Juneteenth to become federal holiday

16,567 Views | 215 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Porteroso
LIB,MR BEARS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bear2be2 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

bear2be2 said:

Porteroso said:

Redbrickbear said:

[Debating the merits of Juneteenth is a pointless and obfuscates the underlying tension between progressivism and tradition- an irreconcilable conflict that defines every cultural skirmish today. Time and again tradition goes down in defeat- it's supporters scattered and demoralized. These defeats are due in no small part to traditions' supposed standard-bears and leaders, who are not only fearful/intimidated by progressives, but have also lost faith in their own cause.
In this corner, they can only hope to quibble- always in abstract terms; ignoring the obvious connection between past routs and final defeat. Today they must pretend that the decision to declare a new holiday was motivated by transcendent values at the heart of their tradition.
As opposed to being a brilliant maneuver to validate an embattled narrative and further estrange the old American mythos. The standard-bearers can't acknowledge that this all comes on the heels of "mostly peaceful protests," this past summer, of Ibram Kendi, CRT, and a new domestic war on terror against "white supremacists".
Because they fear and envy their enemies, and because they already ceded the battlefield long ago, they are content to play the role of a "heel"- graciously extending good faith to their enemies, and often denying it to their allies.
Notwithstanding, the struggle between tradition and progress will endure, but every surrender will be more costly than the last, and every "victory" just another step towards a final defeat.]

Another incredible post. I got "people want to celebrate the end of slavery" out of this, and you got

Quote:

the underlying tension between progressivism and tradition- an irreconcilable conflict that defines every cultural skirmish today

Unfortunately, that's the way a lot of the post-Trump right views this, and it's problematic at a fundamental level. When every effort to examine social/racial justice big and small -- or in this case, just celebrate a Black cause that's good for the collective -- is deemed to be liberal, and all things liberal are deemed to be evil, it's hard to make a case that your movement is anything but regressive, if not outright racist.

This thread is really a perfect example. If elevating Juneteenth to a national holiday is a bridge too far, what minority cause could possibly be acceptable to those who think every minority cause is an ideological affront?

I still think most conservatives are reasonable, well-meaning people who share a goal of equality and racial harmony. But they've adopted a toxic ideology through which that can only be achieved on their terms, and anything else is a progressive attack on their traditional way of life.
I am white conservative and completely agree with this post.

Now an intelligent person who thinks open honest discussions are beneficial would not just look at the other side, as you already have but, look at their own side with a bit of introspection.

So, after you've done that, let us know what you think. Is your side/yourself squeaky clean? Where have you/y'all pushed too far or in the wrong direction if you detect any problem at all. If not, then be patient with all of us in the unwashed masses as we play catch-up.
These types of gotcha posts don't work on me because I don't have a side. I'm against radicals of all stripes and partisan hackery in all its forms.

I'm no more a fan of the far left than I am the far right. And it's largely for the same reason -- both are too rigid in their dogma to be contributing members to a functioning, harmonious society. And I'd argue neither even particularly wants a functioning, harmonious society. They'd rather bend their political adversaries to their will and create a society around their ideals, which means there's no satisfactory end game for either group as long as the other exists. It's a constant fight that can't be won.

So I would say the same thing to the more extreme adherents of critical race theory that I would to Trump Republicans. If true equality, justice, racial harmony and unification aren't your goals, I have no use for your ideology. It's unlikely we'll ever actually achieve those things in this country with an ideological divide that's only growing wider, but they have to be our shared goal. There has to be a finish line and realistic/identifiable checkpoints by which we can measure and celebrate progress.

I don't typically find that in any philosophy that views all relationships through an oppressor/oppressed lens. But at the same time, I don't have trouble seeing the impact past oppressor/oppressed relationships have on our current society. And I understand that we need to acknowledge and reckon with that history before we can move forward in a meaningful, productive way.
regarding the final paragraph; I don't know anyone that doesn't "acknowledge" our history. I think the divisions occur on the "reckon with". So, assuming that is correct, what does that reckoning look like from your point of view?

Anyone can smell a rotten egg. It takes something more to lay a better one.
GoldMind
Ill be elated when grievance politics go away. Just thumb through Trump Jrs tweets, bot a single breath of anything constructive, just venom.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Mothra said:

Limited IQ Redneck in PU said:

Thee I am sorry to hear about your Yankee ancestor.
The one who kicked your ancestors' asses?
yes. The battle where a 30% bigger yankee force suffered over 20% more deaths. We killed a lot more of them than they killed us but we retreated.

Congrats on the big win and look what it led to.
I have found theres only two ways to go:
Living fast or dying slow.
I dont want to live forever.
But I will live while I'm here.
ShooterTX
bear2be2 said:

Jack Bauer said:

bear2be2 said:

BellCountyBear said:

Is this still ok?
You looking for a Halloween costume?

Why are some of you so concerned with locating the edge of what is/isn't racist? It's really not that hard to keep a safe distance from that cliff if you make any effort at all.
"Cliff" like soap, hiking, knitting.

The problem here is you guys not only give undue credence to one-off nutjobs, you try to make them representative voices for the opposition.

But the truth is none of the things this random twitter account cited as racist are actually considered so by any significant portion of the population. So why are you getting worked up over these stupid ass columns and stories that are written more often than not for the express purpose of working you up? And in some of these cases, such as whitening makeup and the Land O' Lakes Native American/Uncle Ben's black farmer mascot, it's not a bad thing to examine whether those things are still appropriate in 2021.

Don't worry. You're not going to be canceled for golfing or enjoying Lord of the Rings. Just treat people with respect and try to have some empathy for the way others experience our world, and you'll be fine. It's really not that hard.

Unlike you and everyone else here, this woman gets PAID to "teach" groups about racism. You think she is going to use Juneteenth to celebrate the end of slavery and bring unity, or to create more division and hatred of white people?
Evil CRT people like her are coming into more and more power, and they already view whites as demons, non-humans... much like the world viewed Jews in the 1930s... lesser creatures.

Critical Race Theory is a disease, and Junteenth isn't a cure... it's gas on a fire.
Making it a national holiday is just a waste of time. It's not a huge problem, but it is just stupid. Why choose Junteenth instead of the day of the emancipation itself? Or the passage of the 13th Amendment?
Junteenth allways seemed like a weird celebration. Sorta like celebrating the day when Austin discovered the breakfast taco... about 33 years after it was created in San Antonio.
Isn't this holiday a perpetuation of the stereotype that Blacks are often late to things?
ShooterTX
GoldMind

Mothra said:

yes. The battle where a 30% bigger yankee force suffered over 20% more deaths. We killed a lot more of them than they killed us but we retreated.

Slavery is mentioned over 80 times in the articles of secession.
Redbrickbear
I assumed it would take a few more years before liberals let the mask slip on these new holidays being created to replace the old America.
GrowlTowel
GoldMind said:

Mothra said:

Slavery is alive and thriving in today's Democratic Party just as it was back then. What is your point?
Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
GrowlTowel
Redbrickbear said:

I assumed it would take a few more years before liberals let the mask slip on these new holidays being created to replace the old America.

Interesting that a holiday for 13% and 3% can cancel a holiday for 100% (minus the 30 million illegals). Must be why math is now racist.
Sam Lowry
GoldMind said:

Doc Holliday said:

bear2be2 said:

Johnny Bear said:

Redbrickbear said:

It's a holiday for Texas blacks...very strange to make it a national holiday.

Even most liberals didn't know it was a thing until like 4 years ago.

Exactly. This makes about as much sense as making April 21st, "San Jacinto Day" (i.e. the anniversary of the day when Texas won its independence from Mexico in 1836) a national holiday.
Not really. This milestone for Texas was a milestone for our nation. People in Texas just recognized and celebrated the day before the rest of the country did.
It's worthy of praise and it being a national holiday is great!

But we all need to come together and condemn critical justice that's taking over the message. Or bad things will happen as a result.

I'm skeptical. I've heard a lot of theories about people learning different ideas and the supposed detriment that comes from it. Manifests little.
Yeah...Marx had some big ideas, but they never really made a blip on the historical radar.
Sam Lowry
bear2be2 said:

Porteroso said:

Redbrickbear said:

[Debating the merits of Juneteenth is a pointless and obfuscates the underlying tension between progressivism and tradition- an irreconcilable conflict that defines every cultural skirmish today. Time and again tradition goes down in defeat- it's supporters scattered and demoralized. These defeats are due in no small part to traditions' supposed standard-bears and leaders, who are not only fearful/intimidated by progressives, but have also lost faith in their own cause.
In this corner, they can only hope to quibble- always in abstract terms; ignoring the obvious connection between past routs and final defeat. Today they must pretend that the decision to declare a new holiday was motivated by transcendent values at the heart of their tradition.
As opposed to being a brilliant maneuver to validate an embattled narrative and further estrange the old American mythos. The standard-bearers can't acknowledge that this all comes on the heels of "mostly peaceful protests," this past summer, of Ibram Kendi, CRT, and a new domestic war on terror against "white supremacists".
Because they fear and envy their enemies, and because they already ceded the battlefield long ago, they are content to play the role of a "heel"- graciously extending good faith to their enemies, and often denying it to their allies.
Notwithstanding, the struggle between tradition and progress will endure, but every surrender will be more costly than the last, and every "victory" just another step towards a final defeat.]

Another incredible post. I got "people want to celebrate the end of slavery" out of this, and you got

Quote:

the underlying tension between progressivism and tradition- an irreconcilable conflict that defines every cultural skirmish today

This thread is really a perfect example. If elevating Juneteenth to a national holiday is a bridge too far, what minority cause could possibly be acceptable to those who think every minority cause is an ideological affront?
This is true.
ATL Bear
bear2be2 said:

Jack Bauer said:

bear2be2 said:

BellCountyBear said:

Is this still ok?

Why are some of you so concerned with locating the edge of what is/isn't racist? It's really not that hard to keep a safe distance from that cliff if you make any effort at all.

The problem here is you guys not only give undue credence to one-off nutjobs, you try to make them representative voices for the opposition.

But the truth is none of the things this random twitter account cited as racist are actually considered so by any significant portion of the population. So why are you getting worked up over these stupid ass columns and stories that are written more often than not for the express purpose of working you up? And in some of these cases, such as whitening makeup and the Land O' Lakes Native American/Uncle Ben's black farmer mascot, it's not a bad thing to examine whether those things are still appropriate in 2021.

Don't worry. You're not going to be canceled for golfing or enjoying Lord of the Rings. Just treat people with respect and try to have some empathy for the way others experience our world, and you'll be fine. It's really not that hard.
We got worked up about columns saying transgender boys/men should be able to play girls/women sports not too long ago and we were told the same thing. There's a growing list of these "don't worry about that crazy talk" that somehow becomes the norm.
Jack Bauer
ATL Bear said:

bear2be2 said:

Jack Bauer said:

bear2be2 said:

BellCountyBear said:

Is this still ok?

We got worked up about columns saying transgender boys/men should be able to play girls/women sports not too long ago and we were told the same thing. There's a growing list of these "don't worry about that crazy talk" that somehow becomes the norm.

Drag queens and gay pride parades on a cartoon show for 4 year olds

"You guys are just getting worked up over nothing"

Osodecentx
Jack Bauer said:

ATL Bear said:

bear2be2 said:

Jack Bauer said:

bear2be2 said:

BellCountyBear said:

Is this still ok?

Drag queens and gay pride parades on a cartoon show for 4 year olds

"You guys are just getting worked up over nothing"

Well played
Redbrickbear
You can look forward to decades of liberal New Yorkers larping a Black Texan holiday.
Canada2017
Bears2Canes said:

GShack said:

For some reason this country is falling all over itself for the 13%. Now they have 2 "holidays". Nobody complains and plays the victim card as much as the 13%.

I'm looking forward to course correction.

White Americans enslaved an entire race of humans for centuries and our government denied them basic constitutional rights well into the 20th century and you're complaining about two days out of 365. If anyone is playing a "victim card," it's your own pathetic, racist self.
Blacks didn't set themselves free.

Over 400,000 white Yankees died setting the black man free.

Any 'debt' for slavery was paid long ago ....in blood.
ABC BEAR
Is this one of those "holidays" where I'm expected to do something or, can I just lay about and treat it like any other day?
Oldbear83
Doc Holliday said:

bear2be2 said:

Mothra said:

bear2be2 said:

Mothra said:

Doc Holliday said:

Porteroso said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Completely appropriate to commemorate one of the most significant events in our country's history via federal holiday.

My concern though is rather than using this day to unify the country on what it did right, it will be yet another tool of the left to stoke perpetual resentment and division over what it did wrong.

How is it that celebrating the end of slavery will stoke resentment? Can you explain that one to me?
The holiday and celebrating the end of slavery is awesome IMO. The more federal holidays the better!

What's not awesome is the expansion of critical race theory and modern anti white rhetoric based on horrors of the past like slavery. Academia and media will surely use this holiday as a backboard to do so and be emboldened by it.

It's not the holiday, it's how we're interpreting it.

What's funny about these racist tweets is many of us evil white peoples' ancestors had nothing to do with slavery. Mine came over on a boat from Germany in 1882. But even if they had participated in it, how are people 150 years and generations removed from a heinous practice responsible for the actions of our great, great, great, great, grandparents? And what about those white people whose ancestors fought and died to abolish the practice?

Tribalism is always a bad thing. The country won't survive it. And yet, we have a political party in this country that actively promotes this kind of tribalism on a daily basis.
Are you really arguing that only one of our parties actively exploits its members' tribalism? Is that irony lost on you?
Perhaps to some extent, but the Democrat Party is actively engaged in separating us by race and ethnicity right now.

I know pointing this out makes you mad.
It doesn't make me mad. I have no affiliation with or obligation to defend the Democratic Party.

My issue with your post is seeing one of this board's most tribal members decry tribalism -- and then try to make tribalism itself a partisan issue.
How would one stop tribalism?
The last 3 federal elections are examples of what not to do ...
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
GoldMind
GrowlTowel said:

GoldMind said:

Mothra said:

Slavery is alive and thriving in today's Democratic Party just as it was back then. What is your point?

Next, you'll say Finland isn't real.
whitetrash
GoldMind said:

GrowlTowel said:

GoldMind said:

Mothra said:

Finland is real, but Wakanda isn't.
GrowlTowel
GoldMind said:

GrowlTowel said:

GoldMind said:

Mothra said:

You believe in Eskimos I see.
Osodecentx
whitetrash said:

GoldMind said:

GrowlTowel said:

GoldMind said:

Mothra said:

Finland is real, but Wakanda isn't.
Wakanda isn't real?
JXL
Redbrickbear said:

Rawhide said:

I have ancestors that fought for the Union. They died fighting to end slavery and keep the country together. I have yet to receive a thank you from a black person for my sacrifice

Because your ancestors didn't die to end slavery.

They fought an imperialistic war against a southern national-secessionist movement. aka to "Preserve the Union"

If they thought they were being forced to fight to end slavery they would have turned their guns on their officers.

"I have no purpose, directly or indirectly, to interfere with the institution of slavery in the States where it exists. I believe I have no lawful right to do so, and I have no inclination to do so." - Abraham Lincoln

"Slavery is no more the cause of this current war that Mr. Lincoln has chosen to wage than gold is the cause of robbery." Governor Joel Parker of New Jersey, 1863

"President Lincoln desires the right to hold slaves to be fully recognized. This war is prosecuted for the Union, hence no question concerning slavery will arise." Simon Cameron, Union SEC. OF WAR 1861-1862

"The sole object of this war is to restore the Union. Should I be convinced . . . that our government designs using its soldiers to execute the wishes of these ABOLITIONISTS, I pledge to you I would resign and carry my sword to the other side" - U.S. Grant

"The Union government goes about liberating the enemy's slaves as it would the enemy's cattle, simply to weaken them in the conflict. The principle is not that a human being cannot justly own another, but that he cannot own him unless he is loyal to the United States Federal government. Hardly have we seen them act when even the slightest regard or kindness to these unfortunate slaves once they were taken" ~The London Spectator

"The average Union soldier at the time of the war was young, most often from a farming background, and barely literate, he was not willing to die to free an slaves, and no one told him that was the reason for the War. He fought for the reason Lincoln fought the War - to preserve the Union. In all the diaries I have read of Union soldiers between 1861-1865 I have seen no desire to fight a war 'against slave power', except among a small number of officers from New England. Indeed, there is no evidence that the general soldiery of the Federal armies had any desire at all to fight a war to end the practice of chattel slavery"

I believe you would be incorrect in this regard. Many Union recruits from upstate New York were influenced by the Second Great Awakening and considered the war a religious crusade to end slavery.
Oldbear83
JXL said:

Redbrickbear said:

Rawhide said:

I have ancestors that fought for the Union. They died fighting to end slavery and keep the country together. I have yet to receive a thank you from a black person for my sacrifice

Because your ancestors didn't die to end slavery.

They fought an imperialistic war against a southern national-secessionist movement. aka to "Preserve the Union"

If they thought they were being forced to fight to end slavery they would have turned their guns on their officers.

"I have no purpose, directly or indirectly, to interfere with the institution of slavery in the States where it exists. I believe I have no lawful right to do so, and I have no inclination to do so." - Abraham Lincoln

"Slavery is no more the cause of this current war that Mr. Lincoln has chosen to wage than gold is the cause of robbery." Governor Joel Parker of New Jersey, 1863

"President Lincoln desires the right to hold slaves to be fully recognized. This war is prosecuted for the Union, hence no question concerning slavery will arise." Simon Cameron, Union SEC. OF WAR 1861-1862

"The sole object of this war is to restore the Union. Should I be convinced . . . that our government designs using its soldiers to execute the wishes of these ABOLITIONISTS, I pledge to you I would resign and carry my sword to the other side" - U.S. Grant

"The Union government goes about liberating the enemy's slaves as it would the enemy's cattle, simply to weaken them in the conflict. The principle is not that a human being cannot justly own another, but that he cannot own him unless he is loyal to the United States Federal government. Hardly have we seen them act when even the slightest regard or kindness to these unfortunate slaves once they were taken" ~The London Spectator

"The average Union soldier at the time of the war was young, most often from a farming background, and barely literate, he was not willing to die to free an slaves, and no one told him that was the reason for the War. He fought for the reason Lincoln fought the War - to preserve the Union. In all the diaries I have read of Union soldiers between 1861-1865 I have seen no desire to fight a war 'against slave power', except among a small number of officers from New England. Indeed, there is no evidence that the general soldiery of the Federal armies had any desire at all to fight a war to end the practice of chattel slavery"

I believe you would be incorrect in this regard. Many Union recruits from upstate New York were influenced by the Second Great Awakening and considered the war a religious crusade to end slavery.
This was true for my ancestors, Anabaptists who were quite literally willing to die to end Slavery.
LIB,MR BEARS
While y'all argue about motives for military actions in a war none of us lived through but that still had great results-intended or otherwise, keep some of these things in mind. Now , decide what is worth arguing about or, if you are going to discuss it, with what attitude.

Joseph's unjust enslavement and imprisonment resulted in salvation from a famine

Daniel's being thrown into the lions' den resulted in a pagan king giving glory to God

Saul's persecution of the early church resulted in the first foreign mission work

Paul's imprisonment in Rome resulted in evangelization throughout the imperial guard

The paramount example of God's gracious providence through suffering is in Christ's redemptive work on the cross. He "has borne our griefs and carried our sorrows," and "with his wounds we are healed"

robby44
Also on this date in 1964
The Civil Rights Act of 1964
Passed the Senate on June 19, 1964
Signed by LBJ signed into law July 2 1964

It would be another 3 years before my parents could take their children into pubic parks, the zoo or most restaurants and department stores.
GoldMind
LIB,MR BEARS said:

While y'all argue about motives for military actions in a war none of us lived through but that still had great results-intended or otherwise, keep some of these things in mind. Now , decide what is worth arguing about or, if you are going to discuss it, with what attitude.

Joseph's unjust enslavement and imprisonment resulted in salvation from a famine

Daniel's being thrown into the lions' den resulted in a pagan king giving glory to God

Saul's persecution of the early church resulted in the first foreign mission work

Paul's imprisonment in Rome resulted in evangelization throughout the imperial guard

The paramount example of God's gracious providence through suffering is in Christ's redemptive work on the cross. He "has borne our griefs and carried our sorrows," and "with his wounds we are healed"

God also lead his people out of

Gasp

Slavery in Egypt.
whitetrash
robby44 said:

It would be another 3 years before my parents could take their children into pubic parks, the zoo or most restaurants and department stores.
Also on this date in 1964:

The final episode of the Twilight Zone aired.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bewitchin%27_Pool

And mom & dad wanted you to be a little bit older before taking you to a pubic park.
boognish_bear
boognish_bear
robby44
whitetrash said:

robby44 said:

Also on this date in 1964:

The final episode of the Twilight Zone aired.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bewitchin%27_Pool

And mom & dad wanted you to be a little bit older before taking you to a pubic park.

I'm the next to youngest of 6 kids
Wrecks Quan Dough
I am good with it. I just wish we would have cancelled Labor Day.
quash
Thee University said:

quash said:

BS. The march of racial progress in this country got us here, not any one event. And that march will proceed despite race-baiters like you.

Our country had made trillion $$$$ strides up until the past year. Now all of that progress has been pissed away and a wedge has been driven between races.

All of this supposed progress will be forgotten within a few years because nobody is going to follow through with the promises made. We've seen this before and we will see it again and again and again. There is not enough motivated & committed folks willing to put out the effort to capitalize on yet another race card played.

Instead we will have to wait for yet another tragedy for the hustlers to descend into town and play their sad, tired and pitiful card.

Your march is nothing more than a

I see words, yet ..

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Oldbear83
GoldMind said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Gasp

Slavery in Egypt.
Funny, I don't recall Egypt ever making a point to remember the end of Hebrew Slavery, or any other kind.
Mothra

Mothra said:

As if a confederate win would have somehow been better for the country.
robby44
Oldbear83 said:

GoldMind said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Gasp

Slavery in Egypt.
Funny, I don't recall Egypt ever making a point to remember the end of Hebrew Slavery, or any other kind.

Were there any Hebrews or their descendants left in Egypt?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.