Juneteenth to become federal holiday

16,194 Views | 215 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Porteroso
GoldMind
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Doc Holliday said:

bear2be2 said:

Johnny Bear said:

Redbrickbear said:

It's a holiday for Texas blacks...very strange to make it a national holiday.

Even most liberals didn't know it was a thing until like 4 years ago.

Exactly. This makes about as much sense as making April 21st, "San Jacinto Day" (i.e. the anniversary of the day when Texas won its independence from Mexico in 1836) a national holiday.
Not really. This milestone for Texas was a milestone for our nation. People in Texas just recognized and celebrated the day before the rest of the country did.
It's worthy of praise and it being a national holiday is great!

But we all need to come together and condemn critical justice that's taking over the message. Or bad things will happen as a result.

I'm skeptical. I've heard a lot of theories about people learning different ideas and the supposed detriment that comes from it. Manifests little.
Canon
Booray said:

Rawhide said:

I have ancestors that fought for the Union. They died fighting to end slavery and keep the country together. I have yet to receive a thank you from a black person for my sacrifice

Because you didn't sacrifice anything.

Not according to the current logic. You see, the death of his family members necessarily cut short their earning potential in their prime working years. This contributed, indeed may be the primary reason, for generational poverty in many white families. White people, according to the left wing logic, would still be suffering from this event. He would therefore be owed money by the government that caused this to happen to his family.

Or no one is owed anything.
Bears2Cane
Doc Holliday said:

Bears2Canes said:

If y'all don't like black people just come out and say it. No reason to skirt around the issue.
Do you actually believe these concerns about critical race theory are rooted in racism?
Do you really believe Fox News pundits who scare the pants off of vulnerable old white people by spreading this false narrative that critical race theory is invading every classroom across the nation? There's not a school district west of Austin that even knows what the hell you're talking about, much less actively incorporating it into curriculum. Even if there are a few teachers in major metro areas incorporating CRT thinking into lessons, I guarantee you that it isn't as hardcore as you've been lead to believe.

It's just another buzzword to scare you and you've bought right in. Think for yourself and quit reading headlines.
Canon
Bears2Canes said:

Doc Holliday said:

Bears2Canes said:

If y'all don't like black people just come out and say it. No reason to skirt around the issue.
Do you actually believe these concerns about critical race theory are rooted in racism?
Do you really believe Fox News pundits who scare the pants off of vulnerable old white people by spreading this false narrative that critical race theory is invading every classroom across the nation? There's not a school district west of Austin that even knows what the hell you're talking about, much less actively incorporating it into curriculum. Even if there are a few teachers in major metro areas incorporating CRT thinking into lessons, I guarantee you that it isn't as hardcore as you've been lead to believe.

It's just another buzzword to scare you and you've bought right in. Think for yourself and quit reading headlines.

Lol! The left are in the unfortunate position of defending CRT, whilst pretending they don't know what it is.
Bears2Cane
Canon said:

Booray said:

Rawhide said:

I have ancestors that fought for the Union. They died fighting to end slavery and keep the country together. I have yet to receive a thank you from a black person for my sacrifice

Not according to the current logic. You see, the death of his family members necessarily cut short their earning potential in their prime working years. This contributed, indeed may be the primary reason, for generational poverty in many white families. White people, according to the left wing logic, would still be suffering from this event. He would therefore be owed money by the government that caused this to happen to his family.

Lol this analogy completely disregards the 100+ years following the end of slavery where this country formed and implemented explicitly racist laws and policies designed to keep black families down. It's not like black people were freed as slaves and walked into a beautiful new world. Why is it so hard to believe that hundreds of years of direct oppression can have lasting effects on future generations?
Canon
Bears2Canes said:

Canon said:

Booray said:

Rawhide said:

Lol this analogy completely disregards the 100+ years following the end of slavery where this country formed and implemented explicitly racist laws and policies designed to keep black families down. It's not like black people were freed as slaves and walked into a beautiful new world. Why is it so hard to believe that hundreds of years of direct oppression can have lasting effects on future generations?

Why is it so hard for you to understand that we are owed nothing but equality under the law today? Anyone can claim their ancestors were put upon and therefore their choices are not their own responsibility. Only a fool would lend any credence to that argument.
Bears2Cane
Canon said:

Bears2Canes said:

Doc Holliday said:

Bears2Canes said:

Lol! The left are in the unfortunate position of defending CRT, whilst pretending they don't know what it is.
I'm well aware of what CRT is. I'm disputing that anyone at Merkel ISD cares to know what it is and dang sure isn't teaching it to your kids.
Bears2Cane
Johnny Bear said:

Redbrickbear said:

It's a holiday for Texas blacks...very strange to make it a national holiday.

Even most liberals didn't know it was a thing until like 4 years ago.

Exactly. This makes about as much sense as making April 21st, "San Jacinto Day" (i.e. the anniversary of the day when Texas won its independence from Mexico in 1836) a national holiday.
Texas was the last state to outlaw slavery. This means that June 19th the official day that all slaves in America were freed. That's why the date has national significance.
Whiskey Pete
Bears2Canes said:

Canon said:

Booray said:

Rawhide said:

Yep, racist laws are bad. Glad to know we fixed that problem decades ago. My goodness, we even have black people now-a-days that have successful careers.

My next door neighbor, who is black, is a successful engineer and owns rental property. His wife manages those properties. Nice people, very nice people, then again, I'm not surprised, they are Trump supporters.

Maybe it's tine for the democrats to stop brainwashing black people into thinking that they can't. They can't do this, they can't do that, the can't build that....they can't they can't they can't. If you tell someone they can't long enough, then they won't.

Black have been used as pawns by the media, race batiers and politicians for far too long. Our elected "leaders" show up every couple of years promising rainbows and unicorns only to leave them high and dry (again) after their vote is cast.

Proud 1992 Alum
Actually, Juneteenth celebrates the day slaves found out that they had been freed by the 1862 Emancipation Proclamation when Union General Granger arrived in Texas and on June 19, 1865 ordered slaves be freed. The State of Texas didn't free the slaves.

Interestingly, the Emancipation Proclamation DID NOT free slaves outside of the Confederate states. That wasn't done until ratification of the 13th amendment to the U.S. Constitution.
Whiskey Pete
Now that Juneteenth is the books as a day off of work for hard working Americans. Any chance we can get rid of DST?
ATL Bear
Depending upon your definition of America, slavery didn't end in the civilized Indian territories until almost a year after Juneteenth, and carried on into the 1890's in the "uncivilized" tribes.
Mothra
Bears2Canes said:

Doc Holliday said:

Bears2Canes said:

We talking Marble Falls? Hondo? If so I agree with you. But many of the major cities - including Austin - are incorporating its teachings. This is documented and I thought undisputed.

All of that said, I agree with you the repercussions of slavery and Jim Crow are felt in the black community to this day.
Thee University
I think it is great to finally make Juneteenth a Holiday. I hope that maybe a history lesson will be taught and people nationwide will finally understand that it originated in Texas, the South.

I am concerned that looting, rioting, murders and beatings will be escalated every June 19th.

But then white folks deserve to be murdered, looted, beaten, robbed and generally cowering and submissive. Let's make every day Juneteenth.
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." - General Robert E. Lee
Thee University
Bears2Canes said:

It sure hasn't held back Asians, Mexicans, Indians and a host of other folks.

You walk into the world you create.
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." - General Robert E. Lee
GoldMind
ATL Bear said:

Depending upon your definition of America, slavery didn't end in the civilized Indian territories until almost a year after Juneteenth, and carried on into the 1890's in the "uncivilized" tribes.

When's the part where the army lined them all up and shot them?
ATL Bear
GoldMind said:

ATL Bear said:

When's the part where the army lined them all up and shot them?
The 1890's, thus ending slavery for good I guess.
BaylorBJM
Thee University said:

I think it is great to finally make Juneteenth a Holiday. I hope that maybe a history lesson will be taught and people nationwide will finally understand that it originated in Texas, the South.

I am concerned that looting, rioting, murders and beatings will be escalated every June 19th.

But then white folks deserve to be murdered, looted, beaten, robbed and generally cowering and submissive. Let's make every day Juneteenth.

You've always seemed like the type of poster who still refers to black people as "colored"
bear2be2
Thee University said:

Celebrating that Juneteenth originated in Texas is a really weird flex. Most wouldn't count it as a feather in the cap that it took their state 2 1/2 years to give slaves the freedom they were granted by the emancipation proclamation.
Greenbear
I am fine with Juneteenth being a national holiday. It is time to end Columbus Day and Columbus Day, maybe even Martin Luther King's birthday? The AVERAGE federal worker gets 20 vacation days a year, 13 sick days and now has 11 national holidays. That is the average. How many private companies have this rich of a leave plan?
Osodecentx
BaylorBJM said:

Thee University said:

You've always seemed like the type of poster who still refers to black people as "colored"
Cheap shot
Porteroso
Rawhide said:

Doc Holliday said:

Porteroso said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Completely appropriate to commemorate one of the most significant events in our country's history via federal holiday.

My concern though is rather than using this day to unify the country on what it did right, it will be yet another tool of the left to stoke perpetual resentment and division over what it did wrong.

How is it that celebrating the end of slavery will stoke resentment? Can you explain that one to me?
The holiday and celebrating the end of slavery is awesome IMO. The more federal holidays the better!

What's not awesome is the expansion of critical race theory and modern anti white rhetoric based on horrors of the past like slavery. Academia and media will surely use this holiday as a backboard to do so and be emboldened by it.

It's not the holiday, it's how we're interpreting it.

Yep, I don't know why Porty would have a hard time believing that race baiters would sieze on an opportunity to well, you know race bait.

People take any given situation to toot whatever horn they want. Unreasonable people do. Look at this thread. Great examples of both libs and conservatives getting riled up, being mad about something we should all be greatful for, not mad about.

So please, don't give me this "well, unreasonable people might take this as an opportunity to say unreasonable things" because that is just how it is. That's what unreasonable people do. The rest of us can't just do nothing, to ensure loudmouth don't have anything to yap about.
LIB,MR BEARS
Porteroso said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Completely appropriate to commemorate one of the most significant events in our country's history via federal holiday.

My concern though is rather than using this day to unify the country on what it did right, it will be yet another tool of the left to stoke perpetual resentment and division over what it did wrong.

How is it that celebrating the end of slavery will stoke resentment? Can you explain that one to me?
watch what you party does with it when in attack mode. You'll see it... recognizing it is another story.
Canon
BaylorBJM said:

Thee University said:

That's the new (again) jargon. People of color. They just added a word and dropped the (ed).
Doc Holliday
Bears2Canes said:

Doc Holliday said:

Bears2Canes said:

Even if there are a few teachers in major metro areas incorporating CRT thinking into lessons, I guarantee you that it isn't as hardcore as you've been lead to believe.
The theory/concept alone is hardcore.

Redbrickbear
Canon said:

BaylorBJM said:

Thee University said:

That's the new (again) jargon. People of color. They just added a word and dropped the (ed).
Yep.

To liberals calling someone "colored" is offensive...but "person of color" is now hip and used by all the diversity bureaucrats.

The fact that this is basically the exact same thing makes no difference.

Redbrickbear
Doc Holliday said:

Bears2Canes said:

Doc Holliday said:

Bears2Canes said:

Even if there are a few teachers in major metro areas incorporating CRT thinking into lessons, I guarantee you that it isn't as hardcore as you've been lead to believe.
The theory/concept alone is hardcore.

The malevolence and hostility of it is practically the point.

Delgado & Stefancic (who wrote the book "Critical Race Theory" which is a summary of the movement's history, its application, and its impact on other fields) provide a basic definition of the movement:

So if you support the foundations of the liberal order, equality, legal reasoning, Enlightenment rationalism, and neutral principles of constitutional law....you will naturally find CRT to be hostile and damaging...and you would be correct.
Porteroso
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Porteroso said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

watch what you party does with it when in attack mode. You'll see it... recognizing it is another story.

Quote:

People take any given situation to toot whatever horn they want. Unreasonable people do. Look at this thread. Great examples of both libs and conservatives getting riled up, being mad about something we should all be greatful for, not mad about.

So please, don't give me this "well, unreasonable people might take this as an opportunity to say unreasonable things" because that is just how it is. That's what unreasonable people do. The rest of us can't just do nothing, to ensure loudmouth don't have anything to yap about.
LIB,MR BEARS
I don't have a problem with Yankees celebrating southern and specifically Texas holidays. BUT... I'm not celebrating another yankee holiday. You gotta draw a line somewhere.
robby44
?itemid=6211288
LIB,MR BEARS
robby44 said:

?itemid=6211288
I didn't call you a Yankee. Suck it up.
BellCountyBear

Is this still ok?
bear2be2
BellCountyBear said:

Is this still ok?
You looking for a Halloween costume?

Why are some of you so concerned with locating the edge of what is/isn't racist? It's really not that hard to keep a safe distance from that cliff if you make any effort at all.
Redbrickbear
[Debating the merits of Juneteenth is a pointless and obfuscates the underlying tension between progressivism and tradition- an irreconcilable conflict that defines every cultural skirmish today. Time and again tradition goes down in defeat- it's supporters scattered and demoralized. These defeats are due in no small part to traditions' supposed standard-bears and leaders, who are not only fearful/intimidated by progressives, but have also lost faith in their own cause.
In this corner, they can only hope to quibble- always in abstract terms; ignoring the obvious connection between past routs and final defeat. Today they must pretend that the decision to declare a new holiday was motivated by transcendent values at the heart of their tradition.
As opposed to being a brilliant maneuver to validate an embattled narrative and further estrange the old American mythos. The standard-bearers can't acknowledge that this all comes on the heels of "mostly peaceful protests," this past summer, of Ibram Kendi, CRT, and a new domestic war on terror against "white supremacists".
Because they fear and envy their enemies, and because they already ceded the battlefield long ago, they are content to play the role of a "heel"- graciously extending good faith to their enemies, and often denying it to their allies.
Notwithstanding, the struggle between tradition and progress will endure, but every surrender will be more costly than the last, and every "victory" just another step towards a final defeat.]
Redbrickbear
This is an example of where culture can be down stream of politics.

Only a small minority of the country was in favor of making it a national holiday. Yet it passed overwhelmingly and with almost no opposition. Notably no opposition in the U.S. Senate.

Yet 40% of American adults had never even heard of the holiday. Including almost 20% of blacks.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.