Uncoming presidential debate 29 Sep

5,165 Views | 99 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Canada2017
Malbec
How long do you want to ignore this user?
JXL said:

quash said:

The debate process needs to be fact checked for keeping Jorgensen off the stage.

I agree, she should be on there.
Her inclusion would doom Biden by draining enough Democrat votes to ensure a Trump re-election.
quash
Malbec said:

JXL said:

quash said:

The debate process needs to be fact checked for keeping Jorgensen off the stage.

Her inclusion would doom Biden by draining enough Democrat votes to ensure a Trump re-election.
The Republican party in Texas disagrees, they sued to kick LP candidates off the ballot.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Malbec
quash said:

Malbec said:

JXL said:

quash said:

The Republican party in Texas disagrees, they sued to kick LP candidates off the ballot.
And Democrats sued to keep Green Party candidates off the ballot in Texas for the exact same reason; not paying the required filing fees. So?.
wuzzybear
settegast said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

"Okay Mr. Vice President. Your claim just now of 200 million Americans have died of Covid-19, is slightly off. Would you care to revisit this claim? We don't have 200,000 more minutes in this debate, so please give us your answer in a timely manner."

You didn't answer the question. Would you like to see real time fact checking
NO YOU NUTCASE. Let that occur after the debate is over. When you were a member of your high school debate team did you have a referee calling balls and strikes. I didn't think so. It's up to the opposition to point out the truth as they perceive it to be. You cannot have a very short hour and half debate stopped by some buzzer to check facts. Of course that is what they want to do because they know Trump will romp and stomp all over Biden and Biden will stutter and stammer his way through some kind of weird incomprehensible answer. Fact checking would become the focus of the debate rather than the candidates.
quash
Malbec said:

quash said:

Malbec said:

JXL said:

quash said:

And Democrats sued to keep Green Party candidates off the ballot in Texas for the exact same reason; not paying the required filing fees. So?.

So that reflects which party is worried about losing votes to the LP. You had it wrong.

As to the filing fees. That was a law passed by the Too Party to pay for primaries. Both the Greens and the LP use conventions. Not primaries. See a problem?
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Malbec
quash said:

Malbec said:

quash said:

Malbec said:

JXL said:

quash said:

So that reflects which party is worried about losing votes to the LP. You had it wrong.

As to the filing fees. That was a law passed by the Too Party to pay for primaries. Both the Greens and the LP use conventions. Not primaries. See a problem?
No, I don't see a problem. I am not talking about a vote drain in a state where the outcome is not in any reasonable doubt. The lawsuits do not affect presidential ballot access in Texas, which has been certified for both the Libertarian Party and the Green Party since December, 2019.

fadskier
settegast said:

How many would agree that the debate be fact checked in real time? This would give the candidates time to correct if they misspoke and voters the opportunity to hear/see the truth otherwise.
Thoughts?
Would depend on who is doing the fact-checking....
Salute the Marines - Joe Biden
quash
Malbec said:

quash said:

Malbec said:

quash said:

Malbec said:

JXL said:

quash said:

No, I don't see a problem. I am not talking about a vote drain in a state where the outcome is not in any reasonable doubt. The lawsuits do not affect presidential ballot access in Texas, which has been certified for both the Libertarian Party and the Green Party since December, 2019.

The vote drain, as you call it, is not specific to Texas: LP candidates hurt Republicans more than they do Democrats.

And you have no problem with a user fee on people who don't use the service? Why in the world not?
Malbec
quash said:

Malbec said:

quash said:

Malbec said:

quash said:

Malbec said:

JXL said:

quash said:

The vote drain, as you call it, is not specific to Texas: LP candidates hurt Republicans more than they do Democrats.

And you have no problem with a user fee on people who don't use the service? Why in the world not?
You mean like a venue tax on hotels and car rentals for people who don't use the venues? What world have you been living in? Every governmental authority uses fees and taxes paid by those who never use the services they fund. Perhaps if minor parties took advantage of the primary system, they would generate far more interest in their parties. If they have to pay the fee (and it has been upheld), use the benefits that the fee provides.
Johnny Bear
fadskier said:

settegast said:

How many would agree that the debate be fact checked in real time? This would give the candidates time to correct if they misspoke and voters the opportunity to hear/see the truth otherwise.
Thoughts?
Would depend on who is doing the fact-checking....

Which is exactly why it's a terrible idea and should never happen in real time. There's plenty of time to do it after the debate(s) when whomever the "fact checker" is can also be fact checked.
quash
Malbec said:

quash said:

Malbec said:

quash said:

Malbec said:

quash said:

Malbec said:

JXL said:

quash said:

You mean like a venue tax on hotels and car rentals for people who don't use the venues? What world have you been living in? Every governmental authority uses fees and taxes paid by those who never use the services they fund. Perhaps if minor parties took advantage of the primary system, they would generate far more interest in their parties. If they have to pay the fee (and it has been upheld), use the benefits that the fee provides.

No, like a user fee, as I already said. And the LP is never going to use a state run primary, are you kidding me? Just glance at out platform. Once even.

The LP were the winners in the GOP lawsuit. They'll have to use other ways to manipulate the election.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
This just in from a highly respected anonymous source. Joe Biden has a cough and a little shortness of breath. He coughed so strongly today, he soiled himself. Twice. Odds are now 50/50 whether or not he shows up tomorrow for the debate. We shall see.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
GrowlTowel
settegast said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

"Okay Mr. Vice President. Your claim just now of 200 million Americans have died of Covid-19, is slightly off. Would you care to revisit this claim? We don't have 200,000 more minutes in this debate, so please give us your answer in a timely manner."

You didn't answer the question. Would you like to see real time fact checking
We choose truth over facts,
fubar
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

This just in from a highly respected anonymous source. Joe Biden has a cough and a little shortness of breath. He coughed so strongly today, he soiled himself. Twice. Odds are now 50/50 whether or not he shows up tomorrow for the debate. We shall see.
Keep setting that bar a little lower.

But if you really believe it's 50/50 as to whether Biden shows, I got $100 that says he does.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
fubar said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

But if you really believe it's 50/50 as to whether Biden shows, I got $100 that says he does.
We are a little too close to the debate here, fubar. No. But I tell you what! We can wager $200 that Donald Trump wins the election over Sleepy Joe. What say you? Biden is WAY ahead in most polls. This should be easy money for you.

P.s. - If Biden exits the race before the election, I win.

-- Barack Obama
riflebear
I can think of 15-20 one liners that would completely destroy Biden based on facts & his 'career' in politics. I can also think of 15-20 that Biden could use that the media has been pushing that are lies or misleading that will hurt Trump. There are also legit things Biden could go after Trump for.

I would give anything to have a Chris Christie or Newt debate Biden. It would be over in 30 min, Biden would be curled up weeping w/ the facts and one liners they would throw at him.

Trump's strengths are he gets things done in a big way and he's a work-a-holic. This is not his format and we all know he rambles and over exaggerates.

If I was a betting man I would say Biden comes out looking better than Trump. I don't even want to watch I'm going to be so upset w/ the lies Biden pushes and the lack of preparedness and legit attacks Trump could push on Biden.

I'm sure both sides will come away w/ a few big moments they can replay and feel good about but we know the media will declare Biden the winner regardless. Unless Biden starts forgetting multiple things and can hang in their for 1.5 hours he'll be just fine and he won't have to go around campaigning.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

fubar said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

We are a little too close to the debate here, fubar. No. But I tell you what! We can wager $200 that Donald Trump wins the election over Sleepy Joe. What say you? Biden is WAY ahead in most polls. This should be easy money for you.

To the top. Let's light this candle. $200. Trump wins, I win. Biden wins, you win. I will dedicate my win to my long passed Air Force Lt. Colonel father, Buck Ward.

To be honest, fubar, I wonder what my Dad would have thought about Donald Trump. I honestly have no idea. He died in 2006.

-- Barack Obama
JXL
Malbec said:

JXL said:

quash said:

She would most likely mop the floor with both of them.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
JXL said:

Malbec said:

JXL said:

quash said:

I would have no problem with her being on stage and getting the opportunity. Unfortunately, our Swampy system will not allow it.

P.S.- Please don't tell quash I said that.

-- Barack Obama
quash
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

JXL said:

Malbec said:

JXL said:

quash said:

I would have no problem with her being on stage and getting the opportunity. Unfortunately, our Swampy system will not allow it.

Too late.

There are two requirements to being in the debate: be on enough state ballots to win an electoral majority; get 15% on any of the five approved polls.

Jorgensen is on the ballot in all 50 states.

She is not, however, even included in any of the five polls.

Rigged.
Canada2017
riflebear said:

If I was a betting man I would say Biden comes out looking better than Trump.

I'm sure both sides will come away w/ a few big moments they can replay and feel good about but we know the media will declare Biden the winner regardless.
Agreed

If only because 90% of the media is solidly anti Trump and the bar has been set so low for Biden he will easily exceed expectations.

If the debate is about DEM POLICIES ...Trump wins...because most of the American people have little idea what they involve and it will scare them to death .

If the debate is about personalities ...Biden will win .
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
quash said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

JXL said:

Malbec said:

JXL said:

quash said:

Too late.

There are two requirements to being in the debate: be on enough state ballots to win an electoral majority; get 15% on any of the five approved polls.

Rigged.
The Libertarian Party has some tweeking to do on their platform before I can get on board. As far as them being shut out in the debates, I agree with you. A third voice would make things much more interesting. Believe it or not, I am on your side here.

P.S. - Autocorrect changed tweeking to twerking, but I have no doubt that we don't want to see Biden or Trump twerk.

-- Barack Obama
quash
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

quash said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

JXL said:

Malbec said:

JXL said:

quash said:

Too late.

Rigged.
The Libertarian Party has some tweeking to do on their platform before I can get on board. As far as them being shut out in the debates, I agree with you. A third voice would make things much more interesting. Believe it or not, I am on your side here.
Way to go out on a limb and say the debate format is rigged.

Read the platform with the attitude of the perfect is the enemy of the good. Out LP threads are full of people saying "Gosh, I'd love to vote for Jorgensen but (insert some issue that doesn't even affect that person, but he and five other people give a crap)".
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

fubar said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

To the top. Let's light this candle. $200. Trump wins, I win. Biden wins, you win. I will dedicate my win to my long passed Air Force Lt. Colonel father, Buck Ward.

To be honest, fubar, I wonder what my Dad would have thought about Donald Trump. I honestly have no idea. He died in 2006.

Why hast thou forsaken me, fubar? $200. Trump wins the election, I win. Biden wins, you win.

-- Barack Obama
BaylorBJM
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

fubar said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

We are a little too close to the debate here, fubar. No.
riflebear
quash said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

quash said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

JXL said:

Malbec said:

JXL said:

quash said:

Too late.

Rigged.
Way to go out on a limb and say the debate format is rigged.

Read the platform with the attitude of the perfect is the enemy of the good. Out LP threads are full of people saying "Gosh, I'd love to vote for Jorgensen but (insert some issue that doesn't even affect that person, but he and five other people give a crap)".
One of the debate moderators literally interned w/ Biden
riflebear
Canada2017 said:

riflebear said:

If I was a betting man I would say Biden comes out looking better than Trump.

I'm sure both sides will come away w/ a few big moments they can replay and feel good about but we know the media will declare Biden the winner regardless.
Agreed

If only because 90% of the media is solidly anti Trump and the bar has been set so low for Biden he will easily exceed expectations.

If the debate is about DEM POLICIES ...Trump wins...because most of the American people have little idea what they involve and it will scare them to death .

If the debate is about personalities ...Biden will win .
Biden could easily put Trump on the defensive w/ every topic

Covid - you lied in public while saying something different on tape so you are responsible for 200k deaths.
Riots - This is Trump's America, you are spreading hate and racism
Economy - Obama & I had the best economy ever and you just benefited from that, now you ruined it w/ your response to Covid

Of course it would be easy to come back and counter each one of those w/ a better response to put Biden on the defensive so this is going to be very interesting to see the back and forth. I don't think I'm going to watch because I'm going to get frustrated w/ Trump's lack of debate skills and Biden's repeated lies manipulating data/facts.
Oldbear83
The media will say Biden won tonight, no matter what happens. That's not the point. What matters is how the candidates speak to the undecided voters and independents. Blame games and attacks are not going to win over people who are looking to see leadership and vision.

So it comes down to the message of the candidate, and how well the candidate stays on track.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Robert Wilson
JXL said:

quash said:

Concur

Unrelated - who selects and checks the fact checkers? It's all a circle jerk of bull***** Just let the candidates do it and don't pretend there are some great arbiters in the sky. It just makes it worse.
FormerFlash
Let's have Ben Shapiro do the fact checking. He's known for his catch phrase, "facts don't care about your feelings." He'll give it to everyone straight regardless of how it makes them feel.

In reality, most politicians use nebulous statements with truth mixed in but plenty of embellishment or vague additions that may mislead. Both sides do this. The problem is most fact checking is done by the left. They focus on the nuggets of truth included in statements made by left wing politicians and focus on the embellishment's in the right's statements. It's dishonest but it's politics.

I remember Trump saying during one state of the union address that 1/3 of women crossing the southern border were sexually assaulted at some point along their journey. A left wing media outlet that was real time fact checking the speech (something they never did to Obama), called it a lie. If you dug a little deeper you could learn they called it a lie because the study Trump referenced officially said something like 31.8% of women were sexually assaulted. That is dishonest fact checking. It's like if someone asked Trump what time is was and he said "a quarter to 3" and a fact checker called him a liar and in small print stated it was actually 2:43.
Sic Everyone.
riflebear
LOL - Biden asking for 2 breaks but got denied. Does he not know there will be multiple commercial breaks or does he need his handlers to remind him what to say?

J.R.
settegast said:

Thoughts?
Yes. that would be great because Trump is a ****ing liar. He is incapable of telling the truth.
Robert Wilson
J.R. said:

settegast said:

Thoughts?
Yes. that would be great because Trump is a ****ing liar. He is incapable of telling the truth.
I totally disagree. They're both liars, but so are the fact checkers. Just let the main liars lie and let us sort it out ourselves.
Canada2017
Reporter said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Mr. Vice President - do you expect to garner 5.2% of the vote for President so that your total would exceed that of Jimmy Ward for County Judge of Guadalupe County? ( this will trigger the usual bait and switch action of Jimmy Ward Publishing some silly posting accusing me of being someone I am not). We know you Jimmy. We live in your home County. And we are ashamed of you as are 94% of the residents of your home county.

Seriously fella....get some help.
Robert Wilson
FormerFlash said:

Let's have Ben Shapiro do the fact checking. He's known for his catch phrase, "facts don't care about your feelings." He'll give it to everyone straight regardless of how it makes them feel.

In reality, most politicians use nebulous statements with truth mixed in but plenty of embellishment or vague additions that may mislead. Both sides do this. The problem is most fact checking is done by the left. They focus on the nuggets of truth included in statements made by left wing politicians and focus on the embellishment's in the right's statements. It's dishonest but it's politics.

I remember Trump saying during one state of the union address that 1/3 of women crossing the southern border were sexually assaulted at some point along their journey. A left wing media outlet that was real time fact checking the speech (something they never did to Obama), called it a lie. If you dug a little deeper you could learn they called it a lie because the study Trump referenced officially said something like 31.8% of women were sexually assaulted. That is dishonest fact checking. It's like if someone asked Trump what time is was and he said "a quarter to 3" and a fact checker called him a liar and in small print stated it was actually 2:43.
The fact checking is bull***** It creates an appearance of veracity that just is never going to be there.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.