Coronavirus updates here

435,460 Views | 4582 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Jacques Strap
quash
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Aliceinbubbleland said:

quash said:

Graduated from a public HS in Houston: 35 languages spoken at home. I learned that after I left, had no idea while I was in school. We divided up by dress and interest groups.
Obviously you went to Memorial or Stratford in SBISD. I can't imagine any public high school in HISD that "only" had 35 languages. Back in 1960's Robert E Lee was exemplary. Today it has more languages then the United Nations and in need of closing. It is nothing more than a free lunch program.
Obviously I went to Lee/Wisdom. Class of '76.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
ATL Bear
Updated virus progression

March 19: 4,530 new cases, 57 new deaths
March 20: 5,594 new cases, 49 new deaths
March 21: 4,824 new cases, 46 new deaths
March 22: 9,339 new cases. 117 new deaths
March 23: 10,168 new cases. 140 new deaths.
March 24: 11,089 new cases. 225 new deaths.
March 25: 13,355 new cases. 247 new deaths.
March 26: 17,224 new cases. 268 new deaths.
March 27: 18,691 new cases. 401 new deaths.
March 28: 19,452 new cases. 525 new deaths
March 29: 18,882 new cases. 264 new deaths
March 30: 20,353 new cases. 573 new deaths.
March 31: 24,742 new cases. 912 new deaths.
April 1: 26,473 new cases. 1049 new deaths.
April 2: 29,874 new cases. 968 new deaths.

Total cases (tested): 244,877
Total deaths: 6,070

Texas:
March 30: 2,906 cases. 41 deaths.
March 31: 3,666 cases. 56 deaths.
April 1: 4,068 cases. 60 deaths
April 2: 4,823 cases. 77 deaths

New York:
March 30: 67,325 cases. 1,342 deaths.
March 31: 75,983 cases. 1,714 deaths.
April 1: 83,901 cases. 2,219 deaths. (505 today!)
April 2: 93,053 cases. 2,583 deaths.
Sam Lowry
ATL Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

Better than the thousands of deaths due to out of control spread overwhelming hospitals.
Better? It is out of control in one region in our country, and it's a region that's been on a lockdown for 2 weeks. Perhaps the measures don't really matter as much as we think.
There's no scenario where hospitals don't get overwhelmed. The question is how many, how much, and how soon. Those things do make a difference.
Aliceinbubbleland
quash said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

quash said:

Graduated from a public HS in Houston: 35 languages spoken at home. I learned that after I left, had no idea while I was in school. We divided up by dress and interest groups.
Obviously you went to Memorial or Stratford in SBISD. I can't imagine any public high school in HISD that "only" had 35 languages. Back in 1960's Robert E Lee was exemplary. Today it has more languages then the United Nations and in need of closing. It is nothing more than a free lunch program.
Did they still have the Baylor grads that taught History and English?

https://www.houstoniamag.com/news-and-city-life/2017/06/saying-goodbye-to-robert-e-lee-wisdom-high-school
quash
Aliceinbubbleland said:

quash said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

quash said:

Did they still have the Baylor grads that taught History and English?

https://www.houstoniamag.com/news-and-city-life/2017/06/saying-goodbye-to-robert-e-lee-wisdom-high-school

Not that I knew. I only had one English and one History teacher for the three years I was there.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Bearitto
riflebear said:

I swear I recall people here ridiculing Trump for suggesting this medicine was showing a lot of promise. Strange.
Florda_mike
Bearitto said:

riflebear said:

I swear I recall people here ridiculing Trump for suggesting this medicine was showing a lot of promise. Strange.

I've talked to 2 doctors that I know very well for a long time and both just say "there's not enough testing" yet on Hydroxychloroquine

If I'm on my death bed give me something that's worked even though "there's not enough testing!"

Shameful what they spout but both are anti Trumpers
LTbear
ATL Bear said:

Texas:

New York:
Of note, case numbers are showing higher death rates among the young in southern states, (Louisiana, Mississippi, Georgia, Alabama), with the current thought being that higher rates of diabetes, heart disease, obesity, etc. are putting those people more at risk.

So all y'all that live in Texas and eat your fried food every day, be careful (seriously; poorer health in general, not just severe underlying conditions, may put you more at risk).
TexasScientist
LTbear said:

ATL Bear said:

Texas:

New York:
Of note, case numbers are showing higher death rates among the young in southern states, (Louisiana, Mississippi, Georgia, Alabama), with the current thought being that higher rates of diabetes, heart disease, obesity, etc. are putting those people more at risk.

So all y'all that live in Texas and eat your fried food every day, be careful (seriously; poorer health in general, not just severe underlying conditions, may put you more at risk).
It won't surprise me if the area of highest death rate mirrors the stroke belt, for the very reason you cite above. Diet is the single most reason for all of the underlying conditions that have been identified with those at risk of Covid death.
quash
Bearitto said:

riflebear said:

I recall people saying it was untimely given the lack of proper testing. Still seems to be effective only in mild cases.
Osodecentx
quash said:

Bearitto said:

riflebear said:

I recall people saying it was untimely given the lack of proper testing. Still seems to be effective only in mild cases.
Few side effects, low toxicity

Why not?
Oldbear83
quash said:

Bearitto said:

riflebear said:

Even if that is true, since the overwhelming majority of C19 cases are mild, early use of the drug would ease the number of cases and workload on medical staff.

I agree that more testing is needed, but in an emergency 'good but not completely tested' beats the hell out of 'wait until we have something perfect, even if the wait kills people'.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
quash
Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Bearitto said:

riflebear said:

Even if that is true, since the overwhelming majority of C19 cases are mild, early use of the drug would ease the number of cases and workload on medical staff.

I agree that more testing is needed, but in an emergency 'good but not completely tested' beats the hell out of 'wait until we have something perfect, even if the wait kills people'.
Sure, all I was saying is that people here wanted larger trials first, not merely unsubstantiated hope.

Osodecentex, the argument as to side effects and toxicity is not the key element. Homeopathy has no side effects or toxicity. The danger is in passing up a valid treatment. At the moment there is no such therapeutic to pass up, so the trick is to see exactly how helpful and for whom. Also think the Right to Try law could come into play, just have to find a doctor willing to prescribe that drug.
Oldbear83
quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Bearitto said:

riflebear said:

Sure, all I was saying is that people here wanted larger trials first, not merely unsubstantiated hope.

Osodecentex, the argument as to side effects and toxicity is not the key element. Homeopathy has no side effects or toxicity. The danger is in passing up a valid treatment. At the moment there is no such therapeutic to pass up, so the trick is to see exactly how helpful and for whom. Also think the Right to Try law could come into play, just have to find a doctor willing to prescribe that drug.
There is evidence the drugs help, nothing so far that stands against it.

You are very good at rhetoric quash, not so much at consistency when you play at being 'libertarian'.
quash
Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Bearitto said:

riflebear said:

You are very good at rhetoric quash, not so much at consistency when you play at being 'libertarian'.
Sigh. There is nothing political about this particular issue.
Oldbear83
quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Bearitto said:

riflebear said:

Go check your dictionary, quash:

Politics (n) - the relationships within a group or organization that allow particular people to have power over others

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/politics

A libertarian would allow people to make their own decisions, not rely on authoritarian decision makers, as you do here.
Osodecentx
quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Bearitto said:

riflebear said:

I've already seen it. Friend in late 60's had all of the symptoms, including bilateral pneumonia. Trajectory looked bad, but never intubated or hospitalized. What valid treatment would you recommend?
Doc prescribed hydroxy cocktail. It is a week later, she is home and pronounces herself well.

That is anecdotal, but it is more than homeopathy. Maybe she would have gotten better without it. I'm sure there will be some studies published after this.

I think we agree that it causes no harm to try it.

I suspect that some of the skepticism out there is because Trump suggested it (not aimed at you)
quash
Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Bearitto said:

riflebear said:

Politics (n) - the relationships within a group or organization that allow particular people to have power over others

A libertarian would allow people to make their own decisions, not rely on authoritarian decision makers, as you do here.
Like when I mentioned the Right to Try Law?
Bearitto
quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Bearitto said:

riflebear said:

The entirety of virus related topics has been politicized by leftists. You knew that.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/after-mocking-trump-promoting-hydroxychloroquine-media-acknowleges-might-treat-coronavirus
ATL Bear
LTbear said:

ATL Bear said:

Texas:

New York:

Louisiana is the only state with a higher than average death rate in the South. Michigan, Washington, and New York have the highest CFR of states with at least 1000 cases. New York is running at about 3% with over 100,000 cases.
TexasScientist
Bearitto said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Bearitto said:

riflebear said:

The entirety of virus related topics has been politicized by leftists. You knew that.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/after-mocking-trump-promoting-hydroxychloroquine-media-acknowleges-might-treat-coronavirus
You forget that Trump dismissed the seriousness and downplayed the severity for 6 weeks, for political reasons.
Oldbear83
quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Bearitto said:

riflebear said:

Like when you keep insisting doctors need permission from government to try a medicine in literal life or death decisions.
quash
Bearitto said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Bearitto said:

riflebear said:

Yippee. What does that have to do with me?
quash
Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Bearitto said:

riflebear said:

Like when you keep insisting doctors need permission from government to try a medicine in literal life or death decisions.
Have not said that. Not once.
Oldbear83
TexasScientist said:

Bearitto said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Bearitto said:

riflebear said:

You forget that Trump dismissed the seriousness and downplayed the severity for 6 weeks, for political reasons.
Total BS.

You ought to go talk to Ms. Pelosi, who literally ripped up the State of the Union copy which included the President's suggestions on fighting the COVID virus at a time when Democrats were urging people to go to Mardi Gras in New Orleans and Chinese New Year gatherings in NYC.
Oldbear83
quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Bearitto said:

riflebear said:

Have not said that. Not once.
Go check your posts. Every damn one of them depends on government approval.
quash
ATL Bear said:

LTbear said:

ATL Bear said:

Texas:

New York:

Louisiana is the only state with a higher than average death rate in the South. Michigan, Washington, and New York have the highest CFR of states with at least 1000 cases. New York is running at about 3% with over 100,000 cases.
Did I see that an antibody test had been developed? Not sure how you go about administering that one, but it sure would help with the data.
Flaming Moderate
Good news. Growth rate continues to slow.

This week the day/day rates have been:

3/31 - 16.1%
4/1 - 13.8%
4/2 - 14.5%
4/3 - 12.3%

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/cases-in-us.html

Biggest concern is the mortality rate continues to increase.
LTbear
ATL Bear said:

LTbear said:

ATL Bear said:

Texas:

New York:

I specifically said death rate among younger patients
LTbear
LTbear said:

ATL Bear said:

LTbear said:

ATL Bear said:

Texas:

New York:

I specifically said death rate among younger patients. As in, young people appear to be more susceptible in the south than elsewhere.
Bearitto
quash said:

Bearitto said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Bearitto said:

riflebear said:

Yippee. What does that have to do with me?

Umm, in opposition to your statement, there is in fact something political about this particular issue
TexasScientist
Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Bearitto said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Bearitto said:

riflebear said:

Total BS.

You ought to go talk to Ms. Pelosi, who literally ripped up the State of the Union copy which included the President's suggestions on fighting the COVID virus at a time when Democrats were urging people to go to Mardi Gras in New Orleans and Chinese New Year gatherings in NYC.
His actions and his speech for the next six weeks is no different than encouraging people to go to Mardi Gras.

He said it was like the flu, the number of cases would be down to zero in a few days, that it would miraculously disappear by April, the virus was contained etc. etc. etc. He's on the record over and over downplaying the seriousness until his turnabout press conference last Sunday, March 29th.

The NYT has chronology of Trump's statements downplaying the virus here:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/03/18/us/trump-coronavirus-statements-timeline.html

riflebear
Oldbear83
TS is getting emotional again.
Whiskey Pete
Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Bearitto said:

riflebear said:

Yep, quash is no libertarian. If we has, he wouldn't hate Trump as much as he does.
First Page Last Page
Page 38 of 131

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.