"I am part of the resistance inside the Trump Administration"

15,424 Views | 139 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Golem
cinque
How long do you want to ignore this user?
D. C. Bear said:

Jinx 2 said:

D. C. Bear said:

bubbadog said:

D. C. Bear said:

Jinx 2 said:

Here is a truly bizarre column by an anonymous "senior official of the Trump administration" that claims both to be working for Trump and against Trump. The Times obviously realizes publishing a piece like this is going to piss a lot of people off for very different reasons, so they're apologizing up front.

My response: I don't want to hear your excuses for working for Trump and how you think your form of resistance is somehow helping America. If you work for the man, you're enabling his wholesale assault on the rule of law and hamhanded policy moves. It is, however, interesting do learn that the real "Deep State" are Trump officials who realize he doesn't know what the hell he's doing and who are trying to do stuff over, under and around him and behind his back. If the existence of such bureaucrats in the Trump administration isn't enough to invoke the 25th Amendment, what is?.

The existence of bureaucrats in government who try to work at cross purposes with others within an administration, even a president, does not make a case for the cabinet to invoke the 25th amendment, which is in place for times when a president is unable to discharge the duties of the office. You've come unhinged. You are basically calling for a coup.
I went back and read the 25th Amendment. Look at Section IV of the amendment. You may call it a coup, but it's in the Constitution. When the Vice President and majority of the cabinet, or a majority of Congress sign a written declaration that the president is unfit to discharge his duties, the VP becomes acting president.

If the president disagrees that he is unfit, he can send his own letter. Then if a majority of Congress or the cabinet stick by their original declaration, Congress decides the matter and can remove the president with a 2/3 vote in both houses.

I would note that invoking the 25th amendment in and of itself doesn't mean the removal of the president. It does create a process for removal that does not involve impeachment.

I read it, too. The 25th amendment says nothing about a president being "unfit." There is a substantive difference between someone being "unfit" to hold office (we have elections to settle that and, in extreme cases, impeachment) and someone being "unable" to discharge the duties of the office. Jinx is basically advocating removing the president for political reasons using a tool intended to allow the government to have an executive when the president is incapacitated.

Ignore the emoticon.
The author of this column says the coup has already happened, and that he and his compatriots are governing the nation as an unelected cabal, having decided amongst themselves that Trump is irrational, poorly informed and incompetent.

My point is this: no one elected these people. Their duty, as government employees, is to the constitution--not to work covertly to advance a party's agenda AND, as they appear to believe, protect the country from a dangerous, unhinged president. Now I wonder how many bad policies have resulted from actions taken essentially illegally. This writer has clearly stated the government is not under the president's control--and we really don't know who is controlling it.

Now the writer has outed himself and implied that others are working with him. Trump is paranoid. Do you think he's going to rest until he finds out who wrote that op/ed? Fasten your seat belts; it's going to be a bumpy week.

You are suddenly concerned that unelected bureaucrats have influence or work against what a president might want to do? You think this is a new thing? Harry Truman complained about it, and he probably wasn't the first or the last.
Why aren't you concerned?
Make Racism Wrong Again
PartyBear
DC stop trying to play moral relativism and pretend every WH has been like this to rationalize that all of this is not only ok but normal. It isn't and it is unprecedented. I agree the cabal even though with good intentions for the country is breaking the law as much as Trump does. They need to do this the right way and legal way and most of all the Constitutional way and go public and invoke the 25th or go before Congress and give them their own report as to why they need to impeach. I suspect if the cabal if they did this, would give even this weak GOP Congress no choice but to do it.
D. C. Bear
cinque said:

D. C. Bear said:

Jinx 2 said:

D. C. Bear said:

bubbadog said:

D. C. Bear said:

Jinx 2 said:

Here is a truly bizarre column by an anonymous "senior official of the Trump administration" that claims both to be working for Trump and against Trump. The Times obviously realizes publishing a piece like this is going to piss a lot of people off for very different reasons, so they're apologizing up front.

My response: I don't want to hear your excuses for working for Trump and how you think your form of resistance is somehow helping America. If you work for the man, you're enabling his wholesale assault on the rule of law and hamhanded policy moves. It is, however, interesting do learn that the real "Deep State" are Trump officials who realize he doesn't know what the hell he's doing and who are trying to do stuff over, under and around him and behind his back. If the existence of such bureaucrats in the Trump administration isn't enough to invoke the 25th Amendment, what is?.

The existence of bureaucrats in government who try to work at cross purposes with others within an administration, even a president, does not make a case for the cabinet to invoke the 25th amendment, which is in place for times when a president is unable to discharge the duties of the office. You've come unhinged. You are basically calling for a coup.
I went back and read the 25th Amendment. Look at Section IV of the amendment. You may call it a coup, but it's in the Constitution. When the Vice President and majority of the cabinet, or a majority of Congress sign a written declaration that the president is unfit to discharge his duties, the VP becomes acting president.

If the president disagrees that he is unfit, he can send his own letter. Then if a majority of Congress or the cabinet stick by their original declaration, Congress decides the matter and can remove the president with a 2/3 vote in both houses.

I would note that invoking the 25th amendment in and of itself doesn't mean the removal of the president. It does create a process for removal that does not involve impeachment.

I read it, too. The 25th amendment says nothing about a president being "unfit." There is a substantive difference between someone being "unfit" to hold office (we have elections to settle that and, in extreme cases, impeachment) and someone being "unable" to discharge the duties of the office. Jinx is basically advocating removing the president for political reasons using a tool intended to allow the government to have an executive when the president is incapacitated.

Ignore the emoticon.
The author of this column says the coup has already happened, and that he and his compatriots are governing the nation as an unelected cabal, having decided amongst themselves that Trump is irrational, poorly informed and incompetent.

My point is this: no one elected these people. Their duty, as government employees, is to the constitution--not to work covertly to advance a party's agenda AND, as they appear to believe, protect the country from a dangerous, unhinged president. Now I wonder how many bad policies have resulted from actions taken essentially illegally. This writer has clearly stated the government is not under the president's control--and we really don't know who is controlling it.

Now the writer has outed himself and implied that others are working with him. Trump is paranoid. Do you think he's going to rest until he finds out who wrote that op/ed? Fasten your seat belts; it's going to be a bumpy week.

You are suddenly concerned that unelected bureaucrats have influence or work against what a president might want to do? You think this is a new thing? Harry Truman complained about it, and he probably wasn't the first or the last.
Why should I be? Not really a new thing.
cinque
D. C. Bear said:

cinque said:

D. C. Bear said:

Jinx 2 said:

D. C. Bear said:

bubbadog said:

D. C. Bear said:

Jinx 2 said:

Ignore the emoticon.

Why should I be? Not really a new thing.
There isn't a known precedent for a cabinet secretary removing a document from the president's desk to prevent its signing. There just isn't and there shouldn't be.That's not our system.
Make Racism Wrong Again
cinque
This hunt will rival Herod's:

Make Racism Wrong Again
fubar
cinque said:

Jeebus.
D. C. Bear
PartyBear said:

DC stop trying to play moral relativism and pretend every WH has been like this to rationalize that all of this is not only ok but normal. It isn't and it is unprecedented. I agree the cabal even though with good intentions for the country is breaking the law as much as Trump does. They need to do this the right way and legal way and most of all the Constitutional way and go public and invoke the 25th or go before Congress and give them their own report as to why they need to impeach.
It is not "unprecedented" to have people in an administration fighting over policy, and it is not illegal. It is very unusual to have an anonymous official write an editorial. The 25th would be entirely inappropriate given what we know right now, it would not be the "right way" at all.
PartyBear
Oh.....you think there are just policy debates going on? That's what you have convinced yourself that is what this is? Are you Paul Ryan?
Forest Bueller
Doc Holliday said:

MilliVanilli said:

Fan fiction is now mainstream...
It's totally fan fiction.

The op ed is all over the place. they claim they want to administration to succeed, but they later in the piece they say they'll stop Trump until he's removed from office "one way or another".

oh yeah, sure sounds like working towards a successful administration.

I can't believe people still fall for this stuff.

I listened to MSNBC for 2 hours tonight, they are Katsung level paranoid and quite honestly insane. They swallow this stuff as if gospel. They are insane, there is no other word.

I understand people gobble that mess up, but man they are Looney.
D. C. Bear
bubbadog said:

jklburns said:

bubbadog said:

jklburns said:

bubbadog said:

This is an even more bizarre tactic than calling for impeachment. At least with impeachment you only need a majority of the house and then the Senate holds the trial (so the sticking point is convincing the majority of Americans of a "high crime or misdemeaner")

But removal per 25th is even harder! Does the "resistance" really think they are going to get 1) Pence + 2) majority of Cabinet, and/or 3) majority of Congress to ALL sign a declaration which will then absolutely be answered by a declaration from the president (and probably a lot of video like with the DACA meeting last year that ended this same discussion), and THEN 4) get 2/3 of BOTH houses to remove? That's more insane than claiming the president is insane.

If the author actually is a real person in the Administration, it's probably somebody who knows they are about to get the boot and they are preparing a soft landing for themselves at CNN or MSNBC or something. What's funny is how easy it would be for such a person to play the media in this way.

He's not going to be removed by this means unless he becomes completely unhinged in a lawless way, such as ordering the military to shut down the NY Times unless they reveal the identity of the author, or tries to ban all protests. He made hints today about the latter, and it's not outside the realm of possibility that he might lose his **** enough as this goes on to order the former. And even then, who knows? A majority of Republicans in Congress would let him do just about anything illegal as long as he keeps appointing judges they like.

If the author is a real person? Let's think about that for a minute. The NYT is a professional news organization. Not only that, they know they're under a microscope. They're smart enough to know that publishing this piece was going to trigger a full-bore manhunt for the author by Trump. It's very plausible that the author's identity will become public knowledge. For this not to be a real person, you'd have to be suggesting that the NYT was willing to make up a completely fake story, knowing that if their fraud was revealed, that it would probably destroy a 150-year-old institution. That's just Trumpet fantasyland.
Good job leaving of the "in the Administration" part of what I said. I'm assuming a "real person" and not a robot wrote the article.

The NYT has been quoting anonymous people since Trump was elected and somehow we never find out who these mysterious anonymous people are so I think there is a good chance the NYT could absolutely keep it quiet if they wanted; but my statement was not claiming that the NYT made this up on it's own, but rather it's very possible they were duped. So the options are 1) it was a planted article that the NYT failed to suss out (hence my "real person in the Administration" statement), or 2) it's a disgruntled person looking to find a soft landing spot (or a reason for a Go Fund Me) once he/she gets outed.

Newspapers with the resources of the NYT, Washington Post and WSJ go to great lengths to make sure they don't get duped, especially on a story with the potential repercussions of this one. Remember the right-wing hoaxer who got caught trying to dupe the Post into running a bogus story? They learned the woman's identity because they followed their procedures for verifying information and not just taking someone at face value without confirmation. That's not to say they never get fooled. But it would be astonishing if it happened in this case. They say they know the identity of this person. And yet the default response of Trump defenders is that it HAS to be fake, with no consideration of the enormous odds against that argument.

It would be surprising if this was a total fabrication. It would not be surprising if the editorial was something less than a dispassionate account.
Forest Bueller
Doc Holliday said:

Jinx 2 said:

You poor old knuckleheads don't realize how bad and embarrassing this is. I'm wondering if it's a response to Bob Woodward's book.

What it says is that members of Trump's administration realize he's dangerous and incompetent, and they're quietly working togetehr and at cross purposes with him, both to promote different agendas and initiatives and to keep his most distructive tendencies in check and 'thwart parts of his agenda."

Here's the subhead: "I work for the president but like-minded colleagues and I have vowed to thwart parts of his agenda and his worst inclinations."

An international paper has just published an article by a minion working for Trump to the effect that Trump isn't in control of the U.S. government; it's actually controlled by a confederacy of dunces hiding in plain sight in his administration.

That's embarrassing--and not just for Trump. It'll be interesting to see how he reacts.

Give us a reason why we should believe it?

Cause Jinky and Cinky say you a idget if you don't "just believe".

I feel sorry for them as hate for Trump has become their one true religion
cinque
Forest Bueller said:

Doc Holliday said:

MilliVanilli said:

The op ed is all over the place. they claim they want to administration to succeed, but they later in the piece they say they'll stop Trump until he's removed from office "one way or another".

I listened to MSNBC for 2 hours tonight, they are Katsung level paranoid and quite honestly insane. They swallow this stuff as if gospel. They are insane, there is no other word.

And I tuned on Fox tonight. Now I understand why their viewers are so myopic. Hannity shared none of the damning allegations in the op ed with his audience. It really is RTV over there.
Make Racism Wrong Again
NoBSU

It is hot in Suez.

The dice are on the table.
D. C. Bear
PartyBear said:

Oh.....you think there are just policy debates going on? That's what you have convinced yourself that is what this is? Are you Paul Ryan?
You think these people sit around agreeing with each other and sipping tea? Backstabbing and bloodletting are par for the course.

Back in the day, people said Reagan was out of control. They said he was unhinged and off the rails. He was going to start WWIII. He fought with the State Department. I'm sure they thought they were doing what was best for the country.

I am not Paul Ryan, and I am not a fan of Trump. Didn't vote for him, never will. However, I am not a deranged lunatic who thinks we should invoke 25th amendment for political disagreements.
PartyBear
D. C. Bear said:

PartyBear said:

You think these people sit around agreeing with each other and sipping tea? Backstabbing and bloodletting are par for the course.

Back in the day, people said Reagan was out of control. They said he was unhinged and off the rails. He was going to start WWIII. He fought with the State Department. I'm sure they thought they were doing what was best for the country.

I am not Paul Ryan, and I am not a fan of Trump. Didn't vote for him, never will. However, I am not a deranged lunatic who thinks we should invoke 25th amendment for political disagreements.

Again you have convinced yourself that the Oped was just describing mere everyday political disagreement? And this WH is just like Reagan's.
Golem
D. C. Bear said:

Jinx 2 said:

If you think that's bad, try putting your house on AirBNB in Nashville.
D. C. Bear
PartyBear said:

D. C. Bear said:

PartyBear said:

Again you have convinced yourself that the Oped was just describing mere everyday political disagreement? And this WH is just like Reagan's.

"Just like" lacks nuance. Every WH is different from every other one and similar to every other one. People freaked out over Reagan, they are freaking out over Trump.

You should also drop the condescending attitude. It's annoying.
Florda_mike
D. C. Bear said:

PartyBear said:

D. C. Bear said:

PartyBear said:

"Just like" lacks nuance. Every WH is different from every other one and similar to every other one. People freaked out over Reagan, they are freaking out over Trump.

GoneGirl
fubar said:

cinque said:

Jeebus.
Now we will see what a witch hunt really looks like.
GoneGirl
D. C. Bear said:

PartyBear said:

Does government by a covert committee of insiders trying to thwart a guy who was (sort of) elected president from actually governing because he's so bad at it qualify as a democracy? Or has our government been taken over by uber-conservative bureaucrats in a soft coup?
NoBSU
When a sighing begins

In the violins

Of the autumn-song
cowboycwr
Yawn. Still a bunch of nothing from a fake piece.
xiledinok
Trump is screaming more than usual. He went off in front of the retired Barney Fife possee. The insider stories confirm he acts like a baby.
Trump's own swamp is feeding him to the gators.
PartyBear
D. C. Bear said:

PartyBear said:

D. C. Bear said:

PartyBear said:

DC you are projecting when you talk condescension. I will tell you this though since you have blinded yourself with your rationalizing for Trump. No one close to Reagan and no one high up in his administration ever sent a private message to the country that Reagan is amoral, lawless, corrupt and he is trying to destroy the country. But that a cabal of folks of us has taken over in the WH to prevent that until he is removed from office. That just never happened and I would add Reagan never ever behaved like Trump at all. Where we are now is completely unprecedented.
corncob pipe
It was McCain...he's a ghost writer....

GoneGirl
Forest Bueller said:

Doc Holliday said:

Jinx 2 said:

You poor old knuckleheads don't realize how bad and embarrassing this is. I'm wondering if it's a response to Bob Woodward's book.

What it says is that members of Trump's administration realize he's dangerous and incompetent, and they're quietly working togetehr and at cross purposes with him, both to promote different agendas and initiatives and to keep his most distructive tendencies in check and 'thwart parts of his agenda."

Here's the subhead: "I work for the president but like-minded colleagues and I have vowed to thwart parts of his agenda and his worst inclinations."

An international paper has just published an article by a minion working for Trump to the effect that Trump isn't in control of the U.S. government; it's actually controlled by a confederacy of dunces hiding in plain sight in his administration.

That's embarrassing--and not just for Trump. It'll be interesting to see how he reacts.

Give us a reason why we should believe it?

Cause Jinky and Cinky say you a idget if you don't "just believe".

I feel sorry for them as hate for Trump has become their one true religion
I understand the unwavering support of some posters for Trump, but your support for him mystifies me.

Trump is everything you--and any other good (and I mean the literally) Christian man--are not: mean, petty, vengeful, destructive, vain and selfish. He never wanted to govern; he wanted the ego boost he got from the campaign rallies where he could get people to gleefully chant "Lock her up" about his opponent instead of discussing actual policy.

As for what he promised, what has he really delivered?

Two very conservative SCOTUS justices--check.

Health care better than Obamacare? No.

Jobs? Maybe. But coal isn't sustainable, the economy was already doing well, and on the job front we are heading for a hard landing within the next 5 years--a term too long for the American voter.

Tax cut. Only for the wealthy, and it came at the expense of the poor.

Fiscal responsibility? The national debt is skyrocketing because Trump and the GOP cut taxes but not spending. He and the Republicans have kicked the can down the road.

In the meantime, the White House has become a circus of bad behavior, departing staff members, secret recordings and now we find out that a committee of insiders on Trump's staff is actually governing the country and dictating policy because, well, Trump isn't capable of doing either by experience, intelligence or temperament.

Some of these guys are hopeless. They like Trump because he's like them or what they want to be: rich and arrogant and capable of saying f---- you to anyone. But you aren't. What about Trump keeps you in his camp?
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
The mainstream news media has become more of a threat to Americans and our way of life than the Russians. It is not even close.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
PartyBear
Yeah right that is like last football season some idiot claiming the media is the enemy of Baylor because every Sunday they reported the score of our game.
Doc Holliday
Forest Bueller said:

Doc Holliday said:

MilliVanilli said:

Extremely looney!

Hate can drive a man to believe a lot of crazy things.
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." ~ John Adams
Golem
PartyBear said:

Yeah right that is like last football season some idiot claiming the media is the enemy of Baylor because every Sunday they reported the score of our game.

They (the MSM) are the propaganda arm of the left. They are working tirelessly to promote actual socialism. They are promoting the very things we opposed throughout the Cold War ...mainly slavery of the people to the state. It's no overstatement to say they are enemies of the people in large part.
D. C. Bear
PartyBear said:

D. C. Bear said:

PartyBear said:

D. C. Bear said:

PartyBear said:

DC you are projecting when you talk condescension. I will tell you this though since you have blinded yourself with your rationalizing for Trump. No one close to Reagan and no one high up in his administration ever sent a private message to the country that Reagan is amoral, lawless, corrupt and he is trying to destroy the country. But that a cabal of folks of us has taken over in the WH to prevent that until he is removed from office. That just never happened and I would add Reagan never ever behaved like Trump at all. Where we are now is completely unprecedented.

No, I am not projecting or "rationalizing for Trump," and it is evidence of your condesending attitude that you say I am. I don't like Trump as a person, am not fond of his leadership style and find little to like in his policies. I have said that having an official write an anonymous editorial is highly unusual. It is. Taking that editorial as gospel, or taking Woodward's book as gospel, however, is ill advised. Anonymous sources hold greater potential for being biased and untrustworthy, particularly those whose policy apple carts and/or sense of decorum may have been upended by having a president in the White House who doesn't follow the traditional script. When you combine this with media members who largely detest the president and a media environment where traditional journalistic ethics have pretty much been abolished, the potential for screwing up increases exponentially. The collapse of traditional journalism ethics would be true whether Trump was president or someone else, but Trump adds to the feeding frenzy.
corncob pipe
EXCELLENT DC

it's all out war now.. Trump will fight fire with fire....
GoneGirl
xiledinok said:

Trump is screaming more than usual. He went off in front of the retired Barney Fife possee. The insider stories confirm he acts like a baby.
Trump's own swamp is feeding him to the gators.
Timing is everything. The GOP has achieved what it can achieve with Trump in the White House--wholesale deregulation, a tax cut for the rich and two uber-conservative SCOTUS judges who are guaranteed to eliminate full reproductive rights for women and some civil rights for gay people and minorities.

Now they can throw Trump under the bus. He's hard to work with, unpredictable and dumb, and he's about to be revealed as corrupt. They can get out now and minimize the damage to the GOP. And doing that makes them look like the adults in the room--saving us from a despotic, irrational president who isn't capable of governing by intelligence or temperament. Now that he's no longer useful in advance their agendas, he's disposable.

I'm hoping the American people are smart enough so this cynical gambit, conveniently timed to use Bob Woodward's book as leverage while taking attention away from it and focusing on the "adults in the room"--the good Republicans who brought us such brilliant policies as increased environmental pollution, a return to coal, a ballooning deficit and no viable healthcare solution (but undermining of the viable solution currently in place)--can come in and save the day.

But lots of people voted for Trump, so they may buy this "good citizen" canard to explain a soft coup within the Trump administration.

Hope Mueller hurries up. Time is running out for his investigation to do much good.
Florda_mike
PartyBear said:

Yeah right

Geez
Florda_mike
GolemIII said:

PartyBear said:

They (the MSM) are the propaganda arm of the left. They are working tirelessly to promote actual socialism. They are promoting the very things we opposed throughout the Cold War ...mainly slavery of the people to the state. It's no overstatement to say they are enemies of the people in large part.

Yes we need cleansed of them too

They are the treasonous ones

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.