Coronavirus updates here

435,487 Views | 4582 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Jacques Strap
TexasScientist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Oldbear83 said:

BaylorBJM said:

Oldbear83 said:

You're funny, TS. I already check WHO and CDC regularly, but you might actually post a link which supports your specific contention, rather than imply that the site's general web site means you have done so.

I must conclude you cannot support your assumptions.
83- just as recently as 72 hours ago you were stating the cancelation of SXSW, the Houston Rodeo, and other similar large gatherings of hundreds of thousands of tourists was "idiotic" and "ludicrous".

Just clarifying if this is still your official stance?
It was indeed idiotic to close the Rodeo; anyone who could be infected would already have been exposed, since the Rodeo was not one day but well past half its calendar schedule. It was an act which did nothing to help people but damaged hundreds of small businesses.

As for SXSW, while it happened in advance of the event, that cancellation was pretty obviously due to so many major players pulling out. The city of Austin made a face-saving move in political terms, although the mayor only later realized the dam,age to local businesses caused by his decision.

Thousands of new people come to the Rodeo everyday. Other than the vendors, the same people don't attend every day. A vendor who is exposed or who is carrying the virus can expose new people every day, in addition to new infected people attending every day. It's precisely a place like the Rodeo where transmission can occur exponentially. What you want to do is what causes the problem Italy is now facing.
LTbear
At this point Oldbear must be trolling. There's no way he/ she doesn't understand that. Incredibly basic understanding of pathogen spread.
BaylorBJM
Oldbear83 said:

BaylorBJM said:

Oldbear83 said:

You're funny, TS. I already check WHO and CDC regularly, but you might actually post a link which supports your specific contention, rather than imply that the site's general web site means you have done so.

83- just as recently as 72 hours ago you were stating the cancelation of SXSW, the Houston Rodeo, and other similar large gatherings of hundreds of thousands of tourists was "idiotic" and "ludicrous".

It was indeed idiotic to close the Rodeo; anyone who could be infected would already have been exposed, since the Rodeo was not one day but well past half its calendar schedule. It was an act which did nothing to help people but damaged hundreds of small businesses.

As for SXSW, while it happened in advance of the event, that cancellation was pretty obviously due to so many major players pulling out. The city of Austin made a face-saving move in political terms, although the mayor only later realized the dam,age to local businesses caused by his decision.

I genuinely appreciate your response but you just qualified the **** out of your response. And most of it is inaccurate to boot. But overall, your response is a big "yes, they're idiots for cancelling the events" despite almost every doctor and medical professional in the western world praising municipalities for doing the same.

I like you as a poster on the other boards but for the life of me I can't understand your logic the past few weeks with respect to this event. In one post you ask others to cite and document their positions but then you'll completely dismiss what the vast majority of the experts suggest to do in the very next.

For the life of me I can't fathom how you're endlessly reconciling these constant conflicts.
PartyBear
Governor DeWine of Ohio May be shutting down all restaurants and bars in the state.
nein51
PartyBear said:

Governor DeWine of Ohio May be shutting down all restaurants and bars in the state.

He better have one hell of an economic recovery plan in place when he puts those people out of business which is what forced shut downs will do never mind the impact to all the employees who won't be getting paid.
Bearitto
nein51 said:

PartyBear said:

He better have one hell of an economic recovery plan in place when he puts those people out of business which is what forced shut downs will do never mind the impact to all the employees who won't be getting paid.

This is all truly madness. We are talking about destroying our entire economy in a futile attempt to hold back the inevitable tide for nothing but a vain hope of prolonging the already long lives of a small fraction of people in their 70s and 80s.

If you truly want to see selfishness, look no further than that selfsame demographic telling everyone else to stop living and give up their children's futures to buy the aged a couple more birthdays to complain about.
nein51
We probably agree a little but man you don't like old people do you??
Bearitto
nein51 said:

I love old people. If statistics hold up, 50.5% of them won't even get symptoms. Circa 15% of them (the ones with the shortest lifespans already) have a concern.

I don't love selfishness. I'd lay my life down for my kids (and most of their friends) in a second because I know that they deserve a shot at life. I can't understand the selfishness it takes to demand the world stop moving so a handful of people can delude themselves into thinking they can live forever. We can't. We all die. When your tab comes due, settle up. Don't pretend you are short on cash and demand the 8 olds front you the necessary.
BaylorTaxman
Bearitto said:

nein51 said:

I love old people. I don't love selfishness. I'd lay my life down for my kids (and most of their friends) in a second because I know that they deserve a shot at life. I can't understand the selfishness it takes to demand the world stop moving so a handful of people can delude themselves into thinking they can live forever. We can't. We all die. When your tab comes due, settle up. Don't pretend you are short on cash and demand the 8 olds front you the necessary.
For someone who does not love selfishness, you appear to be the most selfish person on this site. Many of these people whom you would just let die spent much of their adult lives sacrificing for their family, including kids and then grandkids. This is not to mention many other groups of people may be at risk. And because you can't emotionally handle the stock market being down for a few months, you are fine with not taking the steps necessary to slow down the spread of this virus.

I understand not everyone has the courage or mental toughness to deal with adversity. But your cowardice is at an extreme.
Bearitto
BaylorTaxman said:

Bearitto said:

nein51 said:

I love old people. I don't love selfishness. I'd lay my life down for my kids (and most of their friends) in a second because I know that they deserve a shot at life. I can't understand the selfishness it takes to demand the world stop moving so a handful of people can delude themselves into thinking they can live forever. We can't. We all die. When your tab comes due, settle up. Don't pretend you are short on cash and demand the 8 olds front you the necessary.
For someone who does not love selfishness, you appear to be the most selfish person on this site. Many of these people whom you would just let die spent much of their adult lives sacrificing for their family, including kids and then grandkids. This is not to mention many other groups of people may be at risk. And because you can't emotionally handle the stock market being down for a few months, you are fine with not taking the steps necessary to slow down the spread of this virus.

I understand not everyone has the courage or mental toughness to deal with adversity. But your cowardice is at an extreme.

That's a fun attempt at a twist. It's a complete failure, but fun.

How old are you? Just curious.
PartyBear
Yep advocating that the last of the WWII generation among others just die. Pretty Shxxty to do to the folks who created the foundation of modern America the young enjoy.
Bearitto
PartyBear said:

Yep advocating that the last of the WWII generation among others just die. Pretty Shxxty to do to the folks who created the foundation of modern America the young enjoy.

Lovely straw man you have there.

Is it just that difficult for you guys to think or have you decided you'd rather use your band width for other things like televised golf and women's basketball?

LTbear
BaylorTaxman said:

Bearitto said:

nein51 said:

I can see you're quoting Bearitto. Just block him, he's just a myopic idiot. The blue indicator on threads tells me he's been responding to several of my posts but I don't have to read his trash. He's obviously some jackass who thinks he's being edgy, or obviously doesn't have kids who are immuno-compromised or anything like that. He's a troll looking for reaction. Just put him on ignore.
blackie
PartyBear said:

Party - see my PM to you.
Oldbear83
quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

BaylorBJM said:

Oldbear83 said:

What? Are you under the impression that the same people go to the rodeo every day? Most people pick one day based on the concert or an event. If you are a HS senior in FFA you can only sell your animal once...
I live in Houston. Most of the rodeo people, whether exhibitors or competitors, are indeed there every day. You are thinking of the concert goers, which make up a minority of the people there.

Cancelling the rodeo would make sense on day one or two, provided there was evidence of contagion. The actual decision was political, not precautionary.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
BearlyHeardFrom
Curious, are you the same LTBear that posted on shaggy?
Osodecentx
LTbear said:

At this point Oldbear must be trolling. There's no way he/ she doesn't understand that. Incredibly basic understanding of pathogen spread.
I think he believes it.

He should consider posting less.

Most now Ignore
Canada2017
LTbear said:

Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

wuzzybear said:

HashTag said:

TexasScientist said:

Dr. Ashish JHA, Director of the Harvard Global Health Institute gave an interesting interview this morning on MSNBC. He said this morning the CDC is the best public health agency in the world, and this is not the CDC's fault. He said the problem is the administration has tried to down play this and has not taken this disease seriously. He said the president was saying a week ago this is not much worse than the flu, and ignoring public health officials and Dr. Fauci's warnings. He said that senior level officials at the FDA stopped development of a test in this country until very recently. For some reason we rejected the WHO test, made available almost two months ago, in favor development of our own test, and we have had one failure after another, which he said is inexplanable. Health care proffesionals and his friends at CDC don't understand what is happening at the senior most levels. Baffeling. He said that you cannot get a test today in Boston if your doctor needs to order a test, and that very few people are getting tested. He said there are theories the president doesn't want to know how many cases there are, and thinks this will just go away. Johns Hopkins is making their own tests now developed at Mayo. State health officials say no one knows where the numbers of one million test kits are coming from or where they will be coming from that Pence is quoting. He said if you call up your doctor today in Boston to see if you can get tested the answer is no. He said others are starting to buildi their own tests now because no one knows when those tests are going to be arriving and there is no faith the Federal Government is going to be able to deliver on the most basic thing that Iran, South Korea, and Taiwan can deliver to its people. What was promised is not being delivered.
We get TexasScientist, you hate Trump. Trump is evil. Trump is stupid. Trump is incompetent. Everything Trump does is wrong and he can do nothing right. EVERY action he takes, EVERY word he speaks is vile.

Does that about sum it up? I hate to break it to you scooter, but I'll be, along with millions of others, voting for him in November.

I hope you can live through your TDS for an extra 4 years.
Me too: He cannot even type TRUMP into his sililoquy. The early China travel ban was genius. The European travel ban is genius. If you fly over don't expect to be coming home anytime soon. The goal is now to contain it first. I am a retired cardiothoracic RN and just like in the hospital we have to do the same thing in the country...keep it from spreading and the earlier the better. Once it goes into community spread mode it is extemely hard to control it and it forces everyone to be socially distant. I work from home so I am already self-quarantined. I have all my groceries delivered to the front porch and since I have numerous boxes of latex gloves I wear them everywhere that I go when I must be in contact with others and the things they touch.

His post is just ignorance. He's mad he is pres. If one watched CNN and MSLSD all day and night you are going to get brainwashed. Even Fox is a bit iffy these days, so I have pretty much switched over to OANN (One Americal News) where you will get the absolute truth from Liz Wheeler, Alex Saldi?, and Graham Ledger.

The China travel ban was a good start, but it is and was not enough. The new travel ban will help, but the virus is out in the community now in this country. We have a lot of ground lost that can't be made up.

Trump was criticized for his travel ban against China in January . Biden said it was xenophobic.

Do you seriously believe the American people, press , and Democratic Party leadership would have supported Trump if he attempted to ban all international flights in December ?
In all seriousness, who gives a **** if the media would have supported him? He's the president, he's there to lead and protect the American people, not worry about if the reporters on TV are going to say mean things about him. He's the ******* president, not some child who needs to be coddled and told he's a good boy.

Give it a rest .....you know damn the American people would NEVER supported a total international travel ban back in December.
Liberals, Dems and Trump haters would have gone completely nuts . There would been challenges in the courts within hours.

Sick to death of this 20-20 hindsight hypocrisy.
LTbear
Canada2017 said:

LTbear said:

Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

wuzzybear said:

HashTag said:

TexasScientist said:

Dr. Ashish JHA, Director of the Harvard Global Health Institute gave an interesting interview this morning on MSNBC. He said this morning the CDC is the best public health agency in the world, and this is not the CDC's fault. He said the problem is the administration has tried to down play this and has not taken this disease seriously. He said the president was saying a week ago this is not much worse than the flu, and ignoring public health officials and Dr. Fauci's warnings. He said that senior level officials at the FDA stopped development of a test in this country until very recently. For some reason we rejected the WHO test, made available almost two months ago, in favor development of our own test, and we have had one failure after another, which he said is inexplanable. Health care proffesionals and his friends at CDC don't understand what is happening at the senior most levels. Baffeling. He said that you cannot get a test today in Boston if your doctor needs to order a test, and that very few people are getting tested. He said there are theories the president doesn't want to know how many cases there are, and thinks this will just go away. Johns Hopkins is making their own tests now developed at Mayo. State health officials say no one knows where the numbers of one million test kits are coming from or where they will be coming from that Pence is quoting. He said if you call up your doctor today in Boston to see if you can get tested the answer is no. He said others are starting to buildi their own tests now because no one knows when those tests are going to be arriving and there is no faith the Federal Government is going to be able to deliver on the most basic thing that Iran, South Korea, and Taiwan can deliver to its people. What was promised is not being delivered.
We get TexasScientist, you hate Trump. Trump is evil. Trump is stupid. Trump is incompetent. Everything Trump does is wrong and he can do nothing right. EVERY action he takes, EVERY word he speaks is vile.

Does that about sum it up? I hate to break it to you scooter, but I'll be, along with millions of others, voting for him in November.

Me too: He cannot even type TRUMP into his sililoquy. The early China travel ban was genius. The European travel ban is genius. If you fly over don't expect to be coming home anytime soon. The goal is now to contain it first. I am a retired cardiothoracic RN and just like in the hospital we have to do the same thing in the country...keep it from spreading and the earlier the better. Once it goes into community spread mode it is extemely hard to control it and it forces everyone to be socially distant. I work from home so I am already self-quarantined. I have all my groceries delivered to the front porch and since I have numerous boxes of latex gloves I wear them everywhere that I go when I must be in contact with others and the things they touch.

His post is just ignorance. He's mad he is pres. If one watched CNN and MSLSD all day and night you are going to get brainwashed. Even Fox is a bit iffy these days, so I have pretty much switched over to OANN (One Americal News) where you will get the absolute truth from Liz Wheeler, Alex Saldi?, and Graham Ledger.

The China travel ban was a good start, but it is and was not enough. The new travel ban will help, but the virus is out in the community now in this country. We have a lot of ground lost that can't be made up.

Trump was criticized for his travel ban against China in January . Biden said it was xenophobic.

Do you seriously believe the American people, press , and Democratic Party leadership would have supported Trump if he attempted to ban all international flights in December ?
In all seriousness, who gives a **** if the media would have supported him? He's the president, he's there to lead and protect the American people, not worry about if the reporters on TV are going to say mean things about him. He's the ******* president, not some child who needs to be coddled and told he's a good boy.

Give it a rest .....you know damn the American people would NEVER supported a total international travel ban back in December.
Liberals, Dems and Trump haters would have gone completely nuts . There would been challenges in the courts within hours.

Canada, I don't understand your obsession with defending the president. As I said in another reply to you, his ban of China travel was good, measures taken the past couple days are good though late, his downplaying the seriousness of this for weeks was quite bad, and the dismantling of the pandemic response team years ago was very bad. Some good, plenty of bad.

But, we agree on the far more important thing, which is the seriousness of this ordeal. That's far more important to me. Hope you and yours are staying safe.
Waco1947
The coronavirus does not recognize lying, tweeting, wishing as effective deterrentS..
Germs blow past lies - Every time
Oldbear83
Waco1947 said:

The coronavirus does not recognize lying, tweeting, wishing as effective deterrentS..
Sounds like Waco is speaking from personal experience there.
Canada2017
LTbear said:

Canada2017 said:

LTbear said:

Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

wuzzybear said:

HashTag said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada, I don't understand your obsession with defending the president. As I said in another reply to you, his ban of China travel was good, measures taken the past couple days are good though late, his downplaying the seriousness of this for weeks was quite bad, and the dismantling of the pandemic response team years ago was very bad. Some good, plenty of bad.

But, we agree on the far more important thing, which is the seriousness of this ordeal. That's far more important to me. Hope you and yours are staying safe.

I have criticized Trump numerous times on this forum. His narcissism, childish tweeting and unpresidential language irritate me . Was furious when Trump launched that missile strike against Syria over an alleged gas attack. Could have led to nuclear war .

Have been intensely watching this pandemic develop since December. Interested early on for three reasons: my life long passion for American history, my various readings of the 1918 Spanish Influenza , and the absolute certainty that another murderous pandemic was inevitable due to overpopulation along with the speed of international travel .

I have found the actions of this particular president in relationship to this pandemic overwhelming positive..... certainty better than earlier presidents involving other such outbreaks.

Perfect...no

You are an intelligent individual. Certainly you realize that the strict PRE EMPTIVE actions necessary to prevent a virulent pandemic from entering an open society such as ours is virtually impossible.

The same is true for any democracy.

Suspect I am older than you . This virus is a major threat to my wife and I. Very concerned for us as well as people throughout the world . Without a vaccine the death toll in 3rd world countries could easily be in the millions .

Sincere best wishes to you and those you care about . Thank you for the civility of our discussion.

boognish_bear
Expert says in a scenario like this speed of taking action is more important than perfection

RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Last Monday, my company issued a moratorium on all business travel. (I am a traveling salesman) . Two hours ago, my boss texted me and said everyone is to work from home and not come to the office until further notice.

Screw all of this. I'm going fishing.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
nein51
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Last Monday, my company issued a moratorium on all business travel. (I am a traveling salesman) . Two hours ago, my boss texted me and said everyone is to work from home and not come to the office until further notice.

That sounds good...but what are you supposed to do from home? Call customers who aren't there?
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
nein51 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

That sounds good...but what are you supposed to do from home? Call customers who aren't there?

Yes. My biggest decision next week will be whether or not I buy live shrimp or live croakers. Gonna drink some Coronas and smoke a few fine cigars. I am gonna unplug from all this hype and craziness. I don't want to participate.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
PartyBear
The CDC just encouraged nationwide that no gatherings of more than 50 people take place for 2 months.
nein51
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

nein51 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Yes. My biggest decision next week will be whether or not I buy live shrimp or live croakers. Gonna drink some Coronas and smoke a few fine cigars. I am gonna unplug from all this hype and craziness. I don't want to participate.

I'm in a similar position. I just told my team on Friday to prepare to be pulled off the road at some point and start thinking about how to be effective without being in front of customers.
Oldbear83
PartyBear said:

The CDC just encouraged nationwide that no gatherings of more than 50 people take place for 2 months.
So the CDC wants to eliminate rush hour traffic. Good luck with that ...
PartyBear
Oldbear83 said:

PartyBear said:

I'm going to assume this is an attempt at humor.
Oldbear83
PartyBear said:

Oldbear83 said:

PartyBear said:

I'm going to assume this is an attempt at humor.
Yeah, it is. We need something to lighten the mood. Sorry if that did not work.

Props to HEB by the way. There was no milk, eggs or bread to be had in their stores yesterday, nor bottled water, but all of that was in stock today (I needed bread). They are doing a great job of keeping supplies in stock, and in so doing they are helping calm folks and send a message of confidence.
Jack Bauer
PartyBear said:

No school for 2 months will be a clusterf.
boognish_bear
Jack Bauer said:

PartyBear said:

No school for 2 months will be a clusterf.

Absolutely.....the ripple effects through society of closing schools for 2 months will be gigantic and will be especially devastating in working class communities and communities in poverty.
Waco1947
Oldbear83 said:

Waco1947 said:

Sounds like Waco is speaking from personal experience there.
Nope! Just watching the president flailing about
Waco1947 ,la
GoneGirl
Canada2017 said:

LTbear said:

Canada2017 said:

LTbear said:

Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

wuzzybear said:

HashTag said:

TexasScientist said:

I have criticized Trump numerous times on this forum. His narcissism, childish tweeting and unpresidential language irritate me . Was furious when Trump launched that missile strike against Syria over an alleged gas attack. Could have led to nuclear war .

Have been intensely watching this pandemic develop since December. Interested early on for three reasons: my life long passion for American history, my various readings of the 1918 Spanish Influenza , and the absolute certainty that another murderous pandemic was inevitable due to overpopulation along with the speed of international travel .

I have found the actions of this particular president in relationship to this pandemic overwhelming positive..... certainty better than earlier presidents involving other such outbreaks.

Perfect...no

You are an intelligent individual. Certainly you realize that the strict PRE EMPTIVE actions necessary to prevent a virulent pandemic from entering an open society such as ours is virtually impossible.

The same is true for any democracy.

Suspect I am older than you . This virus is a major threat to my wife and I. Very concerned for us as well as people throughout the world . Without a vaccine the death toll in 3rd world countries could easily be in the millions .

Sincere best wishes to you and those you care about . Thank you for the civility of our discussion.

Spend some time tonight and repost every post critical of Trump you've ever posted. Should take you 5 minutes.
First Page Last Page
Page 21 of 131

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.