Coronavirus updates here

432,395 Views | 4582 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Jacques Strap
Aliceinbubbleland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Osodecentx said:

quash said:

Bearitto said:

https://technocracy.news/cdc-confirms-extremely-low-covid-19-death-rate/?fbclid=IwAR1eSVHiPfQQwavEd9rjIqNiTzGrVIvfX-JZTKcjm8FpN1SC5qVrQ-Vyc1g

The newest data on the mortality rate from the CDC shows 0.26%. That means that in a town of 385 people, one old, fat, diabetic guy with COPD is probably gonna die. That's certainly a reason to shut down the world for the "Flu-Times-2". Or, in the rational world, it isn't.
Great.

Now, why are new cases falling sharply in so many countries and not here?
Would you be willing to install an App on your phone that would allow contact tracing by a government agency, e.g. S. Korea, China
S Korea and China probably know exactly where you are and where you have been and predicting where you are going
Jacques Strap
June 28 reports due to lag time. Availabel space on June 28 not alarming

Booray
Booray said:

Bexar Pitts said:

As of 3PM Mon 29th, McLennan County reporting 51 new Covid cases...total now of 795, with 592 active. 8 deceased, with 28 hospitalizations. Don't know status of those in hospital. And the spread continues. This from CovidWaco.com
Tomorrow will be telling.51 is a lot for Waco historically, but well off the 70+ cases reported for last Wed-Fri. But I think it tends to dip on the weekend. Will be interested to see if we are back into the 70s or greater tomorrow.

As I feared. 162 new McLennan County cases, double the previous daily high.
cinque
I saw a report earlier from Italy where a woman was expressing her surprise at how bad America has been at containing COVID. She asked, why didn't they see what happened to us and learn from it?

There will be one undeniable legacy of Trump's presidency. He has shown the world that we're really not exceptional at all. Other first world countries have leaders who took command of the virus threat and their efforts paid off.

No one is in charge here and we're paying the price.
Bexar Pitts
162...Makes me wonder if we have some workplace contagion being reflected. City and County officials are probably going to have another "presser" to discuss further action needed. I wish them luck. Dr. Fauci's warning to Congress today that the United States could possibly see 100,000 cases per day may be on target. I hope not.
Booray
Bexar Pitts said:

162...Makes me wonder if we have some workplace contagion being reflected. City and County officials are probably going to have another "presser" to discuss further action needed. I wish them luck. Dr. Fauci's warning to Congress today that the United States could possibly see 100,000 cases per day may be on target. I hope not.
I think they have a problem at Clayton homes, which is a big employer.

Age breakdown of the new cases:

0-10 8 cases
11-19 12 cases
20-29 44 cases
30-39 28 cases
40-49 27 cases
50-59 23 cases
60+ 20 cases
EatMoreSalmon
Trauma service area P (San Antonio area) on Texas' data map looking really high on per capita hospitalizations for their population compared to other high population areas. The valley area (TSA V) is not so good comparatively either.
br53
We're all gonna die.
Booray
br53 said:

We're all gonna die.
That is true.
Florda_mike
I'm going about my daily life as usual

Don't know anyone sick with COVID

Hard to believe we need to shut down economy
Jacques Strap
My take away... Hard to compare positive test results worldwide when there is so much difference in testing.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-07-01/half-of-all-covid-tests-are-positive-in-mexico-highest-in-world

Half of All Covid Tests Are Positive in Mexico, Highest in World

The sky-high results are easy to explain -- though not so easy to fix. The Latin American nation has stubbornly shunned wide-scale testing and instead runs exams only on the sickest of patients. Deputy Health Minister Hugo Lopez Gatell in late May said anything more would be "a waste of time, effort and resources."
Oldbear83
br53 said:

We're all gonna die.
Are you one of those people who skips to the end of a book or movie?

The purpose is the life
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
br53
Oldbear83 said:

br53 said:

We're all gonna die.

The purpose is the life
Are you one of those people who dont understand sarcasm. I take this virus very seriously. It could and would kill several of my very close family members if they got it. Wearing a mask to prevent COVID is like wearing a condom to prevent HIV or an STD; it may not be 100% effective but I feel better knowing I am trying to protect myself and others.
Oldbear83
br53 said:

Oldbear83 said:

br53 said:

We're all gonna die.

The purpose is the life
Are you one of those people who dont understand sarcasm. I take this virus very seriously. It could and would kill several of my very close family members if they got it. Wearing a mask to prevent COVID is like wearing a condom to prevent HIV or an STD; it may not be 100% effective but I feel better knowing I am trying to protect myself and others.
I choose not to live in fear.

I wear my mask when at work or in public places, and my wife takes special care considering she works as a nurse with geriatric patients.

But I see the media doing more harm than good in its slanted perspective, sowing fear in hopes of ratings, and this has already led to bad things, as many young people ignore the precautions because they are dulled by the constant drone of 'fear-fear-fear' in TV and radio.

Do the right thing, trust others to do the same, live your life and believe in good.
Jacques Strap
https://www.journalism.org/2020/06/29/three-months-in-many-americans-see-exaggeration-conspiracy-theories-and-partisanship-in-covid-19-news/

Three Months In, Many Americans See Exaggeration, Conspiracy Theories and Partisanship in COVID-19 News

br53
Oldbear83 said:

br53 said:

Oldbear83 said:

br53 said:

We're all gonna die.

The purpose is the life

I wear my mask when at work or in public places, and my wife takes special care considering she works as a nurse with geriatric patients.

But I see the media doing more harm than good in its slanted perspective, sowing fear in hopes of ratings, and this has already led to bad things, as many young people ignore the precautions because they are dulled by the constant drone of 'fear-fear-fear' in TV and radio.

Do the right thing, trust others to do the same, live your life and believe in good.
I wear a mask when I am in public places as well and take necessary precautions. The only thing I fear is what happens if I bring it home to one of my loved ones that has underlying issues and cause them serious harm.
Jacques Strap
https://news.bloomberglaw.com/pharma-and-life-sciences/pandemic-shot-from-pfizer-biontech-shows-promise-in-early-test

Pandemic Shot From Pfizer, BioNtech Shows Promise in Early Test

Quote:

An early trial of an experimental coronavirus vaccine from Pfizer Inc. and BioNtech SE showed it's safe and prompted patients to produce antibodies against the new virus, keeping it in the lead pack for a pandemic shot.

The messenger RNA product was tested on 45 healthy adults divided in several groups: 24 of them got two injections with two different doses of the experimental vaccine, 12 of them received a single shot with a very high dose and nine patients got two dummy injections. The two-shot groups produced the highest level of antibodies.
Pfizer and Germany's BioNTech are in a race with companies including AstraZeneca Plc, Moderna Inc. and dozens of other biopharmaceutical outfits and academic groups to come up with a safe and effective vaccine against Covid-19. With almost 10.5 million confirmed cases around the globe and over half a million deaths, drugmakers are under increasing pressure to deliver.

On Monday, shares of Inovio Pharmaceuticals Inc. slumped after the company released promising results on an experimental vaccine without giving enough detailed data.

The study of Pfizer's and BioNtech's vaccine candidate, called BNT162b1, is undergoing scientific peer review, the partners said.
Oldbear83
br53 said:

Oldbear83 said:

br53 said:

Oldbear83 said:

br53 said:

We're all gonna die.

The purpose is the life

I wear a mask when I am in public places as well and take necessary precautions. The only thing I fear is what happens if I bring it home to one of my loved ones that has underlying issues and cause them serious harm.
That's one reason I mentioned my wife. We take all reasonable precautions - by the way, if/when you run out of Lysol, a hydrogen peroxide solution in a spray bottle works just fine as a body sanitizer - and don't worry about low-order possibilities.

Despite my age and health conditions, I am statistically more likely to be seriously hurt by tripping over my geriatric collie than I am from getting COVID. Be careful but relax.
ValhallaBear
As the testing progresses we are seeing more positive tests

What about fatalities? Aren't they going down?

Wasn't that the original concern?

Why are we so concerned about positive tests on people who either don't have symptoms or experienced flu-like symptoms?

Are we trying to prevent the spread of...what....people building immunity to a virus????
Osodecentx
br53 said:

Oldbear83 said:

br53 said:

Oldbear83 said:

br53 said:

We're all gonna die.

The purpose is the life

Wear mask
Wash hands
Social distancing

These things will work
br53
Osodecentx said:

br53 said:

Oldbear83 said:

br53 said:

Oldbear83 said:

br53 said:

We're all gonna die.

The purpose is the life

Wear mask
Wash hands
Social distancing

These things will work
Pretty much all I can do. I appreciate it. Like Dory said Just keep swimming.
Booray
ValhallaBear said:

As the testing progresses we are seeing more positive tests

What about fatalities? Aren't they going down?

Wasn't that the original concern?

Why are we so concerned about positive tests on people who either don't have symptoms or experienced flu-like symptoms?

Are we trying to prevent the spread of...what....people building immunity to a virus????
Fatalities were a major concern.

They were not the only concern.

We are actually trying to prevent hospitalizations. Widespread hospitalizations mean that the medical system is stressed and that there are larger numbers of people who are seriously ill. Both of those things lead to a variety of bad outcomes, including but not limited to increased fatalities.

If we have millions of people with the disease, the vast majority will have mild symptoms ranging down to asymptomatic. That is still hundreds of thousands of hospitalizations. If we have tens of millions or scores of millions who have the disease, that means millions of hospitalizations. Society can accept the first scenario, not the second. The idea that the second scenario will not occur without restriction on activity and conduct is looking significantly less likely with the recent resurgence.

The situation sucks but we can't return to life as normal until we have the disease under control. One job of our governments is to provide an economic bridge between where we are now and where we will be when the virus is under control. One job of our governments is to marshal all our resources to finding a cure and a vaccine. One job of our governments is to install and enforce those public safety measures that best balance public safety and economic survival.

None of this should be hard to grasp unless one is so blinded by selfishness that one refuses to consider what is right in front of one's face.
Jacques Strap
as of 10am July 1 - Charts below dated June 29

ICU growth

Oldbear83
I disagree. The sole purpose of the shutdowns was to prevent hospitals being unable to handle the case load.

That was accomplished, and people demanding a new shutdown are speaking from fear, not reason.
Osodecentx
Jacques Strap said:

as of 10am July 1 - Charts below dated June 29

ICU growth

Good information. Thanks for posting
Booray
Oldbear83 said:

I disagree. The sole purpose of the shutdowns was to prevent hospitals being unable to handle the case load.

That was accomplished, and people demanding a new shutdown are speaking from fear, not reason.
No you don't disagree. I said we are trying to "prevent hospitalizations." That means we we are trying to prevent hospitals from being unable to handle the case load.

Those who are concerned about the rise in cases recently are still concerned that hospitals will not be able to handle the case load. That is why TMC's press releases get so much attention That is why county judges have hot lines to their major medical centers. That is why I said we could live with millions of cases but not tens of millions of cases--in the latter scenario we would have far too many hospitalizations.
Oldbear83
Booray said:

Oldbear83 said:

No you don't disagree. I said we are trying to "prevent hospitalizations." That means we we are trying to prevent hospitals from being unable to handle the case load.

This who are concerned about the rise in cases recently are still concerned that hospitals will not be able to handle the case load. That is why TMC's press releases get so much attention That is why county judges have hot lines to their major medical centers. That is why I said we could live with millions of cases but not tens of millions of cases--in the latter scenario we would have far too many hospitalizations.

I disagree about continuing shutdowns until we are done with the virus. The damage to the economy is already serious, and we are shutting down demographic groups which are not at serious risk.

We know who the at-risk groups are. Let's protect them and let the rest of the nation move forward, with simple but rational precautions.
ValhallaBear
Booray said:

None of this should be hard to grasp unless one is so blinded by selfishness that one refuses to consider what is right in front of one's face.
My inability to grasp our inability to act with wisdom and not fear has nothing to do with selfishness unless you consider being selfish wanting our country to continue

What's right in front of my face is a continuing series of catastrophic decisions based on bad information and unprecedented scientific conclusions

Don't let the fact that our brains are wired differently (fight vs fear) lead you to conclude anything about my motives
Booray
ValhallaBear said:

Booray said:

My inability to grasp our inability to act with wisdom and not fear has nothing to do with selfishness unless you consider being selfish wanting our country to continue

What's right in front of my face is a continuing series of catastrophic decisions based on bad information and unprecedented scientific conclusions

Don't let the fact that our brains are wired differently (fight vs fear) lead you to conclude anything about my motives
Yeah, I can explain it for you. I can't understand it for you. But one last time:

Defeating the virus is what we have to to do to protect and restore the economy.
Sam Lowry
Denialism is the worst kind of fear. And it continues to run rampant.
Oldbear83
Sam Lowry said:

I see no 'denialism' here. I see different opinions of severity and best courses to take,
corncob pipe
With all the new "cases" (positive tests), what is the death rate now?

.00 whatttt?
Jacques Strap
https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/29/health/border-hospitals-coronavirus/index.html

People with coronavirus are crossing the US-Mexico border for medical care

Coronavirus patients are showing up in emergency rooms after calling 911 from the US-Mexico border.

"They'll literally come to the border and call an ambulance," says Van Gorder, president and CEO of Scripps Health, a hospital system in southern California.
ValhallaBear
Booray said:

ValhallaBear said:

Booray said:

Yeah, I can explain it for you. I can't understand it for you. But one last time:

Defeating the virus is what we have to to do to protect and restore the economy.
That horse is already out of the barn...at this point I'm hoping BU will accept food stamps for admission to a game.

What's the enemy we have to defeat again?

Fatalities

Overcrowded Hospitals

Positive Tests

Old people

Fat People

Black People

People that won't wear masks

People that do wear masks
Canada2017
Sam Lowry said:

Indeed

A niece of mine ( by marriage ) works in a hospital in Dallas.

Says she is seeing more and more younger people admitted with severe C-19 infections.

That they don't die as readily ( though some certainly do ) but its often 10 days to 3 weeks of hell.

First Page Last Page
Page 92 of 131

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.