The Board Has Become Worthless

7,412 Views | 102 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Florda_mike
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Limited IQ Redneck in PU said:

Thanks for posting the charts.

Both charts seem to show a downward trend starting with Obama. and has continued through Trump. Please show my error in saying the most recent downward trend started with Obama and has continued with Trump. I think I said good on both of them.

The line seems to show a pretty steady downward plunge. If one president gets credit so should the other.

The Trump fluffers will ignore the trend during Obamas terms and give praise Trump. The only 2 or 3 real Dems here might point out the Obama got it started and all Trump has done is kept the rate falling. My opinion both have done ok but both have probably benefited from many factors beyond their control.

Thank goodness Donald Trump was able to find that "magic wand" that was so elusive to President Obama for eight years. I would play you his video clip, but I am too tired. God is good.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
https://www.factcheck.org/2018/09/trumps-bungled-twitter-attack-on-obama/
I have found theres only two ways to go:
Living fast or dying slow.
I dont want to live forever.
But I will live while I'm here.
Florda_mike
How's this?

"Maybe you should take a permanent break from the board!"
Florda_mike

https://www.factcheck.org/2018/09/trumps-bungled-twitter-attack-on-obama/

Ok how's this for ya

"Obama was a Godsend for the economy. Private business was energized when he was elected and flourished through his 8 years. Economy hasn't felt the same since he left!"

Do you agree?
Florda_mike
Cinque hasn't posted since 1-12!

But ....... shhhhhh
fadskier

fadskier said:

Still nothing?

Okay, how about this...

1. Record low unemployment
2. Record low unemployment among all minority groups

Here's more...
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/washington-secrets/trumps-list-289-accomplishments-in-just-20-months-relentless-promise-keeping

Didn't realize that there were so many!
Ok. I have always thought unemployment was a result of many factors so I have stayed out of employment discussions.

I remember on the old board when Obama's unemployment numbers were good. The Obama haters claimed the jobs he created were only low level entry jobs so the statistics were meaningless. The same side now worship Trump for the same type results.

The truth is the employment trend started during Obama's reign has continued with Trump Good on Obama and good on Trump. I don't really give either too much credit. The rate is cyclical. It will at some point rise again.

I am not saying that Trump is responsible for everything on the list. I also agree with you that there were "Obama haters" that could not give him credit for anything. But what is comical is that people like jinx, cinque, and others on this board cannot give Trump credit for anything and then accuse people who support Trump of blind support.

I've said it many, many times...me (as well as others I know) voted for Trump because he was a better candidate to lead our country than Hillary. We do not approve of everything he does or says. However, I see not advantage to coming on a university message board and telling this small world what I dislike about the president. I didn't do it with Bush or Obama and I won't start now.
Salute the Marines - Joe Biden
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Florda_mike said:

But ....... shhhhhh
Cinque and you both probably have the same amount of Baylor hours/credits/degrees.
Oldbear83
LIQR: "My opinion both have done ok but both have probably benefited from many factors beyond their control."

I disagree. While there are always parts of the economy which are out of a President's control, there are also basic behaviors which directly impact things like consumer confidence, industry stability, and government interference.

Some require a deft hand to do right. Reagan and Trump, for example, are both champions of freeing business from needless regulation and bureaucracy, but need to be mindful of preventing things like pollution or monopolies. Obama and Clinton, on the other hand, were champions of advancing new technologies, but they sometimes damaged existing industries to advance risky alternatives, like Solyndra.

I would suggest that a mix of unemployment rates, GDP and consumer confidence indexes provide useful barometers for the economic performance of a President. There is a fair amount of cherry-picking done, of course, by partisans to promote one story or dismiss another.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
I dont disagree . My conversation was limited to the unemployment rate. We both agree factors beyond any presidents control factor into the rate. Foreign economies have a big effect.

I didn't do the math but it looks like Obama brought the rate down faster than Trump. The line is steeper. I am not implying Obama was a better president. He was better than I thought he might be. I didn't vote for him either time.

Doc Holliday
The increase in job openings over Mr. Trump's first 21 months averaged an impressive 75000 a month. Over Mr. Obama's last 21 months in office- the number of job openings increased an average of 900 a month.

During Mr. Obama's last 21 months- the number of employed Americans increased an average of 157000 a month. Under Mr. Trump- the increase had accelerated to 214000 a month- a 36% improvement.

In Mr. Obama's final 21 months- weekly earnings rose an average of $1.31 a month. Under Mr. Trump- weekly earnings have increased an average of $1.84 cents a month: a 40% improvement that's come mostly since tax reform took effect in January.

Over Mr Trump's first 21 months- weekly earnings have grown an average of $2.31 a month- a 76% increase over Mr. Obama's last 21 months.

In the 28 months since Trump took office- the private sector had created almost 5.2 million new jobs. By contrast- in Obama's last 28 months in office- jobs in the private sector climbed only 3.2 million

Manufacturing jobs climbed 470000 in the 28 months since Trump took office. They went up by a meager 18000 in Obama's last 28 moths in office

Goods-producing jobs shot up by 1.2 million in Trump's first 28 months- compared with a paltry 241-000 gain for Obama's last 28 months.. Construction jobs climbed 629-000 under Trump- after a 352-000 gain under Obama in those same time spans. Over those same time frames: the number of unemployed dropped by 1.7 million under Trump- compared with a measly 327000 decline for Obama.

Annual GDP Growth under Barack Hussein Obama:

2009 2.5%
2010 + 2.6%
2011 +1.6%
2012 +2.2%
2013 +1.8%
2014 +2.5%
2015 +2.9%
2016 +1.6%

Avg: 1.59%

Obama averaged 1.59% GDP growth over an 8 year term. I don't call that growth- I call that stagnation. Without $5 Trillion of Quantitative easing- and 8 years of zero interest rates- courtesy of the Fed- we would have probably been in and out of recession his entire term.

LINK
Booray
Doc Holliday said:

The increase in job openings over Mr. Trump's first 21 months averaged an impressive 75000 a month. Over Mr. Obama's last 21 months in office- the number of job openings increased an average of 900 a month.

During Mr. Obama's last 21 months- the number of employed Americans increased an average of 157000 a month. Under Mr. Trump- the increase had accelerated to 214000 a month- a 36% improvement.

In Mr. Obama's final 21 months- weekly earnings rose an average of $1.31 a month. Under Mr. Trump- weekly earnings have increased an average of $1.84 cents a month: a 40% improvement that's come mostly since tax reform took effect in January.

Over Mr Trump's first 21 months- weekly earnings have grown an average of $2.31 a month- a 76% increase over Mr. Obama's last 21 months.

In the 28 months since Trump took office- the private sector had created almost 5.2 million new jobs. By contrast- in Obama's last 28 months in office- jobs in the private sector climbed only 3.2 million

Manufacturing jobs climbed 470000 in the 28 months since Trump took office. They went up by a meager 18000 in Obama's last 28 moths in office

Goods-producing jobs shot up by 1.2 million in Trump's first 28 months- compared with a paltry 241-000 gain for Obama's last 28 months.. Construction jobs climbed 629-000 under Trump- after a 352-000 gain under Obama in those same time spans. Over those same time frames: the number of unemployed dropped by 1.7 million under Trump- compared with a measly 327000 decline for Obama.

2009 2.5%
2010 + 2.6%
2011 +1.6%
2012 +2.2%
2013 +1.8%
2014 +2.5%
2015 +2.9%
2016 +1.6%

Obama averaged 1.59% GDP growth over an 8 year term. I don't call that growth- I call that stagnation. Without $5 Trillion of Quantitative easing- and 8 years of zero interest rates- courtesy of the Fed- we would have probably been in and out of recession his entire term.

LINK
Try being intellectually honest once in your life. That Obama average includes a negative growth rate of 2.5% in 2009. The linked article clearly marks that fact by putting a minus sign in front of the 2.5% for the first year.

"Somehow" the minus got left off your cut and paste. My guess is that absence occurred because the cut and paster realized that the actual negative number would highlight that the average growth in GDP under Obama was materially effected by the fact that he took over in the middle of a deep recession. Take 2009 out and the average GDP growth rate under Obama was 2.2%.

Trump took over in middle of a long mild recovery, goosed that recovery through tax cuts that have again exploded the deficit and is now seeing the recovery return to the level he inherited. Obama took over in the midst of a disaster and executed a classic Keynesian response to that disaster.
Forest Bueller_bf
Employment to population ratio for ages 25-54 bottomed out with Obama at 75%, but raised to about 78.2% when the 2016 election took place, it has since risen to 80.4%

It has been on an upward trend with both Obama and Trump, seems like the biggest difference is Trump has brought back a bunch of manufacturing jobs which pay better than service jobs. That has contributed to wages increasing a great deal, which is major.
riflebear
Doc Holliday said:

2009 2.5%
2010 + 2.6%
2011 +1.6%
2012 +2.2%
2013 +1.8%
2014 +2.5%
2015 +2.9%
2016 +1.6%

LINK
Do we know who posted that and where they got those #'s? I've seen most of them before but I'm sure someone will question those even though they can be found online at various sites. Excellent post.
riflebear
Booray said:

Doc Holliday said:

2009 2.5%
2010 + 2.6%
2011 +1.6%
2012 +2.2%
2013 +1.8%
2014 +2.5%
2015 +2.9%
2016 +1.6%

LINK
Try being intellectually honest once in your life. That Obama average includes a negative growth rate of 2.5% in 2009. The linked article clearly marks that fact by putting a minus sign in front of the 2.5% for the first year.

"Somehow" the minus got left off your cut and paste. My guess is that absence occurred because the cut and paster realized that the actual negative number would highlight that the average growth in GDP under Obama was materially effected by the fact that he took over in the middle of a deep recession. Take 2009 out and the average GDP growth rate under Obama was 2.2%.

Trump took over in middle of a long mild recovery, goosed that recovery through tax cuts that have again exploded the deficit and is now seeing the recovery return to the level he inherited. Obama took over in the midst of a disaster and executed a classic Keynesian response to that disaster.
I agree the 1st year should be averaged out. But you conveniently ignore all the other statistics they provided over the past 1 1/2 yrs under Obama where most everything was trending downward or staying stagnant.

I am curious - what specifically did Obama do to boost the economy back in 2010/2011? You could have put bugs bunny in office and the economy would have skyrocketed because it was literally in the negative and in the gutter. It had no where to go but up. There are countless liberals and fair economists that have written many articles that this economy is the best it's been in decades directly from many things Trump & his administration has done. Not just tax cuts. Deregulation - repatriating funds, etc
whitetrash
riflebear said:

I am curious - what specifically did Obama do to boost the economy back in 2010/2011? You could have put bugs bunny in office and the economy would have skyrocketed because it was literally in the negative and in the gutter. It had no where to go but up.
Bugs Bunny could have done a better job than Obama, as long as he didn't have to take a left turn at Albuquerque.
Booray
riflebear said:

Booray said:

Doc Holliday said:

2009 2.5%
2010 + 2.6%
2011 +1.6%
2012 +2.2%
2013 +1.8%
2014 +2.5%
2015 +2.9%
2016 +1.6%

LINK

I agree the 1st year should be averaged out. But you conveniently ignore all the other statistics they provided over the past 1 1/2 yrs under Obama where most everything was trending downward or staying stagnant.

I am curious - what specifically did Obama do to boost the economy back in 2010/2011? You could have put bugs bunny in office and the economy would have skyrocketed because it was literally in the negative and in the gutter. It had no where to go but up. There are countless liberals and fair economists that have written many articles that this economy is the best it's been in decades directly from many things Trump & his administration has done. Not just tax cuts. Deregulation - repatriating funds, etc
I could take apart the whole article. It is an obvious cherry picking of statistics. We use 21 months in some instances, 28 months in others. Sometimes we compare the end of Obama's term to the start of Trump's term, other times we compare the start of Obama's term to the start of Trump's term. The sample sizes are disproportionate. Obama's dealt with divided government for 6 years, Trump as dealt with divided government for a year.

Wage growth is obviously going to be suppressed when there is a larger supply of unemployed. So it is illogical to compare the wage growth under two presidents who took over under such remarkably different economic circumstances.

The claim of tremendous manufacturing growth is built on one year (FY '18). Neither FY 17 nor FY 19 saw anything remotely comparable. If it is not sustainable, Trump has a huge advantage including one good year in 3 rather than 1 good year in 4 or 8.

Finally, the article ignores key factors outside employment. Reduced taxes and regulation has been Trump's recipe. Undoubtedly those have been key factors in the employment picture. They have also been key factors in exploding the deficit, reducing the amount of Americans who have medical insurance and making it more difficult to assess and combat climate change.

As I said in my original post, Obama executed a classic Keynesian response to the recession through government spending and urging easy money. He did so over howls for austerity that many other countries listened to. Had Obama done what the Republicans wanted: (reduce taxes and spending), we would have an even bigger debt and the recession would have been much deeper and prolonged, possibly a depression.

I am not completely anti-Trump in this analysis. It is difficult to sustain a recovery as long as this one has been. I have no doubt we were over regulated and elements of the corporate tax structure were ludicrous. Limited immigration has to have an effect on labor supply. All I am saying is that a balanced, intellectually consistent analysis reveals strengths and weaknesses in each man's program. On the whole, I think most of what Trump is doing is counter productive long-term and his short term gains, while very real, are overstated.
Oldbear83
Booray: "I am not completely anti-Trump in this analysis"

Only 98%, like the media.

And your last shot in the comment was a BS piece of rant, with nothing but spite behind it.
Booray
Oldbear83 said:

And your last shot in the comment was a BS piece of rant, with nothing but spite behind it.
You are bizarre. I specifically mention three areas where I thought Trump's changes were defensible to some degree. I say that both he an Obama had strength's and weaknesses. And then conclude that I don't think trump's program is good long-term while acknowledging short term gains.

And that is "spiteful" to you? Wow.

Sort of proves the OP's point.
Oldbear83
Booray said:

Oldbear83 said:

You are bizarre. I specifically mention three areas where I thought Trump's changes were defensible to some degree. I say that both he an Obama had strength's and weaknesses. And then conclude that I don't think trump's program is good long-term while acknowledging short term gains.

And that is "spiteful" to you? Wow.

Sort of proves the OP's point.
No, you are simply making excuses to pop off and call it analysis.

CNN and Fox do the same thing.

For one thing, it should be obvious that actions taken now are seldom quantifiable in effect to great detail for several years, so while it's fair to discuss Trump's effect on GDP and Unemployment now, it's not fair to pretend you know the long-term effects. Same for those who used the same tactics against Obama and Bush.

The closest reasonable statement to rational analysis, would at least cite the historical effects of similar actions taken between 20 and 50 years ago - long enough in the past that we can understand the effect and context, but not so long ago that economic conditions would be too dissimilar to now. Instead, you did exactly what I said - you popped off in order to take a shot at Trump in closing.

Florda_mike

Florda_mike said:

But ....... shhhhhh
Cinque and you both probably have the same amount of Baylor hours/credits/degrees.

Did Cinque's dad get a Baylor Accounting degree in 3 years?

Does Cinque have a HS or college diploma, either one?

But you're right about one thing though! If it doesn't have Baylor at the top, it ain't worth the paper it's written and that surely makes you better than me, doesn't it?

Does your Baylor degree give you a superior, or inferior opinion of where you are in life today?
Florda_mike
Hey guys just keep it simple and do this

Go out and find 10-15 businessmen that have owned their own businesses 35-40 years

Ask them if Trump or Obama was better for their businesses

Report back to board on it

Thanks
Doc Holliday
Booray said:

Doc Holliday said:

2009 2.5%
2010 + 2.6%
2011 +1.6%
2012 +2.2%
2013 +1.8%
2014 +2.5%
2015 +2.9%
2016 +1.6%

LINK

2.2% is still well below what he could have accomplished with better policies.
Trump's job stats, unemployment rates and market gains are historical and beyond the norm.

I do think it's strange that Obama said what Trump is accomplishing was not possible without a magic wand.
Florda_mike
Florda_mike said:

Hey guys just keep it simple and do this

Go out and find 10-15 businessmen that have owned their own businesses 35-40 years

Ask them if Trump or Obama was better for their businesses

Report back to board on it

Thanks
blackie
Getting back to the OP....this place is worthless. It is an echo chamber with a bunch of name calling. You don't even see the religion or science discussions much any more that were actually sometimes interesting. This continual barrage of left-wing and right-wing questionable and slanted website articles or the latest spiel from MSNBC or Fox really isn't worth anyone's time. Now, I only come over here once or so a week, and I don't see anything of any value. Regardless of how you think left or right and then condone your side and vilify the other, you are not in the majority. The majority doesn't want this my way or the high-way ****. The world is still full of reasonable people, just not here so much.

Spend your time over on the sports boards. At least there you can get some legitimate information.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Florda_mike said:

Florda_mike said:

But ....... shhhhhh

But you're right about one thing though! If it doesn't have Baylor at the top, it ain't worth the paper it's written and that surely makes you better than me, doesn't it?

Does your Baylor degree give you a superior, or inferior opinion of where you are in life today?
I am very proud of my Baylor degree and the work I did to receive it. When I was a young man the Baylor degree opened many doors. As I progressed my other degrees, certifications , experience and job performance came more into play.

I have conversed with Cinque but dont know anything about his education.

Florda_mike

Florda_mike said:

Florda_mike said:

But ....... shhhhhh

I am very proud of my Baylor degree and the work I did to receive it. When I was a young man the Baylor degree opened many doors. As I progressed my other degrees, certifications , experience and job performance came more into play.

I have conversed with Cinque but dont know anything about his education.

I experienced the same success although Baylor wasn't at the top of mine. It could have been Baylor or just about any other w both of us under different circumstances

I know you worked hard for your Baylor one but it being Baylor isn't the reason for your success imo. You've sacrificed and persevered to get you where you are, just like others, and you still do

College degrees from anywhere don't guarantee a successful life in my experience. The person behind it is what matters
Canada2017
Doc Holliday said:

2009 2.5%
2010 + 2.6%
2011 +1.6%
2012 +2.2%
2013 +1.8%
2014 +2.5%
2015 +2.9%
2016 +1.6%

LINK

Quality information.

Persuasive information.

Unless one wants to fundamentally alter our country's capitalistic / Christian / two party traditions

into a socialist , atheist, one party governmental monolith
that crushes the freedoms of the individual.

In such cases Doc....your data will be gleefully ignored .
Doc Holliday
Canada2017 said:

Doc Holliday said:

2009 2.5%
2010 + 2.6%
2011 +1.6%
2012 +2.2%
2013 +1.8%
2014 +2.5%
2015 +2.9%
2016 +1.6%

LINK

Quality information.

Persuasive information.

Unless one wants to fundamentally alter our country's capitalistic / Christian / two party traditions

Millions of Americans have been taught to hate our country's capitalistic / Christian / two party traditions since mid century.
Canada2017
Doc Holliday said:

Canada2017 said:

Doc Holliday said:

2009 2.5%
2010 + 2.6%
2011 +1.6%
2012 +2.2%
2013 +1.8%
2014 +2.5%
2015 +2.9%
2016 +1.6%

LINK

Quality information.

Persuasive information.

Millions of Americans have been taught to hate our country's capitalistic / Christian / two party traditions since mid century.

Since the late 60's.....and it's gathered speed over the last 20 years .
J.R.
Midnight Rider said:

This board has become worthless. (Not that it ever was worth much). Typical thread:

riflebear: "Dems suck!".

Doc Holliday: "I agree. Dems suck!".

fadskier: "They really suck!"

Baylor FTW: "I agree with riflebear, Doc, and fadskier."

Florida Mike: "I agree also."

Chorus: "Dems suck! They really really suck!".

(Don't even bother trying to have a reasoned discussion with these guys).
Precisely why I left. You can add a few more in that list too. Y'all have fun.
Florda_mike
J.R. said:

Midnight Rider said:

This board has become worthless. (Not that it ever was worth much). Typical thread:

Well ...... Bye
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
J.R. said:

Midnight Rider said:

Actually, things here are really not that bad. We have differing opinions. Some are more passionate than others defending their viewpoints. There is a single poster here that I truly believe is racist and destructive. I will not mention his name but everyone knows who I'm talking about. This poster has been absent the last couple of weeks and the board has been much more pleasant.

No, my conservative self does not often agree with our liberal leaning brethren, but at the end of the day, we're still friends. We all survived eight years of Obama and I'm sure we will survive eight years of Trump. How damn boring would this place be if we all thought alike? I enjoy the discussion.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Florda_mike
Canada2017 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Canada2017 said:

Doc Holliday said:

2009 2.5%
2010 + 2.6%
2011 +1.6%
2012 +2.2%
2013 +1.8%
2014 +2.5%
2015 +2.9%
2016 +1.6%

LINK

Quality information.

Persuasive information.

Since the late 60's.....and it's gathered speed over the last 20 years .

And that's why I'm sick and tired of it and not taking it anymore, here or elsewhere

I know where we are as a country as I've lived since they murdered JFK in order start LBJ's Great Society. Since then democrats have been hell bent on destroying lives so their voters have to depend on democrats to fix what they did to us. From most all black families having fathers in the home to practically none now. Sickening

Yeah I know my enemy and it's democrats, especially the socialists attached the party(obama, Bernie, Injun woman, and most all prez candidates) but anyone still pumping democrat sunshine is against us
Osodecentx
Midnight Rider said:

Why are you here?
Oldbear83
Osodecentx said:

Midnight Rider said:

Why are you here?
Attention, most likely.

Why else make a point of announcing you are leaving?
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.