Coronavirus updates here

432,756 Views | 4582 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Jacques Strap
BaylorBJM
How long do you want to ignore this user?
riflebear said:

BaylorBJM said:

The President just doubled down on the purposeful slowing down of tests.

I mean, I don't even know what to say.
People who actually believe that I just have nothing to say. How naive are you? Trump can't slow down the testing - the hospitals do the testing.

Thinking about this a little further, what's your response to Trump saying on three separate occasions he ordered less testing? To me, I can only think of two possible solutions:

1) Either Trump was lying about doing so,
Or
2) Trump was joking (despite saying this morning in an interview "I wasn't kidding.")
Booray
Flaming Moderate said:

I would like an honest perspective: how do you Democrat / progressive posters reconcile the "experts" telling people to protest despite the Wuhan virus?

Do you think it is slightly intellectually dishonest for criticizing people for wanting to earn a living but not to protest?
What expert told people to protest?
Booray
curtpenn said:

TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

SAN ANTONIO - A recent report from CNBC has named the San Antonio metropolitan area as one of the top five U.S. hotspots for COVID-19 cases as numbers and hospitalizations rose exponentially in the area over the past week.

According to a tweet from CNBC reporter Meg Tirrell, the San Antonio metro area had some of the fastest COVID-19 case growth in the nation last week.

Austin, Texas, also made the list and was ranked as the fifth hotspot for COVID-19 cases.

https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2020/06/20/san-antonio-metro-area-named-covid-19-hotspot-cnbc-reports/?__vfz=medium%3Dsharebar&fbclid=IwAR1AOUIIV0acLLtTWZjQmZ2G9R-XuR43zwn3YxUwf9OyHSs-JSxuwDkXAvs

We're definitely on a bad trend. Too many have been worrying about a second wave. I'm afraid we haven't finished the first wave yet.
Getting frustrated hearing most news outlets just reporting rises in cases with absolutely no context or data. One wonders how hard it would be to bring a little more analysis to bear. But, well... journalists (and maybe with an agenda)- so, there's that. Anyway, had a little time to kill so just did a little Excel work and entered the days and deaths for Dallas County (where I live) and easily plotted a simple linear regression and 7-day moving average for about 3 months of data I could find. Regardless of increase in "cases", fatalities are very nearly flat at just over 4 per day for the past couple of months. Will be curious to see how/if that changes going forward.
There are plenty of stories that talk about hospitalizations and/or increased positivty rates. The post above yours has lots of context. The virus is clearly on the upswing in Texas.
cinque

Abbott is warning that he could mandate SIP again if Trumpkins refuse to wear masks in public places and COVID hospitalizations continue to increase.
curtpenn
Booray said:

curtpenn said:

TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

SAN ANTONIO - A recent report from CNBC has named the San Antonio metropolitan area as one of the top five U.S. hotspots for COVID-19 cases as numbers and hospitalizations rose exponentially in the area over the past week.

According to a tweet from CNBC reporter Meg Tirrell, the San Antonio metro area had some of the fastest COVID-19 case growth in the nation last week.

Austin, Texas, also made the list and was ranked as the fifth hotspot for COVID-19 cases.

https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2020/06/20/san-antonio-metro-area-named-covid-19-hotspot-cnbc-reports/?__vfz=medium%3Dsharebar&fbclid=IwAR1AOUIIV0acLLtTWZjQmZ2G9R-XuR43zwn3YxUwf9OyHSs-JSxuwDkXAvs

We're definitely on a bad trend. Too many have been worrying about a second wave. I'm afraid we haven't finished the first wave yet.
Getting frustrated hearing most news outlets just reporting rises in cases with absolutely no context or data. One wonders how hard it would be to bring a little more analysis to bear. But, well... journalists (and maybe with an agenda)- so, there's that. Anyway, had a little time to kill so just did a little Excel work and entered the days and deaths for Dallas County (where I live) and easily plotted a simple linear regression and 7-day moving average for about 3 months of data I could find. Regardless of increase in "cases", fatalities are very nearly flat at just over 4 per day for the past couple of months. Will be curious to see how/if that changes going forward.
There are plenty of stories that talk about hospitalizations and/or increased positivty rates. The post above yours has lots of context. The virus is clearly on the upswing in Texas.

Saw that. Was speaking more to TV news as opposed to having to hunt around online, assuming the majority of the public is too ... well, disinclined to examine critically. Seems as if all we were hearing was soaring deaths in the early days. Seldom see anything about that now. Hence, did a little basic research on my own and concluded there is no significant increase in Dallas County fatalities over the last couple of months, regardless of increases in positive cases or hospitalizations. As stated, will be interesting to see how that plays out over time. Cynical enough to understand why news outlets don't lead with "fatality rate stays steady" as opposed to "cases spike".
Jacques Strap
I think the smart thing to do if you don't want to go backwards to a more locked down phase is wear a mask to the store, take your vitamin with zinc, wash your hands, etc. You know self preservation type stuff. It may not help but I don't think it will hurt.
BaylorBJM
BaylorBJM said:

riflebear said:

BaylorBJM said:

The President just doubled down on the purposeful slowing down of tests.

I mean, I don't even know what to say.
People who actually believe that I just have nothing to say. How naive are you? Trump can't slow down the testing - the hospitals do the testing.

Thinking about this a little further, what's your response to Trump saying on three separate occasions he ordered less testing? To me, I can only think of two possible solutions:

1) Either Trump was lying about doing so,
Or
2) Trump was joking (despite saying this morning in an interview "I wasn't kidding.")

@riflebear - what up?
blackie
Abbott now allowing mayors and counties to limit outdoor gatherings to less than 100 people and indicates more action will be taken if this doesn't turn around.

People, please wear your mask. It is not a political statement, it is the right thing to do.
Canada2017
Just found out my niece in North Carolina has been infected .

No sense of smell or taste , extreme fatigue, semi high fever .
No lung issues...yet .

53 years old .

Got it at Church ...she was wearing a mask .
LTbear
Canada2017 said:

No lung issues...yet .

53 years old .

Really sorry to hear that Canada. Will pray for her recovery.
Flaming Moderate
Booray said:

Flaming Moderate said:

I would like an honest perspective: how do you Democrat / progressive posters reconcile the "experts" telling people to protest despite the Wuhan virus?

Do you think it is slightly intellectually dishonest for criticizing people for wanting to earn a living but not to protest?
What expert told people to protest?
https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/05/health/health-care-open-letter-protests-coronavirus-trnd/index.html

1,400 or so.

"However, as public health advocates, we do not condemn these gatherings as risky for COVID-19 transmission. We support them as vital to the national public health and to the threatened health specifically of Black people in the United States. We can show that support by facilitating safest protesting practices without detracting from demonstrators' ability to gather and demand change. This should not be confused with a permissive stance on all gatherings, particularly protests against stay-home orders."

File under cannot make this stuff up.
Canada2017
LTbear said:

Canada2017 said:

No lung issues...yet .

53 years old .

Really sorry to hear that Canada. Will pray for her recovery.

Thank you.

She's a good gal.
quash
Canada2017 said:

No lung issues...yet .

53 years old .

She was wearing a mask, but was probably infected by someone who was not. Sorry to hear.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Canada2017
quash said:

Canada2017 said:

No lung issues...yet .

53 years old .

She was wearing a mask, but was probably infected by someone who was not. Sorry to hear.

Thanks

I don't know about that piece of the puzzle .

My Baylor doctor gave my wife and I some N-95 masks . Very grateful for them ( and him ).

Cloth masks are only approximately 20% effective.

Niece is doing ok but she's not out of the woods yet .
riflebear
Florda_mike
Still not understanding why the economy of our entire country is put at the whim of some government doctor

Why?
TexasScientist
Oldbear83 said:

Osodecentx said:

quash said:

You should think about posting less.

Hah
He would if he could but he can't so he won't
You two should consider being less fascist
Maybe you should look up the difinition for proper use of the term. Hurling derogatory epithets, when you don't have a cogent argument, doesn't win debate points, nor does it help your credibilty.
br53
Is this virus still around? It's summer time and 90 degrees every day, I thought it would be gone by now?
The battle is not yours, but God's.
2 Chronicles 20:15
TexasScientist
Florda_mike said:

Still not understanding why the economy of our entire country is put at the whim of some government doctor

Why?
Morbidity and fatalities. More like it is at the whim of the virus. 121,225 deaths and climbing.
br53
TexasScientist said:

Florda_mike said:

Why?
Morbidity and fatalities. More like it is at the whim of the virus. 121,225 deaths and climbing.

This is for florduh not TexasScientist.
How good will the economy be with no labor supply dip stick? You think those products and services will make and deliver themselves?
The battle is not yours, but God's.
2 Chronicles 20:15
nein51
br53 said:

Is this virus still around? It's summer time and 90 degrees every day, I thought it would be gone by now?

My guess is that it's never going away.
Osodecentx
Canada2017 said:

quash said:

Canada2017 said:

No lung issues...yet .

53 years old .

Thanks

My Baylor doctor gave my wife and I some N-95 masks . Very grateful for them ( and him ).

She is 100% sure she contracted virus in church?
Jacques Strap
Are new hospitalizations beginning to flatten?

Oldbear83
TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

Osodecentx said:

quash said:

Hah
Maybe you should look up the difinition for proper use of the term. Hurling derogatory epithets, when you don't have a cogent argument, doesn't win debate points, nor does it help your credibilty.
You get very defensive when your tactics are properly identified, TS.

And my credibility does not depend on your opinion, nor ever shall.

As for cogency, get back to me when you know how to produce some in your own posts.

Eye, speck, log, etc.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
quash
Canada2017 said:

quash said:

Canada2017 said:

No lung issues...yet .

53 years old .

Thanks

I wear a cloth mask (for others) and socially distance (for myself). I gave my N95s to my secretary, whose daughter is a federal prison guard but is provided no PPE. At a facility that has had four deaths.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
LTbear
Florda_mike said:

Why?
The basic answer to all your questions is that you've demonstrated time and time again that all basic, high-school level logic is completely beyond your grasp.
LTbear
riflebear said:

This was a delicate situation and I'm not sure what the right tactic was. Anyone with a modest understanding of biology or infectious respiratory diseases knew right from the start that masks were important, and across the Berkeley and Stanford campuses everyone was gathering up all their masks from labs (we even had lot of N-95's sitting around in labs that don't study pathogens at all) and took them to the local hospitals. I understand the public wanting to know the *real* situation with masks at the beginning, but I can also completely see that if that message was put out, a bunch of don't-give-a-damn selfish *******s would run out and stock up on more masks than they'll use for the next several years.
Osodecentx
TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

Osodecentx said:

quash said:

Hah
Credibility? There isn't any
Oldbear83
Osodecentx said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

Osodecentx said:

quash said:

Hah
Credibility? There isn't any
You should think more about what is written for you
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Canada2017
quash said:

Canada2017 said:

quash said:

Canada2017 said:

No lung issues...yet .

53 years old .

Thanks

I wear a cloth mask (for others) and socially distance (for myself). I gave my N95s to my secretary, whose daughter is a federal prison guard but is provided no PPE. At a facility that has had four deaths.

That is very good of you .

I gave my N-95 mask to my Korean son in law because he had to go to the emergency room with a serious infection .

My Baylor grad doctor then offered me a 2nd one when I had to have a colonoscopy.

Suggest we all get whatever needed now....because it's looking more and more likely all hell is going to break loose with a 2nd wave next fall.

Forget football,statues, and politics ....it's going to be about pure survival.

Flaming Moderate
br53 said:

Only during rioting and looting.
Flaming Moderate
https://www.wsj.com/articles/news-from-the-non-lockdown-states-11592954700?fbclid=IwAR180LKwP7iB_1VtY3l_Xe71WMGAzDRm-7uLt2LXSjg03gyFh8ds4ntFQhM

A new analysis by The Sentinel, a Kansas nonprofit, compares the 42 states that shut down most of their economies with the eight that did not. The latter group includes mostly rural states with some small metropolitan areas: North and South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Wyoming and Utah. Private employment on average fell by 7.8% between May 2019 and May 2020 in these states while plunging 13.2% in the others.

Rural state economies generally rely more on "essential" services like agriculture and food production, and some industries like energy and hospitality would have shed jobs regardless of the lockdowns. Still, private job losses were higher in states that locked down like Colorado (9.5%) compared to economically similar ones that didn't like Utah (4.6%).

Yet per-capita Covid fatalities in states that stayed open were on average about 75% lower than those that locked down. One reason is that deaths in most states, regardless of whether they locked down, have been concentrated in nursing home facilities and minority communities that have higher rates of underlying health conditions and multigenerational housing.
TexasScientist
Flaming Moderate said:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/news-from-the-non-lockdown-states-11592954700?fbclid=IwAR180LKwP7iB_1VtY3l_Xe71WMGAzDRm-7uLt2LXSjg03gyFh8ds4ntFQhM

A new analysis by The Sentinel, a Kansas nonprofit, compares the 42 states that shut down most of their economies with the eight that did not. The latter group includes mostly rural states with some small metropolitan areas: North and South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Wyoming and Utah. Private employment on average fell by 7.8% between May 2019 and May 2020 in these states while plunging 13.2% in the others.

Rural state economies generally rely more on "essential" services like agriculture and food production, and some industries like energy and hospitality would have shed jobs regardless of the lockdowns. Still, private job losses were higher in states that locked down like Colorado (9.5%) compared to economically similar ones that didn't like Utah (4.6%).

Yet per-capita Covid fatalities in states that stayed open were on average about 75% lower than those that locked down. One reason is that deaths in most states, regardless of whether they locked down, have been concentrated in nursing home facilities and minority communities that have higher rates of underlying health conditions and multigenerational housing.
That didn't work so well for Sweden.
Florda_mike
LTbear said:

Florda_mike said:

Why?
The basic answer to all your questions is that you've demonstrated time and time again that all basic, high-school level logic is completely beyond your grasp.

^^^ Irony?
Booray
Flaming Moderate said:

Another way of saying this is that per capita Covid deaths were less in states where social distancing is a way of life.

I am sure the rural countes in New York had much lower COvid per capita deaths than did NYC even though both suffered shut downs..
First Page Last Page
Page 87 of 131

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.