Gun controlled Canada

5,291 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Sam Lowry
El Oso
How long do you want to ignore this user?
1. You have to get a license before you can buy a gun. A safety course is required prior to filling out the license application. The license expires every 5 years and the ENTIRE process must be repeated if you wish to renew.
2. You cannot carry that gun in public. Not even with a license.
3. That gun must be registered with the government.
4. All guns must be locked and ammunition stored in a separate location when not in use.

So basically they do what many on here say we should do.

So, why did this happen?

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/toronto-raptors-parade-shooting-reports-200045175.html
cinque
I'm not being trite when I say the obvious difference between us and Canada is we value guns more than people.
Canada doesn't.
Doc Holliday
Because gun laws don't work: criminals don't follow the law.

It's extremely easy to get a gun on the black market.
redfish961
cinque said:

I'm not being trite when I say the obvious difference between us and Canada is we value guns more than people.
Canada doesn't.
So why did this happen?
cinque
redfish961 said:

cinque said:

Canada doesn't.
So why did this happen?
Because some people who shouldn't have guns still manage to get them, despite the government's good faith effort to protect its people from gun violence.
redfish961
cinque said:

redfish961 said:

cinque said:

Canada doesn't.
So why did this happen?
Because some people who shouldn't have guns still msmage to get them, despite the government's good faith effort to protect its people from gun violence.
So how do you propose that those that shouldn't have guns be identified?

Or are you saying it should be everybody?
cinque
redfish961 said:

cinque said:

redfish961 said:

cinque said:

Canada doesn't.
So why did this happen?
Because some people who shouldn't have guns still msmage to get them, despite the government's good faith effort to protect its people from gun violence.
So how do you propose that those that shouldn't have guns be identified?

Or are you saying it should be everybody?
The problem with gun ubiquity is it's difficult to pre screen future killers but it's impossible to do so when no steps are taken to protect innocent people from gun violence. We tried by attempting to notify the FBI of severely mentally ill people on government assistance when performing background checks. But that was too much like right.
fubar
cinque said:

redfish961 said:

cinque said:

Canada doesn't.
So why did this happen?
Because some people who shouldn't have guns still manage to get them, despite the government's good faith effort to protect its people from gun violence.
Winston Churchill once told his slow-moving commander Bernard Law Montgomery that when it came to war planning, "don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good."

What you have all too often on this site is one side demanding that whatever plan you have, it must be perfect before they'll accept it. Especially when it comes to any kind of gun legislation.

Actually, both "sides" use it with whatever point someone tries to make. It's pretty silly, but it does shut down actual thoughtful conversation. Which is awesome ... if you're ****ing stupid.
redfish961
pruritus_ani said:

cinque said:

redfish961 said:

cinque said:

Canada doesn't.
So why did this happen?
Winston Churchill once told his slow-moving commander Bernard Law Montgomery that when it came to war planning, "don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good."

What you have all too often on this site is one side demanding that whatever plan you have, it must be perfect before they'll accept it. Especially when it comes to any kind of gun legislation.

Actually, both "sides" use it with whatever point someone tries to make. It's pretty silly, but it does shut down actual thoughtful conversation. Which is awesome ... if you're ****ing stupid.
I'd agree with this.

It's more like a game with "teams" rather than trying to find a solution.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
How does Canada's crime rate compare to the US? Honest question .
redfish961
Limited IQ Redneck in PU said:

Hell, who knows? Which one do you want to listen to?

All I know is I have what I need in an emergency and I'm good.
El Oso

Country comparisons are usually not an accurate way to measure things. That said, heres just the Canadian data.
Statistics Canada data released on 2016, police reported 611 homicides across Canada in 2016, a rate of 1.68 per 100,000 people.. Canada's national homicide rate 2017 was the highest it's been in a decade, Statistics Canada says, because of a spike in gang-related violence and shootings.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Thanks. It sounds like Canada needs more guns.
cms186
El Oso said:

1. You have to get a license before you can buy a gun. A safety course is required prior to filling out the license application. The license expires every 5 years and the ENTIRE process must be repeated if you wish to renew.
2. You cannot carry that gun in public. Not even with a license.
3. That gun must be registered with the government.
4. All guns must be locked and ammunition stored in a separate location when not in use.

So basically they do what many on here say we should do.

So, why did this happen?

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/toronto-raptors-parade-shooting-reports-200045175.html
Noone has ever said stricter gun laws will completely eliminate all gun crime, what it does do is make Gun Crime a lot rarer
I'm the English Guy
Wichitabear
Really
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
How does the US compare with other countries?
About 40% of Americans say they own a gun or live in a household with one, according to a 2017 survey, and the rate of murder or manslaughter by firearm is the highest in the developed world. There were more than 11,000 deaths as a result of murder or manslaughter involving a firearm in 2016.

Homicides are taken here to include murder and manslaughter. The FBI separates statistics for what it calls justifiable homicide, which includes the killing of a criminal by a police officer or private citizen in certain circumstances, which are not included.
In about 13% of cases, the FBI does not have data on the weapon used. By removing these cases from the overall total of gun deaths in the US, the proportion of gun-related killings rises to 73% of homicides.

73% to 30%. Well, maybe not.
El Oso

About 40% of Americans say they own a gun or live in a household with one, according to a 2017 survey, and the rate of murder or manslaughter by firearm is the highest in the developed world. There were more than 11,000 deaths as a result of murder or manslaughter involving a firearm in 2016.

Homicides are taken here to include murder and manslaughter. The FBI separates statistics for what it calls justifiable homicide, which includes the killing of a criminal by a police officer or private citizen in certain circumstances, which are not included.
In about 13% of cases, the FBI does not have data on the weapon used. By removing these cases from the overall total of gun deaths in the US, the proportion of gun-related killings rises to 73% of homicides.

Country to country comparisons are ridiculous.

https://mises.org/wire/mistake-only-comparing-us-murder-rates-developed-countries
riflebear
cinque said:

Canada doesn't.
It's actually the exact opposite. I own my guns because I DO VALUE my family and friends (and all people) more than 'guns' and criminals who would try to harm any of them. Wouldn't you want to protect your loved ones from some psycho who was trying to kill them?

As far as the OP - I agree w/ #1. I've always said there should be some kind of safety/training course that everyone has to take and pass while they wait to pass background checks to purchase a gun. We used to have to take a hunter safety course as a kid to get our card to hunt. Why don't they require that for everyone? Kind of like what is required for your conceal to carry. Obviously it wouldn't have to be that long but anything is better than no training.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
The chart I provided compares us to Canada Australia and the UK. What wrong with that? Your article said we.shouldn't compare to smaller countries like Mexico or Norway. I agree

The guns are the same. People are people. Death is death. Countries with fewer guns fair better. Discuss why that isn't important.
cinque
riflebear said:

cinque said:

Canada doesn't.
It's actually the exact opposite. I own my guns because I DO VALUE my family and friends (and all people) more than 'guns' and criminals who would try to harm any of them. Wouldn't you want to protect your loved ones from some psycho who was trying to kill them?

As far as the OP - I agree w/ #1. I've always said there should be some kind of safety/training course that everyone has to take and pass while they wait to pass background checks to purchase a gun. We used to have to take a hunter safety course as a kid to get our card to hunt. Why don't they require that for everyone? Kind of like what is required for your conceal to carry. Obviously it wouldn't have to be that long but anything is better than no training.
You support a culture that consistently show a bias for gun rights. Every time we have one of these events, there's always, always more concern about what might happen to your guns than there is about the victims and the families they leave behind. It's shameful
Canada2017

Correct me if I'm wrong ...but aren't you the guy who said he shot his own dogs ?
riflebear
cinque said:

riflebear said:

cinque said:

Canada doesn't.

You support a culture that consistently show a bias for gun rights. Every time we have one of these events, there's always, always more concern about what might happen to your guns than there is about the victims and the families they leave behind. It's shameful

Always? The Dems 'always' bring up gun rights which we know will never change in our lifetime so it's just another tragedy they use to try and win votes. I never show concern and very rarely post about guns when tragedies happen because I know they would happen regardless. Why didn't they ban airplanes after 9/11? That sounds as ridiculous as your arguments. You could remove every sharp dangerous object in our country and there would still be as much evil in this world and murders.

And everyone shows concern but u all just mock God and prayers and vigils and any conversation about more protection or mental health etc.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Canada2017 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong ...but aren't you the guy who said he shot his own dogs ?
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Yes. I own several guns. They are tools. I dont love them. One stays in the barn and the others are on my closet. The one in the barn is loaded.

I dont carry unless I am riding the fence line. I dont hide them or take to church or sporting events. I own a few rifles a few shotguns and twi pistols. I probably own more guns than most here. I dont think most Americans need ak's or need to pack heat at church or playgrounds or sporting events bars or restaurants. If fear keeps you from sleeping go ahead put one under your pillows and grip it tightly. That's something I cant relate to.
Buddha Bear
El Oso said:

Country to country comparisons are ridiculous.

https://mises.org/wire/mistake-only-comparing-us-murder-rates-developed-countries
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/mark-cuban-shootings-inequality-205623565.html

I think Mark Cuban makes some sense on the issue here.

"when your expectations for your life going forward are increasing but the reality is diverging from that and so what you thought would happen with your life and where you are gets further and further apart, then people do things that they otherwise wouldn't do..."

I'd argue that poverty, available safety nets, access to healthcare, etc are better measures of gun violence than just comparing a country's gun laws. America is a high risk, high reward country, and we have more desperate and unstable people running around to go with it.
Wichitabear
This^^^^^
El Oso

The chart I provided compares us to Canada Australia and the UK. What wrong with that? Your article said we.shouldn't compare to smaller countries like Mexico or Norway. I agree

The guns are the same. People are people. Death is death. Countries with fewer guns fair better. Discuss why that isn't important.

The guns are not the same. Canada limits what is available.

People are not people. As a world traveler you understand this. The article touched on this. Canada is 73% white. They dont deal with a lot of ethnic issues. When you put a lot of ethnicities together, you get cultural issues others don't. A fair percentage of our mass shootings are based on ethnic differences.

As another poster said, we have a lot of freedom and capitalism ideas here. With that comes high risk. With that comes reward but for some failure. Almost all mass shootings here are from failures (lost job, outcast at school, mental breakdown, etc).

So while I agree people are people, they also aren't. People are products of their environment and country environments are too varied to compare.
Canada2017

Yes. I own several guns. They are tools. I dont love them. One stays in the barn and the others are on my closet. The one in the barn is loaded.

I dont carry unless I am riding the fence line. I dont hide them or take to church or sporting events. I own a few rifles a few shotguns and twi pistols. I probably own more guns than most here. I dont think most Americans need ak's or need to pack heat at church or playgrounds or sporting events bars or restaurants. If fear keeps you from sleeping go ahead put one under your pillows and grip it tightly. That's something I cant relate to.

And you shoot your dogs correct ?
Jack and DP
In 2015, Montana had 36 murders with around a one million population. In 2019, Jackson, MS has a population of around 180,000 and already has 51 murders for the year. The gun laws are very similar. What's the difference?
fadskier
Jack and DP said:

In 2015, Montana had 36 murders with around a one million population. In 2019, Jackson, MS has a population of around 180,000 and already has 51 murders for the year. The gun laws are very similar. What's the difference?
I'd move to Montana in a heartbeat if my wife would say yes...
Salute the Marines - Joe Biden
BearN
Jack and DP said:

SEC FTW
Doc Holliday

Do you think AK's and AR's should be banned?

If so, why?
Canada2017
fadskier said:

Jack and DP said:

I'd move to Montana in a heartbeat if my wife would say yes...

Same here.

Hope to get permission for a summer home at least in either Montana or Idaho
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Canada2017 said:

And you shoot your dogs correct ?

Yes, when one of my Great Pyrenees becomes too old to work and is in pain and suffering I put it down. Some die of old age but I have had to do this a few times over the years.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Doc Holliday said:

Do you think AK's and AR's should be banned?

If so, why?
I said most arent needed. I understand gun lovers and the camel nose under the tent logic. I think you have to draw the line somewhere. How about bazookas? Gatling guns? Peronally if I thought I needed an AR to protect myself against the government or hoodlums I would leave and find a safer place to live.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.