Are the tax cuts working?

17,499 Views | 183 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Jack Bauer
HuMcK
How long do you want to ignore this user?
contrario said:

HuMcK said:

This really isn't that surprising. A recession was going to happen around this time regardless of who was president. It's the natural economic cycle. It will be interesting to see how bad it is and long it lasts though. It seems like market fundamentals are better this time around, but we shall see.

Except for the massively inflated budget deficit this time around, I believe in 2008 it was half or less than the FY2018 deficit. That deficit will seriously constrain the options available for the next recovery.
contrario
HuMcK said:

contrario said:

HuMcK said:

This really isn't that surprising. A recession was going to happen around this time regardless of who was president. It's the natural economic cycle. It will be interesting to see how bad it is and long it lasts though. It seems like market fundamentals are better this time around, but we shall see.

Except for the massively inflated budget deficit this time around, I believe in 2008 it was half or less than the FY2018 deficit. That deficit will seriously constrain the options available for the next recovery.
I don't think more federal spending is the answer to a recovery, so I'm actually glad the government will be restrained to pass even more spending under the guise of trying to fix the economy. However, if we are being honest, that won't stop the spenders on the left and right from still spending much more than we bring in, so it really doesn't matter.
HuMcK
contrario said:

HuMcK said:

contrario said:

HuMcK said:

I don't think more federal spending is the answer to a recovery, so I'm actually glad the government will be restrained to pass even more spending under the guise of trying to fix the economy. However, if we are being honest, that won't stop the spenders on the left and right from still spending much more than we bring in, so it really doesn't matter.

Thing is, it doesn't really matter what you "think" the answer is. Generally speaking, the consensus view is that economic recovery after a downturn requires stimulus of some kind. That can be in the form of spending/subsidising designed to create jobs, or tax cuts targeted in such a way as to incentivise job growth. Either way, those are deficit increasing options, and if the deficit is already sky high when a downturn hits (like it probably will be this time, thanks GOP), we will be severely limited in what we can do. The maxim I've always heard is something like "save in the good times so that you can spend in the bad times".

What you're describing, freezing or cutting spending during a downturn, is what the Europeans would call "Austerity". Just ask the Greeks and Italians how fun and effective that was for them after the 2008 crash. Economists have been screaming since 2017 that the tax cuts were ill-timed and not needed while the economy was doing relatively well, I'm worried that we will get to see first-hand why they were saying that.
contrario
HuMcK said:

contrario said:

HuMcK said:

contrario said:

HuMcK said:

Thing is, it doesn't really matter what you "think" the answer is. Generally speaking, the consensus view is that economic recovery after a downturn requires stimulus of some kind. That can be in the form of spending/subsidising designed to create jobs, or tax cuts targeted in such a way as to incentivise job growth. Either way, those are deficit increasing options, and if the deficit is already sky high when a downturn hits (like it probably will be this time, thanks GOP), we will be severely limited in what we can do. The maxim I've always heard is something like "save in the good times so that you can spend in the bad times".

What you're describing, freezing or cutting spending during a downturn, is what the Europeans would call "Austerity". Just ask the Greeks and Italians how fun and effective that was for them after the 2008 crash. Economists have been screaming since 2017 that the tax cuts were ill-timed and not needed while the economy was doing relatively well, I'm worried that we will get to see first-hand why they were saying that.
You are clearly young and your world view is very 21st century. Stimulus spending was not always the answer to economic downturns. And there is a very strong case to be made to let the economy work itself out and for the government to step back. Stimulus spending is just oppotunistic policy that takes advantage of a slow economy to get pet projects passed.

The tax cuts were not the issue. The bipartisan spending bill that followed was the issue. For once, step back from Huffinton Post or Salon and realize that the issues we face are not either republican or Democrat, it is both republican and Democrat. Both parties spend more than we bring in.
YoakDaddy
Doc Holliday said:

Waco1947 said:

YoakDaddy said:

Waco1947 said:

God that is short sighted. No one is an island. Who stores the records saying you own your property? When the enemy crosses your fence line who ya gonna call? Who launched the satellites for your cell phone? Who insects the feed for your catttle? Who protects me from your damaged or diseased products? Who delivers your mail? Who developed the internet for your email? Yoak you're clinging to silliness regardless of how many founders you read. And if I claim lay claim to your land and move on in who will you appeal to? If I shoot you dead who will prosecute on behalf of your descendants?

You believe in infanticide and as someone in the ministry, that's unconscionable. Your opinion is garbage to me.
Stupid damn liar. Stupid because you can't comprehend a morally complex idea of the sanctity of a woman's body. And a liar because I am anti abortion, pro life beyond birth (unlike you) and pro choice for a decision that's none of your damn business. As soon as you allow for mandated vasectomies for men I just might pay attention to your stupid slander.
Why do you see it solely as a woman's body and not two different individuals?
Or if you do see two individuals, baby and mother, why do you think the mother should be the only one making the decision?

I don't see how you as a Christian can see it that way.

Who said he was a Christian?
YoakDaddy
Waco1947 said:

She's a gift from God. She's a child of God. She is here with al it's trials and tribulations and and god/bad decisions in a complexity you cannot sort out for for her. Her life has consequences that you can never imagine. It's none of your businesss. You don't want her rummaging around in your life, marriage, browser history because it's none of her business so grant her the same right, please.

Infants in the womb are not bad decisions. Ever.
Canada2017
YoakDaddy said:

Waco1947 said:

She's a gift from God. She's a child of God. She is here with al it's trials and tribulations and and god/bad decisions in a complexity you cannot sort out for for her. Her life has consequences that you can never imagine. It's none of your businesss. You don't want her rummaging around in your life, marriage, browser history because it's none of her business so grant her the same right, please.

We are expecting our 2nd grandson in March . My wife and I would willingly sacrifice ourselves for him ....or our 2.5 year old.

How anyone can kill the unborn or attempt to reduce such a murderous act into a philosophical debating point...is beyond all ethical rational.

For one to claim to be a disciple of Jesus Christ, to claim to be a 'minister' of His teachings and STILL defend, support and condone such killings is the height of dishonesty, self deception and hypocrisy.
Doc Holliday
Canada2017 said:

YoakDaddy said:

Waco1947 said:

We are expecting our 2nd grandson in March . My wife and I would willingly sacrifice ourselves for him ....or our 2.5 year old.

How anyone can kill the unborn or attempt to reduce such a murderous act into a philosophical debating point...is beyond all ethical rational.

For one to claim to be a disciple of Jesus Christ, to claim to be a 'minister' of His teachings and STILL defend, support and condone such killings is the height of dishonesty, self deception and hypocrisy.
His religion is the Democratic party.
He listens to their disciples on CNN.

His thoughts are bought and paid for.

It's that simple.
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." ~ John Adams
Canada2017
Doc Holliday said:

Canada2017 said:

YoakDaddy said:

Waco1947 said:

His religion is the Democratic party.
He listens to their disciples on CNN.

His thoughts are bought and paid for.

It's that simple.

Not in this case....this 'minister' is major league mental .
Waco1947
Jesus called. He said "Follow me and love your enemies." why would he say that?
Canada2017
Waco1947 said:

Jesus called. He said "Follow me and live your enemies." Hoag why would he say that?

Jesus taught the value of life .

There is absolutely no way in the world to pretend Jesus would condone abortion . Murdering babies is literally the antithesis of His message .

Yet you constantly ignore and avoid this reality .

Old fraud .....you are a very sick individual.
riflebear

Apple plans to build a $1 billion campus in Austin, Texas, that will create at least 5,000 jobs ranging from engineers to call-center agents while adding more luster to a Southwestern city that has already become a bustling tech hub.

The decision, announced Thursday, comes 11 months after Apple CEO Tim Cook disclosed plans to open a major office outside California on the heels of a massive tax cut on overseas profits, which prompted the company to bring about $250 billion back to the U.S.
Waco1947
Canada2017 said:

Waco1947 said:

Jesus called. He said "Follow me and live your enemies." Hoag why would he say that?

There is absolutely no way in the world to pretend Jesus would condone abortion . Murdering babies is literally the antithesis of His message .

The enemy is your heart is me. And you cannot loves or women who seeks abortions. Hate fills your heart.
Doc Holliday
Waco1947 said:

Canada2017 said:

Waco1947 said:

The enemy is your heart is me. And you cannot loves or women who seeks abortions. Hate fills your heart.
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." ~ John Adams
xiledinok
It's not working. Trickle down economics has never worked.

Trump's picking and choosing winners in the economy hasn't worked out well.
The coal mines are not opening back up and oil prices are headed back to $48 for a while (time to move to Midland if in that business, O traded the protectionist oil embargo export ban for "reproductive rights").
contrario
xiledinok said:

You're just flat out wrong on this.
Doc Holliday
xiledinok said:

Trump's picking and choosing winners in the economy hasn't worked out well.
The coal mines are not opening back up and oil prices are headed back to $48 for a while (time to move to Midland if in that business, O traded the protectionist oil embargo export ban for "reproductive rights").
You have no clue what you're talking about.

I'd like for you to explain how America became an economic super power in less than 240 years...
curtpenn
contrario said:

Waco1947 said:

contrario said:

Waco1947 said:

Read the article. Tax cuts did not increase revenues and spending surged. A quick boost to the economy but like a sugar high
And my point was we need more time to measure the effectiveness of the tax cuts. With any new policy like this there are short- and long-term benefits and consequences. We experienced the short term benefits, or sugar high as you put it, but may be 3-5 years before we can adequately measure the long-term benefits, keeping in mind there will be some milemarkers along the way. Tax payers still haven't even filed their 2018 income taxes, so one could even argue we still don't even know what the short-term benefits will be because all we know is that withholdings were adjusted for 2018, but that isn't the same as what the actual end of year tax bill will be. It could be worse than we think, or it could be better after people actually file and pay their 2018 taxes. We shall see.

All of this has nothing to do with the deficit though. The soaring deficit is caused by the enormous bipartisan spending bill that continues the long-standing policy of both parties to spend more than we bring in. We still aren't completely sure how the tax bill will impact federal tax revenue, but if history holds true, federal tax revenue will continue to rise over the long-term at a relatively stable rate, barring a major decline in the economy. So what we are left with is trying to control spending in order to reduce the annual deficit, something both parties have shown no interest in doing.
You are right that it is bipartisan but the gop fiscal hawks collapsed after Obama. I find it suspicious.
No they don't. The republicans have been spending out of their arses for decades. They just spend money in different places than democrats. And any appearance of fiscal responsibility republicans demonstrated during the Obama administration was to get votes so they could get back in power and then spend money in the places they want to. The same goes for the democrats. They will act like they care about the deficit as long as Trump is in office so they can regain power and spend money where they want to spend it. Don't you see this? This is the stupid game the two parties play: gain power, abuse power, lose power, obstruct the opposition party when they are in power, regain power and then repeat. It's so fcking mindless and the sheep on both sides fall for the stupid games every time. And the system is rigged so that a legitimate 3rd party could never make a serious run at gaining power, so we are stuck in this hamster wheel of death while the two parties spend us into oblivion.
^^^^ x 1,000. So true. Gotta stay on that hamster wheel a few more years, unfortunately.
Waco1947
You cannot empathize with these women. That's sad. All you got is a meme. You really empathetic love
Waco1947
curtpenn said:

contrario said:

Waco1947 said:

contrario said:

Waco1947 said:

Read the article. Tax cuts did not increase revenues and spending surged. A quick boost to the economy but like a sugar high
And my point was we need more time to measure the effectiveness of the tax cuts. With any new policy like this there are short- and long-term benefits and consequences. We experienced the short term benefits, or sugar high as you put it, but may be 3-5 years before we can adequately measure the long-term benefits, keeping in mind there will be some milemarkers along the way. Tax payers still haven't even filed their 2018 income taxes, so one could even argue we still don't even know what the short-term benefits will be because all we know is that withholdings were adjusted for 2018, but that isn't the same as what the actual end of year tax bill will be. It could be worse than we think, or it could be better after people actually file and pay their 2018 taxes. We shall see.

All of this has nothing to do with the deficit though. The soaring deficit is caused by the enormous bipartisan spending bill that continues the long-standing policy of both parties to spend more than we bring in. We still aren't completely sure how the tax bill will impact federal tax revenue, but if history holds true, federal tax revenue will continue to rise over the long-term at a relatively stable rate, barring a major decline in the economy. So what we are left with is trying to control spending in order to reduce the annual deficit, something both parties have shown no interest in doing.
You are right that it is bipartisan but the gop fiscal hawks collapsed after Obama. I find it suspicious.
No they don't. The republicans have been spending out of their arses for decades. They just spend money in different places than democrats. And any appearance of fiscal responsibility republicans demonstrated during the Obama administration was to get votes so they could get back in power and then spend money in the places they want to. The same goes for the democrats. They will act like they care about the deficit as long as Trump is in office so they can regain power and spend money where they want to spend it. Don't you see this? This is the stupid game the two parties play: gain power, abuse power, lose power, obstruct the opposition party when they are in power, regain power and then repeat. It's so fcking mindless and the sheep on both sides fall for the stupid games every time. And the system is rigged so that a legitimate 3rd party could never make a serious run at gaining power, so we are stuck in this hamster wheel of death while the two parties spend us into oblivion.
^^^^ x 1,000. So true. Gotta stay on that hamster wheel a few more years, unfortunately.
Xero argument from me Dems and GOP have different voting adherents but they each vote raises for their own groupings. My prejudice is that Dems do a little better job of giving a hand up.
Doc Holliday
Waco1947 said:

curtpenn said:

contrario said:

Waco1947 said:

contrario said:

Waco1947 said:

Xero argument from me Dems and GOP have different voting adherents but they each vote raises for their own groupings. My prejudice is that Dems do a little better job of giving a hand up.
My prejudice is that Democrats in their talking points of 'giving a better hand up' inadvertently make it worse for the disenfranchised.

Which is a better scenario:

1.) The parents who lets their son stay at home well into his 20's. They don't make him get a job, he has no expectations and lives in their basement. The parents have enabled this behavior by being a safety net and something the son can rely on.

2.) The parents who put their foot down and say "get a job, go to school or get out". The son realizes his only path is to better himself and he goes to school and gets a job.

People who support handouts, with respect to their intentions, create scenario one much more often than the handout achieving scenario two.

This is basic human nature. It even effects animals.

Handouts should be reserved for those who cannot climb the ladder of life and that is a VERY SMALL portion of the population.
contrario
Waco1947 said:

curtpenn said:

contrario said:

Waco1947 said:

contrario said:

Waco1947 said:

Giving a hand up may not be what's best for many. That isn't to say we shouldn't help people that are beyond being able to help themselves, but there are many that are capable that don't produce because they are depending on the hand up.
xiledinok
Enjoy the recession and low oil prices.
George H. Bush pegged it as voodoo economics.
He was wealthy and had money since his father had generations of money.
How's the stock market? The IMF money cannot keep it rolling.
contrario
xiledinok said:

Enjoy the recession and low oil prices.
George H. Bush pegged it as voodoo economics.
He was wealthy and had money since his father had generations of money.
How's the stock market? The IMF money cannot keep it rolling.
Recessions happen. It's the expectation that they will never happen again is why people lose money in a recession.
Waco1947
So tax cuts a sugar high?
What about buy backs for us investors?
HuMcK
Doc Holliday
HuMcK said:

It's a spending problem. Not a revenue problem.

Are you an advocate for increased taxes?

FYI we live in a zero sum economy. Are you also looking at increased jobs and trillions gained in the stock market?
HuMcK
Doc Holliday said:

HuMcK said:

It's a spending problem. Not a revenue problem.

Are you an advocate for increased taxes?

FYI we live in a zero sum economy. Are you also looking at increased jobs and trillions gained in the stock market?

Yes, taxes must increase if the deficit is ever going to be eliminated. The idea that the budget can be balanced through spending cuts alone is fantasy. Obama offered Boehner the most serious attempt at fixing the budget since the Clinton surplus when they negotiated $9 in spending cuts for every $1 in new revenues raised through tax increases. Higher marginal rates for higher income brackets ($1mil+) would help, changes in how so called "unearned income" is taxed would raise revenue, and the elimination of corporate loopholes we were promised when the rates were cut in 2017 would be nice for the budget as well. This of course assumes no new substantial spending programs.

As for the economy's performance the last 12 months under the new tax regime...performance was mixed. Revenues down in both nominal and real terms is not a good sign at all, Dow basically erratic and only slightly up, personal income growing fairly slowly, unemployment is very low but was already under 5% when the changes were made...and the price tag for these lukewarm benefits is one huge mother of a structural deficit that will really bite when a downturn comes.
Waco1947
Tax cuts - sound and fury signifying nothing such as no increase in revenue.
Waco1947
HuMcK
Mitch Blood Green
HuMcK said:

Conservatives only care about deficits when Democrats are in office.
contrario
tommie said:

HuMcK said:

And the reverse holds true. I never once heard a democrat say anything about the deficit when Obama was in charge, not once. But now they act like deficits is all they care about. Both parties are hypocritical in this way.
Mitch Blood Green
contrario said:

tommie said:

HuMcK said:

And the reverse holds true. I never once heard a democrat say anything about the deficit when Obama was in charge, not once. But now they act like deficits is all they care about. Both parties are hypocritical in this way.

The reverse does not hold. There's a difference between the two. Democrats tax and spend. Republicans cut taxes and spend.

Republicans, with a straight face, will tell you cutting taxes will lead to increased revenue and when it doesn't work (it never does), they say it's because we didn't cut spending enough. We can cut spending without cutting taxes.
contrario
tommie said:

contrario said:

tommie said:

HuMcK said:

The reverse does not hold. There's a difference between the two. Democrats tax and spend. Republicans cut taxes and spend.

Republicans, with a straight face, will tell you cutting taxes will lead to increased revenue and when it doesn't work (it never does), they say it's because we didn't cut spending enough. We can cut spending without cutting taxes.
The thing you need to focus on is "and spend". That's the issue. If you examine tax policy and federal tax revenue over long periods of time and ignore blips, such as major recessions, you will note that tax revenue increases at a steady and predictable rate over the long term. Tax policy does not have a noticeable impact over the long term. This issue is always spending. And the Democrats will tell you they are paying for the additional spending with tax increases, but the end result is the same, which is larger deficits and out of control debt. Spending is and always will be the issue. We spend more than we bring in. We could tax everyone at the highest rates feasibly possible and it wouldn't matter. Run the numbers for yourself. Until spending is controlled, we will never get the debt under control. It's mathematically impossible. So stop blaming the other party when both parties are to blame for this mess. That's what they want us to do - blame the other guys while they continue to spend us into oblivion.
HuMcK
Business investment growth was negative, and that ain't great after a round of huge tax cuts. Also notable that last years 3% growth was revised down to 2.5%.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.