Was It Worth It?

44,187 Views | 498 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Waco1947
Kyle
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So far, 97 people have died. Each day, 102 people die in automobile accidents.

We're at least 15,000 deaths away from reaching H1N1 totals, and 20,000 away from annual influenza totals.

Was it worth it to destroy tens of millions of lives as well as our economy?

Was it worth it to try and win an election?

What will put a bigger strain on health care, 5,000 Wuhan Virus cases or a 20% unemployment rate?
contrario
We'll know in November. This could backfire on the democrats if Trump gets us out of this and the economy begins to recover before the election.

Every person I've talked to, regardless of age, race or political affiliation knows the hysteria is ridiculous. That doesn't mean they think the virus isn't dangerous, it absolutely is, but the panic is disproportionate to the actual threat. And most people are seeing that.
riflebear
contrario said:

We'll know in November. This could backfire on the democrats if Trump gets us out of this and the economy begins to recover before the election.

Every person I've talked to, regardless of age, race or political affiliation knows the hysteria is ridiculous. That doesn't mean they think the virus isn't dangerous, it absolutely is, but the panic is disproportionate to the actual threat. And most people are seeing that.
Trump will not get us out of this. I don't care who is in the White House - it's going to have to be a drug that slows the spread or summer which halts this dramatically. There is nothing the govt can do w/ the Fed, etc that will help right now w/ the markets. It's a waiting game to see how fast and how far the spread goes before it slows. It's one thing if everyone was working while we wait, but when most of the country's hourly employees are going to lose their jobs that's just a # you can't fathom right now.

Adding another $1T+ to the deficit in the next few weeks is going to be brutal and I doubt we see the markets rise anywhere near they were for a long time, definitely not before the election.

contrario
riflebear said:

contrario said:

Trump will not get us out of this. I don't care who is in the White House - it's going to have to be a drug that slows the spread or summer which halts this dramatically. There is nothing the govt can do w/ the Fed, etc that will help right now w/ the markets. It's a waiting game to see how fast and how far the spread goes before it slows. It's one thing if everyone was working while we wait, but when most of the country's hourly employees are going to lose their jobs that's just a # you can't fathom right now.

Adding another $1T+ to the deficit in the next few weeks is going to be brutal and I doubt we see the markets rise anywhere near they were for a long time, definitely not before the election.

The natural progression of the disease says otherwise. In the countries that were first hit (China and S Korea), they have already experienced a peak and a significant reduction in fatalities and new cases has occurred. There is no reason to think we won't have a similar progression in the coming weeks.
Kyle
contrario said:

Yes, but when are influential people going to start calling for return to normality. When are Establishment leaders going to put people and country above politics and principle?
PartyBear
You keep talking about the progresson of other countries particularly China as if it was just a 3 or so week cycle. China's peak just ended last week 3 months after the outbreak and a month after hitting peak, accordiing to China who I suspect is putting the rosiest picture on their situation. Even if our case is like how they are painting theirs, we wont be coming out the peak until June. Then there is Italy.......
riflebear
contrario said:

riflebear said:

contrario said:

The natural progression of the disease says otherwise. In the countries that were first hit (China and S Korea), they have already experienced a peak and a significant reduction in fatalities and new cases has occurred. There is no reason to think we won't have a similar progression in the coming weeks.
And those two countries took drastic measures to cut it off after it got bad. We are doing some of that but not all of it, this thing will not slow down in the U.S. anytime soon especially in large cities w/out a miracle drug or hopefully warm weather coming early.

My biggest concern is the economy, there is no way to continue this trajectory w/out serious consequences.

Some areas of the country are in total lock down preparing for it, some areas still have restaurants and activities open. There is no way all of America can shut down like those countries did.
Kyle
PartyBear said:

You keep talking about the progresson of other countries particularly China as if it was just a 3 or so week cycle. China's peak just ended last week 3 months after the outbreak and a month after hitting peak, accordiing to China who I suspect is putting the rosiest picture on their situation. Even if our case is like how they are painting theirs, we wont be coming out the peak until June. Then there is Italy.......
1.3% mortality rate in the U.S.

Are we going to do this every time this happens moving forward or is this just an anti-Trump tour de force?
contrario
PartyBear said:

That's the thing though, it is about a 3 week cycle. This website has good information that is updated daily:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

We can argue that the China numbers are likely off, but S Korea numbers are probably pretty accurate. At at about 3 weeks from when it started to increase rapidly, it peaks. Italy, France, Spain and the US are all around the 2 week mark, so we are at the point where S Korea and China were looking really bad. But at some point this is going to peak, and it's going to be in the next couple of weeks, especially with the amount of measures we have taken privately and publicly.

I know this doesn't fit the narrative you have in your head and what you are hearing from the opportunistic alarmists, but this is what can be extrapolated from the data we have.

From what I can tell, the virus spreads pretty easily, but it doesn't seem to be all that lethal of a virus. That is to say, the people that are currently dying from the virus are the same people that very likely could have died this year if they had contracted the flu. What's particularly bad about this virus is it appears easier for those individuals to contract this virus than the flu, so that's what is troublesome for people in those groups. But for the general population, it appears it will be tough to deal with the symptoms, but almost all otherwise healthy people fully recover with no long-lasting side effects.
blackie
What will go a good way to help is to abandon this notion that young people can continue going on as they have before. They are a key to stopping this thing from spreading. And the notion that they are somewhat not effected is starting to be exposed as BS. Last night on the news in Dallas, it was mentioned there were three hospitalizations. One was elderly, but the other two were in their 20s and 30s and nothing was said about them having underlying conditions. And now I am hearing that reports are coming out of Europe that younger people are getting serious conditions. It is not just the elderly at risk. We are all at risk. But if the younger ones take the attitude as I have seen by a few in this forum, that they just continue on as normal, all they are doing is making things worse, both health-wise and the effect on the economy by just further spreading the virus.

Some in the financial world have said the best thing to do would be to just shutdown now for 30 days and everyone go home, leaving only essential operations going while providing financial support for shuttered businesses and employees thrown out of work (which is being discussed). This would be far more recoverable than a continuous waterfall of industries shutting down over the next 6 months or whatever. This argument can be debated and I am not going into that. However, it just makes logical sense to know that if a segment of our population refuses to avoid crowds they themselves create, this is only going to get more widespread and lengthy.

I also don't understand the logic behind suspending public gatherings of 50 or more while still having restaurants, bars, and the like continue, even with restrictions in place on how many they can have (most would still be far more than 50). Does it matter if the infection is being spread in a public gathering versus in a restaurant or bar, of course not, it is still spreading.

Until there is a cure or vaccine, a shutdown may unfortunately be the only effective weapon we have, to doing anything to stop the spread and at the same time not overwhelm our medical system such that even common day emergencies cannot be addressed. Yes, it will tank the economy, but if you are dead or seriously ill or your child or parent is grossly affected, is the economy your first concern.....probably not. And if this isn't stopped there won't be any economy left anyway. It does seem this conclusion is starting to sink in with the administration.
PartyBear
We are in the 3rd week of it now. Do you really think it is almost over here?
blackie
Kyle said:

PartyBear said:

Are we going to do this every time this happens moving forward or is this just an anti-Trump tour de force?
So, is Trump's future your real concern? Even he is starting to sound like it is not.
ATL Bear
PartyBear said:

The virus was here in January and likely earlier because we knew nothing about it. I don't know what "over" looks like. If it's 0 new cases, that's not happening for a year or more.
contrario
PartyBear said:

Cases started to increase around March 2nd according to the site I provided. We just finished week 2. In 1 to 2 weeks we will see a peak. If it wasn't so morbid and people wouldn't accuse me of being crass, I would put good money on it reaching a peak in 2 weeks or less.
ATL Bear
contrario said:

PartyBear said:

Cases started to increase around March 2nd according to the site I provided. We are firmly in week 2. In 1 to 2 weeks we will see a peak. If it wasn't so morbid and people wouldn't accuse me of being crass, I would put good money on it reaching a peak in 2 weeks or less.
Cases increased because we started testing. If we had the number of tests we needed, it would look much worse right now. But fatalities would be and are low comparatively speaking.
contrario
ATL Bear said:

contrario said:

PartyBear said:

Cases started to increase around March 2nd according to the site I provided. We are firmly in week 2. In 1 to 2 weeks we will see a peak. If it wasn't so morbid and people wouldn't accuse me of being crass, I would put good money on it reaching a peak in 2 weeks or less.
Cases increased because we started testing. If we had the number of tests we needed, it would look much worse right now. But fatalities would be and are low comparatively speaking.
I'm just talking about the progression of the disease. We will see. I think it will peak in the next 2 weeks and I think the same will be in other countries as well.
ATL Bear
contrario said:

ATL Bear said:

contrario said:

PartyBear said:

I'm just talking about the progression of the disease. We will see. I think it will peak in the next 2 weeks and I think the same will be in other countries as well.
I think the fact you can carry the virus asymptomatically or with very mild symptoms means we have thousands if not tens of thousands who have it in their body but aren't showing in the stats. It also means that we'll have a drastic rise in cases but not so much in deaths and the low mortality ratio of Covid 19 will bear out. I could see a couple weeks quarantine being enough time to return to precautionary normalcy and let it phase out as temperatures rise and treatments are more ready and understood. If we go into greater paranoia as the infection numbers rise, we will smash this economy and our way of life for a long time.
Booray
Many of you on this thread are complaining about the hysteria as a means to get Trump. Its Trump's administration that is appropriately telling everyone to hunker down for at least the next 15 days. The scientists are saying we might have to take significant precautions much longer than that. Businesses and markets are reacting to the uncertainty. This isn't some sort of Democrat driven/media conspiracy, no matter how much you want it to be.
Kyle
blackie said:

Kyle said:

PartyBear said:

So, is Trump's future your real concern? Even he is starting to sound like it is not.
Not at all. I care about the tens of millions of people whose lives are going to be destroyed.

I just cannot wrap my head around us freaking out about a disease with a 1.3% mortality rate. I honestly could care less how many people get it if it is not seriously affecting them. We deal with this every year, and we've dealt with similar coronovirus or influenza scares. The missing link in my mind is why did we choose this one to destroy the economy?
Oldbear83
Booray said:

Many of you on this thread are complaining about the hysteria as a means to get Trump. Its Trump's administration that is appropriately telling everyone to hunker down for at least the next 15 days. The scientists are saying we might have to take significant precautions much longer than that. Businesses and markets are reacting to the uncertainty. This isn't some sort of Democrat driven/media conspiracy, no matter how much you want it to be.
Take a look around the globe. Booray is right, even though I am sure Democrats will later play this for political gain if they can, it's absurd to think that nations around the world are ruining their economies just to make the American President look bad.

I heard in a briefing this week for example, that China's transportation industry is down 92% from last year, their exports are crippled and their overall GDP could be down for 2020 by more than 10 percent.

Italy and France are unable to ship products anywhere outside their borders.

Most ports do not have enough to load and pilot ships in harbor, even if there were no restrictions on those ships.

Airlines around the globe are all in dire straits.

Even in a best-case scenario, where we get a vaccine and effective treatment and the virus dies off as fast as it showed up, it will be Q3 before most industries show any real recovery.

Complaining about politics during this crisis is absurd.

That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
PartyBear
A CDC document was released on Thursday or Friday on which Trump was briefed. It is not classified, I was shown a copy from a doctor today as they all got it as well. In summary the document stated that if nothing is done, 80% of the US will get the virus and to expect about 4 million or so deaths will occur (much higher than the typically talked about 1% death rate) due to the system not being able to handle the illness of that many Americans due to respirator issues etc. This is likely what caused Trump to have his "in shock like demeanor last Friday and what has caused state and local leaders around the country to take strong actions since then.
ATL Bear
Booray said:

Not to sound callous, but if this ends up being the equivalent of a late season flu spike with a couple thousand deaths and 100-200k cases, we can all claim to have been duped, and our economy unnecessarily cratered.
PartyBear
ATL Bear said:

Booray said:

Not to sound callous, but if this ends up being the equivalent of a late season flu spike with a couple thousand deaths and 100-200k cases, we can all claim to have been duped, and our economy unnecessarily cratered.
Actually the document I spoke of specifically mentioned if the steps taken are successful, it will seem like it was all for not as the illness and casualties would be kept at a minimum.
BearlyHeardFrom
naught*
Kyle
PartyBear said:

A CDC document was released on Thursday or Friday on which Trump was briefed. It is not classified, I was shown a copy from a doctor today as they all got it as well. In summary the document stated that if nothing is done, 80% of the US will get the virus and to expect about 4 million or so deaths will occur (much higher than the typically talked about 1% death rate) due to the system not being able to handle the illness of that many Americans due to respirator issues etc. This is likely what caused Trump to have his "in shock like demeanor last Friday and what has caused state and local leaders around the country to take strong actions since then.
Not clinical, but I generally do not understand why anyone would think 80% of the U.S. would get the virus when 80% did not get any other viruses. Again, I acknowledge I'm not smart enough to understand, but we've had coronavirus outbreaks before, so I'm not smart enough to know why 80% of the U.S. did not get it then.
bear2be2
Oldbear83 said:

Booray said:

Take a look around the globe. Booray is right, even though I am sure Democrats will later play this for political gain if they can, it's absurd to think that nations around the world are ruining their economies just to make the American President look bad.

I heard in a briefing this week for example, that China's transportation industry is down 92% from last year, their exports are crippled and their overall GDP could be down for 2020 by more than 10 percent.

Most ports do not have enough to load and pilot ships in harbor, even if there were no restrictions on those ships.

Even in a best-case scenario, where we get a vaccine and effective treatment and the virus dies off as fast as it showed up, it will be Q3 before most industries show any real recovery.

Glad to see you've finally come around, Oldbear.

Now can you convince some of your compadres here this is serious?
Forest Bueller_bf
PartyBear said:

This is I bet the truth here.
robby44
blackie said:

What will go a good way to help is to abandon this notion that young people can continue going on as they have before. They are a key to stopping this thing from spreading. And the notion that they are somewhat not effected is starting to be exposed as BS. Last night on the news in Dallas, it was mentioned there were three hospitalizations. One was elderly, but the other two were in their 20s and 30s and nothing was said about them having underlying conditions. And now I am hearing that reports are coming out of Europe that younger people are getting serious conditions. It is not just the elderly at risk. We are all at risk. But if the younger ones take the attitude as I have seen by a few in this forum, that they just continue on as normal, all they are doing is making things worse, both health-wise and the effect on the economy by just further spreading the virus.

My 25 year old nephew just tested positive Monday
He's in the Army stationed in Japan. Cavalry Scout 19 Delta
Oldbear83
bear2be2 said:

Oldbear83 said:

Booray said:

Actually, my position has not changed. I think you missed the point I was trying to make before.

Certainly, in any case we have to deal with conditions as they are, not how we would like them to be.

As to my compadres, some making good points, while others - on both sides - seem primarily interested in making noise and "winning".

That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Guy Noir
Kyle said:

contrario said:

Yes, but when are influential people going to start calling for return to normality. When are Establishment leaders going to put people and country above politics and principle?
Asking people to stay home and keep social distances is putting people and country, above politics. I do not understand your use of the word principle. This virus is spreading very quickly. The best solutions are to social distance people. The USA economy needs to be able to be on hold for a month (maybe more). That is the reality of the situation.

I would like to note that the borders need to be controlled because of this event. The argument for open borders that was discussed last year, is now shown to be a poor approach.
bear2be2
Oldbear83 said:

bear2be2 said:

Oldbear83 said:

Booray said:

Actually, my position has not changed. I think you missed the point I was trying to make before.

Certainly, in any case we have to deal with conditions as they are, not how we would like them to be.

As to my compadres, some making good points, while others - on both sides - seem primarily interested in making noise and "winning".

This isn't a political issue. But only one side of the aisle is still downplaying COVID-19's severity and arguing that we're overreacting.

After watching what's happening in Italy and several other European countries, I can not understand how anyone could still hold this view.

But it's not about winning. It's about getting a fair number of holdouts to acknowledge reality so that we can actually deal with this situation effectively.

To the Trump administration's credit, it largely has. Now it's time for the president's followers to do the same.
BaylorBJM
Kyle said:

So far, 97 people have died. Each day, 102 people die in automobile accidents.

We're at least 15,000 deaths away from reaching H1N1 totals, and 20,000 away from annual influenza totals.

Was it worth it to destroy tens of millions of lives as well as our economy?

Was it worth it to try and win an election?

What will put a bigger strain on health care, 5,000 Wuhan Virus cases or a 20% unemployment rate?
You're probably the same guy who will start the "Fire Aranda!" thread if our offense goes 3-and-out during the first series of the Ole Miss game.
Guy Noir
robby44 said:

blackie said:

This might be a good time to reduce the number of troops overseas.

Robby, sending thoughts and prayers for your nephew and family
bear2be2
Guy Noir said:

robby44 said:

blackie said:

This might be a good time to reduce the number of troops overseas.

Robby, sending thoughts and prayers for your nephew and family
Edit: Good catch on the edit. Haha.
Kyle
Guy Noir said:

Kyle said:

contrario said:

Asking people to stay home and keep social distances is putting people and country, above politics. I do not understand your use of the word principle. This virus is spreading very quickly. The best solutions are to social distance people. The USA economy needs to be able to be on hold for a month (maybe more). That is the reality of the situation.

I would like to note that the borders need to be controlled because of this event. The argument for open borders that was discussed last year, is now shown to be a poor approach.
Why did we not take similar precautions during the H1N1 pandemic?

Mark my words, 90% of the people calling for the hysteria have not thought it through. When they realize the treatment was worse than the disease, they are going to get amnesia and blame president Trump and Republicans for destroying the economy.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.