The Census question

22,592 Views | 218 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by riflebear
BrooksBearLives
How long do you want to ignore this user?
curtpenn said:

BrooksBearLives said:

bearassnekkid said:

BrooksBearLives said:

bearassnekkid said:

BrooksBearLives said:

GrowlTowel said:

BrooksBearLives said:

You guys DO know that there is proof the question is put in place specifically to get FEWER people counted, right?

There's literally proof.

And now the President is trying to cover it up in plain sight.

Y'all are okay with that?

Absolutely. Why count illegals in the first place? They don't respect our laws. Citizenship should mean something.

The forms should also only be printed in English only.

There is simply no reason to pander to California and New York.

Also, you say they don't respect our laws, but they're much less likely to disobey them. Study after study has confirmed this.
Uhhhh, they have disobeyed them by merely being here. You forget about that part?

Answer me a simple question: Do you agree or disagree that the Left champions illegal immigration because it knows illegals greatly affect the apportionment of seats in Congress?

I'll be interested to see if you're capable of honesty here. We all know this is at the root of the census question, so what say you?
Jeez. We've been over this.

1. seeking asylum isn't against the law.

2. jumping the border is a misdemeanor. If you've ever gotten a speeding ticket, you're about as much a "criminal" as they are.

Here's the answer to your question: I am on the left. I couldn't give TWO ****S about how migrants affect elections. They aren't citizens. They don't vote. I sincerely don't care about how they affect congressional allotment. Honestly, if they aren't voting, then that should be a boon to Texas Republicans, but I digress.

Migration is good for society. It literally always has been. Immigrants on average are technically better citizens than most citizens. They work their asses off doing work no one else wants to do. They tend to be more family-oriented and community-oriented. They want more for their families, and they are brave as heck. That's what American needs. That is literally what has always made our country great. We are a literal nation of immigrants.

So, no. I'm being completely honest. I don't know a single liberal who has ever factored migrants into the math of congressional allotment. I'm being absolutely sincere.

My advocacy of migrants comes from my Christian belief from the dozens of times the Son of God exhorted all his true followers to care for the alien, love their neighbor, and give them the cloaks off our backs.

The root of the census question -for me- is 100% about honesty. Article 1, section 2 of the Constitution states:
Quote:

Representatives and direct Taxes shall be apportioned among the several States which may be included within this Union, according to their respective Numbers, which shall be determined by adding to the whole Number of free Persons, including those bound to Service for a Term of Years, and excluding Indians not taxed, three fifths of all other Persons. The actual Enumeration shall be made within three Years after the first Meeting of the Congress of the United States, and within every subsequent Term of ten Years, in such Manner as they shall by Law direct.
It said to count ALL persons. The intention of the founding fathers is crystal clear. This question is clearly meant to subvert that. There are receipts of this. We have a cabinet secretary lying to congress.

THAT is my problem.
First, for the love of everything holy, PLEASE stop using the uber lame excuse of "asylum." It is an outright lie, everyone knows it, and it makes you and anyone else who uses it look like a complete IDIOT to any sane people trying to discuss this topic. I am embarrassed for anyone who keeps trying play this moronic card and expects anyone to take them seriously. You know it, I know it, and everyone else knows that "asylum" is not why people are entering our country ILLEGALLY. Just stop. It insults us both.

People aren't streaming over our borders illegally to escape tyranny and government oppression. They're coming here to avail themselves of a booming economy, good schools, good hospitals, and all the other great things about America. There is a system in place for anyone who wants to come be a citizen of the USA. I am totally fine with any person who wants to come here and become an American, and does so in a legal fashion. I'm not ok with people sneaking in. I have NO idea why in the world you apparently are. It is mind boggling.

Second, I am fine with counting ALL people, including those who have come here illegally. The constitution says to count all people, so great, let's do it. I'd also like to know which people are citizens and which ones aren't. The constitution doesn't say we aren't allowed to know that. I have no idea why you wouldn't want to know that, other than the reason you are feigning denial of. So give me another one. Why don't you care about people coming here illegally?

Asylum is NOT a lie.

Clearly you've never talked to a refugee or immigrant. They are literally running away from true terror.

I have come to expect just utter callousness from you. To the weak and downtrodden and less fortunate. I am constantly telling myself "this dude is a Christian, right?"

You trade in willful ignorance and outright lies about who these people are. Maybe that's how you rationalize it to yourself. I don't know. But they are lies.

These immigrants/migrants pay almost the same taxes you and I pay. They pay property taxes. Sales taxes. Most of the time they even pay payroll taxes, social security, etc through the use of a fake SS#. They're helping keep it afloat and will never see a dime of it. https://www.marketplace.org/2019/01/28/undocumented-immigrants-quietly-pay-billions-social-security-and-receive-no/

They're less likely to commit any crime, especially violent crime.
https://reason.com/2018/05/10/undocumented-immigrants-make-us-safer/

But you don't REALLY care about the facts of those issues. You just have a weird obsession with picking on those beneath you.

We need immigrants right now. We need them so badly. Our economy will grind to a halt without them. We need more Americans. We need brave, entrepreneurial souls. And someone willing to walk thousands of miles across deserts, for the chance of being free deserves that freedom more than two fat white men arguing on a message board.

And spare me the utter lie about how you "just want to know how many citizens there are." You're full of it.

Anyone who has ever had to run a report, knows that if the report is giving you bad numbers, it's worthless. And if you're willing to submit numbers you KNOW aren't right, then you deserve to be fired.

Asking the citizenship question will result in fewer citizens AND immigrants being counted. That's a fact. Because many households are mixed status. Most, supposedly. You'd be throwing the baby out with the bath water.

But the babies are brown, so you don't care as much.
Mostly your typical argument by assertion, but whatever...

"Migration is good for society. It literally always has been. Immigrants on average are technically better citizens than most citizens. They work their asses off doing work no one else wants to do. They tend to be more family-oriented and community-oriented. They want more for their families, and they are brave as heck. That's what American needs. That is literally what has always made our country great. We are a literal nation of immigrants."

You put up a couple of links and I guess you're all good/all knowing. So much fault to find with your assertions, but I understand it's a waste of time and energy. Here's a simple hypothetical - let's suppose an overabundance of cheap labor thanks to unfettered illegal immigration; what happens to wages for unskilled workers who are here legally?
1. thanks for openly admitting you didn't read any of the links or sources I've provided. It's a good thing books have covers, or else you'd have to read them before making a judgement.

2. We actually know about this (your question) because it has happened before. I'll side-step the fact that you're conflating a few things (asylum vs seasonal workers) and also implying I'm for "unfettered illegal immigration" which I am not at all saying.
2a. Immigration through our southern border has been a function of how well our economy is doing vs others. When ours is strong and others are weak, we get more immigration. Because people want to be part of the American Dream -something our society used to honor in people. When our economy has struggled, immigration has been depressed.

2b. the premise of your question, that an "overabundance of cheap labor.... affects unskilled workers here legally" is a bit off. Immigrants make up around 17% of the labor force, but there is almost no evidence to suggest they overlap with non-immigrant workforces.

Quote:

""Most economists agree that in spite of being a very big part of the labor force, immigrants have not come at the cost either of American jobs, nor of American wages," Peri, the UC Davis professor, said.

The reason is that immigrants often have jobs that Americans tend not to take. So instead of competing with Americans' for work, immigrants tend to complement American workers.

On a farm, for example, owners, managers and salespeople are often born in America. Immigrants tend to work as field hands. Neither group could do their job without the other.

Immigrants who work as child care providers give Americans, specifically women, more opportunity to join the labor force. And immigrants are playing an increasingly critical role in taking care of the elderly as baby boomers retire. Census data shows that immigrants accounted for 24 percent of nursing, psychiatric and home care aides in 2015.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/economy/making-sense/4-myths-about-how-immigrants-affect-the-u-s-economy

The article above is actually pretty informative on this topic.

But to answer your question, actual experts on this state that immigration actually tends to mirror the market. Immigrants come when there are jobs for them and are less likely to come when there aren't.

That's a different issue than asylum (which is legal and real, regardless of what some would say).
BrooksBearLives
bearassnekkid said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Asylum is a lie.... because you say it is?

You wanting so desperately to believe it is doesn't make it so.

Let's see just how disingenuous you are. What percentage of illegal aliens crossing our border do you believe are political refugees? This should determine whether any of us feel the need to listen to you anymore.

Also, smart move on your part failing to address points 2-10 in my post.
Oh the part where you were crying, whining about your feelings on things I didn't say? Yeah. I rolled my eyes and moved on.

Congratulations on your new addition though. I sincerely mean that. I've felt called to foster/adopt for a very long time, but am having trouble getting my wife on board with it.
Florda_mike
BrooksBearLives said:

bearassnekkid said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Let's see just how disingenuous you are. What percentage of illegal aliens crossing our border do you believe are political refugees? This should determine whether any of us feel the need to listen to you anymore.

Oh the part where you were crying, whining about your feelings on things I didn't say? Yeah. I rolled my eyes and moved on.

Congratulations on your new addition though. I sincerely mean that. I've felt called to foster/adopt for a very long time, but am having trouble getting my wife on board with it.

^^^ Obviously it's not from a lack of trying
GoneGirl
BrooksBearLives said:

bearassnekkid said:

BrooksBearLives said:

BBL, I think fostering/adopting is something you either are called to do or you aren't. And even people who are called to do it sometimes have disasterous results. I work with a couple who adopted a "kid" at 21 and helped put him through college. They had one biological child of their own, already finished with college. That experience was a huge success, so they tried it a second time. The girl they adopted, hoping to provide family support, proved to have intractable problems. It got so bad they ended up having to end the relationship and file a restraining order.

I don't think they regretted either experience; they were called to try and did their best, and they have made a huge difference in a young man's life. Their adopted son now runs a local nonprofit that operates an apartment complex for foster kids aging out of care and helps them transition to adulthood.

But both parents have to be completely on board.
BrooksBearLives
Jinx 2 said:

BrooksBearLives said:

bearassnekkid said:

BrooksBearLives said:

BBL, I think fostering/adopting is something you either are called to do or you aren't. And even people who are called to do it sometimes have disasterous results. I work with a couple who adopted a "kid" at 21 and helped put him through college. They had one biological child of their own, already finished with college. That experience was a huge success, so they tried it a second time. The girl they adopted, hoping to provide family support, proved to have intractable problems. It got so bad they ended up having to end the relationship and file a restraining order.

I don't think they regretted either experience; they were called to try and did their best, and they have made a huge difference in a young man's life. Their adopted son now runs a local nonprofit that operates an apartment complex for foster kids aging out of care and helps them transition to adulthood.

OH I agree completely. We have dear friends who had disastrous results as well. Went to Romania, adopted through Catholic Charities, ended up having to put locks on all their bedroom doors for their own protection. They had CPS basically say that they could be written up for leaving their adopted child in the home along with their two birth children. It broke everyone's hearts. I cannot even imagine.

I 1000% agree. And I can't even bring it up until I'm done with this PhD either. I just feel I have been given so much, and we have so much love to give. I just really feel called. But my wife has to be completely on board. Absolutely.
bearassnekkid
BrooksBearLives said:

bearassnekkid said:

BrooksBearLives said:

LOL, you are such an insufferable *ussy. You know other people can read this, right? Everyone can see that I didn't whine or cry in any of the points 2-10. You literally made that up out of thin air.

As usual, when you get your ass handed to you, you just retreat or disregard entirely.

If it's too much for you to engage, fine, but at least grow a sack and answer what percentage of the illegals streaming across our border you think are political refugees. You're the one hanging your hat on "asylum", so what percentage do you think that applies to?
Malbec
Don't you know that every person from every other country in the world wants "asylum" in the U.S.? That's why Dems want the U.S. to be like any other country except the U.S. Maybe they have the cure for illegal immigration. Make it so nobody will want to come here any more. It's freaking genius man!
riflebear
Ludwig von Missi
riflebear said:

I am sure there are plenty of persuasive arguments for strengthening border security out there, but I'm not sure a meme of a TSA officer feeling up grandma does the trick.
contrario
Crash Davis said:

riflebear said:

I am sure there are plenty of persuasive arguments for strengthening border security out there, but I'm not sure a meme of a TSA officer feeling up grandma does the trick.
I'm not a huge fan of the meme, or any political meme for that matter, but i think the implication was we do very little at our borders to non citizens trying to gain access to our country even though we already have high security at airports where grandmas are searched. Something seems backwards
Ludwig von Missi
contrario said:

Crash Davis said:

riflebear said:

I'm not a huge fan of the meme, or any political meme for that matter, but i think the implication was we do very little at our borders to non citizens trying to gain access to our country even though we already have high security at airports where grandmas are searched. Something seems backwards
I guess. I would think this meme would be more likely to make people rethink the way we do airport security than to be an effective rallying cry for strengthened border security, but maybe that's just me.
riflebear
contrario said:

Crash Davis said:

riflebear said:

Thank you. Millennials like Crash haven't been around long enough to realize how ridiculous this lack of action by the Dems is. It's literally the most common sense thing Congress could do and less than a decade ago they almost all had Trump's position.

Crash clearly missed the joke mocking both the Dems on border security and how ridiculous TSA can be at times so thanks for explaining. It's a stupid/ridiculous Meme which is exactly the point.
Ludwig von Missi
riflebear said:

contrario said:

Crash Davis said:

riflebear said:

Thank you. Millennials like Crash haven't been around long enough to realize how ridiculous this lack of action by the Dems is. It's literally the most common sense thing Congress could do and less than a decade ago they almost all had Trump's position.

Crash clearly missed the joke mocking both the Dems on border security and how ridiculous TSA can be at times so thanks for explaining. It's a stupid/ridiculous Meme which is exactly the point.
Now that you've explained the joke to me, I've got to say, it's a real knee slapper.

Look forward to the day that I'm old enough to talk politics with the big boys.
BrooksBearLives
bearassnekkid said:

BrooksBearLives said:

bearassnekkid said:

BrooksBearLives said:

LOL, you are such an insufferable *ussy. You know other people can read this, right? Everyone can see that I didn't whine or cry in any of the points 2-10. You literally made that up out of thin air.

As usual, when you get your ass handed to you, you just retreat or disregard entirely.

If it's too much for you to engage, fine, but at least grow a sack and answer what percentage of the illegals streaming across our border you think are political refugees. You're the one hanging your hat on "asylum", so what percentage do you think that applies to?

First I was a *****. Then you want to talk about handling my ass.

Did you learn that on your mission trips?
riflebear
Crash Davis said:

riflebear said:

contrario said:

Crash Davis said:

riflebear said:

Now that you've explained the joke to me, I've got to say, it's a real knee slapper.

It was sarcasm. You of all people should understand that. U need some thicker skin. Wasn't coming after u at all but for someone who dishes it out daily you don't like anything coming back at u. And we aren't 'big guys' unfortunately just getting older and been around long enough to see hypocrisy in politics (from both sides). The sad thing is this time it's actually allowing serious crime and harm to innocent illegals and Americans that could be prevented.

The meme should have been posted in the immigration thread vs here.
Ludwig von Missi
riflebear said:

Crash Davis said:

riflebear said:

contrario said:

Crash Davis said:

riflebear said:

It was sarcasm. You of all people should understand that. U need some thicker skin. Wasn't coming after u at all but for someone who dishes it out daily you don't like anything coming back at u. And we aren't 'big guys' unfortunately just getting older and been around long enough to see hypocrisy in politics (from both sides). The sad thing is this time it's actually allowing serious crime and harm to innocent illegals and Americans that could be prevented.

Thicker skin? Perhaps my tone isn't coming through, but I'm not upset in the slightest. I just think it is a dumb meme that is neither funny nor effective.
riflebear
Crash Davis said:

riflebear said:

Crash Davis said:

riflebear said:

contrario said:

Crash Davis said:

riflebear said:

Thicker skin? Perhaps my tone isn't coming through, but I'm not upset in the slightest. I just think it is a dumb meme that is neither funny nor effective.

We know u hate Trump and are anti conservative for the most part so nothing I will say will change it. He already tried to explain it so u obviously don't like that it exposes the Dems for who they are. If I'm wrong about leaning lib then U just need a little more common sense then. And what happened to only bashing conservatives in the Bear Cave and leaving us poors alone? Lol. Night night.
Ludwig von Missi
riflebear said:

Crash Davis said:

riflebear said:

Crash Davis said:

riflebear said:

contrario said:

Crash Davis said:

riflebear said:

We know u hate Trump and are anti conservative for the most part so nothing I will say will change it. He already tried to explain it so u obviously don't like that it exposes the Dems for who they are. If I'm wrong about leaning lib then U just need a little more common sense then. And what happened to only bashing conservatives in the Bear Cave and leaving us poors alone? Lol. Night night.
This response is bizarre. You posted a meme. I expressed my opinion of the meme, calmly and respectfully, and somehow that led to this. Weren't you just lecturing me about needing thicker skin? After this exchange, I can't help but assume there is a good deal of projection at play.
Florda_mike
How could a person not get the analogy? Serious question?

Have millennials been programmed to not think for themselves?

Having a strict policy frisking a friggin 85 year old great grandma and no policy at our border allowing young criminals in our country should be obvious hypocrisy of our government you'd think?

Then the millennial says, "source please???"

Good Lord ...... I fear our future when these programmed robotic fools get in leadership
GoneGirl
BrooksBearLives said:

Jinx 2 said:

BrooksBearLives said:

bearassnekkid said:

BrooksBearLives said:

OH I agree completely. We have dear friends who had disastrous results as well. Went to Romania, adopted through Catholic Charities, ended up having to put locks on all their bedroom doors for their own protection. They had CPS basically say that they could be written up for leaving their adopted child in the home along with their two birth children. It broke everyone's hearts. I cannot even imagine.

I 1000% agree. And I can't even bring it up until I'm done with this PhD either. I just feel I have been given so much, and we have so much love to give. I just really feel called. But my wife has to be completely on board. Absolutely.
In the 1990s, a work colleague and his wife adopted 2 Romanian orphans. They first adopted a 3-month old girl. Then they discovered she had several siblings; the mother would visit the orphanage every 18 months or so to drop off another baby. So they adopted an older sister, age 4, and connected with a couple from Missouri who adopted an older boy, age 7.

Steve's wife was a pediatric nurse practitioner, which was a good thing, because the 4-year-old needed extensive therapy, including learning to crawl, to deal with the neurological issues of 4 years of neglect in that orphanage. The 3-month old suffered no permanent damage. The parents of the 7-year-old may have ultimately had to give up custody; he was a danger to the entire family. That situation sound similar to the one your friends dealt with.

Good care in early childhood is crucial. My m-i-l taught kindergarten for 25 years, and every year, she had students who did not know how to talk to an adult, because their parents or caretakers had never engaged in a conversation with them--just issued orders. Those kids were already behind the curve before they had a chance to start school.

At our borders, we are separating kids from their parents--including infants--for months. That, IMO, is unconscionable.
BrooksBearLives
Jinx 2 said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Jinx 2 said:

BrooksBearLives said:

bearassnekkid said:

BrooksBearLives said:

In the 1990s, a work colleague and his wife adopted 2 Romanian orphans. They first adopted a 3-month old girl. Then they discovered she had several siblings; the mother would visit the orphanage every 18 months or so to drop off another baby. So they adopted an older sister, age 4, and connected with a couple from Missouri who adopted an older boy, age 7.

Steve's wife was a pediatric nurse practitioner, which was a good thing, because the 4-year-old needed extensive therapy, including learning to crawl, to deal with the neurological issues of 4 years of neglect in that orphanage. The 3-month old suffered no permanent damage. The parents of the 7-year-old may have ultimately had to give up custody; he was a danger to the entire family. That situation sound similar to the one your friends dealt with.

Good care in early childhood is crucial. My m-i-l taught kindergarten for 25 years, and every year, she had students who did not know how to talk to an adult, because their parents or caretakers had never engaged in a conversation with them--just issued orders. Those kids were already behind the curve before they had a chance to start school.

At our borders, we are separating kids from their parents--including infants--for months. That, IMO, is unconscionable.
The dissonance is what gets me. We have people who seem to genuinely care about babies on the one hand (abortion, adoption, etc), but show utter callous disdain (looking the other way at how people are treated at the border, refusing to even consider their humanity by engaging in critical thought about what conditions could force someone to walk across a desert with their children on their backs).
Doc Holliday
BrooksBearLives said:

Jinx 2 said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Jinx 2 said:

BrooksBearLives said:

bearassnekkid said:

BrooksBearLives said:

The dissonance is what gets me. We have people who seem to genuinely care about babies on the one hand (abortion, adoption, etc), but show utter callous disdain (looking the other way at how people are treated at the border, refusing to even consider their humanity by engaging in critical thought about what conditions could force someone to walk across a desert with their children on their backs).
I want increased immigration while simultaneously ending illegal immigration.

What's wrong with that?

Why not deploy every possible action to eliminate illegal immigration while making it faster and more efficient to acquire more immigrants who are properly vetted and screened? I am not ok with just letting anyone in. South America is a corrupt and failed state. There are bad actors, cartel, child traffickers and so on in large quantities. We must have a filter.

This is all we want. But every time we say it, we are dehumanized by people like you.
BrooksBearLives
Doc Holliday said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Jinx 2 said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Jinx 2 said:

BrooksBearLives said:

bearassnekkid said:

BrooksBearLives said:

I want increased immigration while simultaneously ending illegal immigration.

What's wrong with that?

Why not deploy every possible action to eliminate illegal immigration while making it faster and more efficient to acquire more immigrants who are properly vetted and screened? I am not ok with just letting anyone in. South America is a corrupt and failed state. There are bad actors, cartel, child traffickers and so on in large quantities. We must have a filter.

This is all we want. But every time we say it, we are dehumanized by people like you.
How have I dehumanized you? Come on. I've stayed comparatively civil while I've been called names constantly. I don't make a big deal out of it because I'm a big boy and know what I'm getting into by daring to challenge the insanely conservative bubble that is this board. Outside ideas are bound to irritate. I can handle it.

But don't say I'm dehumanizing you while you're condoning 4 month-olds being torn from their mother's arms. That just shows you don't know the meaning of the word.

I am for immigration reform that works. This is Trump's signature policy initiative. He had a majority in the house AND the Senate and has absolutely failed on this front. It has been a policy disaster from the beginning. And it isn't because of obstruction. It's because his "maximum cruelty" as a deterrent was never going to work. Because, short of murdering people via beheading and bodily mutilation, the US Government can't compete with a massive part of what is driving immigrants to cross the border.

https://www.newsweek.com/mexican-cartel-hitmen-perform-isis-style-beheading-after-forcing-rival-confess-729764
BrooksBearLives
I'm still pissed by your statement that I've dehumanized you. Disagreeing with your opinion and appealing to your supposed sense of morality/Christianity isn't dehumanizing.

It's the opposite. Dehumanizing you would be me watching you get arrested for wanting a better life for your kids, saying nothing, and then voting for the *******s who did it to you.
Doc Holliday
BrooksBearLives said:

I'm still pissed by your statement that I've dehumanized you. Disagreeing with your opinion and appealing to your supposed sense of morality/Christianity isn't dehumanizing.

It's the opposite. Dehumanizing you would be me watching you get arrested for wanting a better life for your kids, saying nothing, and then voting for the *******s who did it to you.
This right here is a dehumanizing statement:

"but show utter callous disdain (looking the other way at how people are treated at the border, refusing to even consider their humanity by engaging in critical thought about what conditions could force someone to walk across a desert with their children on their backs)."

You think we're looking away. You think we don't understand these people's struggles and coming from corrupt failed states full of violence and no prosperity.

You act is if we don't care. That's dehumanizing us.

You also ignore the child separation issues that started with Obama. You lay blame on Trump when illegal immigration have NEVER been addressed. Ever.

We want a wall: we're called racist. We want to deport illegals: we're called racist. We want better border security: we're called racist. We say it's not fair that illegals get access to things they don't pay for: we're called racists.

Do you understand you're entire political army on the left is exhausting their rhetoric because you dehumanize us. The right is growing sick and tired of it.

If you follow the money and want to talk about the real problem, not the media's rhetoric, illegal immigration is a cash cow for both parties. Each illegal child is worth tens of thousands of dollars. It is used to campaign on. DC doesn't want to touch it on purpose: both parties.
Ludwig von Missi
Florda_mike said:

Having a strict policy frisking a friggin 85 year old great grandma and no policy at our border allowing young criminals in our country should be obvious hypocrisy of our government you'd think?

Good Lord ...... I fear our future when these programmed robotic fools get in leadership
It is laughable for you to call me programmed. I can list off a dozen things that I think Trump has done well. Here are a few for starters:

-The Neil Gorsuch nomination was a tape measure home run, and he proved it again in yesterday's Gamble dissent
-Other judicial appointments to the federal bench, i.e. Don Willet (June 26th is coming up which will be the 4th anniversary of his Patel opinion...basically a national holiday at my house)
-I have praised the First Step Act as one of the most important pieces of legislation in decades, and while Trump may not have been the brains behind the bill, he supported it and signed a good bill, which is all I ask out of the executive.
-I support the majority of his rhetorical tone towards Syria, Afghanistan, and Iraq. When he said in his State of the Union a few months ago, "Great countries don't find endless wars," I thought that was a refreshing thing to hear a president say.
-I was pleased with aspects of the tax cuts (although admittedly his trade policy and lack of spending cuts has put a dent in how effective I believe those tax cuts will end up being)
-I think Trump has done a solid job putting a dent in the regulatory state

I bet you can't make a list half that long of Trump policies/actions/etc. that you disapprove of...almost as if you're programmed.

Yes, I am highly critical of Trump at times...just like I was of Obama, just like I was of W. But I give him his due when I feel it is warranted. My principles don't change regardless of who is in office. That is what an independent mind looks like.
BrooksBearLives
Doc Holliday said:

BrooksBearLives said:

This right here is a dehumanizing statement:

"but show utter callous disdain (looking the other way at how people are treated at the border, refusing to even consider their humanity by engaging in critical thought about what conditions could force someone to walk across a desert with their children on their backs)."

You think we're looking away. You think we don't understand these people's struggles and coming from corrupt failed states full of violence and no prosperity.

You act is if we don't care. That's dehumanizing us.

You also ignore the child separation issues that started with Obama. You lay blame on Trump when illegal immigration have NEVER been addressed. Ever.

We want a wall: we're called racist. We want to deport illegals: we're called racist. We want better border security: we're called racist. We say it's not fair that illegals get access to things they don't pay for: we're called racists.

Do you understand you're entire political army on the left is exhausting their rhetoric because you dehumanize us. The right is growing sick and tired of it.

If you follow the money and want to talk about the real problem, not the media's rhetoric, illegal immigration is a cash cow for both parties. Each illegal child is worth tens of thousands of dollars. It is used to campaign on. DC doesn't want to touch it on purpose: both parties.
That's not dehumanizing. That isn't what that means. Holy ***** That is not at ALL what that means.

Please stop.

I'm not removing your humanity. I'm appealing to it. You're just looking for a grievance.
BrooksBearLives
Crash Davis said:

Florda_mike said:

It is laughable for you to call me programmed. I can list off a dozen things that I think Trump has done well. Here are a few for starters:

-The Neil Gorsuch nomination was a tape measure home run, and he proved it again in yesterday's Gamble dissent
-Other judicial appointments to the federal bench, i.e. Don Willet (June 26th is coming up which will be the 4th anniversary of his Patel opinion...basically a national holiday at my house)
-I have praised the First Step Act as one of the most important pieces of legislation in decade, and while Trump may not have been the brains behind the bill, he supported it and signed a good bill, which is all I ask out of the executive.
-I support the majority of his rhetorical tone towards Syria, Afghanistan, and Iraq. When he said in his State of the Union a few months ago, "Great countries don't find endless wars," I thought that was a refreshing thing to hear a president say.
-I was pleased with aspects of the tax cuts (although admittedly his trade policy and lack of spending cuts has put a dent in how effective I believe those tax cuts will end up being)

I bet you can't make a list half that long of Trump policies/actions/etc. that you disapprove of...almost as if you're programmed.

Yes, I am highly critical of Trump at times...just like I was of Obama, just like I was of W. But I give him his due when I feel it is warranted. My principles don't change regardless of who is in office. That is what an independent mind looks like.
I can add that I think the decision to allow Vets to get their VA medical benefits via private sector was a net-gain. I've been reading a lot about it. I think there will be some long-term negative effects, but they're more than made up for through benefits to Vets in rural settings alone. I'll give the Trump Administration credit for that, absolutely.
GoneGirl
Crash Davis said:

Florda_mike said:

-I have praised the First Step Act as one of the most important pieces of legislation in decades, and while Trump may not have been the brains behind the bill, he supported it and signed a good bill, which is all I ask out of the executive.

The Neil Gorsuch nomination was engineered by Mitch McConnell. Trump was a tool in accomplishing that.

That applies to the other judicial appointments, too. McConnell & Co. have busily been funneling them through the Senate while Trump's in office.

Could have happened under any GOP president as long as the GOP controlled the Senate.

My hope is that some of these appointeesrespect the rule of law more than Trump and McConnell & Co.
Ludwig von Missi
Jinx 2 said:

Crash Davis said:

Florda_mike said:

The Neil Gorsuch nomination was engineered by Mitch McConnell. Trump was a tool in accomplishing that.

That applies to the other judicial appointments, too. McConnell & Co. have busily been funneling them through the Senate while Trump's in office.

Could have happened under any GOP president as long as the GOP controlled the Senate.

My hope is that some of these appointeesrespect the rule of law more than Trump and McConnell & Co.
Who cares?

Taking good advice is a MASSIVE part of being an effective executive. Trump didn't have to nominate Gorsuch, but he did. He made a great nomination and deserves credit for it.
riflebear
Jinx 2 said:

Crash Davis said:

Florda_mike said:

Crash is right here. He even put his list out pre-election 2016 so people knew who his top picks were and like so many things he's done since 2016 - he's kept his promise. Of course he's not perfect but when it comes to the nominations he's killing it. All Presidents are given recommendations by people who know the judges the best. He's not a 'tool' but he used good judgement as an Executive to listen to people under him who are experts in that area. That's literally what any good leader does.

You say he's just following Mitch, how many Presidents would have caved at media and mob pressure during the Kavanaugh process? That could have backfired big time but he kept his public support of him even during all the lies. I like many have issues w/ Trump in several areas but what I like most about him is he stands up to the media. Some might not like how he does it and at times I don't but I've been waiting a long time to see the media be called out for their lies and hypocrisy. Unfortunately they are now doubling down knowing 2020 is just around the corner so expect it to ramp up and see them defend the Dems even more than they've done in the past.
GoneGirl
riflebear said:

Jinx 2 said:

Crash Davis said:

Florda_mike said:

Crash is right here. He even put his list out pre-election 2016 so people knew who his top picks were and like so many things he's done since 2016 - he's kept his promise. Of course he's not perfect but when it comes to the nominations he's killing it. All Presidents are given recommendations by people who know the judges the best. He's not a 'tool' but he used good judgement as an Executive to listen to people under him who are experts in that area. That's literally what any good leader does.

You say he's just following Mitch, how many Presidents would have caved at media and mob pressure during the Kavanaugh process? That could have backfired big time but he kept his public support of him even during all the lies. I like many have issues w/ Trump in several areas but what I like most about him is he stands up to the media. Some might not like how he does it and at times I don't but I've been waiting a long time to see the media be called out for their lies and hypocrisy. Unfortunately they are now doubling down knowing 2020 is just around the corner so expect it to ramp up and see them defend the Dems even more than they've done in the past.
Trump has chosen his cabinet members, and those have been awful--corrupt (Pruitt and Zinke), incompetent (DeVos), unqualified (Carson), clueless (Wilbur Ross), mean but not mean enough (kirstjen Nielsen), embarrassing (Rick Perry).

MConnell & Co. have chosen the judges.
BrooksBearLives
riflebear said:

Jinx 2 said:

Crash Davis said:

Florda_mike said:

That list was cut-and-pasted whole cloth from the Federalist Society. Give him credit for that if you really want to. In the meantime, I'd like an award for not dropping my sandwich its way from the plate to my mouth.
BrooksBearLives
Jinx 2 said:

riflebear said:

Jinx 2 said:

Crash Davis said:

Florda_mike said:

Trump has chosen his cabinet members, and those have been awful--corrupt (Pruitt and Zinke), incompetent (DeVos), unqualified (Carson), clueless (Wilbur Ross), mean but not mean enough (kirstjen Nielsen), embarrassing (Rick Perry).

MConnell & Co. have chosen the judges.
Shannahan just dropped out. We've been without a Secretary of Defense for almost half a year (169 days).
BrooksBearLives
Back to the topic at hand.

If the Census Question is allowed. Texas will very possibly lose at least one congressional seat and electoral votes.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-citizenship-question-could-cost-california-and-texas-a-seat-in-congress/

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.