Abbott now accepting donations to help build the Texas border wall

6,189 Views | 91 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Wrecks Quan Dough
boognish_bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
LIB,MR BEARS said:

That price tells me it is a colossal waste of money. I'm all for a wall and increased border security with controlled immigration but, this price is anything but a good use of money.

Agree.feels like that amount of money could better serve Texans in other areas.

That's a hell of a lot to spend on a physical structure that may not even do much to slow border crossing any way.
PartyBear
boognish_bear said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

That price tells me it is a colossal waste of money. I'm all for a wall and increased border security with controlled immigration but, this price is anything but a good use of money.

That's a hell of a lot to spend on a physical structure that may not even do much to slow border crossing any way.
Such as the grid for starters. Abbott is clearly not interested in actual governing.
bear2be2
PartyBear said:

boognish_bear said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Such as the grid for starters. Abbott is clearly not interested in actual governing.
I gave him some benefit of the doubt early in the pandemic, but he's become a full-on Trump sycophant in the last year. He's been far more interested in playing and appealing to that base than leading, and it has shown.
J.B.Katz
boognish_bear said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

There's also the eminent domain issue.

Trumplicans did not come off as the part of individual rights when they started commandeerig ppls property along the border to build this wall.
Wrecks Quan Dough
J.B.Katz said:

boognish_bear said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Trumplicans did not come off as the part of individual rights when they started commandeerig ppls property along the border to build this wall.
You mean taking of private land for just compensation to build a public work when building the wall? That would be opposed to allowing thousands of people to enter illegally, trespass on farms, homes, and private businesses, and destroy crops and private property without actually paying the people for the loss incurred?

It all comes down to values. Your values say let people enter unabated and allow them to violate the personal and property rights of others after their illegal entry. The other set of values, which you reject, say pay the people for a portion of the land to protect the personal and property rights of the many. We all have choices to make and you made yours. it just costs other people their money and use of their property, but at least you feel good about yourself.
BaylorOkie
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Don't worry, they'll print more.
Whiskey Pete
J.B.Katz said:

boognish_bear said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

eminent domain used to build a mall, not so good...

eminent domain used to provide better security for our border, no so bad...
LIB,MR BEARS
BaylorOkie said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Don't worry, they'll print more.
very true
tombeaux
Our grandchildren will go to museums and see pieces of this stupid wall on display, then look up at their parents and ask, "Were grandma and grandpa stupid?"
Wrecks Quan Dough
tombeaux said:

Our grandchildren will go to museums and see pieces of this stupid wall on display, then look up at their parents and ask, "Were grandma and grandpa stupid?"

Will they call you stupid in English or Spanish?
tombeaux
Carlos Cruz said:

tombeaux said:

Neither. The wall fetish won't fare well over time.
Wrecks Quan Dough
tombeaux said:

Carlos Cruz said:

tombeaux said:

Neither. The wall fetish won't fare well over time.
The Chinese and their wall say otherwise.
Redbrickbear
tombeaux said:

In reality the USA global empire might not even exist by the time any of your fictitious grandchildren show up.
Redbrickbear
ScruffyD said:

What do we do right?

Property taxes are out of control.

You can fund a state government two ways: either have high income taxes or high property taxes.

The other way is cut government spending....but that will never happen.

I prefer high taxes on property. It insures that even people with a low valued homes ($100,000) still pay something. Those who move to larger and larger home pay even more.

Income taxes are always gamed/rigged. The super rich never pay and the lower income end up being exempted in most cases.

https://www.economist.com/finance-and-economics/2017/06/01/the-super-rich-are-different-they-pay-less-tax

https://www.moneytips.com/how-the-mega-rich-avoid-paying-taxes

4th and Inches
J.B.Katz said:

boognish_bear said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Trump's popularity soared in basically all the border counties

This was an important issue for those people.

My cousin offered to give the govt his border land for a wall to be built on
boognish_bear
boognish_bear
Wangchung
Imagine being so politically biased you convince yourself that walls don't work. ****ing WALLS. Incredible.
Redbrickbear
Wangchung said:

Imagine being so politically biased you convince yourself that walls don't work. ****ing WALLS. Incredible.

Oh they know walls work.

Famous music artists, Hollywood types, Nancy Pelosi, one the leaders of BLM…all build walls around their own homes to protect themselves.

They just don't want our national home to have a wall.

SSadler
Abbott is a do-as-Trump-says GOOBER!
Wangchung
SSadler said:

Abbott is a do-as-Trump-says GOOBER!
Wrong. Abbott went a long time not doing anything significant about the border, even after Trump left office. It took Tucker Carlson's daily berating and airing of his political opponents to get him to move on this crisis.
Wrecks Quan Dough
J.B.Katz said:

bear2be2 said:

Rawhide said:

Porteroso said:

Texas is run by some of the biggest idiots ever. It's amazing the state manages to do anything right.
If it was run by more liberals, they wouldn't get anything right.

Just look at the California and New York... imbeciles have been in charge in those places for way too long.
As a proponent of moderate, pragmatic governance, I have little use for "leaders" on either extreme of the political spectrum. But it's hard to make a compelling case for your side when it can neither heat or cool its citizens without a blackout or a threat of one.
And when the leaders fly off to Cancun leaving their constituents and their dog to freeze to death in the cold and dark. Anybody who votes for Cruz after that is a dumbass.
Why? Because he left to a warm clime? After trading mean tweets and good results for a dementia ridden commie who is not even charge of his own administration, double-digit inflation, and one foreign policy embarrassment after another, I think I will not be voting against policy or for a Democrat for a very long time.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.