Waco Horror - 100 years later

13,844 Views | 162 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by quash
Waco1947
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I repent for sake of my black bothers and sisters. I repent because the sins of the fathers are visited upon the sins of the sons.
Florda_mike
Waco1947 said:

I repen for TJ sake of black bothers and sisters. I repent because the sins of the fathers are visited upon the sins.

Why does your English get worse as the day wears on into night?
Canada2017
He's self 'medicating ' .
bearassnekkid
It is an absolutely horrible historical event that took place in Waco. I went to Baylor, and have spent many years before and after in the city and had never heard about it. That seems really wrong. As a result of this thread I have researched the event, and I find myself disgusted and astounded that human beings were able do this (or to stand by as spectators and watch this done) to another human being. It is unfathomable to me.

I don't feel guilt for having white skin, but I do feel hurt and sympathy for what those with darker skin endured, and what their descendants have faced in the social unraveling of those earlier evils and the accompanying disadvantage associated with that along the way. The remnants certainly still exist in our society today.

I am not opposed to there being a "historical marker" of some kind that recounts what took place. We mustn't forget that kind of evil. People should know about it, and be troubled by it, so we don't forget and don't ever slide back toward beliefs that made that kind of atrocity possible. I don't, however, think that it should be a "memorial" to Jesse Washington. By the only known accounts, he brutally murdered and raped a woman. We can wonder a century later, with nothing other than speculation or assumptions, whether he was the real guilty party . . . but we have no way of knowing that one way or another. The historical marker should include the name of Lucy Fryer.
Canada2017
Historical marker seems like a good idea.

Believe one such marker is being considered at the University of Texas in memory of Haruka Weiser.

Who was raped then strangled to death in 2016 by Meechaiel Criner. Mr Criner received a life sentence although the 20 year old will be eligible for parole in 40 years.
Waco1947
Waco1947 said:

I repent for sake of my black bothers and sisters. I repent because the sins of the fathers are visited upon the sins of the sons.

My apologies. It was late
Waco1947
cowboycwr said:

Waco1947 said:

Oso said "I don't see how memorializing lynchings reconciles the races. I'll listen to the argument & I want to be fair"
The same reason we memorialize the Holocaust. So we don't forget. Lynching is our Anerican Holocaust. A Nazi delegation of lawyers and political leaders came to USA see our model for racial exclusion on the early 30s
Go to the Holocaust Memorial in D. C. Seeing the shoes piled up will move you to tears.
I will be going to Lynching Memorial for 4 reasons
1) To learn
2). To remember
3). To repent
4). To empathize with my black brothers and sisters
3- what did you do that you need to repent for? were you at the lynching 100 years ago? perhaps in your previous life?
4- empathize with them on a lynching that happened 100 years ago? Again were any of them there?
I Repent for my black brothers and sisters because the sins of the father are visited upon the their sons and their sons' sons. (Biblical). Repent means to head in a new direction away from hate and racism. There is still much work to do.
I empathize because it's the history of black people and continues to deeply affect race relations. Time is irrelevant. Empathy does not know artificial boundaries. Empathy makes us humans and helps us to see the humanity of others.
Those celebrating or grieving the lynching are dead but it's legacy lives on.
Osodecentx
Waco1947 said:

I Repent for my black brothers and sisters because the sins of the father are visited upon the their sons and their sons' sons. (Biblical). Repent means to head in a new direction away from hate and racism. There is still much work to do.
For what are you repenting? What did your father do?
Waco1947
Osodecentx said:

Waco1947 said:

You're not dense. "The sins of the fathers" is a biblical phrase that means we (sons and daughters) cannot escape the brutal history of our forefathers.
Each generation must repent for whatever legacy we brought forward from our fathers.
Read some MLK it will do your heart some good.
fadskier
I don't repent. My family wasn't in Texas yet.
Osodecentx
Waco1947 said:

Osodecentx said:

Waco1947 said:

You're not dense. "The sins of the fathers" is a biblical phrase that means we (sons and daughters) cannot escape the brutal history of our forefathers.
Each generation must repent for whatever legacy we brought forward from our fathers.
What did your parents do? For what are you repenting?
Waco1947
Osodecentx said:

Waco1947 said:

Osodecentx said:

Waco1947 said:

. You're being dense. I'm not answering again. It's a damn metaphor. But with regards to the lynching they weren't born yet.
Osodecentx
Waco1947 said:

Osodecentx said:

Waco1947 said:

Osodecentx said:

Waco1947 said:

. You're being dense. I'm not answering again. It's a damn metaphor. But with regards to the lynching they weren't born yet.
You're being dense.

You are repenting for your black brothers? For what? What did you do? What did your parents do? Is there a statute of limitations? Decades? Centuries? Millenia? Eternity?

I'm listening
Canada2017
Old 47 has a major issue with self loathing . Doubt he will ever come clean with the reasons behind it.
bubbadog
The infamous Jesse Washington lynching is recounted in horrifying detail in BlacKkKlansman.
quash
bubbadog said:

Florda_mike said:

Probably guilty as jury found that and sentenced death

Robinson gang, democrats probably as they don't value life and their descendants were slave owners, drug him from courtroom to dismay of jury foreman. I went to school with his granddaughter apparently

Terrible scene from there on, I just researched

I've been Wacoan since '55 and never heard of it til now

Turns my tummy I never was told this

It's possible he was guilty but also that a death sentence would have been ruled out today because there is a lot of evidence that this guy was mentally impaired -- not even understanding what was going on.

What makes this case especially heinous wasn't just the unusual savagery of the killing but that 15,000 Wacoans turned out to watch this man be burned. And then they cut off pieces of his body for souvenirs.

I was born in Waco, my father grew up there, and I never heard this story either until after I got out of Baylor.

But I found out that black people in Waco knew about it. The story many of them grew up hearing was that the 1953 tornado was divine punishment for what Waco did. After all, it devastated downtown where the lynching occurred and then apparently jumped the river and spared East Waco. I'd have to check, but I think all of the 114 victims were white.

It kind of brings it all home when you realize that there were two totally different histories of this period in Waco. The story was transmitted in the black community and completely buried in the white community.

The way a black friend of mine tells it the path of the tornado was the route taken as they dragged the boy's body around.

His aunt was downtown, a teenager, and she tried to go in Cox's for safety; the white folks wouldn't let her in. She lived, Cox's was destroyed.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Florda_mike
Canada2017 said:

Old 47 has a major issue with self loathing . Doubt he will ever come clean with the reasons behind it.

Hint: 47 isn't white!
Canada2017
Doesn't matter to me if ol 47 is black, white or Hunkpapa Sioux.

Merely bored with his constant attempts to dump his personal issues on the rest of Anglo culture .
Florda_mike
Canada2017 said:

Merely bored with his constant attempts to dump his personal issues on the rest of Anglo culture .

Ha

And what's a "Hunkpapa Sioux?"
Moondoggie
Florda_mike said:

Robinson gang, democrats probably as they don't value life and their descendants were slave owners, drug him from courtroom to dismay of jury foreman. I went to school with his granddaughter apparently

Yeah mike, gop cares about life until the child is born then never at any point after. Ketchup=vegetable. My point, go shove hannity up your ass when wd add discussing a burned alive lynching.

This was the singular event which founded the
NAACP. It was Waco's most horrible offense, and screw your politics in threads like these.
cowboycwr
Florda_mike said:

Canada2017 said:

Ha

A specific group within the Lakota Tribe of the Sioux
cowboycwr
pitchman said:

Florda_mike said:

Yeah mike, gop cares about life until the child is born then never at any point after. Ketchup=vegetable. My point, go shove hannity up your ass when wd add discussing a burned alive lynching.

NAACP. It was Waco's most horrible offense, and screw your politics in threads like these.
The NAACP was founded in 1909.

the Waco Lynching took place in 1916.

so how was an event 7 years after the founding of the NAACP the "singular event which founded" it?
Florda_mike
That's a pretty good question
bubbadog
Florda_mike said:

Canada2017 said:

Ha

Sub-tribe among the Sioux. Sitting Bull was one, if I recall.
bubbadog
pitchman said:

Florda_mike said:

I'm going to give Mike some credit here. He has mixed-up ideas about how both major parties changed over time. But those are not original to him. I've seen them on this site and BaylorFans for years, and they get repeated to the point that some people who don't know any better come to believe them.

But Mike stepped up on this thread to denounce the fact that, as a native Wacoan, he had never been told this story and to insist that all of the story be publicly taught.

That is more than I can say for some other posters here who think that Waco's long refusal to acknowledge the truth is not a wrong that the community needs to address.

I agree with your statement that this was Waco's most horrible offense. It seems to have been one of the most heinous among the thousands of lynchings in this country. It deserves that special status not just because it was exceptionally savage but because so many thousands of white people came out to see and celebrate it. This was not like the small bunch of vigilantes stopped by Atticus Finch in To Kill a Mockingbird. It was a community event, which put a blot on the whole community. It wasn't just something bad that happened to happen here and had no real connection to the wider community, like the Branch Davidians. This was something Waco publicly celebrated, which is why Waco needs to publicly un-celebrate it and not just dismiss it as something that happened 100 years ago.
Osodecentx
bubbadog said:

This was something Waco publicly celebrated, which is why Waco needs to publicly un-celebrate it and not just dismiss it as something that happened 100 years ago.
What should Waco do? What should people who moved to Waco 10 years ago do to uncelebrate what Wacoans did 100 years ago?
Should it be a yearly uncelebration? If someone lived in Waco for two years and moved, does the stain follow them wherever they live?

http://www.cilice.co.uk/hairshirts.html
quash
Osodecentx said:

bubbadog said:

This was something Waco publicly celebrated, which is why Waco needs to publicly un-celebrate it and not just dismiss it as something that happened 100 years ago.
What should Waco do? What should people who moved to Waco 10 years ago do to uncelebrate what Wacoans did 100 years ago?
Should it be a yearly uncelebration? If someone lived in Waco for two years and moved, does the stain follow them wherever they live?

As one who moved back three years ago I'd say erase the community stain with a community acknowledgement. One block apart, at 5th and Austin and 4th and Austin, are an historical marker and a monument to the tornado. A short block up 4th is an historical marker about the Brann shooting. Some type of public recognition of Waco history would end the whitewashing of a hundred years.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
bubbadog
Osodecentx said:

bubbadog said:

I'd like to see Waco put up a marker acknowledging that lynchings took place there. The spot of the Jesse Washington lynching would be an appropriate place.

Have a one-time public dedication of the marker with the participation of city officials -- a solemn and formal ceremony for the public. Ahead of the dedication, offer education events where people can come learn the story of these lynchings. (Remember, the Jesse Washington lynching was just one of 15 that happened in McLennan County; only one county in Texas had more. A marker should acknowledge the totality.)

As you keep pointing out, people who are alive today have no direct connection to this community sin. So I, as a native of Waco, have no need to feel any personal responsibility or guilt for what happened.

But this misses one significant point. The lynching wasn't the only sin here.

The other community sin was an attempt by white people to bury the story and to refuse to acknowledge what happened. As the contemporary newspaper accounts relate, this attempt to ignore the truth began almost immediately after the Washington lynching. But it continued for an entire century. Thus, there is a present-day connection between Waco's leaders in recent times and the sin of sweeping an ugly truth under the rug. There is also a failure on their part to recognize that sweeping the truth under the rug has implications for relations between black and white Wacoans even now. It engenders lingering resentment among black Wacoans that the truth has never been formally acknowledged as a public wrong, and it makes Waco a poster boy for Faulkner's famous observation that "The past is never dead; it's not even past."

Waco cannot atone for the lynchings. It CAN do something about the sin of burying the truth.
quash
If you'd type faster you coulda saved me a post...
Osodecentx
quash said:

Osodecentx said:

bubbadog said:

As one who moved back three years ago I'd say erase the community stain with a community acknowledgement. One block apart, at 5th and Austin and 4th and Austin, are an historical marker and a monument to the tornado. A short block up 4th is an historical marker about the Brann shooting. Some type of public recognition of Waco history would end the whitewashing of a hundred years.
I agree. I have no problem with this proposal
Osodecentx
bubbadog said:

Osodecentx said:

bubbadog said:

I'd like to see Waco put up a marker acknowledging that lynchings took place there. The spot of the Jesse Washington lynching would be an appropriate place.

Have a one-time public dedication of the marker with the participation of city officials -- a solemn and formal ceremony for the public. Ahead of the dedication, offer education events where people can come learn the story of these lynchings. (Remember, the Jesse Washington lynching was just one of 15 that happened in McLennan County; only one county in Texas had more. A marker should acknowledge the totality.)

As you keep pointing out, people who are alive today have no direct connection to this community sin. So I, as a native of Waco, have no need to feel any personal responsibility or guilt for what happened.
I have no problem with this proposal.
Osodecentx
quash said:

Osodecentx said:

bubbadog said:

There is a memorial of some sort on the ground floor of the courthouse. I believe there was some ceremony when it was dedicated.

Osodecentx
bubbadog said:

Osodecentx said:

bubbadog said:

But this misses one significant point. The lynching wasn't the only sin here.

The other community sin was an attempt by white people to bury the story and to refuse to acknowledge what happened. As the contemporary newspaper accounts relate, this attempt to ignore the truth began almost immediately after the Washington lynching. But it continued for an entire century. Thus, there is a present-day connection between Waco's leaders in recent times and the sin of sweeping an ugly truth under the rug. There is also a failure on their part to recognize that sweeping the truth under the rug has implications for relations between black and white Wacoans even now. It engenders lingering resentment among black Wacoans that the truth has never been formally acknowledged as a public wrong, and it makes Waco a poster boy for Faulkner's famous observation that "The past is never dead; it's not even past."

Waco cannot atone for the lynchings. It CAN do something about the sin of burying the truth.
These are links to articles in the Waco paper in the recent times. This confirms the Faulkner quote that the past is not even past.

https://www.wacotrib.com/opinion/editorials/editorial-ignoring-the-lynching-culture-of-our-past-only-contributes/article_0efcd149-998b-5c10-8c55-6270214f47b2.html

https://www.wacotrib.com/news/special/waco-horror-at-why-jesse-washington-s-lynching-still-matters/article_1e2e0e86-dc1f-5442-bc35-9c2debad14c7.html

https://www.wacotrib.com/news/briefly/waco-area-news-briefs-may/article_649b880f-37d8-577d-8163-fc25ce9972cc.html

https://www.wacotrib.com/news/county-historical-group-supports-marker-commemorating-jesse-washington-lynching/article_b4a5552d-caaf-5407-8085-69cda0a34c40.html

https://www.wacotrib.com/news/groups-address-waco-s-unfinished-legacy-almost-years-after-jesse/article_27cf77c8-e677-5515-858f-5d3ca0952798.html

https://www.wacotrib.com/news/special/waco-horror-at-why-jesse-washington-s-lynching-still-matters/article_1e2e0e86-dc1f-5442-bc35-9c2debad14c7.html

https://www.wacotrib.com/news/groups-address-waco-s-unfinished-legacy-almost-years-after-jesse/article_27cf77c8-e677-5515-858f-5d3ca0952798.html

https://www.wacotrib.com/news/about-gather-at-courthouse-to-commemorate-waco-horror-lynching/article_d1418e5f-d1e0-5525-a1ae-bf728e6042c9.html

https://www.wacotrib.com/news/waco_history/legacy-of-waco-lynching-subject-of-award-winning-film-at/article_bb543f48-f827-554b-b549-5af68b85fbc5.html

https://www.wacotrib.com/entertainment/accesswaco/shadows-of-the-lynching-tree-comes-to-waco/article_91165870-c36d-5968-b761-8052a0fad0de.html

https://www.wacotrib.com/news/commissioners-approve-display-of-resolution-denouncing-lynchings/article_ba51aa26-4ed5-548d-bfe7-0bc609aef620.html
Waco1947
Osodecentx said:

Waco1947 said:

Osodecentx said:

Waco1947 said:

Osodecentx said:

Waco1947 said:

You're being dense.

You are repenting for your black brothers? For what? What did you do? What did your parents do? Is there a statute of limitations? Decades? Centuries? Millenia? Eternity?

I'm listening
I am repenting TO my black brothers. I bought into the racism as a child of the south that's what's I did. No statue of limitations. Is there one for Holocaust? Did you hang Jesus on the cross? Did your parents? Then why repent?
Florda_mike
Waco1947 said:

Osodecentx said:

Waco1947 said:

Osodecentx said:

Waco1947 said:

Osodecentx said:

Waco1947 said:

You're being dense.

I'm listening
I am repenting TO my black brothers. I bought into the racism as a child of the south that's what's I did. No statue of limitations. Is there one for Holocaust? Did you hang Jesus on the cross? Did your parents? Then why repent?

So you're black?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.