Apologize for being White

18,210 Views | 185 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Waco1947
D. C. Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

D. C. Bear said:

Porteroso said:

D. C. Bear said:

Porteroso said:

D. C. Bear said:

While familial breakup is not exclusively an African American issue, it is a much more pronounced issue when it comes to African American children.

https://datacenter.kidscount.org/data/bar/107-children-in-single-parent-families-by-race?loc=1&loct=1#1/any/false/37/10,11,9,12,1,185,13/431

I am going to assume the Annie E. Casey Foundation is providing legitimate data.
I'm not saying all cultures experience all problems equally. I want to understand, before going off on oldbear, why he thinks blacks are "unwilling to address their own internal issues."

That's an incredible statement on several levels, and I'm blown away enough that I want to understand more of why he thinks that, or even finds that to be an acceptable thing to say. I get that it's the internet and all, but still.
I was answering you question about familial breakup.

The problem with his statement is that it treats an entire ethnic group as monolithic. There are, however, a wide number of problems in the African American community that tend to be more severe than those same problems in the broader population. There are also those who benefit from a poor relationship between law enforcement and the African American community.
I agree that communities tend to have different struggles. We'll just see what he says. I really wonder how he knows so much about all black Americans, internally, that he can tell us they won't face their problems. Like I said, an incredible statement.

Black Americans face 1 major challenge, generational poverty. For the sake of argument, take an educated white person. If that person falls into poverty for more than 3 years, the chances of regaining economic stability are very slim. Many black Americans coming from generational poverty never have a real shot. We can talk (and many on this forum do) about how everyone has the chance to make something of themselves, but it's not really true, if you've ever cared to even read an article about it. Poverty, especially when it's the only condition your entire family, and your friends, have ever known, is incredibly difficult to come out of. And it doesn't just affect blacks, there are Hispanic, white, Native American families that deal with it, and it's hard for any of them to come out of it.

My opinion is that we could combat poverty in a way that doesn't account for race, just bend over backwards at the local, state, and federal level, to give anyone in poverty a real chance at a great education. You could get all of America behind that, but before we can talk about that, we have to recognize that poverty is a problem, and we need to recognize that for many reasons, generational poverty, especially generational poverty that traces its roots back to slavery, is really, really bad for society.

And here we are, back at square one. Oldbear, why does "ignorance" so succinctly describe "generational poverty that traces its roots back to slavery?"

More than 50 percent of African Americans are middle class, upper middle class or upper class.
Man, that is a frickin' AMAZING stat! I am skeptical that it is true. The mainstream news media would have us believe that 99 percent of blacks are shackled in chains under the duress of their evil white masters!!!!

It is true. Blacks in America are, overall, less well off than their white counterparts, but they are not helplessly and hopelessly mired in miserable poverty, despite what some in media and some politicians would have you think.

Black Americans are among the more resilient groups in history. Many were brought here in slavery, and all subject to legalized discrimination for several generations after slavery ended which has left higher numbers of poor than their population percentage would merit, but theirs is not merely a story of oppression but also of overcoming and prospering greatly.
Waco1947
Gruvin said:

"The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Don't wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope."
Barack Obama
Good Words from President Obama. We got up And took to the streets.
Waco1947
Waco1947
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

D. C. Bear said:

Porteroso said:

D. C. Bear said:

Porteroso said:

D. C. Bear said:

While familial breakup is not exclusively an African American issue, it is a much more pronounced issue when it comes to African American children.

https://datacenter.kidscount.org/data/bar/107-children-in-single-parent-families-by-race?loc=1&loct=1#1/any/false/37/10,11,9,12,1,185,13/431

I am going to assume the Annie E. Casey Foundation is providing legitimate data.
I'm not saying all cultures experience all problems equally. I want to understand, before going off on oldbear, why he thinks blacks are "unwilling to address their own internal issues."

That's an incredible statement on several levels, and I'm blown away enough that I want to understand more of why he thinks that, or even finds that to be an acceptable thing to say. I get that it's the internet and all, but still.

The problem with his statement is that it treats an entire ethnic group as monolithic. There are, however, a wide number of problems in the African American community that tend to be more severe than those same problems in the broader population. There are also those who benefit from a poor relationship between law enforcement and the African American community.
I agree that communities tend to have different struggles. We'll just see what he says. I really wonder how he knows so much about all black Americans, internally, that he can tell us they won't face their problems. Like I said, an incredible statement.

Black Americans face 1 major challenge, generational poverty. For the sake of argument, take an educated white person. If that person falls into poverty for more than 3 years, the chances of regaining economic stability are very slim. Many black Americans coming from generational poverty never have a real shot. We can talk (and many on this forum do) about how everyone has the chance to make something of themselves, but it's not really true, if you've ever cared to even read an article about it. Poverty, especially when it's the only condition your entire family, and your friends, have ever known, is incredibly difficult to come out of. And it doesn't just affect blacks, there are Hispanic, white, Native American families that deal with it, and it's hard for any of them to come out of it.

My opinion is that we could combat poverty in a way that doesn't account for race, just bend over backwards at the local, state, and federal level, to give anyone in poverty a real chance at a great education. You could get all of America behind that, but before we can talk about that, we have to recognize that poverty is a problem, and we need to recognize that for many reasons, generational poverty, especially generational poverty that traces its roots back to slavery, is really, really bad for society.

And here we are, back at square one. Oldbear, why does "ignorance" so succinctly describe "generational poverty that traces its roots back to slavery?"

More than 50 percent of African Americans are middle class, upper middle class or upper class.
Man, that is a frickin' AMAZING stat! I am skeptical that it is true. The mainstream news media would have us believe that 99 percent of blacks are shackled in chains under the duress of their evil white master
s!!!!

More context Net Worth
Many who discuss income and middle class status do not take the financial health of a household into account such as overall wealth. Even though more African Americans have been able to enjoy middle class incomes in the last few decades, it has not been necessarily reflected in overall Black wealth. As a matter of fact increases gained in Black Net Worth were depleted during the most recent recession.

One way of measuring wealth in addition to income is by considering 'Net Worth'. This is calculated by taking household assets and subtracting liabilities. Assets may consist of holdings such as real estate, stocks, interest earning accounts, business equity, vehicles, etc.
In 1989 the median net worth of Black families was $8,020 which was a far cry from Whites who had a median net worth of $134,680. By 2001 the median net worth for African American families climbed to $26,150 as the White median net worth soared to $198,620 by 2004.
However due to the "Great Recession" by 2013 the Black median net worth dropped to $13,490 which was lower than it was in 1992 and anytime since. The White median net worth also dropped but only to $146,320 making the Black/white gap even wider than it was in the 80s or the 90s.

According the Pew Research Center Black household net worth is concentrated more in home ownership rather than other assets. Since African American home ownership and value was hit hardest in the recession by -23% and the majority of wealth was in their homes they lost much of their net worth. Blacks also lost larger percentages in stocks and mutual funds (-71%), 401K (-28%), and Business equity (-57%).

re
Waco1947
D. C. Bear
Waco1947 said:

Gruvin said:

"The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Don't wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope."
Barack Obama

I don't think burning down those things that you didn't build was what he had in mind.
The_barBEARian
Jack Bauer said:

I will apologize for this white person doing this...you could tell me this was Sacha Baren Cohen disguised as a DJ pranking the world and I would believe you.

I hope you dont mind me stealing your post and reposting it on another thread. You had me in tears! This was the 1st time in 2020 I laughed so hard I was in tears! Thank you!!!
57Bear
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

D. C. Bear said:

Porteroso said:

D. C. Bear said:

Porteroso said:

D. C. Bear said:

Man, that is a frickin' AMAZING stat! I am skeptical that it is true. The mainstream news media would have us believe that 99 percent of blacks are shackled in chains under the duress of their evil white masters!!!!
The African American Middle Class

https://blackdemographics.com/households/middle-class/
Waco1947
D. C. Bear said:

Waco1947 said:

Gruvin said:

Barack Obama

I don't think burning down those things that you didn't build was what he had in mind.
You hijacked a great quote President Obama.
Waco1947
Waco1947

President Barack Obama
Waco1947
D. C. Bear
Waco1947 said:

D. C. Bear said:

Waco1947 said:

Gruvin said:

Barack Obama

No, I didn't "hijack" his quote. I used a reference to a quote he previously made with a bit of a twist that is consistent with position on rioting and looting.

From 2015: "They're not protesting. They're not making a statement," Obama said of the looters who ravaged businesses and started fires. "They're stealingthey're committing arson."

I doubt President Obama changed his position.
Waco1947
D. C. Bear said:

Waco1947 said:

D. C. Bear said:

Waco1947 said:

Gruvin said:

Barack Obama

No, I didn't "hijack" his quote. I used a reference to a quote he previously made with a bit of a twist that is consistent with position on rioting and looting.

From 2015: "They're not protesting. They're not making a statement," Obama said of the looters who ravaged businesses and started fires. "They're stealingthey're committing arson."

It's the twist on his comment about "You didn't build." Your "twist" is built on an out of context quote. He meant to say "You didn't build that by yourself but the help of government ---- roads, small business loans, the internet, police protection.
Waco1947
D. C. Bear
Waco1947 said:

D. C. Bear said:

Waco1947 said:

D. C. Bear said:

Waco1947 said:

Gruvin said:

Barack Obama

It's the twist on his comment about "You didn't build." Your "twist" is built on an out of context quote. He meant to say "You didn't build that by yourself but the help of government ---- roads, small business loans, the internet, police protection.

No, my twist isn't on an out of context quote. It is on his real quote. "Taking to the streets" is great. Burning down what you didn't build isn't.
Waco1947
D. C. Bear said:

Waco1947 said:

D. C. Bear said:

Waco1947 said:

D. C. Bear said:

Waco1947 said:

Gruvin said:

Barack Obama

No, my twist isn't on an out of context quote. It is on his real quote. "Taking to the streets" is great. Burning down what you didn't build isn't.
OK you win.
Waco1947

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.