Was It Worth It?

44,206 Views | 498 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Waco1947
Kyle
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The International Monetary Fund said Tuesday that the novel coronavirus will likely push the global economy into its worst recession since the Great Depression, warning that prospects over a global rebound are highly uncertain.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/imf-the-great-lockdown-to-be-worst-recession-since-great-depression-123009231.html

Not nothing, but fewer deaths than H1H1 and the flu so far, and we've launched the second Depression in history ... and you do not think there is a phantom menace?
Oldbear83
Kyle said:

The International Monetary Fund said Tuesday that the novel coronavirus will likely push the global economy into its worst recession since the Great Depression, warning that prospects over a global rebound are highly uncertain.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/imf-the-great-lockdown-to-be-worst-recession-since-great-depression-123009231.html

Not nothing, but fewer deaths than H1H1 and the flu so far, and we've launched the second Depression in history ... and you do not think there is a phantom menace?
A lot of posts tend to link saving lives with the economic damage. While both are valid priorities, I do not agree that the two are necessarily linked in the way so often presented. Since this thread focuses on the economic condition, I will address that here.

I see several parts to the current economic crisis:

1. The direct cost of fighting the pandemic
2. The actions taken by Russia and Saudi Arabia to destabilize the energy industry in order to attack US fracking companies
3. Damage done to the economy through indirect pandemic responses

Without getting too far into the weeds, I think it is reasonable to make two assumptions, those being that each person speaks from their understanding and expertise (for example, Dr. Fauci is eminently qualified to speak to medical details, but he has no qualifications in Public Policy nor in Economics, and so should not offer opinions in those areas), and that no one in the United States is maliciously attacking our economy.

Waco1947
Yes I am serious. It's really unhelpful to claim "hysteria." What's the point? People rushed out and bought all the TP but the market adjusted.
Waco1947
quash
That parachute really slowed your rate of descent. Go ahead and remove it...
Oldbear83
quash said:

Stay in your cave, there might be another asteroid, it's only been 65 million years ...
quash
Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Stay in your cave, there might be another asteroid, it's only been 65 million years ...
Staying in a cave won't protect others from an asteroid.
Bearitto
quash said:

Yeah, jumping off a curb was never so safe.
Canon
Bump
Waco1947
Kyle said:

So far, 97 people have died. Each day, 102 people die in automobile accidents.

We're at least 15,000 deaths away from reaching H1N1 totals, and 20,000 away from annual influenza totals.

Was it worth it to destroy tens of millions of lives as well as our economy?

Was it worth it to try and win an election?

What will put a bigger strain on health care, 5,000 Wuhan Virus cases or a 20% unemployment rate?
Do you still stand by this post?
Waco1947

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.