Why some Christians love the meanest part of Trump.

5,116 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by cinque
codyorr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
whiterock said:

codyorr said:

Quote:

When you make a short-term decision that can have long-term detrimental consequences, as I think Trump will, you are harming your cause. Trump will affect the way the culture views abortion and views conservatism. As a Trump-supporting pro-lifer, can I convince anyone that abortion is wrong? He makes it more difficult.

This is similar to an argument that I made to my dad. As a Christian, I believe Trump makes it harder to spread the Gospel and encourage others to seek out the Church. His behavior makes Evangelicals appear hypocritical (whether they are or not is a different debate), which is one of the main reasons I hear people say they are not interested in exploring Christianity.
The word of God cannot prevail against the politics of the day.

O yea of little faith.

*Ye.

I admit, I am not the perfect proselytizer, and I pray to be able to do so better.
curtpenn
codyorr said:

Sam Lowry said:

codyorr said:

Sam Lowry said:

codyorr said:

Quote:

When you make a short-term decision that can have long-term detrimental consequences, as I think Trump will, you are harming your cause. Trump will affect the way the culture views abortion and views conservatism. As a Trump-supporting pro-lifer, can I convince anyone that abortion is wrong? He makes it more difficult.

This is similar to an argument that I made to my dad. As a Christian, I believe Trump makes it harder to spread the Gospel and encourage others to seek out the Church. His behavior makes Evangelicals appear hypocritical (whether they are or not is a different debate), which is one of the main reasons I hear people say they are not interested in exploring Christianity.
A lot of people who say they're not interested in Christianity because of Trump are the same ones who say Trump isn't a real Christian. There are exceptions, but I usually take it with a grain of salt.

I don't think their argument is "Trump is a Christian, but he's a bad person, so Christians must be bad people, too". I think it's, "Christians condemn who they consider 'bad' people, but Trump is a bad person, and Christians support him anyway. Christians are hypocritical or have a bad definition of 'bad'."
I would disagree with their premise on both theological and historical grounds. Christians don't condemn bad people. We condemn bad actions so that people (including ourselves) can avoid them. And we've always supported politicians who were varying degrees of good and bad, just like everyone else has always done.

You're arguing with the wrong person; I'm simply relaying what I hear when discussing religion with my non-Christian peers. My concern, which appears to be a similar concern of Howe's for anyone who read the interview, is the evangelical embrace and defense of Trump makes it that much harder to reach non-Christians. Unfortunately in this matter, what non-Christians perceive is more important than what us Christians believe they should perceive.
Maybe we could segue into a Calvinist vs Arminian argument and have fun with that. Sort of, non-Christians who use Trump as a justification for their non-belief were predestined..... oh, never mind. Ha.
whiterock
codyorr said:

whiterock said:

codyorr said:

Quote:

The word of God cannot prevail against the politics of the day.

O yea of little faith.

*Ye.

I admit, I am not the perfect proselytizer, and I pray to be able to do so better.
the best way to proselytize is to leave politics out of it.
same for politics....best to leave religion out of it.

They are two different realms, and victory in one has little affect on success in the other. It is very difficult to play in both simultaneously, without running into this problem:

virtuecrat:
A political figure who preaches his or her own morals as a cultural imperative.

riflebear
codyorr said:

Quote:

Why - Trump is not out there professing he's a Christian? His actions should have nothing to do w/ your witness to other people.

I'd also love to hear how many people you talk to about becoming a Christian and why Trump even comes up in the conversation? Maybe you're in ministry and you are out there witnessing to a lot of non believers, if you are then that is great - keep it up. My recommendation is to keep politics out of that conversation.
fadskier
Me voting for Trump had nothing to do with Christianity
Salute the Marines - Joe Biden
codyorr
riflebear said:

codyorr said:

Quote:

Why - Trump is not out there professing he's a Christian? His actions should have nothing to do w/ your witness to other people.

I'd also love to hear how many people you talk to about becoming a Christian and why Trump even comes up in the conversation? Maybe you're in ministry and you are out there witnessing to a lot of non believers, if you are then that is great - keep it up. My recommendation is to keep politics out of that conversation.

Oh I definitely do not bring up politics willingly! But at some point the person I'm speaking with typically mentions the perceived hypocrisy of Christians, and political actions are one example of that hypocrisy.

Yes, this is a small sample, maybe 4 to 5 people over the past few years? A mix of family, friends, and classmates. But this could just be local to my network.
riflebear
codyorr said:

riflebear said:

codyorr said:

Quote:

Oh I definitely do not bring up politics willingly! But at some point the person I'm speaking with typically mentions the perceived hypocrisy of Christians, and political actions are one example of that hypocrisy.

Yes, this is a small sample, maybe 4 to 5 people over the past few years? A mix of family, friends, and classmates. But this could just be local to my network.
I appreciate the honesty. Those conversations are always difficult so i respect that you are having them. I think a simple reply would be literally every Christian is a hypocrite because we all sin and fail daily in what we hopefully believe in and try to do (I know I do on this board) That would be a good lead into a big reason we all need Jesus in the first place.
Kyle
Name a politician who is not a hypocrite. Maybe Jimmy Carter. Outside of that, it does become a binary choice, and for most some level of hypocrisy. That being said, some evangelical leaders' lust for power and buddying up to Trump is shameful IMHO.
fadskier
Are there really a bunch of people who vote the way a pastor says to? and also, why do people need the president to be a "moral" leader? If your morals are so bad that you need a politician to direct you...well, you're in bigger trouble than you think...
muddybrazos
cinque said:

riflebear said:

cinque said:

riflebear said:

cinque said:

riflebear said:

codyorr said:

curtpenn said:

MoneyBear said:

I'd like to take this opportunity to explain what a binary choice is. In our system, every election is a binary choice. Not voting for one candidate is essentially voting for the other.

Christians look at Trump with his abundant and well documented failings as an individual alongside his largely conservative policies as well as his willingness to push back against the wildly anti-christian leftist agenda.

Then they look at what Democrats are running. In 2016 it was Hillary who has about as many skeletons in her closet as Trump and basically told conservatives they didn't matter. Now it's a slew of candidates who will not stop until every "Christian" group/individual loses their 501c3 status or is bankrupt from meaningless litigation to satisfy their LGBTQ, abortion, etc platform.

I know you're not interested in the real reason Christians vote for Trump because it doesn't fit your agenda. But I am one of many Christians who will vote for Trump simply to vote against a group of people who have not made it a secret that they bear a great disdain for conservative Christians. And I didn't vote for him last time...but I will now.
^^^ x 1,000. Not that complicated. For me, it was mostly about SCOTUS; speaking of long term consequences. As easy as it is to find things to dislike about Trump, the alternative renders his flaws irrelevant.

Serious question: did you read the interview? What do you think of Howe's argument that "Trump will affect the way the culture views abortion and views conservatism. As a Trump-supporting pro-lifer, can I convince anyone that abortion is wrong? He makes it more difficult."
How does he make it more difficult?

I read the article/interview and that doesn't make sense to me. All I see are a record # of minorities coming out in support of Trump and seeing the media and liberals for who they really are now. One of the best things he's done and what I've wanted for over 10-15 years is someone to expose the media. Granted he's taken it a bit far at times and of course polls are polls so we'll see what happens in 2020 but you can't argue he's fighting for all Americans. And yes, that includes ALL minorities and immigrants.

I bet you 99% of liberals who only watch MSNBC or CNN have no clue what some of the incredible things his administration has and is doing for minorities not just now but set up for years to come in the future.

Go look at the 'culture' threads from the last 2 years or just walk around in public compared to 10 years ago and you'll see that it is being destroyed regardless of politicians. These so called 'christians' should focus more on their own communities and being a witness where they live instead of what Trump is doing. If the media would actually report on the truth then there wouldn't be so much hate and division right now, but that's their big money maker. They need hate and division for ratings and of course they want power back so they will do anything corrupt to make that happen as we've seen over the past 3 years and prior.

It's hilarious to think back to 2015 and all the liberal media loving Trump during the GOP primaries because he was bullying and taking out every GOP candidate 1 by 1 and they ate it up. They couldn't get enough of it seeing all these seasoned career politicians melt before their eyes. Now that it's happened to them it's not so funny anymore and they will stop at nothing to make up for what they helped contribute to during the GOP primaries in 2016.

'Christians' shouldn't focus on the politicians, they should focus on the media. That's where the real evil is IMO.
Why is it so important to people like you to believe the preposterous notion that significant numbers of black people support Trump? It's rank silliness.
Silliness that we have to defend it or silliness because you don't think minorities support Trump?

The same reason Trump had to defend himself for 3 years (from you and others) that he was a Russian spy and colluded w/ Russia and Putin (Putin's puppet was your favorite quote) to win the election.

Now it's another conspiracy that Trump is a raging racist who hates minorities. But the best one is he's a Nazi who hates Jews even though his daughter son in law and grandchildren are literally Jewish. That's how stupid the media is, they think people believe this when anyone w/ half a brain knows it's just the typical left trying to win back power. Unfortunately the Dem candidates are pushing these lies too to help their election chances when it's only going to destroy them because America (except Hollywood) is smarter than this.

They called Bush the same things when he was in office - now we just have social media so it spreads faster. This isn't new. It's the same old thing they've done for decades, now they just have a President who won't put up with it and will fight back and it drives them crazy.

The GOP could nominate a half black half hispanic transgender who is married to a half chinese half Jewish lesbian atheist who adopted 3 African babies and allowed them to switch genders at age 5 and if the platform was I am a Christian and I am pro life they would still run w/ the same racist rhetoric they do against any Republican.

You didn't come close to answering the question. Why is it suddenly an obsession with Trumpkins to try and create a relation between black people and Trump that even the most casual observer knows does not exist?
He is the most reviled president known to the black community in 100 years.
Because I asked you to clarify what your question was.

Yes, please keep underestimating his minority support which continues to increase.

And to answer another question, this below is another reason we don't want liberals to win because this is who they are at the heart of their party. None of them call out antifa in fact they encourage it. Not to mention Obama divided our country more than any other President ever did. Liberals despise Ice and border security when over 50% of of these agencies on the border are minorities but they don't care. Same w/ policeman. It's sad and a disgrace that it isn't called out.

Once again, libs stand for division and want people to hate each other so they can win. They don't want unity, nothing they stand for is about unity.

Who has Anifa murdered?

9 people in Dayton
Canada2017
cinque said:

Canada2017 said:

Always amusing when non Christians attempt to lecture Christians about Christianity.

Guess it generates a few nickels for the spam bot.
Its somewhat analogous to someone with no real experience as a target of racism lecturing those who routinely experience it on the authencity of their experiences.

This narcissistic attitude of yours is exactly why so many folks don't run in terror anymore when the race card is played.

Victims of racism come in ALL skin colors . Blacks are not singularly innocent of perpetrating it . Whites have been victimized by racism as well.

This Anglo has been the victim of racism on several occasions.

Been physically attacked because I was white .
Been verbally assaulted because I was white .
Been the target of ( repeated ) theft.
Wife has been treated rudely because she was white.
Son #2 was an obvious victim of job discrimination .

And my experiences are not unusual.

Now there are whole generations of whites who have been victimized. They know , better than any talking head on CNN , that bigots come in ALL skin colors . That discrimination goes in ALL directions .

They have lived through it .

So don't kid yourself princess ....you don't have any special claim to victimhood .
curtpenn
codyorr said:

riflebear said:

codyorr said:

Quote:

I've been mostly a fan of Rod Dreher for probably about 20 years now. You might find this interesting if you haven't seen it before:

"...the meaning of Trump is that he is delaying the small-a apocalypse for conservative Christians. In the piece, I talk about how blind many progressives are to their own side's hostility to social and religious conservatives, and how that blindness prevents them from understanding why people who think Trump is a bad man would vote for him anyway, solely out of self-protection. As a Trump-voting Christian lawyer I met recently said to me, "Donald Trump is going to embarrass me every day of the year, but unlike the other side, he doesn't hate my faith, and seek to do me harm."

https://www.theamericanconservative.com/dreher/evangelicals-trump-shield-2020/?fbclid=IwAR1xiDpmKaG8R92Wr6zCBpusmoZSxEKHBVlbdzKfPY4b93CGM4X1GKZs2BY
Aliceinbubbleland
fadskier said:

Are there really a bunch of people who vote the way a pastor says to? and also, why do people need the president to be a "moral" leader? If your morals are so bad that you need a politician to direct you...well, you're in bigger trouble than you think...
Sadly I think you might be surprised how many vote the way a pastor says.
codyorr
curtpenn said:

codyorr said:

riflebear said:

codyorr said:

Quote:

I've been mostly a fan of Rod Dreher for probably about 20 years now. You might find this interesting if you haven't seen it before:

"...the meaning of Trump is that he is delaying the small-a apocalypse for conservative Christians. In the piece, I talk about how blind many progressives are to their own side's hostility to social and religious conservatives, and how that blindness prevents them from understanding why people who think Trump is a bad man would vote for him anyway, solely out of self-protection. As a Trump-voting Christian lawyer I met recently said to me, "Donald Trump is going to embarrass me every day of the year, but unlike the other side, he doesn't hate my faith, and seek to do me harm."

https://www.theamericanconservative.com/dreher/evangelicals-trump-shield-2020/?fbclid=IwAR1xiDpmKaG8R92Wr6zCBpusmoZSxEKHBVlbdzKfPY4b93CGM4X1GKZs2BY

Thanks for sharing!
codyorr
riflebear said:

codyorr said:

riflebear said:

codyorr said:

Quote:

I appreciate the honesty. Those conversations are always difficult so i respect that you are having them. I think a simple reply would be literally every Christian is a hypocrite because we all sin and fail daily in what we hopefully believe in and try to do (I know I do on this board) That would be a good lead into a big reason we all need Jesus in the first place.

That's good advice, thank you.

It's also relevant to another conversation I had with my dad. He was debating with someone on FB about the doctrine of Eternal Security, and whether a "real" Christian could willfully choose to commit a sin, or, if their heart and spirit were truly transformed, would they only commit sin unwillfully.

This isn't related to anything on this thread, but someone might find the question interesting to think about.
cinque
George Truett said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Why is it either/or?

This is the problem. I get that evangelicals support Trump. But it's the uncritical support that's so bad.

Even worse are attempts to say he's "God's man" and to claim he's somehow "accepted Christ."

Good Lord. Just admit that you're whoring yourself out to gain what you think is a greater good. Don't make this braying ass some kind of hero.
And the people of God said, Amen.
YoakDaddy
cinque said:

George Truett said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Why is it either/or?

This is the problem. I get that evangelicals support Trump. But it's the uncritical support that's so bad.

Even worse are attempts to say he's "God's man" and to claim he's somehow "accepted Christ."

Good Lord. Just admit that you're whoring yourself out to gain what you think is a greater good. Don't make this braying ass some kind of hero.
And the people of God said, Amen.

I don't think the jihad squad uses that terminology.
Sam Lowry
George Truett said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Why is it either/or?

See Matthew 7:5.
cinque
fadskier said:

Why change the rules of the game played by evangelicals for years when suddenly the anti Christ is their guy?
fadskier
BTW, what evangelicals are we talking about here? Names, anyone?

Pretty sure that most Christians who voted for Trump voted due to one (or all) of three reasons: 1. Hillary 2. abortion 3. Supreme Court.

Really not that hard to understand unless you just don't want to understand...but anyway, what evangelicals are blinded by Trump? again, names?
codyorr
Another interesting article about Trump and *young* Evangelicals.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/could-trump-drive-young-white-evangelicals-away-from-the-gop/
BBA, Baylor 2013. PhD Econ, Michigan State 2021. Contributor for Our Daily Bears. Follow @cody_orr.
riflebear
LOL

Johnny Bear
Canada2017 said:

cinque said:

Canada2017 said:

Always amusing when non Christians attempt to lecture Christians about Christianity.

Guess it generates a few nickels for the spam bot.
Its somewhat analogous to someone with no real experience as a target of racism lecturing those who routinely experience it on the authencity of their experiences.

This narcissistic attitude of yours is exactly why so many folks don't run in terror anymore when the race card is played.

Victims of racism come in ALL skin colors . Blacks are not singularly innocent of perpetrating it . Whites have been victimized by racism as well.

This Anglo has been the victim of racism on several occasions.

Been physically attacked because I was white .
Been verbally assaulted because I was white .
Been the target of ( repeated ) theft.
Wife has been treated rudely because she was white.
Son #2 was an obvious victim of job discrimination .

And my experiences are not unusual.

Now there are whole generations of whites who have been victimized. They know , better than any talking head on CNN , that bigots come in ALL skin colors . That discrimination goes in ALL directions .

They have lived through it .

So don't kid yourself princess ....you don't have any special claim to victimhood .
Great post, Canada. And as a white person, I can personally confirm that it's true your experiences are NOT unusual. The notion perpetuated by the left and the MSM that it's only "people of color" that experience prejudice, discrimination, and racism is wholly untrue and absurd.
cinque
fadskier said:

Pretty sure that most Christians who voted for Trump voted due to one (or all) of three reasons: 1. Hillary 2. abortion 3. Supreme Court.

Really not that hard to understand unless you just don't want to understand...but anyway, what evangelicals are blinded by Trump? again, names?
Hillary is a professing Christian while Trump is not. Why vote against her?
JXL
The Democratic Party's outreach to the evangelical community:

We hate you! You're a bunch of ignorant Bronze Age bigots! We despise everything you stand for! I don't understand why you aren't voting for me!
fadskier
No names? Interesting.
ScottS
Too much of a generic topic lacking specifics.
J.R.
To answer the OP. It's fairly simple....I give you...in no particular order (not true...biggest offender and hater first)
1) Golem
2)Mikey
3)Old 83

Keep on showing us all how Christian you are!
J.R.
fadskier said:

All not well thought out reasons.
fadskier
J.R. said:

fadskier said:

All not well thought out reasons.
Why are you saying that those are not well thought out reasons?
Canada2017
cinque said:

fadskier said:

Still another moronic question by the spam bot simply to generate responses.
Sam Lowry
Canada2017 said:

cinque said:

fadskier said:

And so it did.
Canada2017
Sam Lowry said:

Canada2017 said:

cinque said:

fadskier said:

And so it did.

Indeed

But I don't mind letting our resident bigot collect another nickel .

As long as other posters are made aware this spam bot isn't interested in a real dialogue. Rather merely attempting to generate responses and get paid .
cinque
Sam Lowry said:

Canada2017 said:

cinque said:

fadskier said:

And so it did.
He's not like you. He can't help himself.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.