeration. There are too many pundits in the Press Room and not enough correspondents.
Mitch Blood Green
bubbadog said:

quash said:

His attacks on the media, and threats to revoke credentials are counter to the First Amendment.

Some in the media think tbey have more First Amendment rights than individuals. They're wrong. But these authoritarian attacks on our civic institutions are damaging to democracy.
What good would a Constitution do him? He's not gonna read it. He's not going to pay attention long enough for someone to summarize the main points for him. I doubt that he even remembers that he took an oath to defend it.

He needs a PowerPoint constitution. He'd stop paying attention after the second page of a gun.
Florda_mike
Malbec said:

quash said:

Malbec said:

quash said:

Malbec said:

What?

Good luck with that

You're arguing with a narcissist unable to see forest for trees
fadskier
bubbadog said:

Florda_mike said:

bubbadog said:

quash said:

bubbadog said:

Denying certain media outlets access to press conferences actually bothers me much less than Trump's demagogic attempts to claim that the press is the "enemy of the people." Trump is not even subtle. He loves any media that give him glowing press (Fox & Friends, Hannity); anyone who does straight-up, unbiased reporting that is unfavorable to him is an enemy of the people. And there are still millions of people who he knows he can count on to lap up his bull***** In the, I think that's more dangerous than the lack of access for certain media. The daily press briefings are pretty much useless.

You haven't answered my question. Can you?
Booray
Malbec said:

quash said:

Malbec said:

quash said:

Malbec said:

quash said:

Malbec said:

What?

It's not confusing at all. You used unconstitutional rhetoric to advance your argument, and then claim that you didn't use it. I suggested you were quacking like a hypocritical Dem, which you were, and which is frequently a pattern for you. You snowflaked over a comment that the President made simply to call attention to unprofessional behavior, and in a Democratic-like fit of rhetorical alchemy, tried to turn that comment into a threat of Constitution burning. That makes your balling over "freedom" big, wet crocodile tears.

What you should be saying is that the President has a point. While it is a constitutionally-protected right of all Americans to engage in free speech, it is the responsibility of a professional press to act in a responsible manner. That press has a duty to the public to provide information that is both truthful and accurate, properly sourced and corroborated, equitable to all subjects that are newsworthy without extraneous bias that informs not only with facts, but with proper context and without spectacular exaggeration. There are too many pundits in the Press Room and not enough correspondents.

Again, when the press says a lying president has lied, it is negative coverage. But it is not biased coverage.

When the press reports on the activities of a special counsel that reveal facts indicating the President's campaign seemingly had a Moscow field office it is negative coverage, but it is not biased coverage.

When the press reports on White House staff making fun of a dying war hero it is negative coverage, but it is not biased coverage.

The man is a mountain of untruths. He has been us whole life. To say otherwise is willful ignorance. If the press is going to do its job, it is going to point that out.
Malbec
Booray said:

Malbec said:

quash said:

Malbec said:

quash said:

Malbec said:

quash said:

Malbec said:

What?

Again, when the press says a lying president has lied, it is negative coverage. But it is not biased coverage.

When the press reports on the activities of a special counsel that reveal facts indicating the President's campaign seemingly had a Moscow field office it is negative coverage, but it is not biased coverage.

When the press reports on White House staff making fun of a dying war hero it is negative coverage, but it is not biased coverage.

The man is a mountain of untruths. He has been us whole life. To say otherwise is willful ignorance. If the press is going to do its job, it is going to point that out.
There's much more to it than that, and you know it. One bag of french fries doesn't require an entire bottle of ketchup.
bubbadog
Florda_mike said:

bubbadog said:

Florda_mike said:

bubbadog said:

quash said:

bubbadog said:

Nice diversion from topic. Typical left tactic

Was it you married to Cinque? Do you admit holding that hand? Could above statement be hypocritical?

He still could probably kick BOTH your arse simultaneously but good attempt to change topic
Let's recap. You diverted from the topic to say Trump could kick my ass, then with a straight face accused me of a diversion when I responded.

See, boys, this is why I bought that Florida Mike-grade Iron-o-Meter, built to withstand this level of unconscious irony. It started rattling something awful when Mike's post came up, but I am pleased to report that it's still working.
"Free your ass and your mind will follow." -- George Clinton
Booray
Malbec said:

There's much more to it than that, and you know it. One bag of french fries doesn't require an entire bottle of ketchup.
Sure. There is a center left bias in the media; there is a profit motive for CNN/MSNBC to duplicate the Fox News opposition model and there are some reporters who are just unhinged. But between the MSM and Donald Trump I default to the MSM becuase Donald Trump lies constantly, about everything and has done so his entire life. Any objective view of his record confirms his complete and absolute lack of credibility.

That is different than agreeing/disagreeing with his policies. It is unfortunate that the news is dominated by stories about Donald Trump rather than stories about Donald Trump's policies. But it was Donald Trump's decision to make his administration about him; you reap what you sow.
bubbadog
Malbec said:

Yes, the press has a responsibility to act in a responsible manner. By and large they do. They work hard to make sure stuff is properly sourced and corroborated. In the internet age, there is a heightened tension today for reporters between the need to be first and to be right. Old school editors would tell you that you had to be both, without sacrificing one for the other. That's much harder today than it was even 20 years ago. Sometimes, reporters get it wrong. But by and large they get it right -- and the mainstream outlets pride themselves on getting it right.

You have a valid point that I agree with about too many pundits. (I could quibble that the pundits aren't in the press room; the reporters go to the press room, and the pundits just watch the video or pick up on what the reporters report. But it's still a valid point.) The lines have become blurred between pundits and reporters. There have always been opinion columnists, and there have always been straight reporters, and the lines used to be very clear. Now, in the age of 24-hour cable TV, when media outlets have so much airtime to fill with content, they often turn to print reporters to be talking heads, which blurs the lines sometimes. Newspapers sometimes have their reporters do "analysis" pieces. The intent is good and honest; they're trying to go beyond the headlines and statements of public figures to provide some context and, well, analysis. But of course, because analysis can open the door to a degree of subjectivity, this is a place where the lines can get a bit blurry. Some outlets do a better job than others. On TV, CNN (from what little I see of it, 99% of which is on election nights) does a rather poor job. They try to provide balance by having partisans from both sides, and it's just an unholy mess. On the other hand, PBS' "Washington Week" program does a good job. They have a panel of print reporters talking about the week's events; they provide analysis, which does sometimes bleed into opinion, but it's informed opinion and not partisan. They try very hard to be fair. Newspapers usually try to clearly label analysis pieces as such, so readers can separate them from straight reporting. Even so, that distinction is easily lost.

And let's be realistic about something that almost never gets talked about: A major reason why the media began doing more analysis is because politicians of all stripes became much more sophisticated at manipulating the media. They learned how to manage news cycles. They learned how to obfuscate with misleading or even false statements. If you just report the "facts" of who said what, media manipulators can easily manipulate the story so that people don't know what reporters know about what actually happened.

The relationship between much more adversarial after Watergate and Vietnam. We've become so used to this changed environment that most Americans don't remember how chummy the media were with presidents before LBJ. Americans trusted the federal government, so reporters tended to trust government, too. All that changed when Americans saw how badly they'd been lied to about Vietnam and Watergate. The press became much, much more watchdog, and politicians learned how to navigate that environment and how to manipulate the media. That's a big part of where we are today.

Of course, none of this has to do with Trump. Trump has no interest in the media's responsibility for "responsible" behavior. He's the king of irresponsible behavior. Trump cares about positive coverage and about winning. I honestly believe that he would be happy with the kind of controlling relationship that Putin has with the media; that is, if government were able to limit the freedom of the press, Trump would be utterly untroubled by it. Thomas Jefferson said that, if given a choice between a free press and no government or government and no free press, he'd take the free press. Trump would make the opposite choice. If he had his druthers, he'd say the press is free as long as they're Pravda.
Doc Holliday
Booray said:

Malbec said:

quash said:

Malbec said:

quash said:

Malbec said:

quash said:

Malbec said:

What?

I say the press lies about what you listed. McCain is a POS. There is no Russian collusion.
bubbadog
Doc Holliday said:

Booray said:

I say the press lies about what you listed. McCain is a POS. There is no Russian collusion.
The press reports did not say Trump's campaign had a Moscow field office. Booray drew that conclusion from FACTS that the press reported on the activities of Trump campaign people.

The press did not lie that a White House staffer made light of McCain's fatal condition.

The press is not lying when it simply points out places where Trump has said something demonstrably untrue.

Con victims like you who have no grip on reality think reality is false. Your youth is not a valid excuse for being this ignorant.
Doc Holliday
bubbadog said:

Doc Holliday said:

Booray said:

The press reports did not say Trump's campaign had a Moscow field office. Booray drew that conclusion from FACTS that the press reported on the activities of Trump campaign people.

The press did not lie that a White House staffer made light of McCain's fatal condition.

The press is not lying when it simply points out places where Trump has said something demonstrably untrue.

Con victims like you who have no grip on reality think reality is false. Your youth is not a valid excuse for being this ignorant.
The only ignorant thing is you going around and using personal attacks on everyone you disagree with. Calling people ignorant, stupid etc.
bubbadog
Doc Holliday said:

bubbadog said:

Doc Holliday said:

Booray said:

The only ignorant thing is you going around and using personal attacks on everyone you disagree with. Calling people ignorant, stupid etc.
Your record speaks for itself. I disagree with a lot of people here who are not ignorant. If you're observant, you may notice a pattern with those whom I describe as ignorant.
Booray
Doc Holliday said:

Booray said:

Malbec said:

quash said:

Malbec said:

quash said:

Malbec said:

quash said:

Malbec said:

What?

You say that because you have lost the ability to discern between your facts and your wishes.
Jack and DP
Is this the media that needs protecting?

bubbadog
Jack and DP said:

What, you would protect some media and not others?
Florda_mike
Jack and DP said:

Democrats < The Party of Infinite Delusions

What can they run on? Trump's signature???

Pathetic human beings
cBUrurenthusism
J.R.
Doc Holliday said:

Booray said:

Malbec said:

quash said:

Malbec said:

quash said:

Malbec said:

quash said:

Malbec said:

What?

Why the hate, bro?
J.R.
bubbadog said:

Malbec said:

Yes, the press has a responsibility to act in a responsible manner. By and large they do. They work hard to make sure stuff is properly sourced and corroborated. In the internet age, there is a heightened tension today for reporters between the need to be first and to be right. Old school editors would tell you that you had to be both, without sacrificing one for the other. That's much harder today than it was even 20 years ago. Sometimes, reporters get it wrong. But by and large they get it right -- and the mainstream outlets pride themselves on getting it right.

You have a valid point that I agree with about too many pundits. (I could quibble that the pundits aren't in the press room; the reporters go to the press room, and the pundits just watch the video or pick up on what the reporters report. But it's still a valid point.) The lines have become blurred between pundits and reporters. There have always been opinion columnists, and there have always been straight reporters, and the lines used to be very clear. Now, in the age of 24-hour cable TV, when media outlets have so much airtime to fill with content, they often turn to print reporters to be talking heads, which blurs the lines sometimes. Newspapers sometimes have their reporters do "analysis" pieces. The intent is good and honest; they're trying to go beyond the headlines and statements of public figures to provide some context and, well, analysis. But of course, because analysis can open the door to a degree of subjectivity, this is a place where the lines can get a bit blurry. Some outlets do a better job than others. On TV, CNN (from what little I see of it, 99% of which is on election nights) does a rather poor job. They try to provide balance by having partisans from both sides, and it's just an unholy mess. On the other hand, PBS' "Washington Week" program does a good job. They have a panel of print reporters talking about the week's events; they provide analysis, which does sometimes bleed into opinion, but it's informed opinion and not partisan. They try very hard to be fair. Newspapers usually try to clearly label analysis pieces as such, so readers can separate them from straight reporting. Even so, that distinction is easily lost.

And let's be realistic about something that almost never gets talked about: A major reason why the media began doing more analysis is because politicians of all stripes became much more sophisticated at manipulating the media. They learned how to manage news cycles. They learned how to obfuscate with misleading or even false statements. If you just report the "facts" of who said what, media manipulators can easily manipulate the story so that people don't know what reporters know about what actually happened.

The relationship between much more adversarial after Watergate and Vietnam. We've become so used to this changed environment that most Americans don't remember how chummy the media were with presidents before LBJ. Americans trusted the federal government, so reporters tended to trust government, too. All that changed when Americans saw how badly they'd been lied to about Vietnam and Watergate. The press became much, much more watchdog, and politicians learned how to navigate that environment and how to manipulate the media. That's a big part of where we are today.

Of course, none of this has to do with Trump. Trump has no interest in the media's responsibility for "responsible" behavior. He's the king of irresponsible behavior. Trump cares about positive coverage and about winning. I honestly believe that he would be happy with the kind of controlling relationship that Putin has with the media; that is, if government were able to limit the freedom of the press, Trump would be utterly untroubled by it. Thomas Jefferson said that, if given a choice between a free press and no government or government and no free press, he'd take the free press. Trump would make the opposite choice. If he had his druthers, he'd say the press is free as long as they're Pravda.
Bubba goes deep. Well thought out and put together
quash
Still in need of a Constitution with the First Amendment in bold print.

Today:"I got briefed on it yesterday and it looks to me like they're trying to take away her right of free speech," he said about the OSC recommendation. "I'm not gonna fire her. I think she's a terrific person. She's a tremendous spokesperson. She's been loyal, she's just been a great person. "

Violating the Hatch Act is not a First Amendment question. Conway is free to campaign all she wants, she just can't do it as a White House official.

There are arguments that Hatch doesn't cover her position; I don't buy them, not if Hatch is to mean anything. Trump can make those arguments, though, and at least have something to stand on. Free speech is the wrong hook for his hat.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Waco1947
bubbadog said:

Doc Holliday said:

bubbadog said:

Doc Holliday said:

Booray said:

Your record speaks for itself. I disagree with a lot of people here who are not ignorant. If you're observant, you may notice a pattern with those whom I describe as ignorant.
I miss bubba
cinque
quash said:

His attacks on the media, and threats to revoke credentials are counter to the First Amendment.

Some in the media think tbey have more First Amendment rights than individuals. They're wrong. But these authoritarian attacks on our civic institutions are damaging to democracy.
He wouldn't read it.
quash
cinque said:

quash said:

He wouldn't read it.
Papa Legba told him not to, it's for the best..
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.