Coronavirus updates here

435,796 Views | 4582 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Jacques Strap
Florda_mike
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Big Pharma and medical community is a giant conspiracy and you know it too!
LTbear
Florda_mike said:

Big Pharma and medical community is a giant conspiracy and you know it too!

Big pharma is ****ed up in more ways than I can list. That's not what I was talking about. Forget it.
Florda_mike
LTbear said:

Florda_mike said:

LTbear said:

PartyBear said:

It appears that the death rate here is running at about 1.6% thus far based on confirmed cases and the death number.

It seems like the past few days it's been growing, settling near 2%, but the actual case load is of course much higher than the confirmed, as tests are still ridiculously hard to get in many parts of the country. My wife saw a patient (not hers, but briefly saw and looked through their info) that she is 100% certain is positive, but because she (the patient) isn't considered a high risk patient, her doctors couldn't order the test. Tell many restrictions in order to save available tests (which on face value is a good thing, just still a complete failure of test production).

We depend on doctors advicewaytoo much because we think they're so smart. All the know is what they're taught and it doesn't include certain cures

Holy Christ. You literally are an idiot.

Dude I've had many business partnerships with doctors. Their business decisions show me plenty of what they lack. Typically naive people pleasers and bait to be taken to cleaners in business

They are what they are

But then you're married to one so .......
Forest Bueller_bf
TexasScientist said:

Urns in Wuhan far exceed death toll, raising more questions about China's tally

http://shanghaiist.com/2020/03/27/urns-in-wuhan-far-exceed-death-toll-raising-more-questions-about-chinas-tally/

Quote:

The news website Caixin.com reported that 5,000 urns had been delivered by a supplier to the Hankou Funeral Home in one day. That's double the number of deaths Xi's officials claimed. There have also been social media posts that have claimed all seven of Wuhan's funeral homes have handed out 3,500 urns every day.

Radio Free Asia reported that funeral homes told families who have lost loved ones to COVID-19 that they will try to "complete cremations before the traditional grave-tending festival of Qing Ming on April 5, which would indicate a 12-day process beginning on Mach 23. Such an estimate would mean that 42,000 urns would be given out during that time."

Another online estimate is based on the cremation capacity of funeral homes in Wuhan, which runs 84 furnaces with a capacity over a 24-hour period of 1,560 urns. That estimate puts the number of estimated deaths in Wuhan at 46,800.

One source close to the civil affairs bureau told RFA that the true number of deaths was a sensitive subject in the communist country and that authorities probably know the real number but are keeping it under wraps.

"There have been a lot of funerals in the past few days, and the authorities are handing out 3,000 yuan in hush money to families who get their loved ones remains laid to rest ahead of Qing Ming," Wuhan resident Chen Yaohui said. "It's to stop them keeing (a traditional expression of grief); nobody's allowed to keen after [the festival] Qing Ming has passed."

Chen told the news outlet that no one in Wuhan believes the official death toll is 2,500.
"Before the epidemic began, the city's crematoriums typically cremated around 220 people a day," he said, adding that during the epidemic, the government transferred cremation workers from around China to Wuhan to cremate bodies around the clock.

But, WHO praises the Chinese government.
LTbear
Florda_mike said:

LTbear said:

Florda_mike said:

LTbear said:

PartyBear said:

It appears that the death rate here is running at about 1.6% thus far based on confirmed cases and the death number.

It seems like the past few days it's been growing, settling near 2%, but the actual case load is of course much higher than the confirmed, as tests are still ridiculously hard to get in many parts of the country. My wife saw a patient (not hers, but briefly saw and looked through their info) that she is 100% certain is positive, but because she (the patient) isn't considered a high risk patient, her doctors couldn't order the test. Tell many restrictions in order to save available tests (which on face value is a good thing, just still a complete failure of test production).

We depend on doctors advicewaytoo much because we think they're so smart. All the know is what they're taught and it doesn't include certain cures

Dude I've had many business partnerships with doctors. Their business decisions show me plenty of what they lack. Typically naive people pleasers and bait to be taken to cleaners in business

They are what they are

That's nice dude. Yes, I am married to a brilliant one. She is not a business woman, but she, like her colleagues, actually knows medicine, which is the topic. The view you were called an idiot for is, without question, idiotic, and it had nothing to do with business deals or business decisions.
Oldbear83
Florda_mike said:

Oldbear83 said:

Florda, I don't mean to be rude, but picking fights with half the room is not a good way to build hope and optimism, either.

I know who they are

Give it time, you're trending same way I have over time

Hope that doesn't scare ya
** sigh **

Florda, this is a time of high emotion. What might pass for banter in normal conditions is taken more seriously in crisis conditions.

I think all of us here want a quick recovery with minimum casualties. I disagree with some of the actions taken, and grieve for the costs at different levels and of different kinds. Even when I understand with an action, I see problems with many of the assumptions.

That means that I will disagree somewhat with most here. For example, keeping distance does matter in protecting people from infection, especially since some can infect others when they show no signs themselves. That's why, even though my wife shows no symptoms from her trip to Hong Kong, she and I and our daughter have been self-quarantining. I do not want to take the chance of causing anyone to catch the virus, no matter how small the risk.

But with that said, I see the cost this virus is taking on real people. My company's receptionist, for example, cannot work because her duty does not allow her to work from home - so a single mom with a disabled son is losing paychecks because a judge - who is personally getting every penny of her pay, by the way - says she has to stay home. We had to let a temp employee go for the same reason, and she too is raising a family by herself but is now unemployed for no reason besides a judge's order.

The shutdown order is bull**** as put into place. I agree that restaurants and night clubs where hundreds of people would gather are a risk, but hundreds of people enter grocery stores at a time, while businesses which see less then 50 people in a day are shut down for no good reason. Liquor stores are designated "essential", no one can say why, but it's illegal to have a Bible study.

And we the people did not get to vote even once on this.

Like I said, there's some good reasons behind some of the actions, and there's some stupidity all around which gets sold as necessary just because somebody popular gets behind it.

I think discussion, even debate, is useful, but we should - all of us - take care to look for solutions, and to remember that we all have families, we all have worries, and we all want to find hope.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Florda_mike
LTbear said:

Florda_mike said:

LTbear said:

Florda_mike said:

LTbear said:

PartyBear said:

They are what they are

That's nice dude. Yes, I am married to a brilliant one. She is not a business woman, but she, like her colleagues, actually knows medicine, which is the topic. The view you were called an idiot for is, without question, idiotic, and it had nothing to do with business deals or business decisions.

Dude you don't get it

Doctors make mistakes, some willingly

And they cover well for each other for fear being sued

The ones I trust, over time, have helped me with tons of issues

But even they have weak spots but others have many more weak spots to a point I wouldn't go to em. And I'm not alone either

Do a business deal with 10 docs and maybe one will contribute their share
Jack Bauer
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/italy-could-be-free-of-new-covid-19-cases-by-may-16-experts-predict/ar-BB11XLll?ocid=spartanntp

Italy Could Be Free of New COVID-19 Cases by May 16, Experts Predict

Quote:

taly may be virtually free of new COVID-19 cases by the middle of May, statistical research has indicated
Experts from the Einaudi Institute for Economics and Finance (EIEF) carried out calculations using data from the Civil Protection Department on the rate of infections, concluding that the disease could be practically eliminated in the country within the period May 5 to May 16.
"We are going in the right direction and we must not change our strategy in the least. The return to normality will be a gradual process... the goal is to contain the situation now, and prevent further epidemic outbreaks, such as those seen in the North, and restore as much as possible a normal lifestyle," Higher Health Council president Franco Locatelli told reporters at a press conference.
LTbear
Florda_mike said:

LTbear said:

Florda_mike said:

LTbear said:

Florda_mike said:

LTbear said:

PartyBear said:

They are what they are

Dude you don't get it

But even they have weak spots but others have many more weak spots to a point I wouldn't go to em. And I'm not alone either

Dude, you don't get it. You suggested medical doctors weren't the best people to trust with regards to what medications are nonsense, what are helpful but not curative, and what are actually cures. You're deflecting only because you know it was idiotic.
Oldbear83
Jack Bauer said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/italy-could-be-free-of-new-covid-19-cases-by-may-16-experts-predict/ar-BB11XLll?ocid=spartanntp

Quote:

taly may be virtually free of new COVID-19 cases by the middle of May, statistical research has indicated
Experts from the Einaudi Institute for Economics and Finance (EIEF) carried out calculations using data from the Civil Protection Department on the rate of infections, concluding that the disease could be practically eliminated in the country within the period May 5 to May 16.
"We are going in the right direction and we must not change our strategy in the least. The return to normality will be a gradual process... the goal is to contain the situation now, and prevent further epidemic outbreaks, such as those seen in the North, and restore as much as possible a normal lifestyle," Higher Health Council president Franco Locatelli told reporters at a press conference.

Thanks Jack, we can all use good news, hope this turns out to be true.
LTbear
Jack Bauer said:

Quote:

Holy damn this would be awesome. Let's hope. It was terrifying there.
Forest Bueller_bf
Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

ATL Bear said:

Updated virus progression

March 19: 4,530 new cases, 57 new deaths
March 20: 5,594 new cases, 49 new deaths
March 21: 4,824 new cases, 46 new deaths
March 22: 9,339 new cases. 117 new deaths
March 23: 10,168 new cases. 140 new deaths.
March 24: 11,089 new cases. 225 new deaths.
March 25: 13,355 new cases. 247 new deaths.
March 26: 17,224 new cases. 268 new deaths.
March 27: 18,691 new cases. 401 new deaths.
March 28: 19,452 new cases. 525 new deaths
March 29: 18,882 new cases. 264 new deaths

Total cases (tested): 142,047
Total deaths: 2,484
Hey, maybe we'll lose our #1 ranking soon.
I'd be fine with us staying #1, if that meant everyone's death pace was in decline, followed by a falling case rate.
China is #1 of course. They will never be truthful about it.

US is doing much better with death rates than many Western Countries though, that's the number that matters.

If we are talking raw numbers 61 million got the swine flu, only 13,000 died.

This thing the medical authorities say is 3X as contagious as regular Flu though, I can't wait until this is done.
Jack Bauer
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/goldman-sees-even-deeper-u-080522193.html

Quote:

The world's largest economy will shrink an annualized 34% in the second quarter, compared with an earlier estimate of 24%, economists led by Jan Hatzius wrote in a report. Unemployment will soar to
15% by mid-year, up from a previous forecast of 9%, they wrote.

The economists, however, now expect a stronger recovery in the third quarter, with gross domestic product expanding 19%.

"Our estimates imply that a bit more than half of the near-term output decline is made up by year-end," they wrote. While there's a risk of longer-term fallout on income and spending, the aggressive action by the Federal Reserve and the government should help to contain this.
The new forecasts come days after President Donald Trump extended U.S. "social distancing" guidelines to contain the virus until the of April, abandoning a plan for an earlier end.
Forest Bueller_bf
Oldbear83 said:

Florda_mike said:

Oldbear83 said:

Florda, I don't mean to be rude, but picking fights with half the room is not a good way to build hope and optimism, either.

I know who they are

** sigh **

Florda, this is a time of high emotion. What might pass for banter in normal conditions is taken more seriously in crisis conditions.

I think all of us here want a quick recovery with minimum casualties. I disagree with some of the actions taken, and grieve for the costs at different levels and of different kinds. Even when I understand with an action, I see problems with many of the assumptions.

That means that I will disagree somewhat with most here. For example, keeping distance does matter in protecting people from infection, especially since some can infect others when they show no signs themselves. That's why, even though my wife shows no symptoms from her trip to Hong Kong, she and I and our daughter have been self-quarantining. I do not want to take the chance of causing anyone to catch the virus, no matter how small the risk.

But with that said, I see the cost this virus is taking on real people. My company's receptionist, for example, cannot work because her duty does not allow her to work from home - so a single mom with a disabled son is losing paychecks because a judge - who is personally getting every penny of her pay, by the way - says she has to stay home. We had to let a temp employee go for the same reason, and she too is raising a family by herself but is now unemployed for no reason besides a judge's order.

The shutdown order is bull**** as put into place. I agree that restaurants and night clubs where hundreds of people would gather are a risk, but hundreds of people enter grocery stores at a time, while businesses which see less then 50 people in a day are shut down for no good reason. Liquor stores are designated "essential", no one can say why, but it's illegal to have a Bible study.

Like I said, there's some good reasons behind some of the actions, and there's some stupidity all around which gets sold as necessary just because somebody popular gets behind it.

I think discussion, even debate, is useful, but we should - all of us - take care to look for solutions, and to remember that we all have families, we all have worries, and we all want to find hope.

Possibly Liquor stores are open because so many people with depression/anxiety etc. self medicate and are addicted basically to alcohol and if this was shut off from millions of people overnight there would be a huge increase in suicide, assault, child abuse etc. IDK. There has to be some reason we aren't privy to.
LTbear
Forest Bueller_bf said:

Oldbear83 said:

Florda_mike said:

Oldbear83 said:

I know who they are

** sigh **

Possibly Liquor stores are open because so many people with depression/anxiety etc. self medicate and are addicted basically to alcohol and if this was shut off from millions of people overnight there would be a huge increase in suicide, assault, child abuse etc. IDK. There has to be some reason we aren't privy to.

I'm not complaining that I can still get whiskey right now
Oldbear83
LTbear said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Oldbear83 said:

Florda_mike said:

Oldbear83 said:

I know who they are

** sigh **

To me, cynical as it may sound, the reason is simply that the judge passed an order that would be obeyed. Closing off individuals from jobs they have to have is one thing, but liquor is more important to people who are used to their luxuries.

LTbear
Oldbear83 said:

LTbear said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Oldbear83 said:

Florda_mike said:

Oldbear83 said:

I know who they are

** sigh **

To me, cynical as it may sound, the reason is simply that the judge passed an order that would be obeyed. Closing off individuals from jobs they have to have is one thing, but liquor is more important to people who are used to their luxuries.

I'm juuuust cynical enough to see how that could be the case
Forest Bueller_bf
Oldbear83 said:

LTbear said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Oldbear83 said:

Florda_mike said:

Oldbear83 said:

I know who they are

** sigh **

May be be right here. Honestly cutting off alcohol from many people would be a huge additional stress. Not something that is needed right now.
Forest Bueller_bf

Quote:

North Korea has portrayed emergency measures as an unqualified success in keeping COVID-19 out, despite sustained epidemics in neighbouring China and South Korea.

About 600 eye roll emoji's here. North Korea still reporting zero cases.
Oldbear83
Forest Bueller_bf said:

Quote:

North Korea has portrayed emergency measures as an unqualified success in keeping COVID-19 out, despite sustained epidemics in neighbouring China and South Korea.

Dear Healthy Leader also scored 18 holes in one in his round of golf today, before planting and harvesting a bumper crop of grain to feed the people.

Forest Bueller_bf
Crap, Andrews brother Chris Cuomo tested positive for Corona Virus.
Forest Bueller_bf
Oldbear83 said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Quote:

Dear Healthy Leader also scored 18 holes in one in his round of golf today, before planting and harvesting a bumper crop of grain to feed the people.

I really want to laugh here, but life sucks so bad for the North Korean people, it is difficult too.
ATL Bear
In Canada, dispensaries were deemed an essential business and are allowed to remain open during their shelter in place efforts. Dispensaries = weed shops.
LTbear
ATL Bear said:

In Canada, dispensaries were deemed an essential business and are allowed to remain open during their shelter in place efforts. Dispensaries = weed shops.

Colorado will soon be in an uproar for their essentials
quash
Florda_mike said:

LTbear said:

Florda_mike said:

LTbear said:

Florda_mike said:

LTbear said:

PartyBear said:

They are what they are

Dude you don't get it

Are you backing off your statement not to trust doctors on medical issues and limiting it to business deals? Because that would be the smart move.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
quash
Jack Bauer said:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/goldman-sees-even-deeper-u-080522193.html

Quote:

The world's largest economy will shrink an annualized 34% in the second quarter, compared with an earlier estimate of 24%, economists led by Jan Hatzius wrote in a report. Unemployment will soar to
15% by mid-year, up from a previous forecast of 9%, they wrote.

The economists, however, now expect a stronger recovery in the third quarter, with gross domestic product expanding 19%.

"Our estimates imply that a bit more than half of the near-term output decline is made up by year-end," they wrote. While there's a risk of longer-term fallout on income and spending, the aggressive action by the Federal Reserve and the government should help to contain this.
The new forecasts come days after President Donald Trump extended U.S. "social distancing" guidelines to contain the virus until the of April, abandoning a plan for an earlier end.

Hadn't clicked through on any of those Goldman-Sachs stories, they were headed by the 34% claim. Thanks for the excerpt about how quickly things might rebound.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Forest Bueller_bf
quash said:

Florda_mike said:

LTbear said:

Florda_mike said:

LTbear said:

Florda_mike said:

LTbear said:

PartyBear said:

They are what they are

Dude you don't get it

Are you backing off your statement not to trust doctors on medical issues and limiting it to business deals? Because that would be the smart move.
Shoot I don't trust anybody on business deals.

One of my best customers, a kid I had insured on his auto since he was 16, took the looong road to become a dentist, now about 40 and very accomplished with multiple owned Dental practices, told me he wished someone had told him what a pain in the ass it is to go into business deals with others. He is a naturally happy go luck free spirit of a guy, but man business has him stressed and less contented than he was when he was broke.
Bearitto
LTbear said:

Jack Bauer said:

Quote:

What percentage of their population died? I'm just trying to understand what your threshold is for being terrified.
ATL Bear
Bearitto said:

LTbear said:

Jack Bauer said:

Quote:

What percentage of their population died? I'm just trying to understand what your threshold is for being terrified.
Over 12,000 have died thus far in Italy from the virus.
TexasScientist
It's my understanding from contacts at ER in Shreveport, they are maxed out now and are going to a no one over 50 is elligible for a ventilator policy, and at the moment, they have no open ventilators.
LTbear
TexasScientist said:

It's my understanding from contacts at ER in Shreveport, they are maxed out now and are going to a no one over 50 is elligible for a ventilator policy, and at the moment, they have no open ventilators.

Jesus, I hope that's not true/ there was a misunderstanding in some relay of the message somewhere.
ATL Bear
Today might be ugly. New York has already reported over 8,000 new cases today and 208 deaths. They report multiple times a day.
ATL Bear
TexasScientist said:

Once again, we are failing to triage across hospitals leaving some jammed up and others with unused capacity. It's happening in the New York area also. I don't understand what the issue is with trying to do this?
Oldbear83
ATL Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

Once again, we are failing to triage across hospitals leaving some jammed up and others with unused capacity. It's happening in the New York area also. I don't understand what the issue is with trying to do this?
I suspect it comes down to power to make decisions. Every hospital belongs to a network, and even though a judge or politician may have authority to issue orders, how those orders are followed still comes down to decisions made by each hospital. COVID cases are not profitable for a hospital, so hospitals want to avoid them as much as they can and try to fill their beds with patients covered by insurance for ordinary procedures which will provide money.
TexasScientist

USA Today came out with an itneresting article today.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/03/27/scientists-track-coronavirus-strains-mutation/5080571002/
First Page Last Page
Page 34 of 131

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.