Coronavirus updates here

432,153 Views | 4582 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Jacques Strap
TexasScientist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bearitto said:

TexasScientist said:

Bearitto said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Bearitto said:

Sam Lowry said:

Osodecentx said:

Booray said:

Osodecentx said:

Booray said:

Jacques Strap said:

I hope this is the beginning of a down trend but need more down days to confirm the trend.
Texas cases are off the July 4th peak the last two days.
7/4 8,258
7/5 3,449
7/6 5,318

https://txdshs.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/ed483ecd702b4298ab01e8b9cafc8b83

Fatality Trends (Peak was 5/14 @ 58). Maybe the Docs have figured out better treatments these past few months. Hope so. Maybe the cases are up in the low risk age groups, Maybe there is a lag. Time will tell.
7/1 57
7/2 44
7/3 50
7/4 33
7/5 29
7/6 18

https://txdshs.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/ed483ecd702b4298ab01e8b9cafc8b83

As to the first point, holidays and weekends usually show declines. Today's case numbers will be more telling.
I hope you are wrong. I fear you are correct
173 today in McLennan County, including 25 Baylor athletes. Of the 25 Baylor athletes, only 4 are asymptomatic.

5,300 statewide.Texas hospitalizations have doubled in two weeks to 8,698.

https://www.kwtx.com/app/2020/07/04/local-health-district-confirms-2-more-covid-19-deaths/
Waconew cases are doubling every 6 days
Must be all the public transportation.

How can you be so flippant about these thousands of deaths in Waco? This pandemic is incredibly deadly to EVERYONE.
Aren't you the bright person who said the virus would be gone this summer?
I don't know if he is, but you certainly seem to be thrilled that the virus is still prevalent and a threat.
I know you're one that proffered that theme until you later changed your mind. No, you're just trying to use your standard ad hominem attack strategy when you have no facts or compelling argument. I'm alarmed that our leaders in this country have failed to recognize the significance of the threat and to marshal an effective response.
The response is fine, except that it may be overblown. The right course of action is to continue to let the virus spread. The important number here is not the number of cases, but the number of deaths. The greater the spread of the virus without an equivalently growing number of deaths (precisely as we are
seeing now) is a very VERY good thing. Hand wringing over increased positive test results in the absence of associated deaths is just more politicization of the virus and goal post moving.
In addition to nearly 10,000 new cases in Florida, Texas reported over 9,500 cases and California reported more than 8,500 new infections. California and Texas also each reported a record one-day increase in deaths.

It was the second day in a row that U.S. deaths climbed by more than 900 in a day, the highest levels seen since early June, according to the tally.
https://news.trust.org/item/20200709004308-v2n88

You should rethink what you are saying. Trump's strategy is to let the virus run wild, ignore it, deflect attention from it, in the hopes of salvaging the economy and his chances for re-election.

The virus should run wild and we should lock up only the sick and old. A wise man who understands statistics would see this. I see you are not either.
It's clear your not concerned with anyone other than your self, and don't understand anything about epidemiology. You can't lock up sick and old people in this country, yet, and even if you could, you can't keep them isolated from exposure to the disease - example the nursing home devastation. Those are already isolated.
TexasScientist
nein51 said:

You gonna force contact tracing on people? In this country??
Absolutely. Why not? It will save lives. They are already doing to a limited degree in some areas. Just not enough to be effective at anything.
Bearitto
TexasScientist said:

Bearitto said:

TexasScientist said:

Bearitto said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Bearitto said:

Sam Lowry said:

Osodecentx said:

Booray said:

Osodecentx said:

Booray said:

Jacques Strap said:

I hope this is the beginning of a down trend but need more down days to confirm the trend.
7/4 8,258
7/5 3,449
7/6 5,318

Fatality Trends (Peak was 5/14 @ 58). Maybe the Docs have figured out better treatments these past few months. Hope so. Maybe the cases are up in the low risk age groups, Maybe there is a lag. Time will tell.
7/1 57
7/2 44
7/3 50
7/4 33
7/5 29
7/6 18

As to the first point, holidays and weekends usually show declines. Today's case numbers will be more telling.
173 today in McLennan County, including 25 Baylor athletes. Of the 25 Baylor athletes, only 4 are asymptomatic.

https://www.kwtx.com/app/2020/07/04/local-health-district-confirms-2-more-covid-19-deaths/

How can you be so flippant about these thousands of deaths in Waco? This pandemic is incredibly deadly to EVERYONE.
I don't know if he is, but you certainly seem to be thrilled that the virus is still prevalent and a threat.
I know you're one that proffered that theme until you later changed your mind. No, you're just trying to use your standard ad hominem attack strategy when you have no facts or compelling argument. I'm alarmed that our leaders in this country have failed to recognize the significance of the threat and to marshal an effective response.
The response is fine, except that it may be overblown. The right course of action is to continue to let the virus spread. The important number here is not the number of cases, but the number of deaths. The greater the spread of the virus without an equivalently growing number of deaths (precisely as we are
seeing now) is a very VERY good thing. Hand wringing over increased positive test results in the absence of associated deaths is just more politicization of the virus and goal post moving.
In addition to nearly 10,000 new cases in Florida, Texas reported over 9,500 cases and California reported more than 8,500 new infections. California and Texas also each reported a record one-day increase in deaths.

It was the second day in a row that U.S. deaths climbed by more than 900 in a day, the highest levels seen since early June, according to the tally.

You should rethink what you are saying. Trump's strategy is to let the virus run wild, ignore it, deflect attention from it, in the hopes of salvaging the economy and his chances for re-election.

The virus should run wild and we should lock up only the sick and old. A wise man who understands statistics would see this. I see you are not either.
It's clear your not concerned with anyone other than your self, and don't understand anything about epidemiology. You can't lock up sick and old people in this country, yet, and even if you could, you can't keep them isolated from exposure to the disease - example the nursing home devastation. Those are already isolated.

It's clear you not only don't understand statistics, but actual impact or freedom either. The deaths are now above the life expectancy in the US. As for nursing homes, if Democrats didn't send virus bombs into the midst of the walking dead, many would still be with us. The virus is inevitable and is simply forcing the inevitability of life on those already dying. We can lock them up (if they choose) and it will prove not only more epidemiologically successful, but more economically successful and gain far more general compliance. Compliance (voluntary) is the only way to give the pensioners that extra 3-6 months they have left. You will NEVER get contact tracing en masse in the US. We simply won't allow it. Nor should we.
Doc Holliday
Doc Holliday
60 and under fatality rate is less than .002%

Let's put people in debt for the next 15 years!
trey3216
LTbear said:

The fact that Mexico doesn't appear on this list is almost laughable. THere's no way on earth their numbers are correct.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
TexasScientist
Bearitto said:

TexasScientist said:

Bearitto said:

TexasScientist said:

Bearitto said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Bearitto said:

Sam Lowry said:

Osodecentx said:

Booray said:

Osodecentx said:

Booray said:

Jacques Strap said:

7/4 8,258
7/5 3,449
7/6 5,318

7/1 57
7/2 44
7/3 50
7/4 33
7/5 29
7/6 18

It's clear you not only don't understand statistics, but actual impact or freedom either. The deaths are now above the life expectancy in the US. As for nursing homes, if Democrats didn't send virus bombs into the midst of the walking dead, many would still be with us. The virus is inevitable and is simply forcing the inevitability of life on those already dying. We can lock them up (if they choose) and it will prove not only more epidemiologically successful, but more economically successful and gain far more general compliance. Compliance (voluntary) is the only way to give the pensioners that extra 3-6 months they have left. You will NEVER get contact tracing en masse in the US. We simply won't allow it. Nor should we.
Wearing a mask is too much of an infringement on your personal freedom? Social distancing is too much trouble for you? Contact tracing/isolation significantly harms no one, and prevents the spread. Do you believe you have a right to spread a deadly pathogen unfettered to other people? Rationing was too much of an infringement upon our parents/grandparents in WWII? This virus isn't limited to the old that you hold in contempt. The next virus could be harder on the young in terms of death, as was the 1918 Spanish Flu.

I guess you believe you have a right to drink and drive, because statistically you're likely to get away without incident.
TexasScientist
Doc Holliday said:

60 and under fatality rate is less than .002%

Let's put people in debt for the next 15 years!
We weren't faced with a binary choice of health or the economy. Trump just couldn't comprehend that. Masks, social distancing, contact tracing and isolation doesn't wreck the economy, if it's not too late already.
quash
nein51 said:

It would have been easier if it were pitched as "we need to protect your love ones." Once it became Red v Blue we were ****ed.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
nein51
TexasScientist said:

nein51 said:

Absolutely. Why not? It will save lives. They are already doing to a limited degree in some areas. Just not enough to be effective at anything.

Lol no.

A person who gives up liberty for freedom deserves neither.

It's not at all acceptable to allow the government access to that information. Sorry. And if 5 million people had to die I still wouldn't willingly give that up.

There is a 0% chance forced contact tracing passes judicial scrutiny.

Curious question not related directly: how did you feel about the Patriot Act?
nein51
quash said:

nein51 said:

It would have been easier if it were pitched as "we need to protect your love ones." Once it became Red v Blue we were ****ed.

Even that would not have worked.
blackie
nein51 said:

TexasScientist said:

nein51 said:

Lol no.

It's not at all acceptable to allow the government access to that information. Sorry. And if 5 million people had to die I still wouldn't willingly give that up.

IMO it is somewhat a mute point.....contact tracing. I just don't see how you would do it considering that people go into large stores for example and come in contact with hundreds of people they don't know and many that the store doesn't even know are present at the time. The phone tracing wouldn't work because in many locations those people don't even have cell phones and they pay with cash because they can't qualify for a credit card.

With the attitudes of the current generations and the liberty to the nth extreme types, I honestly don't know how this country could have survived WWII. Freedoms were "given up" readily during the war to help the war effort. Many readily surrendered their ultimate freedom....their "right" to avoid personal harm. The press would have blabbed out any troop movement plans because of the "public's right to know". Perhaps we have gotten to the point that we don't deserve "freedom". We are too stinking selfish, and "freedom " is defined as being able to do as I please, to hell with everybody else.
Jacques Strap
July 4 Total 1,308 | COVID 568
July 5 Total 1,307 | COVID 589
July 6 Total 1,362 | COVID 600
July 7 Total 1,364 | COVID 615
July 8 Total 1,394 | COVID 626

Canada2017
nein51 said:

N95 masks suck super hard. No way the average person would make it 8 hours a day with one on. Uncomfortable is not the right word.
All true.....but 10 days in a hospital would be worse.
quash
nein51 said:

quash said:

nein51 said:

Even that would not have worked.

Would have worked better. Look at the whole mask issue. And the rising numbers.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Booray
Abbott shuts down elective surgeries in 6 central Texas counties, including McLennan. Bell not included so the big Scott and White can go on for now.
Jacques Strap
Booray said:

Abbott shuts down elective surgeries in 6 central Texas counties, including McLennan. Bell not included so the big Scott and White can go on for now.
I wish he/they would leave that up to the hospitals (the experts).
Sam Lowry
Bearitto said:

TexasScientist said:

Bearitto said:

TexasScientist said:

Bearitto said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Bearitto said:

Sam Lowry said:

Osodecentx said:

Booray said:

Osodecentx said:

Booray said:

Jacques Strap said:

7/4 8,258
7/5 3,449
7/6 5,318

7/1 57
7/2 44
7/3 50
7/4 33
7/5 29
7/6 18

Compliance (voluntary) is the only way to give the pensioners that extra 3-6 months they have left. You will NEVER get contact tracing en masse in the US. We simply won't allow it. Nor should we.
Average loss of life expectancy is probably about 11 years.

But yeah, freedumb.
Sam Lowry
nein51 said:

TexasScientist said:

nein51 said:

Tough choice, you have to admit.
Oldbear83
Sam Lowry said:

nein51 said:

TexasScientist said:

nein51 said:

Especially in a wold where History is more likely to be mocked than learned.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
nein51
Sam Lowry said:

nein51 said:

TexasScientist said:

nein51 said:

If the option involves willingly allowing the government to track my phone, my contacts and all the people I have been in contact with then, no...it's not a tough choice at all.
Jacques Strap
http://balancedresponse.ca/open-letter/

Canada - Open Letter

Date: July 6, 2020

RE: Dealing with COVID-19: A Balanced Response

The undersigned represent current and past leaders in public health, health care systems and academia. We are writing to you to with our thoughts regarding a balanced approach to dealing with COVID-19 We strongly believe that population health and equity are important considerations that must be applied to future decisions regarding pandemic management.

The current approach to dealing with COVID-19 carries significant risks to overall population health and threatens to increase inequities across the country. Aiming to prevent or contain every case of COVID-19 is simply no longer sustainable at this stage in the pandemic. We need to accept that COVID-19 will be with us for some time and to find ways to deal with it.

The current and proposed measures for reopening will continue to disproportionately impact lower income groups, Black and other racialized groups, recent immigrants to Canada, Indigenous peoples and other populations. And it risks significantly harming our children, particularly the very young, by affecting their development, with life-long consequences in terms of education, skills development, income and overall health.
Canada must work to minimize the impact of COVID-19 by using measures that are practical, effective and compatible with our values and sense of social justice. We need to focus on preventing deaths and serious illness by protecting the vulnerable while enabling society to function and thrive.

Elimination of COVID-19 is not a practical objective for Canada until we have a vaccine. While there is hope for a vaccine to be developed soon, we must be realistic about the time it will actually take to develop and evaluate it and then deliver an immunization campaign covering the entire population. We cannot sustain universal control measures indefinitely.

We need to accept that there will be cases and outbreaks of COVID-19. We need localized control measures that are risk-based. We should consistently reassess quarantine and isolation periods, recommendations for physical distancing and non-medical masks, and travel restrictions based on current best evidence and levels of risk.
At the same time we must improve infection prevention and control in long-term care and congregate living settings. We should provide support for people living in the community who need to or choose to isolate when the disease is active, as well as those who have been adversely affected by COVID-19, or the consequences of the public health measures.
Canadians have developed a fear of COVID-19. Going forward, they have to be supported in understanding their true level of risk, and learning how to deal with this disease, while getting on with their lives back to work, back to school, and back to healthy lives and vibrant, active communities across this country.
We acknowledge the heroic work that has been done in recent months by many across all levels of government and the public and private sector, and the sacrifices that Canadians have made to get to this stage. As we look forward, Canada must balance its response to COVID-19.

Sincerely yours,

Robert Bell, MDCM, MSc, FRCSC, FACS
Former Deputy Minister of Health, Province of Ontario
Former President and CEO, University Health Network, Toronto

David Butler-Jones, MD, MHSc LLD(hc), DSc(hc), FRCPC, FACPM, FCFP, CCFP
Canada's first Chief Public Health Officer and former Deputy Minister for the Public Health Agency of Canada

Jean Clinton, BMus, MD, FRCPC
Clinical Professor, Psychiatry and Behavioural Neurosciences, McMaster University

Tom Closson, BASc, MBA, FCAE, PEng
Former President and CEO, University Health Network, Toronto
Former President and CEO, Capital Health Region, British Columbia

Janet Davidson, OC, BScN, MHSA, LLD(Hon)
Former Deputy Minister, Alberta Health
Former CEO, Trillium Health Centre

Martha Fulford, MA, MD, FRCPC
Infectious Diseases Specialist
Associate Professor, McMaster University

Vivek Goel, MDCM, MSc, SM, FRCPC, FCAHS
Professor, Dalla Lana School of Public Health, University of Toronto
Former President, Public Health Ontario

Joel Kettner, MD, MSc, FRCSC, FRCPC
Former Chief Public Health Officer, Province of Manitoba

Onye Nnorom, MDCM, CCFP, MPH, FRCPC
President, Black Physicians' Association of Ontario
Associate Program Director, Public Health and Preventive Medicine Residency Program
Dalla Lana School of Public Health, University of Toronto

Brian Postl, MD, FRCPC
Dean, Rady Faculty of Health Sciences and Vice- Provost, Health Sciences, University of Manitoba
Former President, Winnipeg Regional Health Authority

Neil Rau, MD, FCPC
Infectious Disease Specialist and Medical Microbiologist
Assistant Professor, University of Toronto

Richard Reznick, MD, FRCSC, FACS, FRCSEd (hon), FRCSI (hon), FRCS (hon)
Professor of Surgery and Dean Emeritus, Faculty of Health Sciences, Queen's University

Susan Richardson, MDCM, FCRPC
Professor Emerita, University of Toronto

Richard Schabas, MD, MHSC, FRCPC
Former Chief Medical Officer of Health, Province of Ontario
Former Chief of Medical Staff, York Central Hospital

Gregory Taylor, MD, FRCPC
Former Chief Public Health Officer of Canada

David Walker, MD, FRCPC
Former Dean of Health Sciences, Queens University
Chair, Ontario's Expert Panel on SARS, 2003

Catharine Whiteside, CM, MD, PhD, FRCPS(C), FCAHS
Executive Director, Diabetes Action Canada - CIHR SPOR Network
Emerita Professor and Former Dean of Medicine, University of Toronto

Trevor Young, MD, PhD, FRCPC, FCAHS
Professor of Psychiatry
Dean, Faculty of Medicine and Vice Provost, Relations with Health Care Institutions
University of Toronto
Jacques Strap
Canada - see above
http://balancedresponse.ca/statement/

Dealing With COVID-19: A Balanced Response
July 6, 2020

COVID-19 is a serious public health threat and will remain so until we have a universally available safe and effective vaccine or similar medical treatment. There have been many deaths due to COVID-19 and every single one represents a tragic outcome. However, in overall population health terms COVID-19's direct impact on premature mortality is small. While those under the age of 60 account for 65% of cases, they represent just 3% of deaths. With ready access to health services, severe outcomes can be averted in those who do not have pre-existing risk factors.

In March 2020, unprecedented public health measures were implemented in Canada in response to the rapid rate of growth of cases and the potential threat to health system. Because of the potential for exponential growth in cases and the situation in other parts of the world our governments took these actions that applied to the entire population in order to protect our health care system. These interventions were meant to buy the time necessary to develop a longer-term response. They should not be used as a means of eradicating the disease.

While some countries have been successful in suppressing the disease, most continue to see sporadic cases and outbreaks. Only a few countries, primarily island nations, appear to have eliminated the disease, but it is uncertain how long those countries can completely isolate themselves from the rest of the world.

The public health measures did protect our health care system, to the point that Canada had excess capacity. Our leaders and public health authorities had to use strong language to support universal acceptance of these measures. As a result, many Canadians have become fearful of COVID-19 and are worried about the impact of working, seeking routine and preventative medical care, participating in religious and cultural events, interacting with their family and friends, using public transportation, shopping and other normal activities.

COVID-19 control is an important public health priority but it is not the only nor the most important challenge to the health of people in Canada. We need to examine the broad social determinants of health and their impact on citizens, particularly with an equity lens, as the consequences of the public health measures have not been shared equally in society. Those in lower income groups, Black and other racialized groups, recent immigrants and Indigenous people are bearing disproportionate burden. The public health efforts must take account of the impacts of both the disease and the consequences of the control measures on all segments of the population.

The fundamental determinants of health - education, employment, social connection and medical and dental care - must take priority. Measures for COVID-19 control need to accommodate these health determinants. Children need to go to interact with their peers, in child care, schools, sports and social activities, and summer camps. Adults need to go to work. Family and friends need to meet.

The societal costs of maintaining these public health measures, even with some gradual relaxation, are too high. Canadians are missing scheduled medical appointments and surgeries, which will lead to increased deaths. There are significant challenges for our young with impact on early childhood development, one of the strongest predictors of life-long health and social outcomes. Education is compromised. There are increases in domestic violence, alcohol and drug intake, and food insecurity. The economic consequences are huge. This leads to increased unemployment which is related to increased deaths. And the toll on mental health is just beginning to be felt. Personal concerns about the disease, cases and deaths in friends and family, loneliness and isolation, worries about jobs and finances, parents having to juggle childcare and general insecurity are leading to increased levels of anxiety, depression and stress.

We need to shift from a mindset of attempting to eradicate this disease, which is not feasible and will lead to continued devastation of our society, to a new goal.

Our new goal: Minimize the impact of COVID-19 using methods that are practical, effective and compatible with our values and sense of social justice. We need to focus on preventing deaths and serious illness by protecting the vulnerable while allowing society to function.

Elimination of COVID-19 is not a practical objective for Canada until we have a vaccine. We need to accept that there will be cases and outbreaks of COVID-19. We should mitigate the effects of the disease with measures that are equitable, sustainable and acceptable. This includes testing and contact tracing, and ensuring that health services with access to the latest treatments are available for those who contract the disease.

Those at highest risk of severe consequences need to be offered effective protection from COVID-19, particularly those in long-term care institutions, but this protection must be respectful of their autonomy and allow them a reasonable quality of life.

Aside from the outbreaks in long-term care institutions, some of the most significant have been in other congregate living settings (homeless shelters, prisons, dormitories for temporary foreign agriculture workers) and work settings such as meat packing plants. Appropriate protections and supports are needed in such settings.

COVID-19 control must be balanced with basic human rights. People need to be empowered to make informed choices about their own lives and the level of risk they are prepared to accept. Universal public health measures are appropriate only when they are truly necessary, supported by strong evidence, and when there are no other alternatives.

Recommendations

[ol]
  • Carefully reopen schools, businesses and health care. Allow gatherings of friends and family. Provide practical guidance that allows citizens and institutions to operate safely and effectively. Restore public confidence that it is safe to go out, that appropriate precautions are in place, and conditions will be closely monitored.
  • [/ol]
    [ol]
  • Develop clear control plans for future outbreaks or resurgence of disease that are risk-based and focused so further universal lockdowns are not necessary.
  • [/ol]
    [ol]
  • Improve our disease surveillance so that we have an accurate picture of disease activity to make timely decisions and provide useful advice to Canadians. Ensure that public health has the resources to conduct timely and effective testing and contract tracing.
  • [/ol]
    [ol]
  • Provide clear guidance on appropriate use of viral (diagnostic) and antibody (serology) testing for health care providers, employers and community organizations. While testing is a critical element for control of COVID-19, it has to be done in a smart way. Indiscriminate testing, for example, daily testing of all employees in an office setting is less effective than testing of those with greater exposure to the general public.
  • [/ol]
    [ol]
  • Assess community risk in applying infection control approaches in different settings. Procedures that are appropriate for a hospital, with high risk of exposure, are not necessary across all of society. Control measures need to be evidence-based and address the level of risk in a particular setting and community. Measures should take account of costs and benefits at the individual and community level using a social determinants of health model and applying an equity lens.
  • [/ol]
    [ol]
  • Assess the appropriateness of recommendations for physical distancing from a risk benefit perspective. Where risk of community transmission is very low, the absolute benefits of physical separation are negligible, particularly if good hygiene is practiced and individuals with symptoms stay home.
  • [/ol]
    [ol]
  • Reassess quarantine and isolation periods based on current evidence. Strategies that use testing to further reduce this period should be examined. Review the restrictions on non-essential travel to all parts of the world. Travel should be restarted to countries where there is little community transmission.
  • [/ol]
    [ol]
  • Be clear on when the use of medical and non-medical masks is recommended. When advice varies based on local epidemiology, provide clear evidence-based criteria for decision-making. Any requirements for mandatory masks must be based on strong evidence with clear specification of where they are most appropriate (close quarters, congregate living settings, etc).
  • [/ol]
    [ol]
  • Improve infection prevention and control in long-term care as deaths have come mainly from a break down in these practices within some facilities.
  • [/ol]
    [ol]
  • Canadians must be better informed about their true level of risk from COVID-19. An accurate accessible risk assessment tool is a priority. This will help empower people to make informed decisions about how they choose to lead their lives. Help people understand and manage their fear and anxiety.
  • [/ol]
    [ol]
  • Provide support for vulnerable people living in the community who choose to isolate when the disease is active. Some individuals, even though at risk for severe disease, may wish to make informed decisions to carry on with normal life. Such choices should be respected and supported.
  • Ensure there are adequate supports for those individuals that have been adversely affected by COVID-19, or the consequences of the public health measures. In particular, support for mental health and addictions is essential as the potential toll on the population is massive.
  • [/ol]
    Sam Lowry
    nein51 said:

Sam Lowry said:

nein51 said:

TexasScientist said:

nein51 said:

If the option involves willingly allowing the government to track my phone, my contacts and all the people I have been in contact with then, no...it's not a tough choice at all.
    So which do you go with...freedom or liberty?
    Osodecentx
    Sam Lowry said:

nein51 said:

Sam Lowry said:

nein51 said:

TexasScientist said:

nein51 said:

I'm not offended by contact tracing (or wearing a mask, or social distancing, or frequent hand washing). I won't mandate it for anyone, but I'm deciding who I trust for future contacts.
    Oldbear83
    Sam Lowry said:

nein51 said:

Sam Lowry said:

nein51 said:

TexasScientist said:

nein51 said:

Rights and personal decision here.
    That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
    Jacques Strap
    TMC still has lots of beds availabe

https://www.tmc.edu/

TexasScientist
    nein51 said:

TexasScientist said:

nein51 said:

Lol no.

Contact tacing only works if people are voluntarily cooperative, which they should be if they have any concern for their fellow man.

Most parts of the PA on balance were needed. Parts of it I'm uneasy about.
    riflebear
    Chinese virologist exposing how China hid it

https://www.foxnews.com/world/chinese-virologist-coronavirus-cover-up-flee-hong-kong-whistleblower
    TexasScientist
    nein51 said:

Sam Lowry said:

nein51 said:

TexasScientist said:

nein51 said:

You might want to consider running with a better group of people, and staying out of low brow places so discovery isn't a concern. LOL
    Booray
    Bearitto said:

TexasScientist said:

Bearitto said:

TexasScientist said:

Bearitto said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Bearitto said:

Sam Lowry said:

Osodecentx said:

Booray said:

Osodecentx said:

Booray said:

Jacques Strap said:

7/4 8,258
    7/5 3,449
    7/6 5,318

7/1 57
    7/2 44
    7/3 50
    7/4 33
    7/5 29
    7/6 18

If you understood statistics, you would understand that a death never occurs before that person's actuarial life expectancy. While "US life expectancy" is 78.84 years on a macro level, the life expectancy of a US Male age 79 is 8.82 years. So saying that it is ok for 79 year-old people to die because that is about how long they were going to live anyway is the same as saying those other 8.82 years are meaningless.

Yes, we made mistakes in forcing Covid positives into high-risk environments. Those mistakes are no justification for continuing to expose people unnecessarily.

You cannot just "lock them up" voluntary or otherwise. Covid is running rampant through prisons and jails because even those locked up have to eat, get medical treatment etc, etc. and the outside world seeps in. And pretending that COvid's serious medical impact is limited to the elderly is just silly.

If our population rejects contact tracing, they get to enjoy their continued freedom from that form of government interference in their lives. They also get the consequences of lots of people dying, being sick, closed bars and restaurants, disrupted schools and on and on.

We do not have to have total lock downs; we do have to have major changes to our way of living until we have proven therapeutics and/or a vaccine. It sucks and it is going to hurt-a lot. Deal with it.
    Aliceinbubbleland
    Jacques Strap said:

Booray said:

He probably did but Scott and White had better lobbyists.
    whitetrash
    Aliceinbubbleland said:

Jacques Strap said:

Booray said:

He probably did but Scott and White had better lobbyists.
    Baylor Scott & White owns Hillcrest. Of course, a few weeks go they used the slowdown in non-virus hospital traffic as an excuse to terminate several medical specialists in Waco and direct the patient traffic to Temple instead.
    Jacques Strap
    TMC ICU
    July 4 Total 1,308 | COVID 568
    July 5 Total 1,307 | COVID 589
    July 6 Total 1,362 | COVID 600
    July 7 Total 1,364 | COVID 615
    July 8 Total 1,394 | COVID 626
    July 9 Total 1,394 | COVID 646

Doc Holliday
    We should all look at the big picture:

Fear is writ large and surrounded with neon lights. But we should be thankful that's it's not worse.

The virus has over a 99% survival rate and for those with comorbidities we have several weapons in our arsenal such as Hydroxychloroquine, convalescent plasma and ivermectin among others.

Guys this could be 90% or worse. Thank the lord it's not.

It's mostly elderly that are dying from it. They're already at risk from numerous viruses and infections and we should use strong measures to protect them. I think it's starting a good conversation about future pandemics and protecting the vulnerable.

Most people are wearing cloth masks, which according to recent studies, aren't effective enough to really make the difference the pro mask community expects. Id like to to see them push for N95 for better as to be consistent with their purpose.

The worst problem we're dealing with is managing how they're counting cases and deaths. I fear we may be getting a completely inaccurate picture of what's actually happening: which directs choices we make that hurt us tremendously in other areas of life which includes death/suicide and economic ruin.
    First Page Last Page
    Page 97 of 131

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.