Why Is Texas So Far Behind Other States in Responding to the Coronavirus?

18,711 Views | 216 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Flaming Moderate
Whiskey Pete
How long do you want to ignore this user?
tommie said:

Flaming Moderate said:

ATL Bear said:

Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

At 2500 cases and 34 deaths in Texas, you'd think there would be some praise on how it has been handled.
That's about where New York was 12 days ago, except they had half as many deaths.
A city like New York is prime for a virus spread. People living on top of each other reliant upon public transportation. I'm willing to bet Texas won't get nearly as bad given measures taken thus far, and that infected people won't be crammed on buses and subways on their way to and from the hospital.
It has flummoxed me that cities will not shut down public transportation. I am not a clinician, but that seems like a pretty significant means to spread any virus, especially one that can live outside the body on metal surfaces. Worse too, it de-localizes the spread. Most people usually go out close to home, but public transportation spreads it across the entire region. Dallas for example is still running DART, which means an infected person in South Dallas and spread it to Plano and vice versa.

It's because for many without cars, it's the way we get around. If you shut down public transportation you also prevent first responders from getting to work. You stop the poor from accessing groceries. You cut off access If the essential worker to the essential work.
So you won't blame Trump for not shutting down public transportation when it's reported that the spread of Covid-19 could have been drastically mitigated had he taken the virus serious and instituted such measures?
Mitch Blood Green
HashTag said:

tommie said:

Flaming Moderate said:

ATL Bear said:

Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

At 2500 cases and 34 deaths in Texas, you'd think there would be some praise on how it has been handled.
That's about where New York was 12 days ago, except they had half as many deaths.
A city like New York is prime for a virus spread. People living on top of each other reliant upon public transportation. I'm willing to bet Texas won't get nearly as bad given measures taken thus far, and that infected people won't be crammed on buses and subways on their way to and from the hospital.
It has flummoxed me that cities will not shut down public transportation. I am not a clinician, but that seems like a pretty significant means to spread any virus, especially one that can live outside the body on metal surfaces. Worse too, it de-localizes the spread. Most people usually go out close to home, but public transportation spreads it across the entire region. Dallas for example is still running DART, which means an infected person in South Dallas and spread it to Plano and vice versa.

It's because for many without cars, it's the way we get around. If you shut down public transportation you also prevent first responders from getting to work. You stop the poor from accessing groceries. You cut off access If the essential worker to the essential work.
So you won't blame Trump for not shutting down public transportation when it's reported that the spread of Covid-19 could have been drastically mitigated had he taken the virus serious and instituted such measures?

You're making up situations that don't exist? I prefer my hypotheticals that won't happen to be about me and Halle Berry.
Whiskey Pete
tommie said:

HashTag said:

tommie said:

Flaming Moderate said:

ATL Bear said:

Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

You're making up situations that don't exist? I prefer my hypotheticals that won't happen to be about me and Halle Berry.
Okay, thanks for answering my question. When the media starts reporting that the spread of Covid 19 could have been mitigated had Trump shut down public transportation, I'm sure you'll blame the president.... and once again, you'll show yourself to be the politically biased TDSer that you are.
Flaming Moderate
tommie said:

Flaming Moderate said:

ATL Bear said:

Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

I understand, but there seems to be tension being serious about fighting the spread of the virus. A true effort requires pain and inconvenience across the board, and closing it down seems like the right thing to do. Yes, it stinks - but all of this stinks.
Oldbear83
TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Florda_mike said:

Whew, TS, you've got way too much time

Who do I need to talk to to recommend you get your science grant so you can get off unemployment?

You're overachieving with your TDS threads around here
Not eligible for either one. Thank you though. I'm just doing my part to enlighten the Trump Cult with facts.

chuckle

Reads:

" Dreadfully bored, so I enjoy presenting my opinions as facts on an internet message board . "
LOL FIFY - " Dreadfully bored, so I enjoy presenting my opinions and facts on an internet message board . "
No, the first version by Canada was accurate.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Mitch Blood Green
Flaming Moderate said:

tommie said:

Flaming Moderate said:

ATL Bear said:

Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

I understand, but there seems to be tension being serious about fighting the spread of the virus. A true effort requires pain and inconvenience across the board, and closing it down seems like the right thing to do. Yes, it stinks - but all of this stinks.

You can't fight this with 50% of the staff.

What is suggestion on how to get the $12 an hour hospital staff to work? They're unseen but they clean the rooms, wash the soiled sheets, turn the beds, sanitize the equipment. If you cut public transportation and in effect increase the number of people who call out (along with those who get sick), we all lose.

We agree we need to stop the non complainant from mucking you the gears.
TexasScientist
Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Florda_mike said:

Who do I need to talk to to recommend you get your science grant so you can get off unemployment?

Not eligible for either one. Thank you though. I'm just doing my part to enlighten the Trump Cult with facts.

chuckle

Reads:

" Dreadfully bored, so I enjoy presenting my opinions as facts on an internet message board . "
LOL FIFY - " Dreadfully bored, so I enjoy presenting my opinions and facts on an internet message board . "
LOL - I can play along with your discourse - recognition of accuracy is something for which you to aspire.
Oldbear83
TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Florda_mike said:

chuckle

Reads:

LOL - I can play along with your discourse - recognition of accuracy is something for which you to aspire.
Awww, nice of you to think of me, but my observation still stands, son.
Flaming Moderate
tommie said:

Flaming Moderate said:

tommie said:

Flaming Moderate said:

ATL Bear said:

Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

You can't fight this with 50% of the staff.

What is suggestion on how to get the $12 an hour hospital staff to work? They're unseen but they clean the rooms, wash the soiled sheets, turn the beds, sanitize the equipment. If you cut public transportation and in effect increase the number of people who call out (along with those who get sick), we all lose.

We agree we need to stop the non complainant from mucking you the gears.
I don't know - you may be right in terms of number of folks that use it, which I think feeds the argument for closing (don't want staff infecting other clinicians and patients). Fully admit, I am not a DART rider - given the situation, seems like people could drive, and one-car families obviously probably on need one care right now. I appreciate your perspective - I won't go round and round with you because you're likely more correct than me (I'll admit I'm naive, but I know lots of people across the socio-economic spectrum, and literally every family has at least one car). I may be 100% wrong, but I have assumed 99% of the folks talking DART did so out of convenience not necessity (but again, I likely am wrong). I'm also not clinical - just seems like public transportation would be a huge spreader of the disease, and if we're serious we have to make tough choices. (of course I don't want anyone to starve - that's where you figure out a Meals on Wheels or Uber-type solution, i.e. Medicare relaxes rules on paying for transportation).
Flaming Moderate
I am not sure the premise is correct. Texas is 8.9% of the total population but has 1.8% of the Wuhan cases. That seems like a pretty decent response, especially when you consider the magnitude of the Asian community in Houston especially but also Dallas.
Bearitto
Flaming Moderate said:

I am not sure the premise is correct. Texas is 8.9% of the total population but has 1.8% of the Wuhan cases. That seems like a pretty decent response, especially when you consider the magnitude of the Asian community in Houston especially but also Dallas.

Don't bother. These people openly admit they'll never know if their overreaction saved any lives, but they are good if it kills the economy, regardless. There could be zero cases in Texas and they'd hole up in the Alamo shooting at Mexicans with a sniffle and tell you they were saving the world. Not one of them understands statistics or probabilities.
TexasScientist
You don't believe Trump anymore?
Bearitto
TexasScientist said:

That you make everything about Trump says a great deal about you and your motivations. I believe statistics. None of those says this is dangerous to the general population. We need to get back to work. If you are susceptible, self isolate.
Jack and DP
Texas looks great. Does the OP want more dead Texans?
Florda_mike
TexasScientist said:

BrooksBearLives(alias BBL), that's who TS reminds me of
Canada2017
TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Florda_mike said:

chuckle

Reads:

My posts are perfection personified ....and as such are beyond the abilities of mere mortals to FIFY.

Superior talents acquired during my tenure as a research SCIENTIST........... decades ago.

You are now allowed to kiss my ring and depart.

Sin no more .
Oldbear83
Pretty sure ring kissing is out during the 'social distance' thing ...
George Truett
Gruvin said:

maybe the officials should tell everyone it will give them warts and their hair/teeth will fall out. They will social distance then... a state wide order wont stop people doing people things
Actually, it does. It's been pretty successful in our area of NC.
George Truett
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Yeah, Texas sucks. America sucks. We get it. Go Bernie Sanders!!!! Beat Joe Biden and Orange Man!!!!!!!! We are already halfway to being Venezuela. Bernie can get us across the finish line.
This attitude is why COVID-19 cases are skyrocketing in TX.
George Truett
ATL Bear said:

It's just getting started. Update your stats.

Last week, cases in TX were up nearly 600%.

Admittedly, not as much as in some places, but it's still early.
Oldbear83
George Truett said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Yeah, Texas sucks. America sucks. We get it. Go Bernie Sanders!!!! Beat Joe Biden and Orange Man!!!!!!!! We are already halfway to being Venezuela. Bernie can get us across the finish line.
Pretty sure that's not correct. Population density seems to be the primary driver, and no one in a major metropolitan area in Texas is telling folks to meet up and party.
4th and Inches
George Truett said:

Gruvin said:

maybe the officials should tell everyone it will give them warts and their hair/teeth will fall out. They will social distance then... a state wide order wont stop people doing people things
Actually, it does. It's been pretty successful in our area of NC.
i am classified essential so i am out- i see people not following the rules in lock down counties. Counties without this rule have poor local governing or unlikely to have alot of travel based contacts. Total volume of people out and about is down but its about number of contact multipliers.
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
George Truett
Oldbear83 said:

George Truett said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Pretty sure that's not correct. Population density seems to be the primary driver, and no one in a major metropolitan area in Texas is telling folks to meet up and party.
Not necessarily. There's a hot band of cases in the western panhandle.

Density contributes but so does apathy.
4th and Inches
George Truett said:

ATL Bear said:

so we should be alarmed by the 98 new cases in Texas today? That number may change but that is what is reported as of 5pm
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
ATL Bear
George Truett said:

ATL Bear said:

Believe me, I update stats daily.

But then Michigan and Louisiana we're both where Texas was 10 days ago. Now both are hotspots, and Detroit looks like it could be another NYC.
TexasScientist
Bearitto said:

TexasScientist said:

That you make everything about Trump says a great deal about you and your motivations. I believe statistics. None of those says this is dangerous to the general population. We need to get back to work. If you are susceptible, self isolate.
It was the statistics and probabilities that finally convinced Trump. Italy and Spain took your approach intitially. You should go back to work.
TexasScientist
Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Florda_mike said:

chuckle

Reads:

My posts are perfection personified ....and as such are beyond the abilities of mere mortals to FIFY.

Superior talents acquired during my tenure as a research SCIENTIST........... decades ago.

Sin no more .
From the time of day on your post, it appears you got a jump start on happy hour.
Canada2017
TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Florda_mike said:

chuckle

Reads:

Sin no more .
From the time of day on your post, it appears you got a jump start on happy hour.

There you go....still sinning .

This know all...see all ...former SCIENTIST ( genuflect now sinner ) doesn't drink .

Flaming Moderate
Based on today's CDC data, Texas is home to 1.76% of the nation's cases. Still behind smaller states like Illinois, Georgia, Louisiana, Florida, and Michigan (in addition to the biggies we all know about).

This is a time when we should look to our humanity and faith and be grateful rather than just wanted to take cheap shots because someone has a different letter by their name.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Florda_mike said:

chuckle

Reads:

Sin no more .

This know all...see all ...former SCIENTIST ( genuflect now sinner ) doesn't drink .

Don't you worry my friend. I've got your back. I drink enough for the both of us.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Canada2017
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Florda_mike said:

chuckle

Reads:

Sin no more .

Don't you worry my friend. I've got your back. I drink enough for the both of us.

Knew I could count on you to take up the slack !
Flaming Moderate
From today's data:
- Texas incidence growing slower than RON
- Texas prevalence is 1.75% of all cases
- Texas #11 among state prevalence: < 50% of California, (37%) lower prevalence than Louisiana

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/cases-in-us.html
Oldbear83
Canada2017 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Florda_mike said:

chuckle

Reads:

Sin no more .

I'm behind on my slang, is "the slack" a beer, whiskey, or something else?
TexasScientist
Oldbear83 said:

Canada2017 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Florda_mike said:

chuckle

Reads:

Sin no more .

I'm behind on my slang, is "the slack" a beer, whiskey, or something else?
The only other legal "slack" in Colorado is leafy and green. Hmmm??
Flaming Moderate
Texas still behind Florida, Louisiana, Michigan, Illinois, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania in addition to the biggies.

I guess the OP is right - we are behind.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.