Coronavirus updates here

432,278 Views | 4582 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Jacques Strap
Florda_mike
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hello LIQ?
Whiskey Pete
cinque said:

And our lack of national guidance will ensure that we will not contain the virus.
Are you talking about the coronavirus or the democrat virus?
cinque
Yes.
Florda_mike
cinque said:

Yes.

Again, why do you have a racist username, Chinaman?
ValhallaBear
LTbear said:

Oldbear83 said:

Now show us COVID deaths by state.
Go look it up and teach us. I'm sharing data I could find. If you can find deaths, death rate, death rate per capita broken down by state through time, go for it.
This is adorable

I'm not going to look up death rates because it would blow my stupid narrative out of the water

There's a reason you can't find them easily...because it would show an increase in testing is driving the death rate down, way down. Way less than April.

But we can't have that because then everyone will know how suicidal this whole ordeal has been

quash
Florda_mike said:

cinque said:

Username checks out said:

cinque said:

Biden must have first day plans for a coordinated national strategy to get this virus under control. Otherwise, we'll never see the end of this pandemic.

Hopefully it will have burned through by then, otherwise we'll be looking at over a year of quarantine. What can government realistically do if it's that bad? I am just hoping he will bring back regular updates to the people, without the fraudulent self-promotion of his predecessor. Would appreciate having a leader looks us in the eye and tell us, "this is bad. We are all ****ed, but can be less ****ed if we wear masks and stay apart from each other. Wash your hands and support your local small business, they need it. This is not a hoax and affects everyone, Republican or Democrat."
We have to do something radically different because this hodge podge, each state do your own thing approach is not working and will only cause more people to lose their lives unnecessarily. The Canadian medical authorities have said despite their missteps early on, they have successfully flattened the curve, due in large measure to all Canadians embracing the truth of the seriousness of COVID and observing safety protocols.

That has not happened here.

^^^ This wasn't written by the Cinque(slang for Chinaman and racist term FYI) we know!!!

Do you know the Italian word for five?
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
LTbear
ValhallaBear said:

LTbear said:

Oldbear83 said:

Go look it up and teach us. I'm sharing data I could find. If you can find deaths, death rate, death rate per capita broken down by state through time, go for it.
This is adorable

I'm not going to look up death rates because it would blow my stupid narrative out of the water

There's a reason you can't find them easily...because it would show an increase in testing is driving the death rate down, way down. Way less than April.

But we can't have that because then everyone will know how suicidal this whole ordeal has been

You're cute little guy.

I see you didn't share any data either? I have zero - zilch, zip, nada - problem being very, very happy that death rates are going down, as they should be. That is literally what happens with every single new infection that comes along.

My original post was merely pointing out discrepancies in 1) how viral load began and 2) how it's now evolved among the states, with major political affiliation likely showing some loose correlation to how said states have responded to the virus. What you make of those correlations is up to you. If you can find the death rate data broken down in the same fashion, which is what I told OB I couldn't, then post it. If you can't but your panties are still in a twist, go to the John Hopkins site, get the state by state data, due the political tally yourself, make some graphs, and post them. But quit your stupid ass whining.
TexasScientist
ValhallaBear said:

LTbear said:

Oldbear83 said:

This is adorable

Reality blows your narrative out of the water. 2,687 deaths in Texas so far. It's the total death count (129,870 US) that is consequential. It's the percentage of increase of positive tests that is significant. Not just total tests. Percentage of increase in positive tests is what tells us how fast the virus is being transmitted, and that increase is what is alarming today. The death count can easily be found on Johns Hopkins' web site https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html or even on Google https://news.google.com/covid19/map?hl=en-US&mid=%2Fm%2F0mrh9&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen . You can easily find Covid death rates by country and state.

This is the only country that has politicized its response to the virus, and politicization is going to wreck our economy and cause unnecessary deaths.
Aliceinbubbleland
cinque said:

Biden must have first day plans for a coordinated national strategy to get this virus under control. Otherwise, we'll never see the end of this pandemic.
There is no way a coordinated national strategy will work in this nation. You see that day after day.
cinque
Florda_mike said:

cinque said:

Yes.

Again, why do you have a racist username, Chinaman?
Why didn't you ever correct your misspelling of Florida?
TexasScientist
Aliceinbubbleland said:

cinque said:

There is no way a coordinated national strategy will work in this nation. You see that day after day.
It would work if we had a leader to take charge of spearheading the effort, instead of one who is ignoring it, trying to dismiss it as not consequential, and politicizing it.
cinque
https://twitter.com/mkonnikova/status/1279762535344939008?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1279762535344939008%7Ctwgr%5E&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.surlyhorns.com%2Fboard%2Findex.php%3Fapp%3Dcoremodule%3Dsystemcontroller%3Dembedurl%3Dhttps%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2Fmkonnikova%2Fstatus%2F1279762535344939008%3Fs%3D21
Jacques Strap
if the goal is to keep the curve flat enough to avoid overwhelming hospitals then so far so good.

ValhallaBear
TexasScientist said:

ValhallaBear said:

LTbear said:

Oldbear83 said:

This is adorable

Percentage of increase in positive tests is what tells us how fast the virus is being transmitted, and that increase is what is alarming today.
OK so that's today's Covid alarm

Dying is so April
quash
Jacques Strap said:

if the goal is to keep the curve flat enough to avoid overwhelming hospitals then so far so good.

As compromises go I have always felt like this one strikes the right balance between medical precaution and economic necessity. I know there are two counties in the RGV that hit capacity, but patients can be moved to other counties, other facilities. Just don't break the system.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
quash
ValhallaBear said:

TexasScientist said:

ValhallaBear said:

LTbear said:

Oldbear83 said:

This is adorable

Percentage of increase in positive tests is what tells us how fast the virus is being transmitted, and that increase is what is alarming today.

Dying is so April
That particular alarm should have been apparent from the beginning. Rate of transmission matters.
Aliceinbubbleland
TexasScientist said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

cinque said:

It would work if we had a leader to take charge of spearheading the effort, instead of one who is ignoring it, trying to dismiss it as not consequential, and politicizing it.
Truly naive. Biden's first year will have much less political criticism from the media and the party. He will lead Hunter to cash though.
Jacques Strap
quash said:

Jacques Strap said:

As compromises go I have always felt like this one strikes the right balance between medical precaution and economic necessity. I know there are two counties in the RGV that hit capacity, but patients can be moved to other counties, other facilities. Just don't break the system.
Society I think owes each person an opportunity to beat the virus if they become infected. There needs to be hospital capacity in order to provide people their best chance to beat COVID. Some will and some will not. That's just the reality of life and death. Most people don't need a hospital bed so case count is not as important IMHO as hospital capacity. With all that said wash your hands, wear a mask and be smart.
Jacques Strap
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/covid-data/covidview/index.html

COVID-19 is getting close to no longer meeting the criteria to be an "epidemic". We can hope the percentage continues to decline and COVID is no longer and epidemic, but also hope that doesn't give people a false sense that things are "normal".

The stats seem to indicate the Doctors are getting a better handle on treatment protocols.

Scroll to "Key Points"

Quote:

Based on death certificate data, the percentage of deaths attributed to pneumonia, influenza or COVID-19 (PIC) decreased from 9.0% during week 25 to 5.9% during week 26, representing the tenth consecutive week during which a declining percentage of deaths due to PIC has been recorded. The percentage is currently at the epidemic threshold but will likely change as additional death certificates for deaths during recent weeks are processed.
Jacques Strap
As of July 5 update

Jacques Strap
https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/education/article244039247.html

Despite rising COVID-19 cases in Florida, state orders public schools to reopen in August

Florida Education Commissioner Richard Corcoran on Monday ordered public schools to reopen in August and offer "the full panoply of services" to students and families.
Florda_mike
I love my state, especially Governor DeSantis
Canada2017
Florda_mike said:

Colorado has shifted dramatically to the left the last few years .

Legal marijuana might have had something to do with it ....hard to say .

Hoping to convince the rest of the family to go to Montana ASAP.
Florda_mike
Canada2017 said:

Florda_mike said:

I remember Californians migrating to Colorado for less expensive homes in 90s

Lots of talk among natives about Californians bringing liberal policy with them then and it would ruin Colorado

Looks like it worked, for Democrats

I'm now hearing same in Texas, but Mexicans are also being used to turn Texas blue eventually
TexasScientist
ValhallaBear said:

TexasScientist said:

ValhallaBear said:

LTbear said:

Oldbear83 said:

This is adorable

Dying is so April
Spoken by a good Christian no doubt.
TexasScientist
Aliceinbubbleland said:

TexasScientist said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

cinque said:

Truly naive. Biden's first year will have much less political criticism from the media and the party. He will lead Hunter to cash though.
Who of us is naive? The problem is you are trying to evaluate Covid through a political lens. Covid doesn't care who the president is. You should care about having a leader who can lead in a crisis who puts public health and safety above his own political fortunes.
TexasScientist
Florda_mike said:

That would include the unecessary deaths that go along with playing Covid politics.
Osodecentx
Jacques Strap said:

As of July 5 update

Thanks for posting these updates
LTbear
Canada2017 said:

Florda_mike said:

I was in Colorado when MMJ was new there. It may have contributed some, but I think just the ballooning of the Denver metro and the tendency for urban residents to lean Democrat is what really changed state politics.

Montana is great. It's nice that many voters still vote for people, not party, up here.
Jacques Strap
I hope this is the beginning of a down trend but need more down days to confirm the trend.
Texas cases are off the July 4th peak the last two days.
Click "Case Trends" on the tab at the bottom.
7/4 8,258
7/5 3,449
7/6 5,318

https://txdshs.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/ed483ecd702b4298ab01e8b9cafc8b83

Click "Fatality Trends" at the bottom. (Peak was 5/14 @ 58). Maybe the Docs have figured out better treatments these past few months. Hope so. Maybe the cases are up in the low risk age groups, Maybe there is a lag. Time will tell.
7/1 57
7/2 44
7/3 50
7/4 33
7/5 29
7/6 18

Booray
Jacques Strap said:

I hope this is the beginning of a down trend but need more down days to confirm the trend.
7/4 8,258
7/5 3,449
7/6 5,318

https://txdshs.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/ed483ecd702b4298ab01e8b9cafc8b83

Fatality Trends (Peak was 5/14 @ 58). Maybe the Docs have figured out better treatments these past few months. Hope so. Maybe the cases are up in the low risk age groups, Maybe there is a lag. Time will tell.
7/1 57
7/2 44
7/3 50
7/4 33
7/5 29
7/6 18

As to the first point, holidays and weekends usually show declines. Today's case numbers will be more telling.
Osodecentx
Booray said:

Jacques Strap said:

7/4 8,258
7/5 3,449
7/6 5,318

Fatality Trends (Peak was 5/14 @ 58). Maybe the Docs have figured out better treatments these past few months. Hope so. Maybe the cases are up in the low risk age groups, Maybe there is a lag. Time will tell.
7/1 57
7/2 44
7/3 50
7/4 33
7/5 29
7/6 18

As to the first point, holidays and weekends usually show declines. Today's case numbers will be more telling.
I hope you are wrong. I fear you are correct
Osodecentx
quash said:

Jacques Strap said:

Agree. Below is a long article from NYTimes about the economic devastation in NYC.

Even so, the city's unemployment rate is hovering near 20 percent a figure not seen since the Great Depression.

What was intended as a "pause" has dragged on so long that for many workers, furloughs are turning into permanent job losses. The sudden shutdown of the city nearly four months ago threw at least a million people out of work and threatened the survival of many of their employers.

A Million Jobs Lost: A Heart Attack for the NYC Economy
While the national jobless rate has rebounded as many states started to reopen, New Yorkers continue to lose jobs and seek benefits

New York City, hit hard by the coronavirus pandemic, is mired in the worst economic calamity since the financial crisis of the 1970s, when it nearly went bankrupt.
The city is staggering toward reopening with some workers back at their desks or behind cash registers, and on Monday, it began a new phase, allowing personal-care services like nail salons and some outdoor recreation to resume. Even so, the city's unemployment rate is hovering near 20 percent a figure not seen since the Great Depression.
What was intended as a "pause" has dragged on so long that for many workers, furloughs are turning into permanent job losses. The sudden shutdown of the city nearly four months ago threw at least a million people out of work and threatened the survival of many of their employers.
The layoffs continued in June as some employers gave up hope of a quick recovery or ran out of the federal aid they were using to maintain their payrolls.

The pandemic set off an immediate and sweeping reversal of fortune that the city has never endured, economists said. Most past financial crises were "like a prolonged illness," said Frank Braconi, a former chief economist for the city comptroller's office.
"This was like a heart attack," he said.
Entire industries restaurants, hotels, theaters and museums and galleries went from operating at full throttle to being practically shuttered.
Economists said they feared that the fallout would soon spread to other sectors like education, health care and professional services. Wall Street, a main driver of the city's economy, appears somewhat insulated for now because the markets have rebounded and several of the biggest banks have pledged not to lay off workers during the pandemic.

Many businesses, including restaurants and hotels, are expected to close for good. The picture has grown even grimmer after officials delayed indefinitely the reopening of indoor dining.
While the national unemployment rate fell to 11.1 percent in June, New York City's rate reached 18.3 percent in May, the highest level in the 44 years that such data has been collected. (In the Depression, unemployment is estimated to have reached 25 percent.) The numbers for June will be released next Thursday.
The highest the city's unemployment rate reached during the great recession following the financial collapse in 2008 was about 10 percent. For a decade after that, the city steadily added jobs, reaching a record-low unemployment rate of 3.4 percent in February.
The setback has been quick and steep.
Officially, about 670,000 city residents were out of work in May. But the real number is higher because many unemployed people, like undocumented workers, do not fit the government's official definition of unemployed.
Even with the restrictions on operating beginning to loosen, workers are still getting bad news from their employers.

The losses have been particularly significant among people of color: About one in four of the city's Asian, Black and Hispanic workers was unemployed last month, compared with about one of every nine white workers, the city comptroller's office said.
"New York City is experiencing deep and enduring unemployment, mostly by low-income workers of color, and the city is facing a sluggish recovery with double-digit unemployment," said James Parrott, director of economic and fiscal policies at the Center for New York City Affairs.

Mr. Parrott estimates that the city's total job loss since February counting all the undocumented and gig workers could be as high as 1.25 million.
Adam Kamins, a senior economist with Moody's Analytics, said the city is in for "a long slog" to recovery compared with other parts of the country. New York "was hit harder than anywhere else" and has been "among the slowest cities to reopen," he said.
Residents of the city have filed nearly 1.4 million new claims for unemployment benefits over the 15-week period since the pandemic began. And the flood of claims is not abating: In the week that ended June 27, the number of new claims filed rose in Brooklyn, while falling only slightly in the city's other boroughs.
The state was so ill-prepared to have to pay out so much so fast that it quickly exhausted its unemployment insurance trust fund and had to borrow from the federal government. So far, that debt is $3.4 billion and rising more than any other state has had to borrow.

With business and leisure travel at a standstill and no rebound in sight, the city's tourism-dependent businesses have been devastated. About 250,000 of the jobs lost have been in hotels and restaurants.
One of the city's best-known hotels, the 399-room Omni Berkshire Place in Midtown Manhattan, has already closed for good, eliminating 268 jobs.

Without the usual influx of tourists this summer, the city will continue to lose jobs into the fall, and possibly well beyond, some economists said. The city's Independent Budget Office projects employment will continue to decline until early next year, said its director, Ronnie Lowenstein.
"The situation here is so much worse than it has been elsewhere that I think New York City residents are going to be facing an extended period of what we're facing now," Ms. Lowenstein said.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/07/nyregion/nyc-unemployment.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage
Jacques Strap

July 4 Total 1,308 | COVID 568
July 5 Total 1,307 | COVID 589
July 6 Total 1,362 | COVID 600

Jacques Strap
Cases and fatalities. Next two weeks will tell us a lot about whether Fauci is correct.

Fauci: 'False narrative' to take comfort in lower COVID death rate
https://www.al.com/news/2020/07/watch-live-fauci-doug-jones-on-alabamas-covid-outbreak.html

USA

Florida
First Page Last Page
Page 95 of 131

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.