President Trump just won with tariffs.

12,695 Views | 172 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by quash
Waco1947
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sam Lowry said:

So are we worried that these brutes won't be deployed, or that they will be? I'm losing track.
Deploy them but train them well. Not an easy task in a country with limited resources.
Sam Lowry
Waco1947 said:

Sam Lowry said:

So are we worried that these brutes won't be deployed, or that they will be? I'm losing track.
Deploy them but train them well. Not an easy task in a country with limited resources.
You might want to take that up with Obrador. A modern, sophisticated force was his promise, not Trump's.
BrooksBearLives
Sam Lowry said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Sam Lowry said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Sam Lowry said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Sam Lowry said:

BrooksBearLives said:

So, our President agreed to a deal where Mexico is sending "troops" from a National Guard that didn't exist before last Christmas, and you're claiming this as a win?

You deserve to be fooled.
They're arresting women and children traveling on foot. I don't think 30 months of Navy SEAL training is a prerequisite.

No one said it would take 30 months. But surely you realize it will take more than 6, right? It took over a year of planning for Nike to roll out our new uniform campaign.

You think creating an entire national guard infrastructure will go faster?

I mean, sure. Mexico is known for its efficient government and all...
Our national guard was founded in December of 1636 and was massacring Pequot Indians with marvelous efficiency the following May. It's really not that big a deal.

Are you REALLY comparing those two? Really? The soldiers brought their own guns and never had uniforms?

Also, guarantee it took more than 6 months to muster.

This is a really bad take.
Four months to the first muster, which is commemorated each April. Five months to the first major battle. Believe me, Mexico is not promising the impossible.

https://www.npr.org/2019/06/10/731385412/mexico-scrambles-to-establish-national-guard-after-promising-to-tighten-border

From an interview done yesterday.

CORNISH: Tell us more about the Mexican National Guard 'cause it was just announced a few weeks ago. What's going on there?

FREDRICK: So the National Guard is really the primary security policy of President Lopez Obrador, who is in his first year here. And basically he pitched the National Guard as a modern, sophisticated kind of hybrid military civilian force. This force would basically have police powers to arrest people. And then specifically talking about migration, it would be the only security force in Mexico that would have the authority on its own to arrest undocumented migrants. This is really all theoretical right now because President Lopez Obrador has talked a lot about it. But there is no active National Guard right now, and we're kind of waiting to see exactly when National Guard gets rolled out.

CORNISH: My next question was going to be whether these Guard members have been trained, but you're saying this force doesn't exist yet. So where are they going to come from?

FREDRICK: Well, so what we know so far is about 1,500 National Guard members are currently being trained. They're not fully trained yet. And this training question is really important because as President Lopez Obrador has pushed it, this is a modern force. It's going to be very respectful of human rights. He said Mexican police and army have had several scandals around human rights. And the feeling that they are trying to rush this out for migration enforcement really doesn't engender a lot of confidence that this is going to be the modern security force that can make Mexico safer.
So they're currently in training, and NPR is wringing its hands about human rights violations that haven't happened yet. Which one of these things is a surprise?

So are you going to admit you we're wrong, or what?
BrooksBearLives
Sam Lowry said:

Waco1947 said:

Sam Lowry said:

You might want to take that up with Obrador. A modern, sophisticated force was his promise, not Trump's.

Wait. Are we just going to brush over the fact that you just questioned whether a military force should bother being trained to be humanitarian?
BrooksBearLives
Sam Lowry said:

I stated they don't exist. There's literally only 1,500 (6,000 were promised) and they're still training.

You were the one who got cute citing the revolutionary army (as if that had dick to do with this).

I was literally right. There is no actual national guard. There are no ready troops. And 3/4 of the promised troops don't exist at ALL, in any form, right now.
Oldbear83
BrooksBearLives said:

Sam Lowry said:

I stated they don't exist. There's literally only 1,500 (6,000 were promised) and they're still training.

You were the one who got cute citing the revolutionary army (as if that had dick to do with this).

I was literally right. There is no actual national guard. There are no ready troops. And 3/4 of the promised troops don't exist at ALL, in any form, right now.
So these guys

"Migration officials detained 350 to 400 people, the official said, noting that federal police and agents from the National Guard were present. "

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/06/mexico-sends-troops-southern-border-migrant-deal-190612060417341.html

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-immigration-trump-mexico/mexico-meets-migrants-at-southern-border-with-armed-forces-idUSKCN1T62YC

don't really exist?
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
BrooksBearLives
Agents from.

The National Guard is the actual troop force. I have been 10000% clear on what I mean. There is 1,500 people training. But they aren't a force yet.

And 6,000 were promised (which is a lot less than the 1,500 training).

Just admit it. You were wrong.
Sam Lowry
You were literally not right. The deployment began this week, according to the Washington Post.

I'm not questioning the need for humanitarian training at all. It just has nothing to do with this conversation.
Oldbear83
BrooksBearLives said:

Agents from.

The National Guard is the actual troop force. I have been 10000% clear on what I mean. There is 1,500 people training. But they aren't a force yet.

You said they did not exist, then I provided a link citing actual agents involved in current border operations by Mexico, which started immediately following the agreement you said did not accomplish anything.

So no, you are wrong twice just in the last post.

Also, as a point of logic, using the claim "10000%" is hyperbole at best and tends only to confirm emotion in place of focus on actual facts.

Just something you might want to consider in future posts.
BrooksBearLives
Oldbear83 said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Agents from.

You said they did not exist, then I provided a link citing actual agents involved in current border operations by Mexico, which started immediately following the agreement you said did not accomplish anything.

Also, as a point of logic, using the claim "10000%" is hyperbole at best and tends only to confirm emotion in place of focus on actual facts.

Lol. You're saying the 6,000 troops that were promised exist?

Is that what you're saying? Because I said they don't.
BrooksBearLives
Does the 6,000 troops that were promised exist?

Yes or no?
Florda_mike
Sam Lowry said:

Idk but there's a ton of worry and fear on democrat side that they won't get their wish to destroy the USA via illegal aliens!

Hence loud perpetual Trump hate
Oldbear83
BrooksBearLives said:

Oldbear83 said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Agents from.

You said the National Guard did not exist. The Reuters report cited actual agents already in operation.

You said the agreement did not change anything, but the interdiction of caravans at the Mexico-Guatemala border is new.

Come on, you're arguing with Reuters and Al Jazeerah now.

BrooksBearLives
Oldbear83 said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Oldbear83 said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Agents from.

You said the National Guard did not exist. The Reuters report cited actual agents already in operation.

You said the agreement did not change anything, but the interdiction of caravans at the Mexico-Guatemala border is new.

So you're saying the National Guard that was promised exists?

6,000 troops were promised.

You're saying that exists?
Oldbear83
BrooksBearLives said:

Oldbear83 said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Oldbear83 said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Agents from.

The National Guard exists.

The exact number in service right now is known only to Mexico.

The agreement specifies six thousand such guardsmen will be committed to the Mexico-Guatemala border, where some kind of existing force is already working.

The agreement brought that about, because no such interdiction was happening prior to the agreement.
BrooksBearLives
Oldbear83 said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Oldbear83 said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Oldbear83 said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Agents from.

The agreement specifies six thousand such guardsmen will be committed to the Mexico-Guatemala border, where some kind of existing force is already working.

The agreement brought that about, because no such interdiction was happening prior to the agreement.

Go back to my original posts. I literally made the point that Trump was promised troops that didn't exist yet.

I was the one who told YOU that the National Guard was created in December. It is incredibly clear to any honest prevaricator that I was literally saying that the promised troops don't exist yet. You knew nothing of the topic before I mentioned it.

I've shown that all to be true.

And still, you argue in some strange, petty attempt to point score. The troops dont exist .

And in ANY case, this was all agreed to BEFORE Trump threatened tariffs and backed down. He does this all the time. Starts a fire. Puts it out. Claims success.
Oldbear83
BrooksBearLives said:

Oldbear83 said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Oldbear83 said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Oldbear83 said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Agents from.

Go back to my original posts. I literally made the point that Trump was promised troops that didn't exist yet.

I was the one who told YOU that the National Guard was created in December. It is incredibly clear to any honest prevaricator that I was literally saying that the promised troops don't exist yet. You knew nothing of the topic before I mentioned it.

And still, you argue in some strange, petty attempt to point score. The troops dont exist .

And in ANY case, this was all agreed to BEFORE Trump threatened tariffs and backed down. He does this all the time. Starts a fire. Puts it out. Claims success.
You are still playing games and ignoring the substance, BBL.

Some kind of military force was sent to the Mexico-Guatemalan order following signing of the agreement.

That's established.

Mexico has further committed, in writing, to deployment of six thousand troops to that same border to prevent further incursion.

Again, that's beyond dispute.

Both are the clear result of the recent negotiations between the US and Mexico.

Also beyond denial.

Keep playing games if you want, but this is a win for Trump, like it or not.
BrooksBearLives
Oldbear83 said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Oldbear83 said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Oldbear83 said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Oldbear83 said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Agents from.

Some kind of military force was sent to the Mexico-Guatemalan order following signing of the agreement.

That's established.

Mexico has further committed, in writing, to deployment of six thousand troops to that same border to prevent further incursion.

Also beyond denial.

YOU are ignoring the substance of my post. You're trying to point-score when what I said is demonstrably true. I get why you're changing the subject. I do. But you're still trying to change the subject because you know I was right.

I stated that the force doesn't exist yet. You stated it did. I literally have presented sources to back up my assertions that the troops didn't exist (less than a quarter of what is promised is being trained right now) and you have done nothing to show that wasn't true.

If you want to go back to talking about an agreement that Mexico made BEFORE Trump's tariff threats, that's fine. We can do that. But you're still missing the points I've made.

1. Trump got nothing of any substance new after the tariff threats. Certainly nothing on the scale worthy of the level of 25% tariff threats. That's demonstrably true.

2. The National Guard (6,000 troops) that was promised does not exist yet.

If you want to cede those, then I'm happy to move on. I think that's only fair. If you don't want to cede them, disprove them.
BrooksBearLives
Oldbear83 said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Oldbear83 said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Oldbear83 said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Oldbear83 said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Agents from.

That's established.

Also beyond denial.

It's an emotional win only for his supporters. But it's not based in fact. It's a "win" in the same way his name-calling is a "win."

It's an Aggie national championship. His supporters love to point at it on the side of the stadium, but no objective observers believe it counts.
Doc Holliday
BrooksBearLives said:

Oldbear83 said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Oldbear83 said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Oldbear83 said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Oldbear83 said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Agents from.

That's established.

Also beyond denial.

YOU are ignoring the substance of my post. You're trying to point-score when what I said is demonstrably true. I get why you're changing the subject. I do. But you're still trying to change the subject because you know I was right.

I stated that the force doesn't exist yet. You stated it did. I literally have presented sources to back up my assertions that the troops didn't exist (less than a quarter of what is promised is being trained right now) and you have done nothing to show that wasn't true.

If you want to go back to talking about an agreement that Mexico made BEFORE Trump's tariff threats, that's fine. We can do that. But you're still missing the points I've made.

1. Trump got nothing of any substance new after the tariff threats. Certainly nothing on the scale worthy of the level of 25% tariff threats. That's demonstrably true.

If you want to cede those, then I'm happy to move on. I think that's only fair. If you don't want to cede them, disprove them.
When exactly was Mexico going to act? Next month? Next December?

Here is part of the agreement:
After 45 days, the US government "determines at its discretion" that the results aren't enough, the document says, "the Government of Mexico will take all necessary steps under domestic law to bring the agreement into force."

Didn't the President force Mexico to act NOW?

At the end of the day, POTUS is getting better results and that's all that matters. Sorry you can't handle that.
BrooksBearLives
Doc Holliday said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Oldbear83 said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Oldbear83 said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Oldbear83 said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Oldbear83 said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Agents from.

That's established.

Also beyond denial.

When exactly was Mexico going to act? Next month? Next December?

Here is part of the agreement:
After 45 days, the US government "determines at its discretion" that the results aren't enough, the document says, "the Government of Mexico will take all necessary steps under domestic law to bring the agreement into force."

Didn't the President force Mexico to act NOW?

At the end of the day, POTUS is getting better results and that's all that matters. Sorry you can't handle that.
That's just a new statement. Are you even serious? Where was the need for tariff threat? Please listen to yourself.

Mexico essentially agreed to pay back a loan on the 30th, and Trump waved a gun at them on the 25th, and then is claiming success for them paying us back on time.

This is all nonsense.
redfish961
BrooksBearLives said:

contrario said:

contrario said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Sam Lowry said:

BrooksBearLives said:

So, our President agreed to a deal where Mexico is sending "troops" from a National Guard that didn't exist before last Christmas, and you're claiming this as a win?

They're arresting women and children traveling on foot. I don't think 30 months of Navy SEAL training is a prerequisite.

No one said it would take 30 months. But surely you realize it will take more than 6, right? It took over a year of planning for Nike to roll out our new uniform campaign.

I would get your point if Mexico didn't have an army at all, but it's not like they were starting from ground zero. Even the Washington Post is saying Mexico is sending its "new national guard" to the southern border this week. Are you ready to concede that you were wrong about Mexico not having a national guard, or are you going to argue against the reporting of the Washington Post as well?
BBL?

I'm really not making this up. As it is, these troops don't really exist. They're scrambling to get them there. The "National guard" is about as real as the Space Force.

This is a joke.

The National Guard that Trump is bragging about us 6,000 troops that haven deployed yet and won't for months.
I'm not sure how the Mexican military works, but I do know many well trained U.S servicemen join the National Guard or the Reserves after their active duty ends.

May be apples to oranges, but the U.S. would have no issue filling 6,000 spots and it wouldn't take anywhere close to 6 months.

The infrastructure may not be ready, but the already trained service members would be using the same system so it's nowhere near like starting from scratch.
BrooksBearLives
redfish961 said:

BrooksBearLives said:

contrario said:

contrario said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Sam Lowry said:

BrooksBearLives said:

I would get your point if Mexico didn't have an army at all, but it's not like they were starting from ground zero. Even the Washington Post is saying Mexico is sending its "new national guard" to the southern border this week. Are you ready to concede that you were wrong about Mexico not having a national guard, or are you going to argue against the reporting of the Washington Post as well?
BBL?

I'm really not making this up. As it is, these troops don't really exist. They're scrambling to get them there. The "National guard" is about as real as the Space Force.

This is a joke.

The National Guard that Trump is bragging about us 6,000 troops that haven deployed yet and won't for months.
I'm not sure how the Mexican military works, but I do know many well trained U.S servicemen join the National Guard or the Reserves after their active duty ends.

May be apples to oranges, but the U.S. would have no issue filling 6,000 spots and it wouldn't take anywhere close to 6 months.

The infrastructure may not be ready, but the already trained service members would be using the same system so it's nowhere near like starting from scratch.
That's a fair statement.

But the entire point of this Mexican National Guard -which was the brainchild of Obrador- was that this would be a new security force that would be half police/half military force, specifically created to be free of corruption and able to handle internal security issues. Specifically, things like the gas theft (it's been fascinating to read/hear about the PemEx gas theft issues he's been dealing with) and insane murder rates/cartels.

The specific point of the National Guard was to be new. Not saying there won't be trained soldiers/overlap. But it is supposed to be new. I've literally been reading about this stuff for months. That's why I made the points I made.
Waco1947
BBL "YOU are ignoring the substance of my post. You're trying to point-score when what I said is demonstrably true. I get why you're changing the subject. I do. But you're still trying to change the subject because you know I was right.

If you want to cede those, then I'm happy to move on. I think that's only fair. If you don't want to cede them, disprove them."
Truth ^^^^^^^^^ but sadly ob83 will not/ can not acknowledge truth
Oldbear83
I see Waco the fake pastor is still obsessed with me.

Dishonest and creepy, but that's Waco1947.
Florda_mike
Funny Waco and BBL found a way to disagree with each other
Waco1947
Waco1947 said:

BBL "YOU are ignoring the substance of my post. You're trying to point-score when what I said is demonstrably true. I get why you're changing the subject. I do. But you're still trying to change the subject because you know I was right.

If you want to cede those, then I'm happy to move on. I think that's only fair. If you don't want to cede them, disprove them."
I must have it a nerve. Way to go BBL
Oldbear83
Waco1947 said:

Waco1947 said:

I must have it a nerve. Way to go BBL
Waco1947, you have not hit a target you tried to hit in memory.

People have learned to ignore you, because you post the same things over and over again, but never respond to serious posts addressed to you.

BBL has made good points and shown some respect at times for people with whom he disagrees. You should pay attention to those posts, Waco.
Sam Lowry
BrooksBearLives said:

redfish961 said:

BrooksBearLives said:

contrario said:

contrario said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Sam Lowry said:

BrooksBearLives said:

BBL?

This is a joke.

That's a fair statement.

But the entire point of this Mexican National Guard -which was the brainchild of Obrador- was that this would be a new security force that would be half police/half military force, specifically created to be free of corruption and able to handle internal security issues. Specifically, things like the gas theft (it's been fascinating to read/hear about the PemEx gas theft issues he's been dealing with) and insane murder rates/cartels.

The specific point of the National Guard was to be new. Not saying there won't be trained soldiers/overlap. But it is supposed to be new. I've literally been reading about this stuff for months. That's why I made the points I made.
How weird. It's almost as if someone came along and suddenly got them to shift their priorities from internal security issues to emergency border control.
BrooksBearLives
Sam Lowry said:

BrooksBearLives said:

redfish961 said:

BrooksBearLives said:

contrario said:

contrario said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Sam Lowry said:

BrooksBearLives said:

BBL?

This is a joke.

That's a fair statement.

How weird. It's almost as if someone came along and suddenly got them to shift their priorities from internal security issues to emergency border control.

It's a token effort, though. And one they agreed to MONTHS AGO.

The big thing Trump wanted, was the safe 3rd Party country provision and Mexico told him to **** off.

Trump failed and he's claiming he won.
Sam Lowry
BrooksBearLives said:

Sam Lowry said:

BrooksBearLives said:

redfish961 said:

BrooksBearLives said:

contrario said:

contrario said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Sam Lowry said:

BrooksBearLives said:

BBL?

This is a joke.

That's a fair statement.

The big thing Trump wanted, was the safe 3rd Party country provision and Mexico told him to **** off.

It's far from a token effort, which is why it's become so controversial in Mexico. 6,000 troops is equivalent to the entire police force of several of the larger provinces.
BrooksBearLives
Sam Lowry said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Sam Lowry said:

BrooksBearLives said:

redfish961 said:

BrooksBearLives said:

contrario said:

contrario said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Sam Lowry said:

BrooksBearLives said:

BBL?

This is a joke.

That's a fair statement.

It's far from a token effort, which is why it's become so controversial in Mexico. 6,000 troops is equivalent to the entire police force of several of the larger provinces.

We can continue to argue that point. But what is beyond argument is that it WASNT the big thing Trump wanted. And it was agreed to months ago, prior to the Tariff threats.
Sam Lowry
BrooksBearLives said:

Sam Lowry said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Sam Lowry said:

BrooksBearLives said:

redfish961 said:

BrooksBearLives said:

contrario said:

contrario said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Sam Lowry said:

BrooksBearLives said:

BBL?

This is a joke.

That's a fair statement.

We can continue to argue that point. But what is beyond argument is that it WASNT the big thing Trump wanted. And it was agreed to months ago, prior to the Tariff threats.
The typical result of real negotiation is that neither side gets everything they want. And by Mexico's own account, it's simply not true that everything was decided months ago. The Remain in Mexico policy has been newly expanded, and the deployment of troops to the border has been newly prioritized.
Waco1947
https://tribunecontentagency.com/article/sheneman-drew-editorial-cartoon-color-20190611edshe-b-tif/
BrooksBearLives
Sam Lowry said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Sam Lowry said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Sam Lowry said:

BrooksBearLives said:

redfish961 said:

BrooksBearLives said:

contrario said:

contrario said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Sam Lowry said:

BrooksBearLives said:

BBL?

This is a joke.

That's a fair statement.

The typical result of real negotiation is that neither side gets everything they want. And by Mexico's own account, it's simply not true that everything was decided months ago. The Remain in Mexico policy has been newly expanded, and the deployment of troops to the border has been newly prioritized.

You're describing free breadsticks.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.