Trump's tax records can be released to NY grand jury

3,799 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by robby44
PartyBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
No one said that they are.
Mothra
HuMcK said:

Mothra said:

muddybrazos said:

Do people really think that Trump is doing his own taxes and trying to cheat or something? He probably has 30 accountants at KPMG working on his stuff and a whole team of tax attorneys. This will end up being another nothing burger then on to the next gotcha thing on Trump that will be another nothing.
Agreed. This was an attempt to damage Trump politically under the guise that it had some criminal implications. Trump may not have paid much in taxes, but I guarantee you everything he filed was kosher.

Michael Cohen kind of already told us what they are looking at, he has one set of books for insurance, one set for lending institutions, and another for the IRS (probably the one he was most honest in), the implication being that he committed fraud with one or all of those different sets of books. If the property values he reported on his tax filings are significantly different (lower) than the valuations he used to get loans and insurance, that's a problem.

Even if true, that to me sounds more like a civil issue than a crime. Most lenders don't even require sworn financial statements much less tax returns.
Osodecentx
Carlos Cruz said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Trump is aggressive in most areas of his life. I'm sure pursuing the lowest number on his tax return is included.

Does anyone believe he wouldn't cut corners?

If my accountant didn't take ever possible deduction I would hire a different accountant.
Did you demand that your accountant take marginal deductions that were legally marginal?

Is it a criminal act to take "marginal" deductions?
Not necessarily
Osodecentx
Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Trump is aggressive in most areas of his life. I'm sure pursuing the lowest number on his tax return is included.

If my accountant didn't take ever possible deduction I would hire a different accountant.
Did you demand that your accountant take marginal deductions that were legally marginal?

Am unaware of 'marginal ' deductions that are legally 'marginal'.

However if the IRS has created such classifications ....the murkiness that results is their responsibility not mine nor my accountant 's.
You have never pushed the speed limit?
I have. I usually go 5 MPH over the limit, but never 15 MPH
contrario
PartyBear said:

No one said that they are.
Did you even look at what HuMcK said before you responded?

" If the property values he reported on his tax filings are significantly different (lower) than the valuations he used to get loans and insurance, that's a problem."

What do you think he meant by that? The value that is reported in your tax returns has no impact on loans or insurable value. There is a reason we have 3rd parties to handle those matters.
PartyBear
Yes I did and stand by what I said.

I have heard no one allege Trump used the valuation on his returns to get loans. In fact I think the allegation is the opposite. I'm thinking you don't quite understand what Cohen was saying in his testimony which Huck summarized above as a problem if true.
BaylorGuy314
contrario said:

HuMcK said:

Mothra said:

muddybrazos said:

Do people really think that Trump is doing his own taxes and trying to cheat or something? He probably has 30 accountants at KPMG working on his stuff and a whole team of tax attorneys. This will end up being another nothing burger then on to the next gotcha thing on Trump that will be another nothing.
Agreed. This was an attempt to damage Trump politically under the guise that it had some criminal implications. Trump may not have paid much in taxes, but I guarantee you everything he filed was kosher.

Michael Cohen kind of already told us what they are looking at, he has one set of books for insurance, one set for lending institutions, and another for the IRS (probably the one he was most honest in), the implication being that he committed fraud with one or all of those different sets of books. If the property values he reported on his tax filings are significantly different (lower) than the valuations he used to get loans and insurance, that's a problem.
Values in tax returns aren't used to determine loan eligibility.
Thank you for saying this.

To be clear, I am not defending Trump at all (I have no idea if he's done anything) but it is not illegal - or uncommon - for tax returns not to match company books. GAAP (General Accepted Accounting Principles) and the tax code do not always agree and diverge in many places.

As a former commercial banker, I assure you that it was actually quite unusual for the books provided to me by a borrower to match tax returns, except for companies that had fully audited financials (which is absolutely not a requirement to get a bank loan and not even expected for many types of companies).

I'll make a projection - Trump has a million legal entities that hold his assets in silos, mostly for liability purposes (but also potentially for tax purposes). Many of them are almost certain to show large losses (via depreciation or intentional expenses) in order to offset the tax liability of the companies that do make money. I'm also going to guess that many of these single asset holding companies don't prepare in-depth, GAAP-compliant financials which means they aren't going to match tax returns. I'm also going to guess there are lots of intercompany loans/transactions that complicate the picture further.

There is certainly a gray area here and MANY people dance in it. Make no mistake- nearly every person in Congress or politics that has any kind of net worth (whether they have a D or R next to their name) do the same for a variety of reasons.

Of course there is also outright fraud (intentionally overstating assets or intentionally understating known liabilities) and that's obviously not ok. But just having a different asset valuation on tax returns vs company financials doesn't mean anything in the least. Many times, cost-basis is used on tax returns while market value is used in company financials.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Trump gets hit with a penalty because any good investigator is going to be able to find SOMETHING if they try to unwind a knot that big. It's like an NCAA investigator digging into an athletic program - they can probably find a rule violation somewhere if they try hard enough, even if it wasn't necessary malicious or intentional.

HuMcK
contrario said:

HuMcK said:

Mothra said:

muddybrazos said:

Sure, but if they deviate enough and they have evidence of intent, that would be a problem. Or if they lied about revenue figures, that could be an issue. I don't pretend to know what Cy Vance is thinking, but I guarantee you he didn't bring this case (involving The President at the time) before a Grand Jury just for giggles.
Mothra
HuMcK said:

contrario said:

HuMcK said:

Mothra said:

muddybrazos said:

Sure, but if they deviate enough and they have evidence of intent, that would be a problem. Or if they lied about revenue figures, that could be an issue. I don't pretend to know what Cy Vance is thinking, but I guarantee you he didn't bring this case (involving The President at the time) before a Grand Jury just for giggles.
What are the criminal statutes that you think that such problems - if any - violate?

Prosecutors put stuff before grand juries all the time to get a rubber stamp, regardless of questionable merit. Cy Vance has shown himself to be a highly partisan elected official. I don't put it past him - nor any other prosecutor for that matter.
HuMcK
Yes we get it, you'll call any investigations if Trump partisan so you can dismiss it, you don't have to keep repeating it.

18 US Code 1344: "Whoever knowingly executes, or attempts to execute, a scheme or artifice (...) to obtain any of the (...) funds (...) of a financial institution by means of false or fraudulent pretenses, representations..."

18 US Code 1014: "whoever knowingly makes false any statement or report, or willfully overvalues land, property, or security for the purposes or influencing in any way the action of (...) any institution the accounts of which are insured by the FDIC (...), upon any insurance agreement or application for insurance or a guarantee (...) shall be fined (...) or imprisoned (...) or both..."
contrario
HuMcK said:

contrario said:

HuMcK said:

Mothra said:

muddybrazos said:

If he lied about revenue on tax returns, that would be a problem. But the value reported in tax returns just isn't used to determine loan eligibility, it just isn't. It doesn't matter how much the variance is. If he lied about revenue, that's an issue though.
Canada2017
Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

However if the IRS has created such classifications ....the murkiness that results is their responsibility not mine nor my accountant 's.

Dont push the speed limit where the IRS is concerned .

Drive right up to the limit .

As a result have been audited 4 times over the years.

Paid a very slight penalty twice, got a refund once and nothing resulted in the 4th.
J.R.
Carlos Cruz said:

HuMcK said:

Mothra said:

muddybrazos said:

Wow! That is some earth-shattering stuff. Just imagine if companies and high-net worth individuals kept one set of books to comply with the IRS requirement and then used another set of books to communicate to lenders, analysts, and the public in a format that provides those groups the information they deem most important to them.
don't know what you do for a living , but in the business world......we call that fraud.
J.R.
tommie said:

muddybrazos said:

KPMG ain't ****ing with him and he would t be willing to pay those fees.
He does not use KPMG. He uses Mazars. I'm fairly sure KPMG , Deloitte etc would not get into bed with that crook. They have very, very, strict standards. One of my good friends is Vice Chairman of one of those and he told me directly....We would never do business with him.
Wrecks Quan Dough
J.R. said:

Carlos Cruz said:

HuMcK said:

Mothra said:

muddybrazos said:

Wow! That is some earth-shattering stuff. Just imagine if companies and high-net worth individuals kept one set of books to comply with the IRS requirement and then used another set of books to communicate to lenders, analysts, and the public in a format that provides those groups the information they deem most important to them.
don't know what you do for a living , but in the business world......we call that fraud.

Nope.
Bexar Pitts
If there are prosecutable offenses uncovered in this investigation.I believe .this man is more than capable of serving justice to the violators.. https://www.businessinsider.com/manhattan-district-attorney-hires-mark-pomerantz-mafia-prosector-investigate-trump-2021-2
whitetrash
J.R. said:

tommie said:

muddybrazos said:

He does not use KPMG. He uses Mazars. I'm fairly sure KPMG , Deloitte etc would not get into bed with that crook. They have very, very, strict standards. One of my good friends is Vice Chairman of one of those and he told me directly....We would never do business with him.
Trump might say the same about KPMG.

https://www.justice.gov/archive/opa/pr/2005/August/05_ag_433.html

https://www.whistleblowerlawyerblog.com/kpmg_tax_shelter_fraud_trial_e/
Mothra
HuMcK said:

Yes we get it, you'll call any investigations if Trump partisan so you can dismiss it, you don't have to keep repeating it.

18 US Code 1344: "Whoever knowingly executes, or attempts to execute, a scheme or artifice (...) to obtain any of the (...) funds (...) of a financial institution by means of false or fraudulent pretenses, representations..."

18 US Code 1014: "whoever knowingly makes false any statement or report, or willfully overvalues land, property, or security for the purposes or influencing in any way the action of (...) any institution the accounts of which are insured by the FDIC (...), upon any insurance agreement or application for insurance or a guarantee (...) shall be fined (...) or imprisoned (...) or both..."
Thanks for pointing out the statute as requested. But again, what does that have to do with tax returns, which are not used by financial institutions or insurance companies?

"We," as if anyone agrees with your partisan ramblings.
Osodecentx
Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Paid a very slight penalty twice, got a refund once and nothing resulted in the 4th.
I believe Trump is capable of pushing way past the speed limit
Mitch Blood Green
J.R. said:

tommie said:

muddybrazos said:

I spent a significant part of my career at one of those firms. I'm with your friend. As we used to say, I wouldn't touch him with Statman's dick.
Canada2017
Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

I believe Biden, Obama, Pelosi, Cuomo, and a couple of dozen other politicians are just as capable.

But those other characters have 'cover' right now .

Trump doesn't.....it's open season on Mr Orange Hair .

Oldbear83
"They don't waste their time if they don't think I they have the goods."

When the attackers are Democrats and the target is Trump, we know by now that they damn well do!!!
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Osodecentx
Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

I believe Biden, Obama, Pelosi, Cuomo, and a couple of dozen other politicians are just as capable.

I won't argue against that, other than to note all of the politicians have released their tax returns
Canada2017
Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

I won't argue against that, other than to note all of the politicians have released their tax returns

If your employer demanded you publish your tax returns as a condition for your continued employment.....when it had never be demanded previously......

would you do it ?
Osodecentx
Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

If your employer demanded you publish your tax returns as a condition for your continued employment.....when it had never be demanded previously......

would you do it ?
Depends on the job. Every nominee for at least 24 years before Trump released their tax returns

All of the politicians you listed have released their tax returns.

It isn't a crime
Canada2017
Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

would you do it ?
Depends on the job. Every nominee for at least 24 years before Trump released their tax returns

It isn't a crime
you are side stepping the question
Oldbear83
Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

would you do it ?

It isn't a crime

Of course he is.

Trump, whatever else someone says, was an exception to the normal political candidate. And he knew that his taxes would be used against him even if he was squeaky-clean, simply due to the complex nature of his business and the strong hatred the Establishment politicians had against him.

We saw this when the illegally-obtained taxes published by the NYT revealed no illegal acts, but were presented as if taking a loss in a given year was somehow wrong. We see this in media accounts which ignore that the IRS has not filed any kind of charges against Trump, and the IRS are the top dogs in rooting out tax fraud.

It's guilt by accusation, so of course Trump had no intention of allowing his private documents to used that way.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Osodecentx
Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

would you do it ?

It isn't a crime

Depends on the job.
You demand a "yes/no" answer when the question is nuanced. It's like demanding a yes no answer to the question of "how do you bake a cake".

If the job was the best one I could imagine, yes I would release my income tax returns.
If my income tax returns revealed multiple felonious deductions, I would not release them.

If my returns showed aggressive deductions, it would depend on the job.
BikerBear
muddybrazos said:

Of course he doesn't do his own taxes. He has someone else do them, and then refuses to pay them! :-)
Canada2017
Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

would you do it ?

It isn't a crime

Depends on the job.
You demand a "yes/no" answer when the question is nuanced. It's like demanding a yes no answer to the question of "how do you bake a cake".

If the job was the best one I could imagine, yes I would release my income tax returns.
If my income tax returns revealed multiple felonious deductions, I would not release them.

Thank you for your answer .

If I needed the job I would release my tax returns.
If I didn't need the job I wouldn't.
Osodecentx
Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

would you do it ?

It isn't a crime

Depends on the job.

Thank you for your answer .

If I needed the job I would release my tax returns.
If I didn't need the job I wouldn't.
Yep. Me too
robby44
tommie said:

J.R. said:

tommie said:

muddybrazos said:

I spent a significant part of my career at one of those firms. I'm with your friend. As we used to say, I wouldn't touch him with Statman's dick.

Hilarious
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.