Juneteenth to become federal holiday

16,195 Views | 215 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Porteroso
Jack Bauer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Brought to you by Derek Chauvin. What will you do on your day off - golf, beach, yardwork?

Is it homophobic to have Juneteenth during Pride month? The intersectionalism is staggering.

Quote:

For the first time in nearly 40 years, Congress has moved to establish a new national holiday, this time for Juneteenth, and just in time for Saturday's 156th anniversary of the day which marks the last African American slaves being freed in Texas in the wake of the Civil War.

The House voted Wednesday night to pass the legislation. It heads next to President Joe Biden's desk for a signature. When Biden signs it, as he's expected to, Juneteenth will officially become a federal holiday -- the first since Martin Luther King Jr. Day was signed into law in 1983.

Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee of Texas, a fierce advocate for the Black community who sponsored the legislation in the House, proudly announced from the podium the "bill is passed" before bringing the gavel down.

midgett
Jack Bauer said:

Brought to you by Derek Chavin. What will you do on your day off - golf, beach, yardwork?

Is it homophobic to have Juneteenth during Pride month? The intersectionalism is staggering.

Quote:

For the first time in nearly 40 years, Congress has moved to establish a new national holiday, this time for Juneteenth, and just in time for Saturday's 156th anniversary of the day which marks the last African American slaves being freed in Texas in the wake of the Civil War.

The House voted Wednesday night to pass the legislation. It heads next to President Joe Biden's desk for a signature. When Biden signs it, as he's expected to, Juneteenth will officially become a federal holiday -- the first since Martin Luther King Jr. Day was signed into law in 1983.

Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee of Texas, a fierce advocate for the Black community who sponsored the legislation in the House, proudly announced from the podium the "bill is passed" before bringing the gavel down.

Fits Democratic ideology. Work as little as possible.
Redbrickbear
It's a holiday for Texas blacks...very strange to make it a national holiday.

Even most liberals didn't know it was a thing until like 4 years ago.
Porteroso
The thing passed unanimously in the Senate, didn't it? But the resident conservatives have a problem celebrating the end of slavery? I knew it lol, I was thinking of the sicem365 reaction when I saw it a while ago.
Proud 1992 Alum
I have no problem with people celebrating Juneteenth. But establishing a new national holiday in 2021 to celebrate an event that happened in 1865 - 156 years ago - is a bad idea. Maybe we should commemorate the War of 1812 or the signing of the Magna Carta. Also, how long until Hispanics want a holiday since blacks have 2 (MLK and Juneteenth). What about native Americans? It is interesting that I see my phone's dictionary doesn't even include Juneteenth as a word as I type this.
Redbrickbear
Proud 1992 Alum said:

I have no problem with people celebrating Juneteenth. But establishing a new national holiday in 2021 to celebrate an event that happened in 1865 - 156 years ago - is a bad idea. Maybe we should commemorate the War of 1812 or the signing of the Magna Carta. Also, how long until Hispanics want a holiday since blacks have 2 (MLK and Juneteenth). What about native Americans? It is interesting that I see my phone's dictionary doesn't even include Juneteenth as a word as I type this.
I think that's the point.

The logic is inescapable that other racial groups must also have national holidays similar to this....now the only question is what they will be.

What local state holidays for American Indians and Hispanics can be rolled out nationally?

I'm honestly interested.
BellCountyBear
Idiots
Whiskey Pete
I will not be happy until Taco Tuesday is a national holiday. Also, any chance we can get a White Privilege Day?
BusyTarpDuster2017
Completely appropriate to commemorate one of the most significant events in our country's history via federal holiday.

My concern though is rather than using this day to unify the country on what it did right, it will be yet another tool of the left to stoke perpetual resentment and division over what it did wrong.
BusyTarpDuster2017
Rawhide said:

I will not be happy until Taco Tuesday is a national holiday. Also, any chance we can get a White Privilege Day?
You already know the response- "every day is White Privilege Day".
whiterock
If we can't have a federal holiday celebrating the end of slavery, then what else would qualify for one?
Whiskey Pete
Any chance we can get a 9/11 day? Or would that be biased or used to fan the flames of hostility toward muslims?

or

How about a Pearl Harbor Day? Or would that be used to stoke Asian hate?
Porteroso
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Completely appropriate to commemorate one of the most significant events in our country's history via federal holiday.

My concern though is rather than using this day to unify the country on what it did right, it will be yet another tool of the left to stoke perpetual resentment and division over what it did wrong.

How is it that celebrating the end of slavery will stoke resentment? Can you explain that one to me?
Doc Holliday
Porteroso said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

How is it that celebrating the end of slavery will stoke resentment? Can you explain that one to me?
The holiday and celebrating the end of slavery is awesome IMO. The more federal holidays the better!

What's not awesome is the expansion of critical race theory and modern anti white rhetoric based on horrors of the past like slavery. Academia and media will surely use this holiday as a backboard to do so and be emboldened by it.

It's not the holiday, it's how we're interpreting it.

Bexar Pitts
Jack Bauer said:

Brought to you by Derek Chauvin. What will you do on your day off - golf, beach, yardwork?

Quote:

So if Biden signs it today, then this Sat is officially a Federal Holiday...which traditionally would be celebrated on the Friday before...So will banks and financial markets be closed this Friday, no mail delivered, and all the other closings on Federal holidays? Surely not..and don't call me Surely.
Whiskey Pete
I have ancestors that fought for the Union. They died fighting to end slavery and keep the country together. I have yet to receive a thank you from a black person for my sacrifice
Whiskey Pete
Doc Holliday said:

Porteroso said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

The holiday and celebrating the end of slavery is awesome IMO. The more federal holidays the better!

What's not awesome is the expansion of critical race theory and modern anti white rhetoric based on horrors of the past like slavery. Academia and media will surely use this holiday as a backboard to do so and be emboldened by it.

Yep, I don't know why Porty would have a hard time believing that race baiters would sieze on an opportunity to well, you know race bait.
mattisbear
yall sure do get mad about stuff
Whiskey Pete
So, June 19th, 1865 was on the third Monday that year. Any chance that they could just make Juneteenth every 3rd Monday of June? That way, all those hard working white Americans that will get the day off for it.... it at least could be a 3 day weekend.
Jack Bauer
White people celebrating next Juneteenth.

I can only image the sales - "50% off beach towels - Juneteenth special!"

Mothra
Porteroso said:

The thing passed unanimously in the Senate, didn't it? But the resident conservatives have a problem celebrating the end of slavery? I knew it lol, I was thinking of the sicem365 reaction when I saw it a while ago.
I likewise have no problem with the holiday, but just FYI, the date does not commemorate the end of slavery.
Mothra
Doc Holliday said:

Porteroso said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

What's funny about these racist tweets is many of us evil white peoples' ancestors had nothing to do with slavery. Mine came over on a boat from Germany in 1882. But even if they had participated in it, how are people 150 years and generations removed from a heinous practice responsible for the actions of our great, great, great, great, grandparents? And what about those white people whose ancestors fought and died to abolish the practice?

Tribalism is always a bad thing. The country won't survive it. And yet, we have a political party in this country that actively promotes this kind of tribalism on a daily basis.
Booray
Rawhide said:

I have ancestors that fought for the Union. They died fighting to end slavery and keep the country together. I have yet to receive a thank you from a black person for my sacrifice

Because you didn't sacrifice anything.
Booray
Mothra said:

Doc Holliday said:

Porteroso said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

What's funny about these racist tweets is many of us evil white peoples' ancestors had nothing to do with slavery. Mine came over on a boat from Germany in 1882. But even if they had participated in it, how are people 150 years and generations removed from a heinous practice responsible for the actions of our great, great, great, great, grandparents? And what about those white people whose ancestors fought and died to abolish the practice?

Tribalism is always a bad thing. The country won't survive it. And yet, we have a political party in this country that actively promotes this kind of tribalism on a daily basis.
You are a better lawyer than that. The tweets of a few random nimrods have no connection to the Democratic party. They are race baiters but their tribalism is not partisan.
Mothra
Booray said:

Mothra said:

Doc Holliday said:

Porteroso said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

You are a better lawyer than that. The tweets of a few random nimrods have no connection to the Democratic party. They are race baiters but their tribalism is not partisan.
You are a better lawyer than that. Your party of choice has actively engaged in separating people by race for the last few years. There are countless examples. I am shocked that you deny it.
bear2be2
Whether or not racists (of all stripes) use this to divide, I think this is a good thing. The positives of making Juneteenth a national holiday far outweigh any negatives, which are basically limited to a handful of racists doing the same thing they do the rest of the year.
muddybrazos
Mothra said:

Doc Holliday said:

Porteroso said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

I find it humorous that twitter thinks that slaves somehow built this country. Slaves worked on plantations in the south but they didnt build the empire state building or play any role in the industrial revolution. Also, I agree with your point about those of us who weren't even here during slavery. I know part of my family came from Scotland in the 1920s and the other half were too poor to afford slaves, which was about 97% of the people in the south.
bear2be2
Mothra said:

Doc Holliday said:

Porteroso said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Are you really arguing that only one of our parties actively exploits its members' tribalism? Is that irony lost on you?
Doc Holliday
Booray said:

They have enough support and clout to force Democrats to accept their worldview.

Name a single Democrat in congress or senate that is actively against CRT?
BusyTarpDuster2017
Porteroso said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Seriously - are you lefties really this deluded? Or is it just sheer ignorance?
robby44
Well at least they are banning schools from teaching kids about this stuff.
Jack Bauer
No national holidays in August - that's offensive!

Here's a list of the dates federal holidays are observed in 2022.1

• New Years Day Friday, December 31
  • Martin Luther King Jr. Day - Monday, January 17
  • Washington's Birthday - Monday, February 21
  • Memorial Day - Monday, May 30
  • Juneteenth - Monday, June 20th
  • Independence Day - Monday, July 4
  • Labor Day - Monday, September 5
  • Columbus Day - Monday, October 10 "Columbus Day" (also observed as Indigenous Peoples Day)
  • Veterans Day - Friday, November 11
  • Thanksgiving - Thursday, November 24
  • Christmas Day - Monday, December 26
Mothra
bear2be2 said:

Mothra said:

Doc Holliday said:

Porteroso said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Are you really arguing that only one of our parties actively exploits its members' tribalism? Is that irony lost on you?
Perhaps to some extent, but the Democrat Party is actively engaged in separating us by race and ethnicity right now.

I know pointing this out makes you mad.
bear2be2
Mothra said:

bear2be2 said:

Mothra said:

Doc Holliday said:

Porteroso said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Perhaps to some extent, but the Democrat Party is actively engaged in separating us by race and ethnicity right now.

It doesn't make me mad. I have no affiliation with or obligation to defend the Democratic Party.

My issue with your post is seeing one of this board's most tribal members decry tribalism -- and then try to make tribalism itself a partisan issue.
Doc Holliday
bear2be2 said:

Mothra said:

bear2be2 said:

Mothra said:

Doc Holliday said:

Porteroso said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

It doesn't make me mad. I have no affiliation with or obligation to defend the Democratic Party.

My issue with your post is seeing one of this board's most tribal members decry tribalism -- and then try to make tribalism itself a partisan issue.
How would one stop tribalism?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.