Call it: How many US deaths from COVID-19, and why?

24,407 Views | 278 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Robert Wilson
Waco1947
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quash said:

Canon said:

quash said:

Yeah, last thing in the time line is over a year old. The WHO study is far more recent.

The WHO study is a WHO 'study'.
Your fear of science nothwithstanding, you can read the study itself, I linked to it. Many times I have pointed out that popular news reports on science can cover the whole spectrum of politics while covering the same facts. Read the primary source and tell me what you think they got wrong.

"Read the primary source". Quash nails it.
Oldbear83
Waco1947 said:

quash said:

Canon said:

quash said:

Yeah, last thing in the time line is over a year old. The WHO study is far more recent.

The WHO study is a WHO 'study'.
Your fear of science nothwithstanding, you can read the study itself, I linked to it. Many times I have pointed out that popular news reports on science can cover the whole spectrum of politics while covering the same facts. Read the primary source and tell me what you think they got wrong.

"Read the primary source". Quash nails it.
Especially when the "primary source" is written in Beijing.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Osodecentx
quash said:

Go to the link

I stopped because thought my post was too long. The WaPo article is from last week
quash
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

quash said:

BaylorBJM said:

Yep. I actually bumped something similar a few weeks ago calling myself out for potentially being wrong on thinking it wasn't a lab leak.

Once new and tangible evidence began to present itself, I reassessed, looked at all sides, and admitted I very likely was wrong and subsequently changed my opinion.

And see? It's not so bad. I call myself out all the time for being wrong on the football board. It's part of being an adult and having adult conversations. If you don't become so married to your opinions and let them define you, there can be real room for intellectual growth and conversation.

You should try it sometime. Bumping your post from your other sock earlier in this thread where you missed the total COVID death count by nearly a factor of 1000 would be a good start.

What is the new evidence in favor of lab creation?

Sounds like you have your mind made up.

Sounds like you have had it made up for a year.
I asked about new evidence, that's how I make decisions. If my mind were made up I'd be ignoring evidence like you 53% types do.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
quash
Osodecentx said:

quash said:

Go to the link

I stopped because thought my post was too long. The WaPo article is from last week
Ah, I see the rest of it. Sounds like further investigation is needed. Based on what we know so far, as opposed to what we don't know, the betting odds have changed and now natural and lab leak are closer than they were.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Osodecentx
quash said:

Osodecentx said:

quash said:

Go to the link

Ah, I see the rest of it. Sounds like further investigation is needed. Based on what we know so far, as opposed to what we don't know, the betting odds have changed and now natural and lab leak are closer than they were.
yep
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
quash said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

quash said:

BaylorBJM said:

Yep. I actually bumped something similar a few weeks ago calling myself out for potentially being wrong on thinking it wasn't a lab leak.

Once new and tangible evidence began to present itself, I reassessed, looked at all sides, and admitted I very likely was wrong and subsequently changed my opinion.

And see? It's not so bad. I call myself out all the time for being wrong on the football board. It's part of being an adult and having adult conversations. If you don't become so married to your opinions and let them define you, there can be real room for intellectual growth and conversation.

You should try it sometime. Bumping your post from your other sock earlier in this thread where you missed the total COVID death count by nearly a factor of 1000 would be a good start.

I asked about new evidence, that's how I make decisions. If my mind were made up I'd be ignoring evidence like you 53% types do.

I really don't care one way or another. I think with this President, it will be a waste of time. The end result will be the same. Biden will do nothing. China owns Biden.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Waco1947
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

quash said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

quash said:

BaylorBJM said:

Do nothing?
What would Biden "do" to satisfy you?

I really don't care one way or another. I think with this President, it will be a waste of time. The end result will be the same. Biden will do nothing. China owns Biden.
Canada2017
Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

quash said:

Shakesbear said:

World wide as of 8 minutes ago:

885687 - confirmed cases
44216 - deaths
4.99% death rate

United States as of 8 minutes ago:

190509 - confirmed cases
4118 - deaths
2.16% death rate

The death rate for the US has risen above the 2% mark for the first time, and that is bad news. I was really hoping we could keep it at no more than 2%, which is still way too high. Stay safe out there, and wash ya dam hands

As ATL keeps saying we can't know the death rate without an accurate infection count.

Without a viable drug treatment ......we will have over 250,000 dead by October .

Without a viable drug treatment....the economy will continue to crash . People will be subject to a level of poverty that hasn't been seen since the 1930's .

Without a viable vaccine by December .....world wide losses will be in the millions .

Pretty good prediction
Grad school epidemiology and repeatedly reading about the 1918 Spanish Influenza over the last 35 years helped.

Yet I was still too optimistic .

Knew vaccines would be developed in record time since 70% of the RNA sequence was already known last March,....... but the development of viable therapeutics was a bigger challenge than expected.

quash
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

quash said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

quash said:

BaylorBJM said:

Which Biden policies do you see as benefitting his owner?

He has yet to end the tariffs. Is that one?

jupiter

Doc Holliday
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
quash said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

quash said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

quash said:

BaylorBJM said:

You are smarter than this. Tariffs punish Americans and American companies. Not China. Tariffs were wrong under Trump and are even more punitive under Biden. No reason for Joe to remove them. He can blame Trump and continue to screw over American companies and the American consumer.

I am no fan of tariffs under ANY administration, whether it be Republican or Democrat.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Florda_mike
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

quash said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

quash said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

quash said:

BaylorBJM said:

You are smarter than this. Tariffs punish Americans and American companies. Not China. Tariffs were wrong under Trump and are even more punitive under Biden. No reason for Joe to remove them. He can blame Trump and continue to screw over American companies and the American consumer.

I am no fan of tariffs under ANY administration, whether it be Republican or Democrat.

1. How do you see the massive tariffs that China puts on American products sold to China? Is this OK?

2. Since that makes American products unable to be sold in China what would YOU DO, if President, to aid international sales to China?
quash
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

quash said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

quash said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

quash said:

BaylorBJM said:

So which policies then?
Doc Holliday
quash said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

quash said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

quash said:

BaylorBJM said:

Doing nothing about China is benefiting China. Joe has done nothing.
Florda_mike
Doc Holliday said:

quash said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

quash said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

quash said:

BaylorBJM said:

Of course you're right Doc

Joe and Sons Inc make 10s of millions annually from China but the fool you're replying to has no clue it exists

Hand in sand type feller
Doc Holliday
Florda_mike said:

Doc Holliday said:

quash said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

quash said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

quash said:

BaylorBJM said:

Joe and Sons Inc make 10s of millions annually from China but the fool you're replying to has no clue it exists

Hand in sand type feller
People who hate the right will avoid negative criticism of Dems/left because they think it helps the right. All while the right openly dislikes the GOP.

Hunter made millions through Joe, Iran is obtaining nuclear weapons, Russian sanctions have been lifted and the proof that China took advantage of a virus from a lab leak is being confirmed.

The media's main focus is what kind of ice cream Joe likes.
quash
Doc Holliday said:

quash said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

quash said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

quash said:

BaylorBJM said:

What would you have him do?
Florda_mike
Doc Holliday said:

Florda_mike said:

Doc Holliday said:

quash said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

quash said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

quash said:

BaylorBJM said:

Hand in sand type feller
People who hate the right will avoid negative criticism of Dems/left because they think it helps the right. All while the right openly dislikes the GOP.

Hunter made millions through Joe, Iran is obtaining nuclear weapons, Russian sanctions have been lifted and the proof that China took advantage of a virus from a lab leak is being confirmed.

The media's main focus is what kind of ice cream Joe likes.

As ****ing all of DC basks in their new international deals/scams that once again make them tens of millions individually annually in addition to their relative -$0- government incomes

Seems it was Pelosi that spent $10m of her own money to get elected. Why else would she unless the perks for doing it was astronomical?
Florda_mike
quash said:

Doc Holliday said:

quash said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

quash said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

quash said:

BaylorBJM said:

Oh idk Mr Clueless

As I innocently ask you, "what would you have him do?"

My gosh your stupid. How could a man be so dam dumb?
Waco1947
Doc Holliday said:

quash said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

quash said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

quash said:

BaylorBJM said:

What you have Joe do?
Florda_mike
Waco1947 said:

Doc Holliday said:

quash said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

quash said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

quash said:

BaylorBJM said:

What you have Joe do?

He's wondering what your clueless ax would do?

We actually know though

You're weak and passive and know nothing of business just like Biden, democrats and RINOs

You'd let China buy you, just like Biden, then you'd let China tariff our products to death and not let our manufacturers tariff China at all killing American jobs just like big ears obomb did, your golden goose

You're a 1000% imbiscile, 1000%
Doc Holliday
quash said:

Doc Holliday said:

quash said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

quash said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

quash said:

BaylorBJM said:

Blame Covid on China.

Remove China debt obligations ($1.1 trillion).
Send them a bill for 4.0 trillion more (stimulus money and money for every one of the 585,000 dead Americans) .

Prohibit select imports: start with electronics and move on.
Give incentives to send factories to Mexico (lowers demand to cross border) and southern US.

Pull American factories and technology out of China.

quash
Doc Holliday said:

quash said:

Doc Holliday said:

quash said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

quash said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

quash said:

BaylorBJM said:

Blame Covid on China.

Send them a bill for 4.0 trillion more (stimulus money and money for every one of the 585,000 dead Americans) .

Give incentives to send factories to Mexico (lowers demand to cross border) and southern US.

That's a lot of state interference in private property. Like, you know, China...
Doc Holliday
quash said:

Doc Holliday said:

quash said:

Doc Holliday said:

quash said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

quash said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

quash said:

BaylorBJM said:

Blame Covid on China.

That's a lot of state interference in private property. Like, you know, China...
That's what we get for selling out for decades. We have no other options.
bear2be2
Florda_mike said:

You're a 1000% imbiscile, 1000%
More unintentional irony from the board's walking dunce cap.
ATL Bear
Doc Holliday said:

quash said:

Doc Holliday said:

quash said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

quash said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

quash said:

BaylorBJM said:

Blame Covid on China.

What does "Remove China debt obligations" mean?

And Chinese manufacturing does things neither US nor Mexican manufacturing can from a labor, logistics and supply chain integration standpoint. And I'm not talking about low wages either. Foxconn's facility that produces iPhones and iPads among other things employs twice as many people as GM has in its entire company. That's a single facility to repeat. They, Foxconn (a Taiwanese company mind you), have facilities all over the world, but even they would admit they couldn't replicate something like that here. Heck they've all but abandoned the big plans they touted with Trump a few years ago.

We'd have to make some enormous paradigm shifts, and they're not the progressive pro union type either, in order to become a global electronics producer.
Canon
Bump
jupiter

From 2015

Whiskey Pete
Oldbear83 said:

Just want to document now what you think will happen.

What will be the total death count in the US for 2020 from COVID-19?

The 2020 death rate will be tens upon tens of million of deaths right up until January 20th. From January 20th, 2021 - December 31st, 2021 deaths will be less than 1,000
Whiskey Pete
Bearitto said:

bularry said:

What economy destroying measures?

Are you serious?
No he's a leftist
jupiter
NNT and YBY's warning to the world Jan 26 2020

https://necsi.edu/systemic-risk-of-pandemic-via-novel-pathogens-coronavirus-a-note
Robert Wilson
Yes, Taleb wrote The Black Swan and Antifragile. He likes to think about, inter alia, rare/unpredictable outlier events and creating robustness to them. Like a lot of people, he was so scared of the potential results of covid that he advocated running around tearing down Chesteron's fences as fast as possible without calculating the value of the fences.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.