How's Your Attitude?

6,447 Views | 68 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by quash
PartyBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Doc just focus on each thing separately. If you try to think of everything at once it appears more overwhelming. Congrats on the baby.

Liqr is probably safer from infection in a remote village in Alaska than in the 48. He is pretty much quarantined already if he is living in some forest in Alaska.
Oldbear83
I'm pissed right now.

My wife came back from taking care of her mom in Hong Kong, no surprise her boss told her to stay home for 14 days to self-quarantine.

But now the head office is telling my wife she cannot come back to work after she completes her quarantine, because she took unapproved leave. The head office says they approved the leave through March 20 but not after that, she is being fired for self-quarantining on her boss' direct written order!

We're pretty sure this is really fear that, despite showing no symptoms during the month she was there or during the quarantine period, somehow she will infect the residents or other staff, but to be fired for quarantining is total BS, especially since she was following direct instructions to do so.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Florda_mike
Limited IQ Redneck in PU said:

Yes I am working in my cabin now. No need to go in. Ironic that for the first time in my life I can work from anywhere but there is nowhere to go.

I can get to Seattle and really anywhere in the U.S. I didnt plan on spending my summer in Texas.

Isn't Waco better than where you are?

Serious question
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Good question. Its beautiful here but theres not much to do. Fish or ride ski doo. I lived in or near Waco for around 40 years. i hear everything is closed. I have my house rented out.

I am retired so I get my pension and I am still getting paid on this years contract and I just signed another for next year.

I am thankful for my health and pray for those that are less fortunate in these times. My only complaint is boredom. I know that pales compared to the hardships I have read on the board.

The youngsters worried about their jobs, the mature mans wife getting let go, those that may have to delay retirement are in my prayers.
LIB,MR BEARS
I stopped at Slovacek's in West to get some sausage for my Father-in-law. They have recently doubled the number of gas pumps and parking and, when busy, you'd still have quite a wait. When I pulled up, they had 1 truck at the pumps and 2 cars parked up front. That was it! Quite depressing to see.
Doc Holliday
PartyBear said:

Doc just focus on each thing separately. If you try to think of everything at once it appears more overwhelming. Congrats on the baby.

Liqr is probably safer from infection in a remote village in Alaska than in the 48. He is pretty much quarantined already if he is living in some forest in Alaska.
That's good advice.

It's pretty overwhelming and most of it is out of my control.
Flaming Moderate
LIB,MR BEARS said:

I stopped at Slovacek's in West to get some sausage for my Father-in-law. They have recently doubled the number of gas pumps and parking and, when busy, you'd still have quite a wait. When I pulled up, they had 1 truck at the pumps and 2 cars parked up front. That was it! Quite depressing to see.
It is going to be sad driving to Waco and seeing places like that gone and replace by a generic corporate convenience store.
GoneGirl
I'm still working. That helps a lot, and not just because of the paycheck. It helps keep my focus on the end of the tunnel, which will eventually come.

Doing a better job of planning and cooking meals in the absence of as many take-out and restaurant options.

Walking my dog with a neighbor, more than 6 feet apart.

I entered an adult education master's program last fall. This spring the course I'm taking is about the fall of Soviet communism, focusing on 1989, and what preceded it (including Chernobyl) and its aftermath. Just did a paper on the disastrous voucher program through which many Russian enterprises and assets were privatized. Russia ended up with a higher rate of income inequality as a result of that program than they'd had under the czars. Learning about what they did, why they did it and how a former superpower has been reduced to a crime state has been fascinating. The program shifted online last month; I'm now working on my final research paper, due in mid-April.

Forest Bueller_bf
Flaming Moderate said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

This is the strangest period of time I have encountered, and looking at our history, may go down as one of the most unusual happenings we will ever see.

I'm doing fine, though I really do miss interacting with lots of people on a regular basis. If this is more what retirement is like, I will probably delay retirement as long as possible.

But. everything is marching on.

I really miss that my son will miss his entire track season. He is a Freshman, so he wasn't taking down Jr./Sr. kids in his event, though for his age group, he does well. If he adds 50 lbs of muscle like I did from my Freshman to my Senior year, he will be very competitive then.
I feel bad for the last-year kids from elementary school to college. Imagine you leave on Friday for Spring Break and never return to high school or college - miss prom, graduation, parties with friends, etc. Say you dedicated your life to a sport or art, and you never get to do it organized again. That sucks.
It really does, lot's of Srs. at his HS are really lamenting. One girl who was basically a lock to win state in the 300 Hurdles will never run track in HS again.
Forest Bueller_bf
Canada2017 said:

Give everything you've got to your family .

Grandmother , brother , wife and unborn child .

Never give up on any of them till the day you die .
Amen to this, hang in there Doc.
Coke Bear
Strangely at peace. Maybe that's blissful ignorance. Selfishly, my evening schedule is usually packed thru the week. One of the few nights that I have nothing scheduled is Saturday. I now have EVERY evening with the family. We are all eating dinner together every night. I love it!

I am a little bummed about my oldest son not getting to go out to eat for his birthday on Monday and it's also his senior year. My youngest son missed soccer playoffs. My daughter is not getting to do her student teaching.

I am also upset that we can't attend mass. This is the first time that we've missed mass in years. We are able to watch mass on TV and we are encouraged to make a "spiritual communion" each week during this time. One bright spot is that it makes me (and many others) realize that I take for granted the I can attend mass everyday of the year. It will mean much more to me when I can return.

All this will pass and we will get on with life as normal shortly.
CHP Bear
Cleaned out the basement and garage. Junk, junk, and more junk. Planning on big garage sale when social distance edict lifted. Sure hate to get rid of these Leisure suits. Maybe I'll throw in a couple Spike Jones vinyls with suit purchase. On second thought, think I'll build a room addition for stuff. Never know when The Pickers will stop by. Read on the internet that sleep helps the immune system. Been retired for some time now. So my alarm clock has been sunlight thru the window. Got some blackout curtains ordered. By next week my immune system will be dynamite. On a serious note, I miss helping my neighbors with odd and end jobs around their house. Have reconnected with past friends on Facebook. At least those still above the grass. Finished reading a couple books I put down with book marker on page 50. Now I know why I put them down. Rearranging furniture for the Mrs. Now the big drawback. FaceTime is great but not rolling down a hill, flying a kite, kicking a ball, counting stars, hunting for ghosts around the house, chasing each other around a tree, etc., with the grandchild is a killer. Final note, have been attending church on Facebook. God is good.
fadskier
Doc Holliday said:

Thanks LIQR, I appreciate it. Things will get better. I have so much that I'm thankful for, even when my world is chaotic.

I Hope all is well with you
You and your family are in my prayers! Have faith!
Salute the Marines - Joe Biden
GoneGirl
Coke Bear said:

Strangely at peace. Maybe that's blissful ignorance. Selfishly, my evening schedule is usually packed thru the week. One of the few nights that I have nothing scheduled is Saturday. I now have EVERY evening with the family. We are all eating dinner together every night. I love it!

I am a little bummed about my oldest son not getting to go out to eat for his birthday on Monday and it's also his senior year. My youngest son missed soccer playoffs. My daughter is not getting to do her student teaching.

I am also upset that we can't attend mass. This is the first time that we've missed mass in years. We are able to watch mass on TV and we are encouraged to make a "spiritual communion" each week during this time. One bright spot is that it makes me (and many others) realize that I take for granted the I can attend mass everyday of the year. It will mean much more to me when I can return.

I miss church, too, Coke Bear. And choir practice. Both feed my soul, and I don't find the online shift as nourishing.
Canada2017
Doc Holliday said:

PartyBear said:

That's good advice.

For whatever reason......this morning I am most concerned about your brother .

Depression is so dangerous.

Hope he will accept your help graciously.
CHP Bear
Doc Holliday said:

I work in in oil and gas. I could lose my job at any moment.

My Grandmother, who I'm extremely close with, has brain cancer, I just found out this week.

My brother, who is my best friend, is struggling with alcohol and depression. He's broke and needs my help.

And to top it off...I knocked up my wife in January. This will be my first kid.

I'm sad, scared, and happy? Too many emotions guys.

Love y'all, even the lefties.
We're with you Doc. I close my eyes and try to think of something to say but I'm at a loss for words. You may think your holding the end of your rope but it's not a rope. Your holding God's hand. Sorry for my loss of words Doc. That light at the end of the tunnel is your future bundle of joy.
Friscobear
Canada2017 said:

Spending more time with my wife than in the last 15 years .

Ordering camping gear .
Wow, really not going well with the wife?!?
“At the end of the day, for 40 minutes, we just kicked their ass.”

- Mark Vital
GoneGirl
Doc Holliday said:

My Grandmother, who I'm extremely close with, has brain cancer, I just found out this week.

My brother, who is my best friend, is struggling with alcohol and depression. He's broke and needs my help.

You did not just "knock up your wife."

You became a father-to-be with your valued and beloved wife, a wonderful and mutual choice for both of you.

Congratulations and best wishes to both of you.

We still need the energy sector.

I wouldn't wish brain cancer on my worst enemy; may God help your grandmother and the rest of your family.

Love and support your brother, but do him the favor of expecting him to do the same in return. You and your wife need love and support from him as you prepare to be parents. He will be an uncle, an important, and I hope sobering in every since of that word, responsibility.
riflebear
Oldbear83 said:

I'm pissed right now.

My wife came back from taking care of her mom in Hong Kong, no surprise her boss told her to stay home for 14 days to self-quarantine.

But now the head office is telling my wife she cannot come back to work after she completes her quarantine, because she took unapproved leave. The head office says they approved the leave through March 20 but not after that, she is being fired for self-quarantining on her boss' direct written order!

We're pretty sure this is really fear that, despite showing no symptoms during the month she was there or during the quarantine period, somehow she will infect the residents or other staff, but to be fired for quarantining is total BS, especially since she was following direct instructions to do so.
If that went public that company would be destroyed in the court of public opinion. I would have her call HR which I'm sure she already has and if they aren't helping I would hire an attorney. I know that would probably cause tension going back to work but that is absolutely jacked up what they are doing to her.

Stories like this is why I'm not sure how this ends. Even if the govt gave the go ahead you would have companies nervous about opening up because if someone brought Covid to work and infected people then there could be potential lawsuits. If an employer asked someone to stay home and a job was eliminated or they couldn't afford for that person to be gone 2 weeks or longer if they got sick then it's a lawsuit on the other side.

I have a feeling lawyers will be the ones getting wealthy once this is all said and done.
Oldbear83
riflebear said:

Oldbear83 said:

I'm pissed right now.

If that went public that company would be destroyed in the court of public opinion. I would have her call HR which I'm sure she already has and if they aren't helping I would hire an attorney. I know that would probably cause tension going back to work but that is absolutely jacked up what they are doing to her.

Stories like this is why I'm not sure how this ends. Even if the govt gave the go ahead you would have companies nervous about opening up because if someone brought Covid to work and infected people then there could be potential lawsuits. If an employer asked someone to stay home and a job was eliminated or they couldn't afford for that person to be gone 2 weeks or longer if they got sick then it's a lawsuit on the other side.

I have a feeling lawyers will be the ones getting wealthy once this is all said and done.
Well, I don't know about public opinion being on our side. My wife is Asian, and right about now Asians don't have much in the way of civil rights, if you have been paying attention to the news.
Doc Holliday
Canada2017 said:

Give everything you've got to your family .

Grandmother , brother , wife and unborn child .

Never give up on any of them till the day you die .
I could never give up.

Thanks for this!
Doc Holliday
fadskier said:

Doc Holliday said:

Thanks LIQR, I appreciate it. Things will get better. I have so much that I'm thankful for, even when my world is chaotic.

I Hope all is well with you
You and your family are in my prayers! Have faith!
Thanks!
Doc Holliday
Canada2017 said:

Doc Holliday said:

PartyBear said:

That's good advice.

I have a history of depression myself, so it's territory I'm familiar with. I was able to get help and I learned how my ego and anxiety played a role. Hopefully I can use that experience to help him.

Depression is very dangerous. The worst are those times when nothing in life gives you any kind of joy: anhedonia.

I truly believe he will be fine as long as he gets support from family.
Doc Holliday
Jinx 2 said:

Doc Holliday said:

You became a father-to-be with your valued and beloved wife, a wonderful and mutual choice for both of you.

I wouldn't wish brain cancer on my worst enemy; may God help your grandmother and the rest of your family.

Love and support your brother, but do him the favor of expecting him to do the same in return. You and your wife need love and support from him as you prepare to be parents. He will be an uncle, an important, and I hope sobering in every since of that word, responsibility.
I'm super excited to be a Dad!

Also extremely nervous lol
Oldbear83
Doc Holliday said:

Jinx 2 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Boy, girl, or Aggy?
Forest Bueller_bf
Coke Bear said:

Your son missing the end of his Senior year is a bummer. Likely prom and the graduation ceremony are gone too.

GoneGirl
Doc Holliday said:

Jinx 2 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Both are entirely appropriate. I think the scariest car ride I've ever taken was when my husband picked me up at the hospital and we brought home our first daughter.

There is a period of intense, hard but joyfull adjustment to being a family with your first child. And the first time you hold that baby, your outlook on life and your priorities will change forever. In a good way.
Doc Holliday
CHP Bear said:

Doc Holliday said:

We're with you Doc. I close my eyes and try to think of something to say but I'm at a loss for words. You may think your holding the end of your rope but it's not a rope. Your holding God's hand. Sorry for my loss of words Doc. That light at the end of the tunnel is your future bundle of joy.
This means a lot, thank you
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." ~ John Adams
Art Vandelay
Doc Holliday said:

Jinx 2 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Prayers to you and your family, Doc.
PartyBear
Oldbear83 said:

riflebear said:

Oldbear83 said:

I'm pissed right now.

Well, I don't know about public opinion being on our side. My wife is Asian, and right about now Asians don't have much in the way of civil rights, if you have been paying attention to the news.

Discuss this with an employment attorney. If you believe her being Asian has something to do with it or her having been treated differently than others, that is not permitted.
curtpenn
Doc Holliday said:

Jinx 2 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Won't bother you with a ton of advice about fatherhood, but one thing to tuck away maybe for decades - you are not completely responsible for how your kids turn out. There's a limit to how much you can do. Praying for you, brother.
Oldbear83
PartyBear said:

Oldbear83 said:

riflebear said:

Oldbear83 said:

I'm pissed right now.

Discuss this with an employment attorney. If you believe her being Asian has something to do with it or her having been treated differently than others, that is not permitted.
The problem is the difference between what I know is happening, and what I can prove is happening.
riflebear
Doc Holliday said:

Canada2017 said:

Doc Holliday said:

PartyBear said:

That's good advice.

I have a history of depression myself, so it's territory I'm familiar with. I was able to get help and I learned how my ego and anxiety played a role. Hopefully I can use that experience to help him.

Depression is very dangerous. The worst are those times when nothing in life gives you any kind of joy: anhedonia.

I truly believe he will be fine as long as he gets support from family.
Prayers to you and your family Doc.
If I was advising you as a Dr I would say w/ a history of depression the R&P board is the last place you should be spending your time but we don't want to lose you here.
GrowlTowel
I am pretty sure that my four children are thinking of unionizing against management. I saw some leaflets lying around upstairs the other day and the family beagle reports there is a closed door meeting tomorrow after lunch.

Texas may be a right to work state but I am prohibited these days from locking them out. Likewise, any sort of walk out by the children would also be prohibited.

Interesting stalemate we got here.
Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
quash
Oldbear83 said:

PartyBear said:

Oldbear83 said:

riflebear said:

Oldbear83 said:

I'm pissed right now.

The problem is the difference between what I know is happening, and what I can prove is happening.
That is the nature of the employment law beast. I think it is worth an email discussion with a labor law attorney. The matters of proof and possible causes of action are their bailiwick and they may see it differently once all the facts from your side come in. It will always be a ****** move but it might also be a labor law violation. Worth knowing with some certainty, plus there may be options you haven't considered.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.