Why Trump's Presidency Matters

6,562 Views | 83 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Oldbear83
BrooksBearLives
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Oldbear83 said:

BrooksBearLives said:

YoakDaddy said:

BrooksBearLives said:

YoakDaddy said:

BrooksBearLives said:

YoakDaddy said:

quash said:

Trump's presidency matters because it exposed how weak-kneed Congress has been, and just how far an authoritarian in the WH can go. And how partisan values mean so much less than party.

I'd go as far to say that Trump's presidency matters because it's demonstrated that there's zero difference between the establishments of either party and he's a threat to the political oligarchy's misdeeds of the last 30 years being aired out.

This is nihilism.

Also:

That's not what nihilism means. Glad you're learning new vocabulary tho!

Nope.

"Nihilism is the belief that all values are baseless and that nothing can be known or communicated. It is often associated with extreme pessimism and a radical skepticism that condemns existence. A true nihilist would believe in nothing, have no loyalties, and no purpose other than, perhaps, an impulse to destroy"

Your insistence that we don't need to hold trump accountable because all politicians are bad so nothing matters is nihilism.

Read a ****ing book.

To say that something "matters" like I just did about his presidency is the opposite of nihilism. Read a fulking dictionary. I didn't insist not holding him accountable. Those are your words; not mine. You merely disagreed with the rest of my comment there's zero difference between the establishments of either party because he's a threat to the political oligarchy.

Oh my God. You are constantly wrong. Just... all the time.

You're arguing about my characterization on this thread (and still wrong) because you can't defend your president or choices.

So typical.

You voted for our worst person. He's not a competent human being. And you'd rather argue (wrongly) semantics than engage.
Your post was nothing but spittle and rant, BBL.

Maybe you should take a step back and let your inner adult come up with your next answer?

Oh I'm sorry. Are y'all the only ones allowed to rant?

Can't help but notice you're continuing the string of Trump Supporters refusing to do anything but defend his CATASTROPHIC incompetence last week.
YoakDaddy
BrooksBearLives said:

YoakDaddy said:

BrooksBearLives said:

YoakDaddy said:

BrooksBearLives said:

YoakDaddy said:

quash said:

Trump's presidency matters because it exposed how weak-kneed Congress has been, and just how far an authoritarian in the WH can go. And how partisan values mean so much less than party.

I'd go as far to say that Trump's presidency matters because it's demonstrated that there's zero difference between the establishments of either party and he's a threat to the political oligarchy's misdeeds of the last 30 years being aired out.

This is nihilism.

Also:

Nope.

"Nihilism is the belief that all values are baseless and that nothing can be known or communicated. It is often associated with extreme pessimism and a radical skepticism that condemns existence. A true nihilist would believe in nothing, have no loyalties, and no purpose other than, perhaps, an impulse to destroy"

Your insistence that we don't need to hold trump accountable because all politicians are bad so nothing matters is nihilism.

Read a ****ing book.

To say that something "matters" like I just did about his presidency is the opposite of nihilism. Read a fulking dictionary. I didn't insist not holding him accountable. Those are your words; not mine. You merely disagreed with the rest of my comment there's zero difference between the establishments of either party because he's a threat to the political oligarchy.

You're arguing about my characterization on this thread (and still wrong) because you can't defend your president or choices.

So typical.

You voted for our worst person. He's not a competent human being. And you'd rather argue (wrongly) semantics than engage.

I can't help it if you don't comprehend a simple definition then project your incomprehension onto others.
BrooksBearLives
YoakDaddy said:

BrooksBearLives said:

YoakDaddy said:

BrooksBearLives said:

YoakDaddy said:

BrooksBearLives said:

YoakDaddy said:

quash said:

This is nihilism.

Also:

Nope.

Read a ****ing book.

So typical.

I can't help it if you don't comprehend a simple definition then project your incomprehension onto others.

Ever call your wife crazy?
Oldbear83
BrooksBearLives said:

Oldbear83 said:

BrooksBearLives said:

YoakDaddy said:

BrooksBearLives said:

YoakDaddy said:

BrooksBearLives said:

YoakDaddy said:

quash said:

This is nihilism.

Also:

Nope.

Read a ****ing book.

So typical.

Maybe you should take a step back and let your inner adult come up with your next answer?

Can't help but notice you're continuing the string of Trump Supporters refusing to do anything but defend his CATASTROPHIC incompetence last week.
More spittle. You rally need to cut back on that, BBL.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
BrooksBearLives
Oldbear83 said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Oldbear83 said:

BrooksBearLives said:

YoakDaddy said:

BrooksBearLives said:

YoakDaddy said:

BrooksBearLives said:

YoakDaddy said:

quash said:

This is nihilism.

Also:

Nope.

Read a ****ing book.

So typical.

K. We both know that's not going to happen.

Judging from the quality of your posts, I think you're comfortable with disappointment.
Oldbear83
BrooksBearLives said:

Oldbear83 said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Oldbear83 said:

BrooksBearLives said:

YoakDaddy said:

BrooksBearLives said:

YoakDaddy said:

BrooksBearLives said:

YoakDaddy said:

quash said:

This is nihilism.

Also:

Nope.

Read a ****ing book.

So typical.

K. We both know that's not going to happen.

Judging from the quality of your posts, I think you're comfortable with disappointment.
From spittle to projection for BBL. I guess projectile vomiting is next for BBL.

Better get the holy water ready.
Sam Lowry
quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

This Time the Yanks Are Deadly Serious
By Patrick Buchanan October 15, 2019, 12:01 AM

President Donald Trump could have been more deft and diplomatic in how he engineered that immediate pullout from northeastern Syria.

Yet that withdrawal was as inevitable as were its consequences.

And whenever the Americans did leave, the Kurds, facing a far more powerful Turkey, were going to have to negotiate the best deal they could with Syria's Bashar Assad.

It was Russia that stepped in to broker the deal whereby the Kurds stood down and let the Syrian army take over their positions and defend Syria's border regions against the Turks.

Today, the Middle East and world have been awakened to the reality that when Trump said he was ending everlasting commitments and bringing U.S. troops home from "endless wars," he was not bluffing.

The Saudis got the message when the U.S., in response to a missile and drone strike from Iran or Iranian-backed militias, which shut down half of Riyadh's oil production, did nothing.

Said Washington, this is between Saudi Arabia and Iran.

Thus, the Saudis have begun negotiating with the Houthi rebels, with whom they have been at war in Yemen since 2015. And they are seeking talks with Iran. A diplomatic resolution of quarrels seems to have come to commend itself to Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, once he learned that the Americans do not regard Saudis as we do NATO allies.

Where the Americans spent much of the Cold War ruminating about an "agonizing reappraisal" of commitments to malingering allies, this time the Yanks may be deadly serious.

This time, the Americans may really be going home.

https://www.theamericanconservative.com/buchanan/this-time-the-yanks-are-deadly-serious/

It could have been done without leaving the vacuum that Russia filled.
That would have been quite a trick. Syria has been a Russian outpost for generations.
Osodecentx
TexasScientist said:

Is Trump in his "great and unmatched wisdom" going to "obliterate Turkey's economy? What kind of sane person says things like this anyway?
Indeed
quash
Sam Lowry said:

quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

President Donald Trump could have been more deft and diplomatic in how he engineered that immediate pullout from northeastern Syria.

And whenever the Americans did leave, the Kurds, facing a far more powerful Turkey, were going to have to negotiate the best deal they could with Syria's Bashar Assad.

It was Russia that stepped in to broker the deal whereby the Kurds stood down and let the Syrian army take over their positions and defend Syria's border regions against the Turks.

Today, the Middle East and world have been awakened to the reality that when Trump said he was ending everlasting commitments and bringing U.S. troops home from "endless wars," he was not bluffing.

The Saudis got the message when the U.S., in response to a missile and drone strike from Iran or Iranian-backed militias, which shut down half of Riyadh's oil production, did nothing.

Thus, the Saudis have begun negotiating with the Houthi rebels, with whom they have been at war in Yemen since 2015. And they are seeking talks with Iran. A diplomatic resolution of quarrels seems to have come to commend itself to Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, once he learned that the Americans do not regard Saudis as we do NATO allies.

Where the Americans spent much of the Cold War ruminating about an "agonizing reappraisal" of commitments to malingering allies, this time the Yanks may be deadly serious.

https://www.theamericanconservative.com/buchanan/this-time-the-yanks-are-deadly-serious/

That would have been quite a trick. Syria has been a Russian outpost for generations.
Not in Kurdistan, which is the real estate in question.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
YoakDaddy
BrooksBearLives said:

YoakDaddy said:

BrooksBearLives said:

YoakDaddy said:

BrooksBearLives said:

YoakDaddy said:

BrooksBearLives said:

YoakDaddy said:

quash said:

This is nihilism.

Also:

Nope.

Read a ****ing book.

So typical.

Ever call your wife crazy?

Are you identifying as a woman now?
Sam Lowry
quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

Which has been semi-autonomous for less than a decade. If we're there to counter Russian influence, we don't need to be there.
quash
Sam Lowry said:

quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

Which has been semi-autonomous for less than a decade. If we're there to counter Russian influence, we don't need to be there.
We never should have been there. The Iraq War mistake is still paying dividends.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Oldbear83
quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

We never should have been there. The Iraq War mistake is still paying dividends.
Just curious - what do you think would be the regional situation if we had stayed out of Iraq?
quash
Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

Just curious - what do you think would be the regional situation if we had stayed out of Iraq?
In that region? No way to know. As ATL has pointed out strongmen do provide stability, just hard to watch stability, so Hussein is probably still in power. Would Iran have been able to support a Sunni majority uprising? Who knows. Would Iraq have nukes? Probably not. Syria probably doesn't flare up, no caliphate.

Just guesses though.
Oldbear83
quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

In that region? No way to know. As ATL has pointed out strongmen do provide stability, just hard to watch stability, so Hussein is probably still in power. Would Iran have been able to support a Sunni majority uprising? Who knows. Would Iraq have nukes? Probably not. Syria probably doesn't flare up, no caliphate.

Just guesses though.
That's unreasonably optimistic, I think

As much as I dislike the situation left by the invasion, I think it's foolhardy to think Iran would have behaved during all this - Bush/Obama's use of US troops has prevented a lot of Iranian ambition and mischief, and no one should believe Hussein would have not caused more trouble. Don't forget we found several terrorist training camps in Iraq, so while ISIS as we know it would have been different, Al Qaeda would certainly have been a much bigger problem.

My guess is that if we had not invaded, many folks would be complaining now that we should have invaded.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.