Coronavirus updates here

432,516 Views | 4582 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Jacques Strap
Booray
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Osodecentx said:

Booray said:

LTbear said:

bear2be2 said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Sure this is fake news .... you have to be a pretty closed-minded bigot to think the virus magically does not spread during close contact if you're protesting, looting, or rioting. I mean, this is in no way controversial. Sometimes digging in makes you look foolish.

https://www.newsweek.com/houston-protesters-begin-fall-ill-coronavirus-after-marching-george-floyd-1511066

Increasing numbers of Houston residents have reportedly been diagnosed with COVID-19 after attending protests against the death of George Floyd.

Large protests began in the city days after the death of Houston native Floyd, an unarmed black man who died while police custody in Minneapolis, Minnesota on May 25. Texas has been experiencing a surge of new COVID-19 cases. Harris County, which encompasses Houston, has been adding hundreds of new cases each day to the more than 17,000 total confirmed cases reported as of Monday.
Who here tried to convince you that protests weren't threats to spread COVID-19? You keep talking about these people like there were a bunch of them. From what I've seen, most on this board acknowledged the risk, weighed it against the legitimacy of the cause and formed their opinions accordingly.
He's been inexplicably stuck on this for quite some time. It's his new talking point.
Its not inexplicable and it will be the GOPs narrative in the fall campaign: The resurgent virus is the fault of leftist protesters.
You believe the protests didn't spread the disease?
Of course not. I am able to recognize that there are multiple causes to the resurgence. The protests are surely one of them.

But Flaming Moderate and others are going to act like the protests are the sole reason.
quash
Osodecentx said:

quash said:

Jacques Strap said:

Osodecentx said:

quash said:

Jacques Strap said:

Southern states are at least smarter than NY NJ CA etc. and don't force COVID into nursing homes.

https://www.upi.com/Health_News/2020/06/25/COVID-19-outbreaks-in-South-significant-may-be-less-deadly-CDC-says/1501593100903/

COVID-19 outbreaks in South 'significant,' may be less deadly, CDC says
Quote:

June 25 (UPI) -- Ongoing outbreaks of COVID-19 in Arizona, California, Florida and Texas are "significant," but the younger average age of confirmed cases in these states might mean the "consequences" will be less severe, U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention officials said Thursday.

Although California reported more than 7,000 new cases Wednesday, while Florida and Texas each added more than 5,000 and Arizona added 3,000, data from each of those states suggests that more than half of the new infections are in younger adults aged 20 to 49 years.

Ugh. Sugar & fast food

Quote:

For example, up to 40 percent of U.S. adults aged 20 to 39 are obese, which may place them at increased risk for complications for COVID-19, he said.

Nine of the top 10 hotspots in Texas are prisons/jails. High odds they were initially infected by staff. Real high.
I suppose prisoners have been locked down
I suppose family members that came in for visitation would be a second way to get it unless they are limited to talking on a phone thru a plexiglass window.
Every jail I've ever been in, with one unusual exception. The women's jail for McLennan Co. allows you in the same room, but not until the prisoner has been handcuffed to the table.
Harwell (I believe) on HWY 6 allows it (used to be a privately owned jail)
That one has way more security: drive between two locked gates, mirror sweep, park in locked yard, guard comes out and opens padlock, go to gate and show bar card, get buzzed in, check in, get buzzed into visitation hallway, talk on phone.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
BaylorBJM
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

jupiter said:

You wish. A couple of thousand sick Chinamen are not going to tank the world economy. Try harder. Come up with something a little more dramatic and creative. Thank you.

Oh man. This right here is a real doozy.
BaylorBJM
Oldbear83 said:

PartyBear said:

There are now 6 cases confirmed in Texas. The patients are quarantined at the Air Force base in SA.

Starting to sound like the part of Walking Dead that occurred when Rick was in a coma except the victims don't reanimate.
Remind me again, how many COVID-19 patients died in the US so far?

150,000 and counting.
Oldbear83
BaylorBJM said:

Oldbear83 said:

PartyBear said:

There are now 6 cases confirmed in Texas. The patients are quarantined at the Air Force base in SA.

Starting to sound like the part of Walking Dead that occurred when Rick was in a coma except the victims don't reanimate.

150,000 and counting.

Aside from the salience of when I asked that question, we are still nowhere near "Walking Dead" conditions.

That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
quash
Oldbear83 said:

BaylorBJM said:

Oldbear83 said:

PartyBear said:

150,000 and counting.

Aside from the salience of when I asked that question, we are still nowhere near "Walking Dead" conditions.

This is where you quote those who predicted "Walking Dead" conditions.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Oldbear83
quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

BaylorBJM said:

Oldbear83 said:

PartyBear said:

150,000 and counting.

PartyBear in this quoted set:

"Starting to sound like the part of Walking Dead that occurred when Rick was in a coma except the victims don't reanimate."

quash
Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

BaylorBJM said:

Oldbear83 said:

PartyBear said:

150,000 and counting.

"Starting to sound like the part of Walking Dead that occurred when Rick was in a coma except the victims don't reanimate."

See? You can do it.
Oldbear83
quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

BaylorBJM said:

Oldbear83 said:

PartyBear said:

150,000 and counting.

See? You can do it.
Thanks for noticing this time
Florda_mike
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Tighter restrictions are going to translate into more job losses and layoffs. Some of the Care Act/ unemployment benefits expire the end of July. People are going to start running out of money and food. This coupled with the Left's nationwide war on law enforcement may cause crime to go through the roof. People should be prepared and protect themselves. Might be time to buy a little extra toilet paper and ammunition. We just gotta make it until November 3rd. Until then, anarchy and domestic terrorism are going to rule the day.

Amen to all that ^^^
TexasScientist
Florda_mike said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Tighter restrictions are going to translate into more job losses and layoffs. Some of the Care Act/ unemployment benefits expire the end of July. People are going to start running out of money and food. This coupled with the Left's nationwide war on law enforcement may cause crime to go through the roof. People should be prepared and protect themselves. Might be time to buy a little extra toilet paper and ammunition. We just gotta make it until November 3rd. Until then, anarchy and domestic terrorism are going to rule the day.

Amen to all that ^^^
Anarchy? Y'all live in Trump's fear chamber. I think the 'war' is against rogue police officers, not law enforcement.

Do either of you wear a mask or practice social distancing?
“It is impossible to get a man to understand something if his livelihood depends on him not understanding.” ~ Upton Sinclair
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
TexasScientist said:

Florda_mike said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Amen to all that ^^^
Anarchy? Y'all live in Trump's fear chamber. I think the 'war' is against rogue police officers, not law enforcement.

Minneapolis City Council has officially voted to eliminate their police force. New York City is next. Open your eyes. If I lived in either city, I would be packing the U-Haul right now. That is if I could find one.

I wear a mask only out of courtesy for all the Nervous Nellies out there. I am skeptical on their effectiveness. Will play the game a little while longer.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Florda_mike
TexasScientist said:

Florda_mike said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Amen to all that ^^^

The 'war' against rogue police has maimed and killed many more than the rogue! How do you not acknowledge that? How are you oblivious to that?

I wear mask out of peer pressure as people freak out if you don't

I'm tired of these games though
TexasScientist
Florda_mike said:

TexasScientist said:

Florda_mike said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Amen to all that ^^^

The 'war' against rogue police has maimed and killed many more than the rogue! How do you not acknowledge that? How are you oblivious to that?

I wear mask out of peer pressure as people freak out if you don't

I'm tired of these games though
Killing of police officers is unacceptable and in most states is a captial offense, as it should be. Killing indiviuals through racially motivated unecessary use of force by a police officer is different in and of itself. Surely you can see the distinction. I didn't not acknowledge nor am I oblvious to violence against officers. I haven't seen the statistics on random or organized kiilings of officers compared to deaths due to officers use of unecessary force. Do you have any statistics?

How about wearing a mask out of concern for other people. Not taking this serious is one reason infections and hospitalizations are on the rise.
“It is impossible to get a man to understand something if his livelihood depends on him not understanding.” ~ Upton Sinclair
TexasScientist
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

TexasScientist said:

Florda_mike said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Amen to all that ^^^

Minneapolis City Council has officially voted to eliminate their police force. New York City is next. Open your eyes. If I lived in either city, I would be packing the U-Haul right now. That is if I could find one.

I wear a mask only out of courtesy for all the Nervous Nellies out there. I am skeptical on their effectiveness. Will play the game a little while longer.
What Minneapolis is doing is irresponsible, unless they have a method to transition into another department. I have not seen any serious effort for NYC to dispand its police department.

Consider wearing a mask out of concer for others health.
Osodecentx
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

TexasScientist said:

Florda_mike said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Amen to all that ^^^

Thanks. It is courteous
Bearitto
https://technocracy.news/cdc-confirms-extremely-low-covid-19-death-rate/?fbclid=IwAR1eSVHiPfQQwavEd9rjIqNiTzGrVIvfX-JZTKcjm8FpN1SC5qVrQ-Vyc1g

The newest data on the mortality rate from the CDC shows 0.26%. That means that in a town of 385 people, one old, fat, diabetic guy with COPD is probably gonna die. That's certainly a reason to shut down the world for the "Flu-Times-2". Or, in the rational world, it isn't.
Florda_mike
Bearitto said:

https://technocracy.news/cdc-confirms-extremely-low-covid-19-death-rate/?fbclid=IwAR1eSVHiPfQQwavEd9rjIqNiTzGrVIvfX-JZTKcjm8FpN1SC5qVrQ-Vyc1g

The newest data on the mortality rate from the CDC shows 0.26%. That means that in a town of 385 people, one old, fat, diabetic guy with COPD is probably gonna die. That's certainly a reason to shut down the world for the "Flu-Times-2". Or, in the rational world, it isn't.
br53
Bearitto said:

That describes a lot of this board.
quash
Bearitto said:

Great.

Now, why are new cases falling sharply in so many countries and not here?
br53
quash said:

Bearitto said:

Great.

Now, why are death rates falling sharply in so many countries and not here?
Too many people here with underlying conditions and an economic incentive to label the death as Covid related
corncob pipe
If you count all these new "cases" (positive tests) as an actual case of Covid... the death rate is plummeting
quash
br53 said:

quash said:

Bearitto said:

Great.

Too many people here with underlying conditions and an economic incentive to label the death as Covid related
Economic incentive: that $13k? How much do you think a two week stay in ICU costs?
Oldbear83
quash said:

br53 said:

quash said:

Bearitto said:

Great.

Economic incentive: that $13k? How much do you think a two week stay in ICU costs?
My wife works as a nurse in assisted living. One stunt she saw was two residents diagnosed with COVID and sent to Methodist Hospital, who kept them overnight then sent them back to assisted living with nothing to show for the trip but a big bill.

This allows the hospital to count the patients as COVID patients for tax and grant purposes, but have them die somewhere else so the hospital does not have their deaths count against the facility. Even more, the hospital can then tweak the numbers to show a high number of cases relative to deaths, implying they are more successful in treatment than is really true.

br53
quash said:

br53 said:

quash said:

Bearitto said:

Great.

They dont keep all of the patients as noted by oldbear83. They send alot of them home or back to nursing homes to deal with it. They keep the really severe ones. Either way they bill insurance companies, Medicare or whatever it is that you have.
TexasScientist
Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

br53 said:

quash said:

Bearitto said:

Great.

My wife works as a nurse in assisted living. One stunt she saw was two residents diagnosed with COVID and sent to Methodist Hospital, who kept them overnight then sent them back to assisted living with nothing to show for the trip but a big bill.

This allows the hospital to count the patients as COVID patients for tax and grant purposes, but have them die somewhere else so the hospital does not have their deaths count against the facility. Even more, the hospital can then tweak the numbers to show a high number of cases relative to deaths, implying they are more successful in treatment than is really true.

So you believe unethical practices in hospitals is widespread?
quash
Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

br53 said:

quash said:

Bearitto said:

Great.

That stunt happens all the time, not just in Covid cases. ICU is not a hospice.
Bearitto
quash said:

Bearitto said:

Great.

Less testing and fewer racist BLM riots drawing in thousands. The spike happened just after?

A. The early May 2020 Reopening
B. Late May Memorial Day
C. June Race Riots

quash
Bearitto said:

quash said:

Bearitto said:

Great.

Less testing and fewer racist BLM riots drawing in thousands. The spike happened just after?

B. Late May Memorial Day
C. June Race Riots

D. Public stops social distancing and goes out without masks.

But less testing, that there's sheer genius.
Oldbear83
TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

br53 said:

quash said:

Bearitto said:

Great.

Hard to say, but I know it's happening in some places. The combination of lost outpatient revenue and easy federal money by playing number games is too enticing for some.
Oldbear83
quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

br53 said:

quash said:

Bearitto said:

Great.

That stunt happens all the time, not just in Covid cases. ICU is not a hospice.
Agreed, but it's a lot worse now according to the wife.
quash
Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

br53 said:

quash said:

Bearitto said:

Great.

Hard to say, but I know it's happening in some places. The combination of lost outpatient revenue and easy federal money by playing number games is too enticing for some.
I don't know that it is unethical. A terminal patient who is kept alive by the tech in ICU is one thing. A terminal patient who has a few days or weeks left should be sent back to a nursing home to get palliative care. We spend way too much money to prolong the end of life, even if it means keeping a heartbeat in a corpse. There's nothing wrong, in many cases, with going gently into the night. We want to be able to say "I did everything possible" instead of "We made it as comfortable as possible."
Oldbear83
quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

br53 said:

quash said:

Bearitto said:

Great.

I don't know that it is unethical. A terminal patient who is kept alive by the tech in ICU is one thing. A terminal patient who has a few days or weeks left should be sent back to a nursing home to get palliative care. We spend way too much money to prolong the end of life, even if it means keeping a heartbeat in a corpse. There's nothing wrong, in many cases, with going gently into the night. We want to be able to say "I did everything possible" instead of "We made it as comfortable as possible."
My problem is the stunt of a patient being recorded as being in ICU, put into an ICU bed with no ventilator, no palliative treatment or even diagnostics beyond taking vital signs, even no attention from a licensed MD before being returned to the assisted living center.

The move may or may not be legal, but's damn well unethical. And according to my wife it's become commonplace, which is extremely disrespectful to the patient, to be used solely to generate money without receiving any effective treatment at all.
Bearitto
quash said:

Bearitto said:

quash said:

Bearitto said:

Great.

B. Late May Memorial Day
C. June Race Riots

D. Public stops social distancing and goes out without masks.

But less testing, that there's sheer genius.

Yes. It was the June race riots.
quash
Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

br53 said:

quash said:

Bearitto said:

Great.

My problem is the stunt of a patient being recorded as being in ICU, put into an ICU bed with no ventilator, no palliative treatment or even diagnostics beyond taking vital signs, even no attention from a licensed MD before being returned to the assisted living center.

The move may or may not be legal, but's damn well unethical. And according to my wife it's become commonplace, which is extremely disrespectful to the patient, to be used solely to generate money without receiving any effective treatment at all.
Ugh. Seems like there would be a decision made in the ER before admission to ICU. It sounds like at her hospital there is a policy in place to make that decision the same for every patient: admit to ICU.
First Page Last Page
Page 90 of 131

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.