Whatever happened to the caravan?

9,115 Views | 88 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by HuMcK
Buddha Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
riflebear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

riflebear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

riflebear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

riflebear said:

Baylor3216 said:

????
Obviously the liberal media has been focused on Trump Cohen & Flynn.

But a few weeks AFTER the election that is all everyone was talking about was the caravan trying to cross the border. The U.S. stopped them.

There were multiple reports (even liberal) showing that the caravan was upset w/ the organizers because they were told they could get in easily so many have tried to return home.

You mean the felonies that the President directed in order to get elected?

Seriously, dude. *** is wrong with you? Are you having a mental break? Are you OK?
What r u talking about? This is a thread about the caravan and we're talking about the mid term elections.

I was responding to the thread and someone mocking Trump & the GOP that there is no more coverage on the caravan because it was supposedly fake or some odd excuse. I was simply stating that the press has moved on from the border storming a few weeks ago focusing on Trump Cohen & Flynn.

Yes. You're deriding the media for talking about FELONIES instead of a made-up issue in a caravan of mostly desperate women and children.

One ACTUALLY matters. The other one stopped being useful after the Republicans got trounced by the American public at the ballot box.
I was not 'deriding' the media at all. Again - someone mocked the lack of coverage of the caravan because they thought it was a fake issue - WHICH ITS NOT - illegal immigration is a disaster for this country we spend billions of dollars on a year.

I was simply responding to those comments. In no way was I saying they should not be covering the latest developments of Cohen or Flynn. Nice try though.
Sigh.

Illegal border crossings have been dropping for years. It's at its lowest point in decades.

But hey, you gave it a shot.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/20/us/politics/fact-check-trump-border-crossings-declining-.html
Maybe $135 Billion A YEAR isn't a lot of money to you...

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/record-135-billion-a-year-for-illegal-immigration-average-8-075-each-25-000-in-ny
That amount of money would cover free college tuition for all two times over. But even if we did close the border and save that money, we'd just waste it on the military. Maybe buy some new $1,500 coffee cups for them. So I guess what I'm trying to say is...who cares.
BrooksBearLives
Canada2017 said:

BrooksBearLives said:

83% of the benefits of the tax cuts went to the top 1%.

That's great that it was good for you. But your tax cut was put on the national credit card. Our kids will have to pay for it. The economy didn't measurably improve because of it.

And you can celebrate increases in military spending if you want, but we spend as much as the next 7+ countries of the world COMBINED.

Surely you could see how that's distressing, right? You could see how that reads as hypocritical coming from the party brands itself as one of fiscal responsibility?

With real threats from Russia , China, Iran and North Korea our military needed an increase in funding .

It was only common sense.

87% to 1 % is simply ridiculous . The working class has been assisted in a major way .

Biggest budget problem this country has is the incredibly high number of people ( both illegal and illegal ) who pay nothing in taxes yet demand entitlements.

Unfortunately that problem politicians are too intimidated to address.

I'm sorry, my friend, but you're just not dealing in facts. I'm going to have to ask you to back those statements up so at least I know where you're coming from -if you're serious about having a conversation.

83% of the 1.2 TRILLION in tax cuts went to the top 1% of earners. That's not made up. It's fact. Most of the rest went to the top 5% of earners.

And more spending military spending DOESNT equal more safety. Most of that spending is aimed at weapons fighting conventional war as opposed to asymmetrical wars. There's article after article about it. Google "tanks sitting in the desert to see pictures of hundreds of millions of dollars in tanks the Army didn't want, but got anyway.

And we spend more than China and Russia COMBINED. Much more. How can you square that up?
Canada2017
We have more world wide defense obligations.

Like it or not ( and I don't ) we are still the world's policeman.
Florda_mike
BrooksBearLives said:

Canada2017 said:

BrooksBearLives said:

That's great that it was good for you. But your tax cut was put on the national credit card. Our kids will have to pay for it. The economy didn't measurably improve because of it.

And you can celebrate increases in military spending if you want, but we spend as much as the next 7+ countries of the world COMBINED.

Surely you could see how that's distressing, right? You could see how that reads as hypocritical coming from the party brands itself as one of fiscal responsibility?

With real threats from Russia , China, Iran and North Korea our military needed an increase in funding .

87% to 1 % is simply ridiculous . The working class has been assisted in a major way .

Biggest budget problem this country has is the incredibly high number of people ( both illegal and illegal ) who pay nothing in taxes yet demand entitlements.

I'm sorry, my friend, but you're just not dealing in facts. I'm going to have to ask you to back those statements up so at least I know where you're coming from -if you're serious about having a conversation.

83% of the 1.2 TRILLION in tax cuts went to the top 1% of earners. That's not made up. It's fact. Most of the rest went to the top 5% of earners.

And more spending military spending DOESNT equal more safety. Most of that spending is aimed at weapons fighting conventional war as opposed to asymmetrical wars. There's article after article about it. Google "tanks sitting in the desert to see pictures of hundreds of millions of dollars in tanks the Army didn't want, but got anyway.

And we spend more than China and Russia COMBINED. Much more. How can you square that up?

Canada this dude is a waste of time

He's a child that's a know it all

Never got spanked unfortunately and could use a trip behind the barn if ya know what I mean

He'll ask you for facts of your statements while never supporting his own

He's just another angry Trump hating lib that can't see past his nose but for his Trump hatred

Just another level of a Cinquette
contrario
BrooksBearLives said:

Canada2017 said:

BrooksBearLives said:

You do realize if one pays a larger percentage of the tax bill any tax cut will impact them the most, right? That is to say, even if we gave a 100% tax break to some of the lower tax brackets, even a modest decrease in the tax rate to the other tax brackets would still yield a larger decrease in taxes for the higher earners purely because they pay significantly more in taxes, both on a gross dollar basis and an effective tax rate basis. With that said, the tax benefit will be felt by all tax payers even if it isn't as significant for lower tax brackets. The full impact won't be realized until people file their returns next year.

We also don't know how the tax bill will impact federal tax receipts. All we have are CBO projections which are always off. We will know how the tax bill impacted federal tax revenue in April. The empirical data suggests tax revenues will increase over the long term at a relatively steady rate. I expect that trend to continue.

But what we do know now is that the disaster bipartisan spending bill significantly increased spending, and that has always been our biggest issue. Our rate of spending growth has outpaced our rate of revenue growth and that is not sustainable. Partisans will cherry pick data in a feeble attempt to prove their party isn't to blame and it's the other party's fault, but the truth is, both parties are to blame and the politicians don't care and the voters are too busy blaming the other party to hold members of their own party accountable.
Canada2017
Florda_mike said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Canada2017 said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Never got spanked unfortunately and could use a trip behind the barn if ya know what I mean

He'll ask you for facts of your statements while never supporting his own

He's just another angry Trump hating lib that can't see past his nose but for his Trump hatred

Just another level of a Cinquette

Disagree my friend.

Brooks is intelligent and articulate.

I enjoy his opinions .
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Jim, I have met BBL a couple of times and would pay money to see you take him out behind the barn. He's a Baylor man with a Baylor degree. Go back and read his posts. He documents his facts unless its common knowledge. I dont always agree with him but he knows his stuff.
Florda_mike
Limited IQ Redneck in PU said:

Jim, I have met BBL a couple of times and would pay money to see you take him out behind the barn. He's a Baylor man with a Baylor degree. Go back and read his posts. He documents his facts unless its common knowledge. I dont always agree with him but he knows his stuff.

Yes I'll agree with him knowing HIS STUFF for sure

He knows his Title 9 bs STUFF and that's about it

How life works outside academia he has no clue and he proves that every post

30 years ago I'd happily met him behind barn too! It's needed
BrooksBearLives
Florda_mike said:

Are you serious right now? What is wrong with you? Honestly. You have the strangest hard-on for me and I can't figure out why. I'm trying so hard to have a real conversation with someone and you simply cannot help yourself.

Please. Keep my name out of your mouth and I am only TOO happy to return the favor. Usually I ignore the hell out of you, but threatening to kick my ass, or talking about how how I need to be beat is... I sincerely think that even you are better than that.
BrooksBearLives
Canada2017 said:

I will say that I think you have a fair point in principle. We should spend more as a matter of pure extension of resources. We have more forces.

Where we disagree is the matter of scale. We spend SO MUCH money on our Military, and we don't do so efficiently. I doubt you would disagree with that.

Here's an interesting article on the WORST of the 1.8 TRILLION dollar spending bill passed a couple years ago. It's from Forbes, too, which isn't exactly known for liberal bias.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/charlestiefer/2016/01/01/the-10-most-blatantly-wasteful-defense-items-in-the-recent-1-8-trillion-spending-bill/#405fbfab68cd

Here's where I really struggle. Please help me reconcile how conservatives will rail against government spending in ALL things, but have a blind spot for the military-industrial complex? I ask that honestly. No flaming.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
I dont complain about military spending much.

I know there is wasteful spending involved but there is always waste in anything so huge. I dont worry to much about military spending for three reasons:

1. I dont just want the best army, I want the biggest baddest army on the block. I dont want an army that China or Russia even thinks it can compete with.

2.I am not from a military family (at least not since WWII) but I have seen how the army can take a youngster and give him a chance to escape poverty. The military can take good youngsters from the wrong side of town and teach them to be good citizens. I know its not 100% but I have seen this happen hundreds of times. It provides jobs and teaches a work ethic. I would much rather support a young adult in the military than one hanging out on the corner. The military has also groomed some of the best leaders America has had.

3. Kind of related but the military also gives young adults to get excellent training and education in almost any field they want. I have seen soldiers exit the military and become commercial pilots, diesel mechanics, security experts etc etc. Most of the youngsters could not have gotten an education without the military.

I agree we spend a lot and waste some on our military but I dont think its as bad as what we spend on all types of welfare including college loans..
Buddha Bear
BrooksBearLives said:

Florda_mike said:

Are you serious right now? What is wrong with you? Honestly. You have the strangest hard-on for me and I can't figure out why. I'm trying so hard to have a real conversation with someone and you simply cannot help yourself.

Please. Keep my name out of your mouth and I am only TOO happy to return the favor. Usually I ignore the hell out of you, but threatening to kick my ass, or talking about how how I need to be beat is... I sincerely think that even you are better than that.
I'm willing to bet money that Florida is one of those guys that posts 5+ political posts a day on Facebook.
Florda_mike
Buddha Bear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Florda_mike said:

I'm willing to bet money that Florida is one of those guys that posts 5+ political posts a day on Facebook.

Don't do Facebook, do you?

Wonder who here post 5+ political posts a day on Facebook? I'd guess Cinque and Waco 1st
Canada2017
BrooksBearLives said:

Canada2017 said:

I will say that I think you have a fair point in principle. We should spend more as a matter of pure extension of resources. We have more forces.

Where we disagree is the matter of scale. We spend SO MUCH money on our Military, and we don't do so efficiently. I doubt you would disagree with that.

Here's an interesting article on the WORST of the 1.8 TRILLION dollar spending bill passed a couple years ago. It's from Forbes, too, which isn't exactly known for liberal bias.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/charlestiefer/2016/01/01/the-10-most-blatantly-wasteful-defense-items-in-the-recent-1-8-trillion-spending-bill/#405fbfab68cd

Here's where I really struggle. Please help me reconcile how conservatives will rail against government spending in ALL things, but have a blind spot for the military-industrial complex? I ask that honestly. No flaming.

I agree completely....there is a tremendous amount of waste in military spending . Honestly I don't have an answer on how to curb such practices....people have been trying to do so for decades unsuccessfully.

Unfortunately in this world of dictators, religious terrorists , over population pressures on limited resources ....combined with readily accessible ( and transportable ) weapons of mass destruction ( biological, nuclear , chemical ) we have little option but to remain a powerful and flexible deterrent.

Hate the fact we still pay for massive forces in South Korea and Western Europe. In my 'presidency ' would save billions by pulling those assets out immediately.

Florda_mike
BrooksBearLives said:

Florda_mike said:

And on que BBL plays internet victim again

Thought you had me on ignore

Geez
contrario
Florda_mike said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Florda_mike said:

Geez
Mike, you really need to tone it down a little. I respect your opinion, as I respect everyone's opinion on here, but sometimes you take it too far.
riflebear
I can see why several of our liberal posters seem very uninformed. When you watch shows on CNN or MSNBC you are being misled. Thankfully the DHS completely owned CNN for not doing their real job - journalism. One quick phone call from a 'journalist' (imagine that) could have answered their question. Instead they would rather mock the President but ended up w/ egg on their face.

CutTheTVoff
BrooksBearLives,

You seem reasonable. Do you have the courage do admit you are wrong about the caravan being "mostly desperate women and children"? We'll all patiently await your answer.

riflebear
Those Mexicans are such racists...

HuMcK
riflebear said:

With that style of handle ("political buzzwords+random #s") and posting history, I give 50/50 odds that's a sock-puppet propaganda account ran from somewhere overseas.
BrooksBearLives
Florda_mike said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Florda_mike said:

Geez
I did have you on ignore, but from time-to-time, you say something worthwhile, especially when it comes to track. That's obviously something you know a bit about, so I find it worthy.

See? I was able to talk to you without calling names or threatening to beat you up. It's fun.
Canada2017
riflebear said:

Reality is finally taking hold.....at least in Mexico .

CNN will take longer .
BrooksBearLives
CutTheTVoff said:

BrooksBearLives,

You seem reasonable. Do you have the courage do admit you are wrong about the caravan being "mostly desperate women and children"? We'll all patiently await your answer.

Wait, isn't Ami Horowitz the "documentarian" who supposedly filmed the immigrant crime-wave in Sweden that was thoroughly debunked as fraud?

Oh yes. Yes he is. https://www.dn.se/kultur-noje/nyheter/swedish-police-featured-in-fox-news-segment-filmmaker-is-a-madman/

I'm totally willing to admit I was wrong/mischaracterized the caravan if I could find trustworthy numbers. I'm looking for actual numbers and there aren't any from neutral/mainstream sources. Even DHS -the government agency in charge of this issue- has neglected to do a break-down of it, though much of the data it has released seems to directly contradict statements by the President.
https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2018/nov/02/heres-latest-migrant-caravans/

The original group of migrants who left Honduras was about 160 with most being families leaving for asylum and a little less than half were economic migrants (mostly men) leaving to either return to families in the states after being deported, or leaving to try and earn more than the $5 average a day that they could earn in Honduras.

The main point is that there are more families crossing while single men crossing are dropping. Ironically, that's a function of tighter borders. It used to be migration was cyclical and seasonal. Men would come across, earn money during harvest/planting season, and then go home for months at a time to their families. Since the border has been solidified, it's made it harder to cross, so they're only doing it once and bringing their families with them.

Quote:

Over the past several years, apprehensions of single adults at the US-Mexico border have declined. At the same time, apprehensions of unaccompanied children, and of parents with children, have continued to increase. In September 2018, children and families made up more than half of all people apprehended crossing the border illegally up from 17 percent in September 2013.

The US has developed a border policy that's designed to maximize the efficient apprehension and deportation of everyone trying to cross the border illegally and not get caught. It is not designed to facilitate the processing of families who are seeking asylum, a decision that is not immediate. Nor can families be kept in conventional ICE detention centers while they wait.
Refusing to offer asylum would violate international law. So the Trump administration has been trying to crack down on how families are treated after they arrive by detaining or separating them, for example.
riflebear
HuMcK said:

riflebear said:

With that style of handle ("political buzzwords+random #s") and posting history, I give 50/50 odds that's a sock-puppet propaganda account ran from somewhere overseas.
Who cares what 'twitter' account it's posted from. I could post 1000 twitter accts with those same quotes. The quotes are real and the Mayor and citizens of Mexico and Tijuana have been upset about this caravan for a month now. Do you really not know this? Several posters here have posted 100s of articles about Mexicans being furious with what is happening in Tijuana.
BrooksBearLives
riflebear said:

HuMcK said:

riflebear said:

Who cares what 'twitter' account it's posted from. I could post 1000 twitter accts with those same quotes. The quotes are real and the Mayor and citizens of Mexico and Tijuana have been upset about this caravan for a month now. Do you really not know this? Several posters here have posted 100s of articles about Mexicans being furious with what is happening in Tijuana.
You don't think the source matters?
Oldbear83
Florda_mike said:

That's not true. I happen to know that ALL Liberals in the US were spanked on November 8 2016.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
CutTheTVoff
How about numbers from the Department of Homeland Security? Here's a "break-down" of it. Maybe you should read.

The majority women and children thing is a sick lie.
Again we'll wait patiently.

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2018/11/01/myth-vs-fact-caravan
riflebear
BrooksBearLives said:

riflebear said:

HuMcK said:

riflebear said:

Have you all really not followed what's been going on or only watching CNN & MSNBC? Their city literally declared it a 'humanitarian crisis' a few weeks ago.

How about the 280 caravan migrants arrested.

This is from liberal TIME. Here is the actual Tijuana mayor talking - is he a bad source?

I have a real job, I don't have time to post the truth for every incorrect post you make or make you read real posts.

Florda_mike
BrooksBearLives said:

Florda_mike said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Florda_mike said:

Geez
I did have you on ignore, but from time-to-time, you say something worthwhile, especially when it comes to track. That's obviously something you know a bit about, so I find it worthy.

See? I was able to talk to you without calling names or threatening to beat you up. It's fun.

I love you too but don't care for T9 being used like the tool it is making colleges responsible for actions of students. Why can't you just charge students and be done there? Because that's not enough money for "victim"

You make livelihood off T9 and present yourself as know all

T9 just gave women 1:1 ratio with scholarships when I was in college and now T9 is another government mountain

I get tired of you because of that
contrario
BrooksBearLives said:

riflebear said:

HuMcK said:

riflebear said:

The source only matters when they give their slant. Facts know no source.
BrooksBearLives
CutTheTVoff said:

How about numbers from the Department of Homeland Security? Here's a "break-down" of it. Maybe you should read.

The majority women and children thing is a sick lie.
Again we'll wait patiently.

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2018/11/01/myth-vs-fact-caravan
First off, this are talking points released by DHS spokespersons. It's relatively light on facts and has more than a bit of supposition in it.

But here is one quote from it:
Quote:

Q: Is the caravan only women and children?

A: No, reports on the ground from our foreign partners suggest that approximately 50 percent are single adults.
Approximately 50% is not "most." It sounds like it's a squishy number -which honestly makes sense. The caravan started off as 160 people leaving from Honduras, and more people joined with them. The media sensationalized it (and Trump/conservatives bear more than a little responsibility for that) and it grew quickly at least in part because of the publicity. Other migrants found out about it and then joined it -which was what made it so remarkable.

The caravan was never one, contiguous thing, but rather a blob, growing and shrinking at different points. Multiple people died (one fell off a truck, I think?). It's never the same group of people from day-to-day. It's been as large as 5,000 and has shrunk down below half of that.

So I don't know what hard number you think it is. But it is around "half" families (which I would characterize as women and children). That comes from the source YOU provided.
BrooksBearLives
Florda_mike said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Florda_mike said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Florda_mike said:

Geez

I love you too but don't care for T9 being used like the tool it is making colleges responsible for actions of students. Why can't you just charge students and be done there? Because that's not enough money for "victim"

You make livelihood off T9 and present yourself as know all

T9 just gave women 1:1 ratio with scholarships when I was in college and now T9 is another government mountain

I get tired of you because of that
You HAVE to revise your information. I do not "make my livelihood off of T9." That's not close to true. It is an area of study and expertise for me, yes. But it is not my only job.

It's like telling High School Football coach he makes his living off of running the football. No. He or she teaches a class. They manage other assistant coaches, run the team/program, make sure practices are organized and budgets are run properly. The run game is important, but it's not all they do.

You seem to have a mental block, at times. You don't know much about Title IX, but that's okay. Most people shouldn't. If you have to know much about it -and it's not part of your job- then it's because you've been affected. And that really sucks.

As for being a know-it-all, I don't know what to say. Sorry I'm smart? You used to coach track. You're a bit of a know-it-all there and I don't hold against you. Do you. I'm going to do me. You can keep up your vendetta, I guess. You seem to have the time. But I'm going to say that I don't really care about your judgments of me, what I do (or don't do) for a living, or how I find meaning in the world. Worry about the plank in your own eye.
BrooksBearLives
contrario said:

BrooksBearLives said:

riflebear said:

HuMcK said:

riflebear said:

Really?

Everyone who eats pickles are going to die. That's a fact.
Oldbear83
BrooksBearLives said:

contrario said:

BrooksBearLives said:

riflebear said:

HuMcK said:

riflebear said:

Really?

That could be taken as picklephobic, you know ...
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
BrooksBearLives
Oldbear83 said:

BrooksBearLives said:

contrario said:

BrooksBearLives said:

riflebear said:

HuMcK said:

riflebear said:

Really?

That could be taken as picklephobic, you know ...
Let me live my truth, goddammit
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.