The myth of meritocracy

55,308 Views | 619 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Waco1947
ShooterTX
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BrooksBearLives said:

ShooterTX said:

Waco1947 said:

curtpenn said:

Waco1947 said:

Birth place and to whom matters. Not a one of us chose our parents or birthplace.
Your incessant victimhood wore quite thin a very long time ago. Pathetic, really.

I am not claiming victimhood. It is a damn fact. Who your parents and where you are born tremendously impacts your life.
I was born white in Waco. I am not a victim. I benefitted from my birth place, date and parents.
It is amazing how you turn something good (parents who made good choices) into something bad (priviledge). Why not advocate for more positive parenting and more solid choices?? Rather than advocate for punishing those who benefit from hard work and good choices.
Sick
But that's the point. This system doesn't reward good choices. When you're poor, many of your choices don't matter, good or bad. It's not enough to make good choices. You have to be lucky, too.

THAT'S WHAT WE THINK NEEDS TO CHANGE.

We've shown -again and again there are mountains of data to back this up- that it is becoming harder and harder to escape poverty. It's becoming harder and harder to escape the middle class. It's even becoming harder and harder to fail from the upper class to a lower class -regardless of how bad you are at life.

A lot of times, privilege comes down to how many second, third, fourth chances you get.

We are making the absolutely insane statement that being a good person, working hard, and working smart should pay off.

Why even try, if it won't pay off? THAT is how a society rots.

We are just saying hard work should pay off. And y'all are being nasty about it.

You have said over and over again, that people have not earned anything.

Now you are saying that you think hard work should pay off. Why can't you admit that hard work DID pay off? Why is it that you won't accept the hard work of past & current people as valid?? By what magic will you suddenly make hard work legitimate?

BrooksBearLives
ShooterTX said:

BrooksBearLives said:

ShooterTX said:

Waco1947 said:

curtpenn said:

Waco1947 said:

Birth place and to whom matters. Not a one of us chose our parents or birthplace.
Your incessant victimhood wore quite thin a very long time ago. Pathetic, really.

I am not claiming victimhood. It is a damn fact. Who your parents and where you are born tremendously impacts your life.
I was born white in Waco. I am not a victim. I benefitted from my birth place, date and parents.
It is amazing how you turn something good (parents who made good choices) into something bad (priviledge). Why not advocate for more positive parenting and more solid choices?? Rather than advocate for punishing those who benefit from hard work and good choices.
Sick
But that's the point. This system doesn't reward good choices. When you're poor, many of your choices don't matter, good or bad. It's not enough to make good choices. You have to be lucky, too.

We've shown -again and again there are mountains of data to back this up- that it is becoming harder and harder to escape poverty. It's becoming harder and harder to escape the middle class. It's even becoming harder and harder to fail from the upper class to a lower class -regardless of how bad you are at life.

A lot of times, privilege comes down to how many second, third, fourth chances you get.

We are making the absolutely insane statement that being a good person, working hard, and working smart should pay off.

We are just saying hard work should pay off. And y'all are being nasty about it.

Now you are saying that you think hard work should pay off. Why can't you admit that hard work DID pay off? Why is it that you won't accept the hard work of past & current people as valid?? By what magic will you suddenly make hard work legitimate?

You know, I think this is a fair question, even if you're taking statements out of context.

I was specifically speaking to one's lot in life. I sincerely think my personal lot in life is very largely a function of my privilege.

Literally every time I've worked hard, it has paid off.

But that is not the case for everyone. I've never been poor. I've never had money, but I've never wanted.

Having hard work pay off is a form of privilege in and of itself these days. I've gotten dozens of second chances. THAT is an indicator of privilege as well.

I've worked my ass off and it has always paid off. That is not the case for everyone. I believe it should be.
Oldbear83
Please cite a specific case of someone who worked their butt off, but it did not 'pay off' for them.

BrooksBearLives
Oldbear83 said:

Please cite a specific case of someone who worked their butt off, but it did not 'pay off' for them.

Really? You don't know anyone who has been ****ed over by life?

Really?

You're questioning that they exist?

Here's an article rife with examples and data.

https://www.salon.com/2018/12/26/the-real-world-of-the-working-poor-heres-what-politicians-all-ignore/
ShooterTX
BrooksBearLives said:

ShooterTX said:

BrooksBearLives said:

ShooterTX said:

Waco1947 said:

curtpenn said:

Waco1947 said:

Sick

You know, I think this is a fair question, even if you're taking statements out of context.

I was specifically speaking to one's lot in life. I sincerely think my personal lot in life is very largely a function of my privilege.

But that is not the case for everyone. I've never been poor. I've never had money, but I've never wanted.

Having hard work pay off is a form of privilege in and of itself these days. I've gotten dozens of second chances. THAT is an indicator of privilege as well.

I've worked my ass off and it has always paid off. That is not the case for everyone. I believe it should be.

So are you now going to retract your statement that people didn't earn anything?? Or are you saying that, even though you worked hard, you really didn't earn the rewards of that hard work?

BrooksBearLives
ShooterTX said:

BrooksBearLives said:

ShooterTX said:

BrooksBearLives said:

ShooterTX said:

Waco1947 said:

curtpenn said:

Waco1947 said:

Sick

So are you now going to retract your statement that people didn't earn anything?? Or are you saying that, even though you worked hard, you really didn't earn the rewards of that hard work?

No. I'm saying that my hard work has paid off because of my privilege.

My privilege allowed me to earn it.

I ran a marathon because I worked hard and didn't give up. But also, my legs work.

Did I do something to make my legs work that Stephen Hawking didn't? Did I EARN my legs working? Did he NOT earn working legs? Of course not. But I had a higher ceiling. Me taking advantage of it is on me. But me having the opportunity isn't always.

Doesn't mean my running a marathon isn't an achievement or result of really hard work.

How is this confusing to you?
BrooksBearLives
You know what? That's unfair of me to say. This isn't intuitive. It IS confusing.

I'm sorry if I offended you. I was being rude with that comment and I apologize.
Oldbear83
BrooksBearLives said:

Oldbear83 said:

Really?

https://www.salon.com/2018/12/26/the-real-world-of-the-working-poor-heres-what-politicians-all-ignore/
So you cannot name one specific person you personally know, who worked hard but did not get the benefit of it?

Please restrain yourself from posting biased propaganda. I could do the same, but I am trying to discuss this person to person, not caricature vs caricature.

D. C. Bear
BrooksBearLives said:

D. C. Bear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

D. C. Bear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

curtpenn said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Doc Holliday said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Doc Holliday said:

I'm perfectly fine with inequality.
I'm perfectly fine with extremely poor people existing.

Why shouldn't there be inequality?
No one is saying there shouldn't be inequality. That's a false argument you've been trying to make.

We're talking about a society that actually allows for people to reach their potential.

The system as it is right now is NOT a meritocracy. It takes A LOT more than hard work to get ahead now. You have to be lucky. You have to be perfect.

No one is saying that we should break everyone's legs. We're just stating that some people have legs that work and some people don't. And for those that don't, maybe build some ramps so they can get into the building if they are willing to try.

That is it.
It SHOULD take more than hard work to get ahead!

It takes SMART WORK.

Not everyone is smart. If you're born into a situation where you're not blessed, not smart, not good at life...you still don't deserve to get ahead.

The only people that deserve to get ahead are people who overcome extraordinary measures, sacrifice, work more than they should and grab life by the horns. Everyone else is too weak.

Only the weak are making your argument. Everyone has the full ability to become stronger. Not everyone has the same potential.

Getting ahead is a subjective term: what is your definition of getting ahead?

You are literally arguing for special treatment.

Scenario: Man declines going to college or learning skills. He decides to work a maximum of 20 hours a week at Mcdonalds because he thinks working more than that is too hard for him. He's extremely overweight and needs health insurance. Does he deserve a ramp? Does he deserve a handout?
I get you're really up your own ass about this borderline eugenics/classist mindset.

You're also insisting on misstating my points, which makes sense, because you are too far into your rant to admit that I'm right.

LMAO. "SMART WORK" vs "HARD WORK" is a distinction without a difference. You really believe you hit on some point, don't you? Goodness, it'd be adorable if you weren't so completely dismissive of the reality of the world.

I have showed you PROOF that the ability of people to change their economic status in this country is melting away. It's not theoretical. It's fact. It is becoming harder and harder to change your lot in life.

Our country was literally built on the backs of people who were willing to break their backs and work hard (smart, whatever) and do what needs to be done. Our middle class was built by our grandparents doing what was needed, going to war, coming back and working in a factory, or as a teacher, or as a pastor, and putting in all their effort, mind, body, soul into it.

That isn't enough. Your disgusting fake distinction of "smart" vs. "hard" just exposes your belief that you think rich people are smarter than poor people and therefore, more deserving. We ALL know that's not true. George Soros is incredibly wealthy. Guess you're willing to admit he's just a better human being than you are? You're not George Soros wealthy. Probably should just let him tell you what to do. Might makes right, correct?
A part of your problem is you fail to account for why it might be so that it may be harder to change one's lot in life. It doesn't take too much thought to observe a number of mega trends that have been in place for decades. Just off the top of my head: more women entering the workforce creating downward pressure on wages as the supply of labor increases; offshoring/global competition killing relatively higher paying jobs; the inevitable results of transitioning from agrarian, to industrial, to post industrial modes; the devaluing of college education that doesn't result in marketable/differentiating skills; the fiscal drag of the cost of said worthless college degrees (which are stupid expensive to a large extent because of stupid student loan policies; failure to really live frugally/responsibly in order to accumulate some sort of assets. I'm sure there are a great many more, but it's getting close to my bedtime. I'm an old fart, 64, but I still get up at 4:30 every weekday to keep plugging away hoping to add to at least a modicum of generational wealth for my kids and grandkids.

If you've never read any of his work, I commend to you the writings of Nassim Taleb, btw. He has a lot of insight into the impact of chance on both wealth and poverty. Short version, the uber successful often are the beneficiaries of a series of fortunate events that might, or might not really have much to do with their efforts. Similarly, there will always be poor people. I'm not doing him justice. You should check it out for yourself.

Thanks for the recommendation! Sincerely. I'll try and check it out. I don't get a whole lot of chances to read for fun these days, but I just added The Black Swan to my wish list.

I'm not saying we should never have poor. I do not think that's possible. I really am a believer in the market. I just think the market has no heart and should be tempered by regulation. Tempered.

I just think that we as a society are best served by striving to shape our system to reward merit. Actual merit. How many Nicola Tesla's have we lost because they were born where they had NO chance?

Right now, that's absolutely happening.
Not nearly as many as we lost because they were killed before they even had a chance to be born.

Whataboutism with a completely unrelated topic.

Good stuff.
When the topic is of society losing out on individual's contributions, it is absolutely related, as is the wasted lives from wars.
It's a weird flex to say we can't talk about poor kids walking around until we talk about ones that were never born.

Can't they both matter?
D. C. Bear
BrooksBearLives said:

D. C. Bear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

D. C. Bear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

curtpenn said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Doc Holliday said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Doc Holliday said:

I'm perfectly fine with inequality.
I'm perfectly fine with extremely poor people existing.

Why shouldn't there be inequality?
No one is saying there shouldn't be inequality. That's a false argument you've been trying to make.

We're talking about a society that actually allows for people to reach their potential.

The system as it is right now is NOT a meritocracy. It takes A LOT more than hard work to get ahead now. You have to be lucky. You have to be perfect.

No one is saying that we should break everyone's legs. We're just stating that some people have legs that work and some people don't. And for those that don't, maybe build some ramps so they can get into the building if they are willing to try.

That is it.
It SHOULD take more than hard work to get ahead!

It takes SMART WORK.

Not everyone is smart. If you're born into a situation where you're not blessed, not smart, not good at life...you still don't deserve to get ahead.

The only people that deserve to get ahead are people who overcome extraordinary measures, sacrifice, work more than they should and grab life by the horns. Everyone else is too weak.

Only the weak are making your argument. Everyone has the full ability to become stronger. Not everyone has the same potential.

Getting ahead is a subjective term: what is your definition of getting ahead?

You are literally arguing for special treatment.

Scenario: Man declines going to college or learning skills. He decides to work a maximum of 20 hours a week at Mcdonalds because he thinks working more than that is too hard for him. He's extremely overweight and needs health insurance. Does he deserve a ramp? Does he deserve a handout?
I get you're really up your own ass about this borderline eugenics/classist mindset.

You're also insisting on misstating my points, which makes sense, because you are too far into your rant to admit that I'm right.

LMAO. "SMART WORK" vs "HARD WORK" is a distinction without a difference. You really believe you hit on some point, don't you? Goodness, it'd be adorable if you weren't so completely dismissive of the reality of the world.

I have showed you PROOF that the ability of people to change their economic status in this country is melting away. It's not theoretical. It's fact. It is becoming harder and harder to change your lot in life.

Our country was literally built on the backs of people who were willing to break their backs and work hard (smart, whatever) and do what needs to be done. Our middle class was built by our grandparents doing what was needed, going to war, coming back and working in a factory, or as a teacher, or as a pastor, and putting in all their effort, mind, body, soul into it.

That isn't enough. Your disgusting fake distinction of "smart" vs. "hard" just exposes your belief that you think rich people are smarter than poor people and therefore, more deserving. We ALL know that's not true. George Soros is incredibly wealthy. Guess you're willing to admit he's just a better human being than you are? You're not George Soros wealthy. Probably should just let him tell you what to do. Might makes right, correct?
A part of your problem is you fail to account for why it might be so that it may be harder to change one's lot in life. It doesn't take too much thought to observe a number of mega trends that have been in place for decades. Just off the top of my head: more women entering the workforce creating downward pressure on wages as the supply of labor increases; offshoring/global competition killing relatively higher paying jobs; the inevitable results of transitioning from agrarian, to industrial, to post industrial modes; the devaluing of college education that doesn't result in marketable/differentiating skills; the fiscal drag of the cost of said worthless college degrees (which are stupid expensive to a large extent because of stupid student loan policies; failure to really live frugally/responsibly in order to accumulate some sort of assets. I'm sure there are a great many more, but it's getting close to my bedtime. I'm an old fart, 64, but I still get up at 4:30 every weekday to keep plugging away hoping to add to at least a modicum of generational wealth for my kids and grandkids.

If you've never read any of his work, I commend to you the writings of Nassim Taleb, btw. He has a lot of insight into the impact of chance on both wealth and poverty. Short version, the uber successful often are the beneficiaries of a series of fortunate events that might, or might not really have much to do with their efforts. Similarly, there will always be poor people. I'm not doing him justice. You should check it out for yourself.

Thanks for the recommendation! Sincerely. I'll try and check it out. I don't get a whole lot of chances to read for fun these days, but I just added The Black Swan to my wish list.

I'm not saying we should never have poor. I do not think that's possible. I really am a believer in the market. I just think the market has no heart and should be tempered by regulation. Tempered.

I just think that we as a society are best served by striving to shape our system to reward merit. Actual merit. How many Nicola Tesla's have we lost because they were born where they had NO chance?

Right now, that's absolutely happening.
Not nearly as many as we lost because they were killed before they even had a chance to be born.

Whataboutism with a completely unrelated topic.

Good stuff.
When the topic is of society losing out on individual's contributions, it is absolutely related, as is the wasted lives from wars.
It's a weird flex to say we can't talk about poor kids walking around until we talk about ones that were never born.

Can't they both matter?

Who said they can't both matter?
Doc Holliday
Here's the problem BBL.

Privilege, hard work, poor, rich...all those things are subjective.

To someone in Africa, our poorest look filthy rich. To the rich in the US, our middle class looks poor.

Can you set a baseline of what everyone should have in the U.S. and why they deserve it?

When you lefties say 'livable wage"...is that basic survival and food? Is that home ownership?

Can you also define what baseline level of being a productive member of society warrants for an individual?
Is the 600lb 35 year old living in his mom's basement refusing to work, learn, go to school or do anything productive, someone who should be a recipient of welfare?

ShooterTX
BrooksBearLives said:

ShooterTX said:

BrooksBearLives said:

ShooterTX said:

BrooksBearLives said:

ShooterTX said:

Waco1947 said:

curtpenn said:

Waco1947 said:

Sick

I ran a marathon because I worked hard and didn't give up. But also, my legs work.

Did I do something to make my legs work that Stephen Hawking didn't? Did I EARN my legs working? Did he NOT earn working legs? Of course not. But I had a higher ceiling. Me taking advantage of it is on me. But me having the opportunity isn't always.

Doesn't mean my running a marathon isn't an achievement or result of really hard work.

This is so sad. You still can't accept that you achieved anything. Somehow you were the recipient of some unfair system, which negates all your hard work. You truly are destined for a life of mediocrity, at best. Even your marathon is no achievement, because you have able body privilege. "Did I EARN my legs working?" - No. What you earned was the rewards of using your legs, when others chose not to do so. You earned the victory of finishing the marathon. If you can't even see that, then you are truly lost.
Let's take it another step. If you have children, then they will grow up in a house with a parent who exercises. Studys show that kids in such an environment grow up with a higher likelihood to exercise as adults. They have a lower risk for heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, etc. Did your kids "earn" that? No. Did you "earn" it for them? Hell yes! They are the beneficiaries of your hard work and your tough choices. And the same is true for financial hard work and tough choices.

You keep using your legs and Stephen Hawking. That is really, really stupid. There is nothing anyone could ever do, to make Hawking run a marathon... especially now that he is dead. But let's pretend that he is still alive for a moment. What policy changes would you suggest to make it possible for Hawking to run a marathon?
He is a great example of hard work and overcoming obstacles.... not a good example for your argument at all. He had a genuine disability, but he was able to achieve a lot with his life. He didn't do it by somehow insisting that everyone make adjustments so he could become a great track athlete. He did it with his mind, not his legs. You keep focusing on what he couldn't do, while the rest of us appreciate what he did do. Hawking used hard work and tough choices to achieve a great deal of success. Do you want to claim that he didn't earn it because he had white privilege? Or British privilege? Or straight privilege? Or wheelchair privilege?

At what point do you stop making excuses for other peoples success and your own lack thereof? At what point do you start taking responsibility for your own actions? Yes, sometimes you can work hard and lose. Only a true fool goes through life working hard and losing every time. Are you going to say there is such a thing as wisdom privilege? Is it unfair that some people learn from loss and others never do?

BrooksBearLives
Oldbear83 said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Oldbear83 said:

Really?

So you cannot name one specific person you personally know, who worked hard but did not get the benefit of it?

Please restrain yourself from posting biased propaganda. I could do the same, but I am trying to discuss this person to person, not caricature vs caricature.

Biased propaganda. LOL. Interesting excuse to avoid learning something.

I personally know people who have worked hard.

My Aunt raised seven children after my Uncle died. They both did everything right. But if they didn't have family to help them....

My grandmother died with literally nothing but some land to her name. My parents and even I, was sending her money. She worked until she was 75 years old. She gave to her church. She would feed others before herself. She worked her ass off her entire life. I never heard her even curse.

She died without a penny to her name.

Let me just say this. I think it says a lot about you that you can't name a single person who has earned a better life than they got. And I truly feel sorry for you.
BrooksBearLives
Doc Holliday said:

Here's the problem BBL.

To someone in Africa, our poorest look filthy rich. To the rich in the US, our middle class looks poor.

Can you set a baseline of what everyone should have in the U.S. and why they deserve it?

When you lefties say 'livable wage"...is that basic survival and food? Is that home ownership?

Can you also define what baseline level of being a productive member of society warrants for an individual?
Is the 600lb 35 year old living in his mom's basement refusing to work, learn, go to school or do anything productive, someone who should be a recipient of welfare?

Wait, because they don't live in Africa, people can't claim to be poor?

I personally know women who we would have to watch to make sure they weren't only buying cat food, because we know they would take it home and eat it (because they couldn't afford otherwise).

I think you need some real perspective on how the world really works.
Doc Holliday
BrooksBearLives said:

Doc Holliday said:

Here's the problem BBL.

I personally know women who we would have to watch to make sure they weren't only buying cat food, because we know they would take it home and eat it (because they couldn't afford otherwise).

Dude just answer the questions. You respond with emotional takes.

I need some numbers.
BrooksBearLives
ShooterTX said:

BrooksBearLives said:

ShooterTX said:

BrooksBearLives said:

ShooterTX said:

BrooksBearLives said:

ShooterTX said:

Waco1947 said:

curtpenn said:

Waco1947 said:

Sick

This is so sad. You still can't accept that you achieved anything. Somehow you were the recipient of some unfair system, which negates all your hard work. You truly are destined for a life of mediocrity, at best. Even your marathon is no achievement, because you have able body privilege. "Did I EARN my legs working?" - No. What you earned was the rewards of using your legs, when others chose not to do so. You earned the victory of finishing the marathon. If you can't even see that, then you are truly lost.
Let's take it another step. If you have children, then they will grow up in a house with a parent who exercises. Studys show that kids in such an environment grow up with a higher likelihood to exercise as adults. They have a lower risk for heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, etc. Did your kids "earn" that? No. Did you "earn" it for them? Hell yes! They are the beneficiaries of your hard work and your tough choices. And the same is true for financial hard work and tough choices.

You keep using your legs and Stephen Hawking. That is really, really stupid. There is nothing anyone could ever do, to make Hawking run a marathon... especially now that he is dead. But let's pretend that he is still alive for a moment. What policy changes would you suggest to make it possible for Hawking to run a marathon?
He is a great example of hard work and overcoming obstacles.... not a good example for your argument at all. He had a genuine disability, but he was able to achieve a lot with his life. He didn't do it by somehow insisting that everyone make adjustments so he could become a great track athlete. He did it with his mind, not his legs. You keep focusing on what he couldn't do, while the rest of us appreciate what he did do. Hawking used hard work and tough choices to achieve a great deal of success. Do you want to claim that he didn't earn it because he had white privilege? Or British privilege? Or straight privilege? Or wheelchair privilege?

At what point do you stop making excuses for other peoples success and your own lack thereof? At what point do you start taking responsibility for your own actions? Yes, sometimes you can work hard and lose. Only a true fool goes through life working hard and losing every time. Are you going to say there is such a thing as wisdom privilege? Is it unfair that some people learn from loss and others never do?

You're not listening.

Of course I've acheived things! I was a National Merit Scholar. I've won outstanding staff member from my institution multiple times. I've won system-wide teamwork awards. I've accomplished SO much. I have two degrees and am working on my third. I have a perfect GPA.

But I was only able to accomplish them because I have been given so much. I didn't earn my natural intelligence or my natural curiosity about the world, or my obsessive nature that makes me read until 2am eveyr night. I also didn't earn the ability to go off of 4-5 hours of sleep. Those were things that I was given.

I'm trying to do the most with my gifts. That is absolutely on me. But I'm absolutely insane if I think that any of that happens without blessings I have enjoyed.

How can you agree with that?
BrooksBearLives
Doc Holliday said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Doc Holliday said:

Here's the problem BBL.

I need some numbers.
Have you answered any of my questions?

I haven't said anywhere that people deserve anything. I have said again and again what I think. As soon as I make a point, you ignore it and move on.

I have listed multiple things. Primarily, everyone should have a right to a good and free education. I think basic college(or trade/technical schools/apprenticeships) should be free. I think we should have a Universal pre-K program.

I think daycare should be subsidized or free for poor parents who want to work or go back to school.

I think SNAP and CHIP should be expanded and strengthened.

I don't think everyone should get a free home. But I do think that safe housing should be a basic right as healthcare should be as well.
Oldbear83
BBL: "Biased propaganda. LOL. Interesting excuse to avoid learning something."

No Brooks, I was reminding you that we can throw competing sin at each other or have a real conversation.

Your reply, unfortunately, confirms you want the first.

As for "can't name a single person who has earned a better life than they got", you managed to be dishonest, insulting and twist what I I said into something I did not say all in one move.

You should be ashamed for that, but somehow I think you missed the moral implications of such behavior.
Doc Holliday
BrooksBearLives said:

Doc Holliday said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Doc Holliday said:

Here's the problem BBL.

I need some numbers.
Yes.
Oldbear83
"I think you need some real perspective on how the world really works."

I have traveled around the world and the US. I have a pretty good idea, in both structural and personal terms, of how things work. Many here have excellent experience and intelligence.

Condescension is a poor way to win people over to your way of thinking, BBL.

BrooksBearLives
Oldbear83 said:

I have traveled around the world and the US. I have a pretty good idea, in both structural and personal terms, of how things work. Many here have excellent experience and intelligence.

Says the guy who can't name a poor person and wouldn't believe it when I gave him exactly what he asked for.

Put me back on ignore. My life was better when you didn't show off your ignorance directly to me.
Osodecentx
BrooksBearLives said:

Of course I've acheived things! I was a National Merit Scholar. I've won outstanding staff member from my institution multiple times. I've won system-wide teamwork awards. I've accomplished SO much. I have two degrees and am working on my third. I have a perfect GPA.

But I was only able to accomplish them because I have been given so much. I didn't earn my natural intelligence or my natural curiosity about the world, or my obsessive nature that makes me read until 2am eveyr night. I also didn't earn the ability to go off of 4-5 hours of sleep. Those were things that I was given.
What should we take from you to even things out? Should we take from you and give to someone with an IQ of 80? How much do we take?

Your solutions have been general. I'd like to know specifics e.g. give everyone a good education, everyone love everybody, and do the right thing is a difficult program to institute without specifics.
curtpenn
BrooksBearLives said:

Doc Holliday said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Doc Holliday said:

Here's the problem BBL.

I need some numbers.

I haven't said anywhere that people deserve anything. I have said again and again what I think. As soon as I make a point, you ignore it and move on.

I have listed multiple things. Primarily, everyone should have a right to a good and free education. I think basic college(or trade/technical schools/apprenticeships) should be free. I think we should have a Universal pre-K program.

I think daycare should be subsidized or free for poor parents who want to work or go back to school.

I don't think everyone should get a free home. But I do think that safe housing should be a basic right as healthcare should be as well.
Couple of thoughts: probably one of the biggest problems I have with your assertions is that I totally repudiate and utterly deny your concept of "privilege"; we are just never going to agree on this - never. Nevertheless, I think we can all think of examples where hard work didn't really pay off in some sense, and can acknowledge that life can be very hard for some people. The disconnect comes when we attempt to arrive at some presumed "solutions". I have zero faith in any sort of centralized government mandated/funded programs actually accomplishing their intended results. There's just too much complexity/randomness inherent in the human condition, too much corruption, too much incompetence, too little real incentive, ad nauseam. Simple top-of-mind-example - guaranteed student loans leading to exploding tuition and too many unnecessary/useless degrees and horrible indebtedness.

Ultimately, I believe that it would be nice if many of the outcomes you espouse would be achievable. I just don't think you can get there from here without rendering all of us neo-serfs under the boot heel of a fascist collective, with the ultimate result that we are all losers. The alternative is to accept real world limitations and to attempt to prioritize the possible. I can't speak for you, but I am not willing to give up any more of our personal income than we already are in order to fund someone else's lives.
Doc Holliday
curtpenn said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Doc Holliday said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Doc Holliday said:

Here's the problem BBL.

I need some numbers.

Couple of thoughts: probably one of the biggest problems I have with your assertions is that I totally repudiate and utterly deny your concept of "privilege"; we are just never going to agree on this - never. Nevertheless, I think we can all think of examples where hard work didn't really pay off in some sense, and can acknowledge that life can be very hard for some people. The disconnect comes when we attempt to arrive at some presumed "solutions". I have zero faith in any sort of centralized government mandated/funded programs actually accomplishing their intended results. There's just too much complexity/randomness inherent in the human condition, too much corruption, too much incompetence, too little real incentive, ad nauseam. Simple top-of-mind-example - guaranteed student loans leading to exploding tuition and too many unnecessary/useless degrees and horrible indebtedness.

Ultimately, I believe that it would be nice if many of the outcomes you espouse would be achievable. I just don't think you can get there from here without rendering all of us neo-serfs under the boot heel of a fascist collective, with the ultimate result that we are all losers. The alternative is to accept real world limitations and to attempt to prioritize the possible. I can't speak for you, but I am not willing to give up any more of our personal income than we already are in order to fund someone else's lives.
Well said
Oldbear83
BBL got one thing (and one thing only) right:

He should be ignored.
BrooksBearLives
curtpenn said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Doc Holliday said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Doc Holliday said:

Here's the problem BBL.

I need some numbers.

So you don't think privilege exists?

You don't think your life was easier because your legs work?
BrooksBearLives
Oldbear83 said:

BBL got one thing (and one thing only) right:

He should be ignored.

I'm just worried my disruptive influence on your worldview is just too much for your little heart to handle.

Hate to cause you any headaches from thinking.
curtpenn
BrooksBearLives said:

curtpenn said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Doc Holliday said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Doc Holliday said:

Here's the problem BBL.

I need some numbers.

It might prove beneficial to move past banalities and semantic folderol and suggest actual policies that you believe would lead to your desired outcomes. Then, we might be able to have a fruitful conversation about the merits of your proposals. This is much the same thing as talking about climate change. I agree that climate changes; tell me what you want to do about that and we can discuss whether or not those might be worthwhile proposals. Everything else is just noise and intentionally divisive to advance a leftist agenda in a very simple will-to-power sort of thing, in my opinion.
bearassnekkid
Oldbear83 said:

Smarmy condescension is his only form of communication. It's ridiculous. He also likes to personally attack people and then cry and run away when someone comes back at him. Not a great strategy for being taken seriously.
90sBear
BrooksBearLives said:

curtpenn said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Doc Holliday said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Doc Holliday said:

Here's the problem BBL.

I need some numbers.

Privilege: a special right, advantage, or immunity granted or available only to a particular person or group.

Having functioning legs does not meet the definition of "privilege".
bearassnekkid
BrooksBearLives said:

ShooterTX said:

BrooksBearLives said:

ShooterTX said:

BrooksBearLives said:

ShooterTX said:

Waco1947 said:

curtpenn said:

Waco1947 said:

Sick

You know what . . . you're right. You've made a fantastic and brilliant point. I think you should cut off one of your legs and give it to Stephen Hawking. Oh, right, he's dead. Ok someone else like him. No, wait, I mean the government should come seize your legs against your wishes and give them to someone else. Right, BBL? I mean, you didn't "earn" them. You were born with the privilege. Even the playing field and all that. Give someone a "leg up."
BrooksBearLives
curtpenn said:

BrooksBearLives said:

curtpenn said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Doc Holliday said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Doc Holliday said:

Here's the problem BBL.

I need some numbers.

It might prove beneficial to move past banalities and semantic folderol and suggest actual policies that you believe would lead to your desired outcomes. Then, we might be able to have a fruitful conversation about the merits of your proposals. This is much the same thing as talking about climate change. I agree that climate changes; tell me what you want to do about that and we can discuss whether or not those might be worthwhile proposals. Everything else is just noise and intentionally divisive to advance a leftist agenda in a very simple will-to-power sort of thing, in my opinion.

Don't dismiss a concept out of hand and then insist on specifics.

If you're going to say there's no way you'll ever consider a concept -which is surprisingly close-minded of you given your reading recommendations- then you don't really get to insist on only talking about your comfort zone.

This is a message board and I asked a fair question. Engage or don't. But dialog works a certain way.
BrooksBearLives
bearassnekkid said:

BrooksBearLives said:

ShooterTX said:

BrooksBearLives said:

ShooterTX said:

BrooksBearLives said:

ShooterTX said:

Waco1947 said:

curtpenn said:

Waco1947 said:

Sick

You know what . . . you're right. You've made a fantastic and brilliant point. I think you should cut off one of your legs and give it to Stephen Hawking. Oh, right, he's dead. Ok someone else like him. No, wait, I mean the government should come seize your legs against your wishes and give them to someone else. Right, BBL? I mean, you didn't "earn" them. You were born with the privilege. Even the playing field and all that. Give someone a "leg up."

Lol. No one is saying that but you.

Glad you're back, buddy. I've missed you.
BrooksBearLives
90sBear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

curtpenn said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Doc Holliday said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Doc Holliday said:

Here's the problem BBL.

I need some numbers.

Privilege: a special right, advantage, or immunity granted or available only to a particular person or group.

It literally does. Ableism. Look it up.

Take your ability to walk for granted, I guess.
90sBear
BrooksBearLives said:

90sBear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

curtpenn said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Doc Holliday said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Doc Holliday said:

Here's the problem BBL.

I need some numbers.

It literally does. Ableism. Look it up.

Take your ability to walk for granted, I guess.
I just quoted you the definition of privilege. Given that over 99% of the world's population was born with functioning legs - it literally does not meet the definition.

I can both appreciate my ability to walk and also recognize that it is not, by definition, a privilege available to only a particular group.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.