Coronavirus updates here

431,869 Views | 4582 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Jacques Strap
TexasScientist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Jacques Strap said:

Jack Bauer said:

I feel like I'm in the Matrix...is this real?

Is this guy Cuomo claiming Florida cases are under-counted? This is the same state where Orlando TV news broke the story that testing sites with 9% positive were reporting 100% of the test they ran as positives.
His quesiton is based upon state health workers claiming Florida cases were under recorded by the state.
“It is impossible to get a man to understand something if his livelihood depends on him not understanding.” ~ Upton Sinclair
TexasScientist
Booray said:

Governor Abbott extends early voting and period for obtaining absentee voting by a week due to Corona. There is a decent leader in Abbott trying hard to get out. Probably will cost him re-election at the hands of the Dan Patricks, but still, good for him.
I think you're right. Dan Patrick is a key reason Republicans will likely lose control of the state house, and consequently redistricting of U.S. House seats from Texas.
“It is impossible to get a man to understand something if his livelihood depends on him not understanding.” ~ Upton Sinclair
Aliceinbubbleland
Booray said:

Governor Abbott extends early voting and period for obtaining absentee voting by a week due to Corona. There is a decent leader in Abbott trying hard to get out. Probably will cost him re-election at the hands of the Dan Patricks, but still, good for him.
Couldn't agree with you more. He is unfairly criticized. Patricks! Sheeze.
nein51
Really feels like this is something basically everyone is going to get at some point.
Aliceinbubbleland
Jack Bauer said:

Jacques Strap said:

Quote:

holy ****, Max Kellerman and Paul Finebaum are practically doing cartwheels at the news that sports will be cancelled!

I'll never understand all the sports writers/reporters whose salaries come from sports that are hoping the reboot fails. A mystery to me.
Osodecentx
Booray said:

Good analysis.
Abbott has done a pretty good job of balancing health and jobs. People in Texas have hope. Abbott stepped on the gas, jobs came back, cases surged, he took his foot off of the gas. Cases seem to be plateauing (it's early). When kids go back to school we'll have a surge in cases. Healthy kids won't be seriously threatened.

NYTimes has been running articles about the job devastation in NYC. New Yorkers don't have hope. 3,000 businesses closed for good, lower wage workers are gut shot, 1.25 million people lost there jobs, high income workers fleeing, Midtown just devastated, rental properties hurting, tax revenues way down, 87% decrease in subway riders. I actually feel sorry for New Yorkers. I think things are changing forever. We'll see.
Osodecentx
TexasScientist said:

Booray said:

I think you're right. Dan Patrick is a key reason Republicans will likely loose control of the state house, and consequently redistricting of U.S. House seats from Texas.
Repubs can lose the House. Redistricting will be decided in federal court.
Doc Holliday
nein51 said:

Really feels like this is something basically everyone is going to get at some point.
and 99.9% will be fine. Most wont even have mild symptoms.
TexasScientist
Osodecentx said:

TexasScientist said:

Booray said:

I think you're right. Dan Patrick is a key reason Republicans will likely loose control of the state house, and consequently redistricting of U.S. House seats from Texas.
The House draws congressional districts. If Democrats control the House, they'll control the lines, even with court intervention.
Osodecentx
TexasScientist said:

Osodecentx said:

TexasScientist said:

Booray said:

The House draws congressional districts. If Democrats control the House, they'll control the lines, even with court intervention.
Texas Senate has a say, too.

A bill probably won't be passed and signed by the governor.

I think it will be settled in fed court
quash
Doc Holliday said:

nein51 said:

Not if everybody gets it. One of the reasons the mortality rate has dropped is that the most vulnerable are getting more protection (my father had a stroke five weeks ago, I am the only family member who has seen him and my visits were prohibited on his third day in the makeshift ICU, as the regular ICU had been converted to a Rona ward) and the older compromised folks still engaged in the world have taken care of themselves, mostly by staying home. There are a ****load of Boomers and we want nothing to do with this.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Doc Holliday
quash said:

Doc Holliday said:

nein51 said:

Not if everybody gets it. One of the reasons the mortality rate has dropped is that the most vulnerable are getting more protection (my father had a stroke five weeks ago, I am the only family member who has seen him and my visits were prohibited on his third day in the makeshift ICU, as the regular ICU had been converted to a Rona ward) and the older compromised folks still engaged in the world have taken care of themselves, mostly by staying home. There are a ****load of Boomers and we want nothing to do with this.
Osodecentx
quash said:

Doc Holliday said:

nein51 said:

I need clarification.
"There are a ****load of Boomers and we want nothing to do with this." So to protect Boomers, we will prohibit healthy individuals from making a living or going out? Boomers are 21% of population. Everyone else is living for and being taxed for their wellbeing. Isolate them and let everyone else live. I thought that was the Libertarian way

The vulnerable need to self quarantine and let young people live
Doc Holliday
Osodecentx said:

quash said:

Doc Holliday said:

nein51 said:

I need clarification.
"There are a ****load of Boomers and we want nothing to do with this." So to protect Boomers, we will prohibit healthy individuals from making a living or going out? Boomers are 21% of population. Everyone else is living for and being taxed for their wellbeing. Isolate them and let everyone else live. I thought that was the Libertarian way

Nah I'm supposed to have my career in jeopardy to save lives. The government won't even give me a break. Hell my property taxes are being raised.

And yes COVID lockdowns and measures are seriously threatening my career. It's Easy for retired boomers to tell me to get over it, they're not staring down unemployment with ZERO jobs In their sector and a baby on the way.

I'm told my objections, questioning and fear of how we're handling this makes me a bad person.

Humanity sucks.
Florda_mike
Doc Holliday said:

nein51 said:

I'm still wondering why someone test positive for COVID and has no symptoms?

Sounds fishy to me

Like is the COVID test testing only for COVID, or is it testing for COVID and several other things, shows positive for other things, and is therefore positive for COVID?

Sorta like dying of heart disease while having COVID is a COVID death even though the dead showed no COVID symptoms

Upside down America right now

Inmates running the asylum
George Truett
Florda_mike said:

Doc Holliday said:

nein51 said:

I'm still wondering why someone test positive for COVID and has no symptoms?

Sounds fishy to me

Like is the COVID test testing only for COVID, or is it testing for COVID and several other things, shows positive for other things, and is therefore positive for COVID?

Sorta like dying of heart disease while having COVID is a COVID death even though the dead showed no COVID symptoms

Upside down America right now

Inmates running the asylum
Have you never heard of a "Typhoid Mary"? Those were people who during Typhoid epidemics had no symptoms but spread the disease. They were considered especially dangerous.

For example, right now in our church, our youth minister's daughter picked up COVID at her place of work. Had no symptoms but tested positive. Her boyfriend and others caught it from her. Her boyfriend is very sick.

That's what makes COVID spread so much. People are walking around with it and don't know they have it. The great majority don't get sick, but some get terribly sick and some die.

Even if you have heart disease, you could still have a life expectancy of 10 or more years. I know a man who had bypass surgery at 40. So if he gets COVID, he's at high risk.

And COVID tests are only for COVID.

Reality is difficult but denial won't get us through this.
George Truett
Doc Holliday said:

Osodecentx said:

quash said:

Doc Holliday said:

nein51 said:

I need clarification.

Nah I'm supposed to have my career in jeopardy to save lives. The government won't even give me a break. Hell my property taxes are being raised.

And yes COVID lockdowns and measures are seriously threatening my career. It's Easy for retired boomers to tell me to get over it, they're not staring down unemployment with ZERO jobs In their sector and a baby on the way.

I'm told my objections, questioning and fear of how we're handling this makes me a bad person.

Humanity sucks.
I totally understand your concerns. All this is bringing ruin to good, hard-working people like you.

I don't blame you for being fearful. Sounds like you have a lot on you.

The key to getting through this was doing what other countries have done: have a severe lockdown and reopen only when you have widespread testing and contact tracing.

We also needed a national policy on testing, etc.

We didn't get that.

Had we gotten those things, we would be reopening the way other countries are.

You have every right to be angry. But I don't think you're directing your anger in the right direction. You can say the American press, etc. is exaggerating this. But you have to look around the world and you see the virus devastating other countries and how for the most part they've handled it better than we have.

We won't get a handle on this until we have a strong national policy. That's the way other countries have done it.

Until we do, good people like you are going to continue to suffer.
Florda_mike
Other countries found a cure in Hydroxychloroquine

That's the "national policy" you speak of and your dimcrat Marxists are bent on burying it too!

They don't give a d-a-m-n about doc, you or me

All they want is to have Trump gone

To H-E-L-L with the economy

What we're seeing is a preview of what it looks like forever in our country if Biden wins! Well, 1/100 of what it'll look like
Doc Holliday
COVID is not asymptomatic.
Oldbear83
Masks are necessary

Washing hands is necessary

Distance is necessary

Closing businesses is fascism

Stop pretending otherwise.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
LTbear
Nowadays Trump is retweeting the anti-mask ramblings of a doctor who also preaches that endometriosis, infertility, and other problems are caused by sex with demons, witches, and the astral projections of Satanists.

Just when you think you understand how stupid Trump really is, he takes his idiocy to completely new levels.
quash
Osodecentx said:

quash said:

Doc Holliday said:

nein51 said:

I need clarification.

No. Look at the concluding phrase of the preceding sentence.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Texasjeremy
BY US CENSUS REGION

MIDWEST - IL, IN, IA, KS, MI, MN, MO, NE, ND, OH, SD, WI
NORTHEAST - CT, ME, MA, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT
SOUTH - AL, AR, DE, DC, FL, GA, KY, LA, MD, MS, NC, OK, SC, TN, TX, VA, WV
WEST - AK, AZ, CA, CO, HI, ID, MT, NV, NM, OR, UT, WA, WY

POPULATION
1. SOUTH - 127,148,532 (38.4%)
2. WEST - 79,404,767 (24.0%)
2. MIDWEST - 68,626,970 (20.7%)
3. NORTHEAST - 56,138,911 (16.9%)

CORONAVIRUS CASES
1. SOUTH - 1,797,851 (42.7%)
2. NORTHEAST - 895,023 (21.3%)
3. WEST - 858,146 (20.4%)
4. MIDWEST - 658,489 (15.6%)

CORONAVIRUS DEATHS
1. NORTHEAST - 69,757 (47.7%)
2. SOUTH - 33,753 (23.1%)
3. MIDWEST - 25,603 (17.5%)
4. WEST - 17,218 (11.8%)

CASES PER 100K
1,594 - NORTHEAST
1,414 - SOUTH
1,081 - WEST
960 - MIDWEST

DEATHS PER 100K
124 - NORTHEAST
37 - MIDWEST
27 - SOUTH
22 - WEST

DEATHS PER CASE
7.79% - NORTHEAST
3.89% - MIDWEST
2.01% - WEST
1.88% - SOUTH
Jacques Strap
To follow up on Jeremy's post...

South Cases / South Deaths: 33,753 / 1,797,581 = 1.8%

If the CDC chief estimate is correct and cases are 10 times higher than reported then the fatality rate in the South moves from 1.8% to 0.18%.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/06/25/coronavirus-cases-10-times-larger/

Quote:

CDC chief says coronavirus cases may be 10 times higher than reported

The number of people in the United States who have been infected with the coronavirus is likely to be 10 times as high as the 2.4 million confirmed cases, based on antibody tests, the head of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Thursday.
bear2be2
Texasjeremy said:

BY US CENSUS REGION

POPULATION

CORONAVIRUS CASES

CORONAVIRUS DEATHS
4. WEST - 17,218 (11.8%)

CASES PER 100K
1,594 - NORTHEAST
1,414 - SOUTH
1,081 - WEST
960 - MIDWEST

DEATHS PER 100K
124 - NORTHEAST
37 - MIDWEST
27 - SOUTH
22 - WEST

DEATHS PER CASE
7.79% - NORTHEAST
3.89% - MIDWEST
2.01% - WEST
1.88% - SOUTH

I'm not sure what to make of these numbers exactly, but I think it's worth noting that the northeast got hit hardest before we had readily available testing, so those case numbers are probably way off.

I think we can also provide probably conclude at this point that population density is a major factor here. Being spread out and/or rural makes a big difference.
Jack Bauer
bear2be2 said:

Texasjeremy said:

BY US CENSUS REGION

POPULATION

CORONAVIRUS CASES

CORONAVIRUS DEATHS
4. WEST - 17,218 (11.8%)

CASES PER 100K
1,594 - NORTHEAST
1,414 - SOUTH
1,081 - WEST
960 - MIDWEST

DEATHS PER 100K
124 - NORTHEAST
37 - MIDWEST
27 - SOUTH
22 - WEST

DEATHS PER CASE
7.79% - NORTHEAST
3.89% - MIDWEST
2.01% - WEST
1.88% - SOUTH

I'm not sure what to make of these numbers exactly, but I think it's worth noting that the northeast got hit hardest before we had readily available testing, so those case numbers are probably way off.

I think we can also provide probably conclude at this point that population density is a major factor here. Being spread out and/or rural makes a big difference.
Also, putting Covid patients back into nursing homes. Probably one of the worst decisions by a governor in years.
bear2be2
Booray said:

I've been largely pleased with the job Abbott has done. There only two issues I have with his response are fast-tracking the reopening's phases before the federal guidelines recommended and dragging his feet on the mask mandate. But he's shown quality leadership for the most part, particularly when compared to the president and several other southern governors.
Jack Bauer
bear2be2 said:

Booray said:

I've been largely pleased with the job Abbott has done. There only two issues I have with his response are fast-tracking the reopening's phases before the federal guidelines recommended and drain his feet on the mask mandate. But he's shown quality leadership for the most part, particularly when compared to the president and several other southern governors.
Southern governors? What about the governors with the 7 highest counts of Covid deaths in the North/West?
bear2be2
Jack Bauer said:

bear2be2 said:

Texasjeremy said:

BY US CENSUS REGION

POPULATION

CORONAVIRUS CASES

CORONAVIRUS DEATHS
4. WEST - 17,218 (11.8%)

CASES PER 100K
1,594 - NORTHEAST
1,414 - SOUTH
1,081 - WEST
960 - MIDWEST

DEATHS PER 100K
124 - NORTHEAST
37 - MIDWEST
27 - SOUTH
22 - WEST

DEATHS PER CASE
7.79% - NORTHEAST
3.89% - MIDWEST
2.01% - WEST
1.88% - SOUTH

Also, putting Covid patients back into nursing homes. Probably one of the worst decisions by a governor in years.

Agreed.
Bruin
Jack Bauer said:

bear2be2 said:

Booray said:

I've been largely pleased with the job Abbott has done. There only two issues I have with his response are fast-tracking the reopening's phases before the federal guidelines recommended and drain his feet on the mask mandate. But he's shown quality leadership for the most part, particularly when compared to the president and several other southern governors.
Southern governors? What about the governors with the 7 highest counts of Covid deaths in the North/West?
Come now Jack, those deaths were caused by the bad orange man..
bear2be2
Jack Bauer said:

bear2be2 said:

Booray said:

I cut those who got hit before we had any reliable data on this virus some slack. I don't hold anyone accountable for being caught flat-footed at the beginning. But those who continue to deny science as more data becomes available are a dangerous breed of stupid.
Jack Bauer
bear2be2 said:

Jack Bauer said:

bear2be2 said:

Booray said:

I cut those who got hit before we had any reliable data on this virus some slack. I don't hold anyone accountable for being caught flat-footed by this virus. But those who continue to deny science as more data becomes available are a dangerous breed of stupid.
I agree. But hard to take these leaders seriously when they allow and participate in these activities with mass gatherings.

Doc Holliday
bear2be2 said:

Jack Bauer said:

bear2be2 said:

Booray said:

I cut those who got hit before we had any reliable data on this virus some slack. I don't hold anyone accountable for being caught flat-footed at the beginning. But those who continue to deny science as more data becomes available are a dangerous breed of stupid.
We could save the 1% of COVID by going extreme with measures. It would have the effect of killing 2% by suicide.

Easily.
Florda_mike
LTbear said:

Nowadays Trump is retweeting the anti-mask ramblings of a doctor who also preaches that endometriosis, infertility, and other problems are caused by sex with demons, witches, and the astral projections of Satanists.

Just when you think you understand how stupid Trump really is, he takes his idiocy to completely new levels.

^^^ Pretty comical take

TDS bigly ..... again, from peanut gallery
Canada2017
You can't blame the politicians....when thousands of morons STILL crowd into restaurants, bars and health clubs .

Still refuse to social distance or wear masks .

Still fly in airplanes without quarantining for 2 weeks prior ....knowing damn well they could potentially infect half the people on board .

We are a stupid, selfish , self destructive species .

First Page Last Page
Page 105 of 131

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.