Will educators make a difference in Lt Gov Race?

8,922 Views | 129 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Oldbear83
cowboycwr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Waco1947 said:

whiterock said:

Patrick is the only Texas GOP elected official at risk in this election. I'm a little worried Collier could sneak up & nip him.

It's bigger than just the bathroom issue cited above (on which he is right and not really vulnerable.) It's property tax increases. Democrats have successfully managed to control the volume of local reporting on the issue, blaming state lege budgets rather than the fraud that's occurring in the Appraisal Districts.
That's deflection. The GOP strategy is cut service and education funds and then kick the problem to local level. I believe that we are citizens who want an educated culture.
Culture cannot be educated.

A population of people can be educated.
Waco1947
That's silliness. Culture can be taught. I was taught an American culture from 1st grade to 12th grade in Waco schools. I learned what it meant to be a citizen and seek justice for all. I said if in the pledge alliance everyday.
YoakDaddy
Waco1947 said:

It carries away flood waters protecting your home

It's s ditch; not a scenic waterway that increases home value.
Waco1947
YoakDaddy said:

Waco1947 said:

It's a ditch to carry away water.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Waco1947 said:

That's silliness. Culture can be taught. I was taught an American culture from 1st grade to 12th grade in Waco schools. I learned what it meant to be a citizen and seek justice for all. I said if in the pledge alliance everyday.
Thank you Waco. We finally figured out why you seem to hate old, balding white men so much. It is because of the Waco schools. Mystery solved.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Malbec
Waco1947 said:

YoakDaddy said:

Waco1947 said:

Which makes it a benefit to taxation on the structures it protects, not to mention the subsidizers of flood insurance. It's kind of like your insurance carrier raising your premium because you put a security system in your home.
Florda_mike
Bump

Read last few posts

Interesting
4th and Inches
Malbec said:

Waco1947 said:

YoakDaddy said:

Waco1947 said:

Which makes it a benefit to taxation on the structures it protects, not to mention the subsidizers of flood insurance. It's kind of like your insurance carrier raising your premium because you put a security system in your home.
sorta...

Your ins premiums are lower because your house is brick(facade- not many real brick houses in waco) but your house is more valuable because people are told that slab foundation brick facade houses are the best... give me a well built pier and beam house every time.

So your appraised value of the house is higher because it is better protected than surrounding houses that dont have such protection. To be decils advocate, liability is higher therefore lowering value of the house... argue millions of dollars worth of property values every year.
YoakDaddy
Waco1947 said:

YoakDaddy said:

Waco1947 said:

Yes. It's a ditch. That's all, but when an appraisal district determines a bar ditch to be a scenic waterway in order to increase home value for taxing, that's fraud and theft.
whiterock
Amazing reading here.

So the government takes your property tax money, uses it for public infrastructure improvements, then increases your property taxes because that enhanced public infrastructure increases the value of your home.

I mean, I get it that resurfacing the road in front of your house is a benefit, but did anyone ever get a tax discount for the depreciating condition of the well used roads? Public maintenance is a value enhancement?

You had a house. Nearby development posed a risk to existing drainage. So solving that problem becomes a value enhancement only if you got a discount for the ore-existing condition.

Geez. What a racket.

Appraisal districts are run by the taxing entities. Completely legal. Completely conflicted interests. Boards, councils, and commissions have a vested interest in raising revenue by increasing tax values rather than tax rates. And that is EXACTLY what is happening. With the Gov pledging to cap value increases, local entities are hiding behind school finance minutia. Corrupt.

Osodecentx
whiterock said:

Appraisal districts are run by the taxing entities. Completely legal. Completely conflicted interests. Boards, councils, and commissions have a vested interest in raising revenue by increasing tax values rather than tax rates. And that is EXACTLY what is happening.
Excellent summary
cowboycwr
Waco1947 said:

No it isn't. Taught and educated are two different things.

A person is educated or not.

A subject can be taught but not educated.

Culture is a subject.

Culture is not educated. It is taught.

You show your ignorance yet again.
Waco1947
cowboycwr said:

Waco1947 said:

Culture is a subject.

Really? You're making distinction without a difference. Do you really have to argue every point?
Sam Lowry
fadskier said:

and I agree that boys should use boys bathrooms/locker rooms and girls should use theirs but it should not be a state government mandate. Each school district and their voters can make that decision.
If Collier wins the office, I think you'll find that he disagrees.
Waco1947
And what is your solution? How does fund local schools and government?
cowboycwr
Waco1947 said:

cowboycwr said:

Waco1947 said:

Culture is a subject.

Really? You're making distinction without a difference. Do you really have to argue every point?
Yes there is a difference.

You are the one who argues every point. Even when there is no point.
Waco1947
Ahh you brought up "you cannot educate culture"
cowboycwr
Waco1947 said:

Ahh you brought up "you cannot educate culture"
I pointed out a fact. You then argued the fact that was pointed out to you.
bularry
fadskier said:

My wife and I will be voting for one Democrat this year...Collier over Patrick. It's an easy choice. While my wife and I are very conservative, one Democrat isn't going to turn this state blue. Dan Patrick is a complete moron.

and I agree that boys should use boys bathrooms/locker rooms and girls should use theirs but it should not be a state government mandate. Each school district and their voters can make that decision.

Patrick is the dumbest person in office, but he chirps the right sound bites to the R masses. Can't imagine he'll lose
bularry
whiterock said:

Amazing reading here.

So the government takes your property tax money, uses it for public infrastructure improvements, then increases your property taxes because that enhanced public infrastructure increases the value of your home.

I mean, I get it that resurfacing the road in front of your house is a benefit, but did anyone ever get a tax discount for the depreciating condition of the well used roads? Public maintenance is a value enhancement?

You had a house. Nearby development posed a risk to existing drainage. So solving that problem becomes a value enhancement only if you got a discount for the ore-existing condition.

Geez. What a racket.

Appraisal districts are run by the taxing entities. Completely legal. Completely conflicted interests. Boards, councils, and commissions have a vested interest in raising revenue by increasing tax values rather than tax rates. And that is EXACTLY what is happening. With the Gov pledging to cap value increases, local entities are hiding behind school finance minutia. Corrupt.

We could be honest and raise rates to necessary levels and leave valuations alone. But no, raising rates is communist so we get higher values
fadskier
Sam Lowry said:

fadskier said:

I already know that Patrick disagrees...
Sam Lowry
fadskier said:

Sam Lowry said:

fadskier said:

So if it's going to be a state mandate, who do you want making the call?
fadskier
Sam Lowry said:

fadskier said:

Sam Lowry said:

fadskier said:

So if it's going to be a state mandate, who do you want making the call?
It won't be a state-mandate. If Collier is head of the senate, neither side will be able to pass it. Sometimes (and often in government) a stalemate is a good thing.
fadskier
Besides, you do realize that people have been able to use the bathroom of their choice since the invention of public bathrooms, right?
whiterock
This conversation is a great example of the kind of insanity that post-modernism brings.

The left on one hand insists that sexual preference is genetic, despite the fact that we've mapped the human genome and there is no "gay gene," while on the other hand insisting that gender is a choice influenced by social convention, despite the fact that we have long known it is a mendelian genetic trait involving the chromosomes X and Y or lack thereof.

The left knows our better instincts lead most people to believe that compromise is good and therefore we should seek it, and so they constantly seek to force the dialogue into politically correct strictures which lead to lose-lose propositions. In this case, the choice is between standing on what we know to be true (sexual preference is a choice and gender is genetic) and risking being called something deplorable, or accepting what we know not to be true (the inverse) to avoid the bullying and end up with our mothers, wives, daughters, and granddaughters sharing public toilets & showers with men wearing dresses.

There is no common ground on this issue. It's a choice between common sense and nonsense. The left is trying to intimidate reason by insisting that one is a bigot or worse if they refuse to accept the nonsense, in the shadow of the implicit threat a mob if necessary to force the issue. I think Americans have grown weary of such bullying. It would be one thing if these issues were material. But they are not. They are totally contrived. Totally immaterial to the things that grow an economy, build tax base, create jobs, and expand liberty.

So no more. Not one inch. Sometimes, you just have to win. I'll get reasonable when the barbarians go back to their own little patch of the forest and live their fantasies amongst themselves. I appreciate the LtGov's stand and hope he wins it, as it might spare us future battles down the road.
Waco1947
It appears that sexual identity is on a continuum from gay to straight and maybe up and down from male to female. At least that is the latest greatest thinking.
Sam Lowry
fadskier said:

Besides, you do realize that people have been able to use the bathroom of their choice since the invention of public bathrooms, right?
School bathrooms aren't public, but in any case it's not really about bathrooms. It's about the upbringing of children, competing ideologies, and whether maleness and femaleness are objective realities or subjective perceptions. The implications are broad and long-lasting, and LGBT advocates won't let the issue go away.
Osodecentx
Sam Lowry said:

fadskier said:

School bathrooms aren't public, but in any case it's not really about bathrooms. It's about the upbringing of children, competing ideologies, and whether maleness and femaleness are objective realities or subjective perceptions. The implications are broad and long-lasting, and LGBT advocates won't let the issue go away.
It is part of the reason the LGBTQ lobbied and fought against Kavanaugh. They rely on the courts to legislate their goals
whiterock
Waco1947 said:

It appears that sexual identity is on a continuum from gay to straight and maybe up and down from male to female. At least that is the latest greatest thinking.

The "latest thinking" is increasingly a contributor to the nonsense

like most normal human beings do, I will continue to enjoy what I do with my willy and form my identity around more important things
fadskier
Sam Lowry said:

fadskier said:

Do we want the state dictating the upbringing of children? It's okay as long as it is going your way, but when/if government changes...look out.

The only school district that made a decision was Fort Worth ISD. If the voters of FWISD don't like it, then they have elected officials to go to.
Sam Lowry
fadskier said:

Sam Lowry said:

fadskier said:

Do we want the state dictating the upbringing of children? It's okay as long as it is going your way, but when/if government changes...look out.

The only school district that made a decision was Fort Worth ISD. If the voters of FWISD don't like it, then they have elected officials to go to.
If children are in public schools, the state has a role in their upbringing. We want it to be ideologically neutral as far as possible, but I don't see a neutral answer on this issue. Either the state is going to promote Marxian gender ideology to your kids, or it isn't.
Sam Lowry
Osodecentx said:

Sam Lowry said:

fadskier said:

It is part of the reason the LGBTQ lobbied and fought against Kavanaugh. They rely on the courts to legislate their goals
They rely on the courts to legislate their goals after the voters reject them. If we don't do our part, the issue will never reach the courts and Kavanaugh will be of no help.
cowboycwr
fadskier said:

To me it isn't about bathrooms. The issue will be locker rooms.

How long does a boy have to declare himself to be a girl? A day? A week?

The issue will be high school boys saying "I'm a girl. I can use the girls locker room" just so they can go in and peep on girls.

That is the issue. Where someone goes #1 or 2 is not.
fadskier
cowboycwr said:

fadskier said:

The issue will be high school boys saying "I'm a girl. I can use the girls locker room" just so they can go in and peep on girls.

But no school district has allowed that...not one. Dan Patrick started this whole thing by coming up with a solution to a non-existent problem.
cowboycwr
fadskier said:

cowboycwr said:

fadskier said:

But no school district has allowed that...not one. Dan Patrick started this whole thing by coming up with a solution to a non-existent problem.
So your thought process is because it has not been an issue previously we should not consider it and prepare for it in the future.....Yeah that is great planning. That is the type that has led to lax security at airports, schools, outdated military tactics in numerous wars, identity theft being a huge deal, package theft, etc that have caused governments, police, businesses, etc to be behind the curve and reacting to the issue instead of being proactive.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.