AOC to the Rescue for Texas.

6,673 Views | 91 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by bubbadog
Mitch Blood Green
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Dnicknames said:

She is going to come to Houston and say perhaps Texas should have been building an electric grid instead of a wall.

And the MAGA group is going to lose their minds.

Cruz making it back is a failure of the wall.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Why do some of you call her a bartender? I guess you were born into your present job. I think her moving from tending bar to winning an election says at least a little for her. I have ridden a garbage truck, bounced for White Zombie and ran numbers in Houston before i got my present job. I know some were but were all of you born on second base?

I dont care for most or any of her policies but I admire her ambition and dance moves,
I have found theres only two ways to go:
Living fast or dying slow.
I dont want to live forever.
But I will live while I'm here.
Wrecks Quan Dough
Limited IQ Redneck in PU said:

Why do some of you call her a bartender? I guess you were born into your present job. I think her moving from tending bar to winning an election says at least a little for her. I have ridden a garbage truck, bounced for White Zombie and ran numbers in Houston before i got my present job. I know some were but were all of you born on second base?

I dont care for most or any of her policies but I admire her ambition and dance moves,

I called her a bartender because that is the extent of her subject matter expertise.
boognish_bear
Guess it's up to 3 mil now

Thee University
Get your @$$#$ back to work. You all three will each cost the State of Texas many times more than $3.2M.
Forest Bueller

I've been a cotton chopper, dishwasher and busboy.

Nothing wrong with honest work.
Forest Bueller
boognish_bear said:

Guess it's up to 3 mil now

Well, it's an obvious photo shoot, and she cost New Yorkers thousands of jobs, but the optics are good for her here.
fadskier
Meladee said:

Carlos Safety said:

Dnicknames said:

She is going to come to Houston and say perhaps Texas should have been building an electric grid instead of a wall.

And the MAGA group is going to lose their minds.

That probably won't happen, Dicknames. This is a 7 day trial period of what AOCs America looks like. Most of us will take a pass.
How do you figure that? Republicans have had control of Texas for decades and refused to winterize power plants. You can't blame this on renewables. This disaster is the failure of prioritizing profits over people's lives.
This cannot be a serious post.
fubar
Carlos Safety said:

I called her a bartender because that is the extent of her subject matter expertise.
If that's the standard, thanks for your input, barfly.
Malbec
Forest Bueller said:

I've been a cotton chopper, dishwasher and busboy.

Nothing wrong with honest work.
I shoveled **** in a dairy farm. I guess that's why my wife still calls me ****head every now and then.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Carlos Safety said:

Can yiou help me? I am looking for the thread about the millions you donated. Then I can compare her weight to your weight. Lets here about your expertise.
Wrecks Quan Dough

Carlos Safety said:

Can yiou help me? I am looking for the thread about the millions you donated. Then I can compare her weight to your weight. Lets here about your expertise.

She hasn't donated anything that I am aware of. She "raised awareness" and others donated to ActBlue.
Wrecks Quan Dough
fubar said:

Carlos Safety said:

If that's the standard, thanks for your input, barfly.

Don't be butt hurt. She knows nothing about anything beyond how to make a great Manhattan. But she got elected to Congress. She is not the only one in Congress that knows nothing. She is just the one that advertises it the loudest.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Carlos Safety said:

Carlos Safety said:

She hasn't donated anything that I am aware of. She "raised awareness" and others donated to ActBlue.
"A fundraising effort spearheaded by New York Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez to help storm-battered Texans has raised more than $4 million in just a few days."

Ok. Change the word "donated" to "raised". I tell us what Carlos did for the state of Texas this weekend beyond the level of barfly. I didnt do anything but then again I am not insulting those that did.
contrario
"Never look a gift horse in the mouth."

I've never heard so much complaining about a fundraiser to help people impacted by a natural disaster. I don't agree with all of her politics, but good for AOC for doing this. Yes, she will play the politics on this as much as she can, but every politician does that. That's why they always have posed photo shoots anytime they do something good.
Wrecks Quan Dough

Carlos Safety said:

Carlos Safety said:

"A fundraising effort spearheaded by New York Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez to help storm-battered Texans has raised more than $4 million in just a few days."

Ok. Change the word "donated" to "raised". I tell us what Carlos did for the state of Texas this weekend beyond the level of barfly. I didnt do anything but then again I am not insulting those that did.

The money went to ActBlue. I am not insulting her for raising awareness and getting money donated to ActBlue. I am just saying she is a know nothing.

If you did nothing for Texas, then I did more than you. And that is all that needs to be said about that.
Oldbear83
Carlos Safety said:

Carlos Safety said:

Carlos Safety said:

The money went to ActBlue. I am not insulting her for raising awareness and getting money donated to ActBlue. I am just saying she is a know nothing.

If you did nothing for Texas, then I did more than you. And that is all that needs to be said about that.
Do you have a link showing the money went to ActBlue? I don't like AOC's politics at all, but it appears a lot of money went straight to charities like the Houston Food Bank.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Houston Food Bank, Family Eldercare, Feeding Texas and the Bridge Homeless Recovery Center.

https://www.npr.org/sections/live-updates-winter-storms-2021/2021/02/20/969809679/ocasio-cortez-fundraising-drive-for-texas-relief-raises-4-million

Wrecks Quan Dough
Oldbear83 said:

Carlos Safety said:

Carlos Safety said:

Carlos Safety said:

Do you have a link showing the money went to ActBlue? I don't like AOC's politics at all, but it appears a lot of money went straight to charities like the Houston Food Bank.

The link on her Feb 18, 2021 Twitter post would be a good place to start. It went to secure.ActBlue.
bubbadog
During the past year I've been deluged with fund-raising appeals from both sides (still getting deluged, in fact), so I've taken a little time to look behind the curtain to see how they work.

ActBlue is a passthrough. Campaigns (or causes like this one) set up an account through ActBlue like you might set up a GoFundMe account. The idea is that it saves them the time and effort of setting up their own donor platform. Then money that gets donated goes straight through ActBlue to the campaign in question.

The Republicans have a similar operation called WinRed. Also Give.GOP and Anedot.

So the fact that money may have been donated for Texas through ActBlue doesn't mean that Texas didn't get the money.

The one place where you might make an argument involves processing fees.

GoFundMe takes just under 3% of the amounts donated, plus 30 cents for each transaction.
Act Blue takes just under 4%, with no individual transaction fee. Donate $100 to assist Texas through Act Blue, and Texas would actually receive $96.05 Donate the same $100 to Texas through GoFundMe, and Texas would actually receive $96.75.

So when AOC set up this relief effort through ActBlue, was she trying to give a slight boost to an entity that helps Democrats, or just using a platform she was already familiar with? Maybe a bit of both? Who knows? And should I care all that much, compared to the good that the money will do for people in Texas?
WinRed, btw, charges just under 4% plus 30 cents. That has been a source of controversy because the other GOP-centered platforms charge lower fees, but the RNC is trying to push all donations to its own WinRed platform.

Also btw, as a bit of trivia, the Europeans have been using their own "viral" method of disaster assistance for a century. They did it through post-offices and special types of stamps sometimes called charity stamps. You'd go to the post office and request these stamps, which covered the cost of postage plus a designated surtax for the charity. The particular stamp would depict the particular charitable cause -- maybe to assist war orphans or tuberculosis victims. They were often used for disaster relief, and one category for the Germans, Austrians and Swiss was "winterhilfe" -- specifically for people affected by weather-related challenges in winter.
BaylorOkie
Thank you for posting this - very good info about Act Blue, I appreciate it.

So, speaking for myself, AOC is a crappy congresswoman. Her policies are largely bad for America. She's angry and loves to play the victim card to rile up her base.

But dammit if she didn't step up and help in a significant way this week. She does have a compassionate side to her, and she wants to make a positive impact. I don't know if there are any ulterior motives built into this or not, but I do know $4m and counting has been raised to help people in a very difficult time. Kudos.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
BaylorOkie said:

Thank you for posting this - very good info about Act Blue, I appreciate it.

So, speaking for myself, AOC is a crappy congresswoman. Her policies are largely bad for America. She's angry and loves to play the victim card to rile up her base.

But dammit if she didn't step up and help in a significant way this week. She does have a compassionate side to her, and she wants to make a positive impact. I don't know if there are any ulterior motives built into this or not, but I do know $4m and counting has been raised to help people in a very difficult time. Kudos.
I agree with you. I would never vote for anyone like her with her agenda but apparently she might not be as evil and certainly not as stupid as some pretend she is,

Thank for the informative post Bubbadog
Leonidas
The contrast between her and Cruz on this is striking. Maybe I missed it, but don't recall Cruz working a food bank, visiting a home other than his own, or raising any funds for Texas charities either before or after he fled to the Cancun Ritz.
fadskier
Leonidas said:

The contrast between her and Cruz on this is striking. Maybe I missed it, but don't recall Cruz working a food bank, visiting a home other than his own, or raising any funds for Texas charities either before or after he fled to the Cancun Ritz.
He did. It wasn't publicized until today.

What AOC did was great, but let's not pretend it was noble. She was very, very public about it and in a state where she accused the sitting Senator of trying to have her murdered. She one-upped Cruz on this for political gain. Point for her.
Wrecks Quan Dough
fadskier said:

Leonidas said:

He did. It wasn't publicized until today.

What AOC did was great, but let's not pretend it was noble. She was very, very public about it and in a state where she accused the sitting Senator of trying to have her murdered. She one-upped Cruz on this for political gain. Point for her.

She may have done more for Texas than she has done for her own district simply because she hasn't run any employers out of the Lone Star State. Let that sink in before we all think she is about more than political points.
contrario
Leonidas said:

Cruz shouldn't have gone to Cancun, but you just aren't paying attention if you haven't seen what he has done. FWIW I'm sure it was purely a phot-op, but there is a story in this thread about what he did to help those impacted by this.
BikerBear
Carlos Safety said:

You can learn a hell of a lot working in a bar, or working any real job for that matter.
Wrecks Quan Dough
BikerBear said:

Carlos Safety said:

You can learn a hell of a lot working in a bar, or working any real job for that matter.
You can. But she did not.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Has she done more for Texas than you?
Wrecks Quan Dough

Has she done more for Texas than you?

Nope.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
5 million (yes, it keeps going) by the age of 32. Make your case.

Mitch Blood Green
Carlos Safety said:

Carlos Safety said:

Carlos Safety said:

Actblue offers infrastructure for fundraising. They have the ability accept monies and segment it as needed. It's appropriate that she'd use their platform for this cause.
Wrecks Quan Dough

5 million (yes, it keeps going) by the age of 32. Make your case.

You act like that its her money going to ActBlue.
Wrecks Quan Dough
tommie said:

Carlos Safety said:

Carlos Safety said:

Carlos Safety said:

Actblue offers infrastructure for fundraising. They have the ability accept monies and segment it as needed. It's appropriate that she'd use their platform for this cause.

A lot of words to tell us nothing.
Wichitabear
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Good for her. This and her calling out of Andrew Cuomo makes me think maybe she is growing up a little before our eyes. We still gotta work on her on that bat**** crazy New Green Deal thing.

Blue star for AOC this week.
I agree. My heart soften and I appreciate what she did.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.