Story Poster
Photo by Jeff Hanisch-USA TODAY Sports
Baylor Basketball

Baylor Men's Basketball Trounced by Marquette 96-70 in First Road Test

November 29, 2022
2,273

MILWAUKEE, Wisc. — The Baylor Men’s Basketball team (5-2) was absolutely trounced 96-70 but the Marquette Golden Eagles. 

A disastrous first half with a season-high 16 turnovers and a 37-8 run by the home team left the Bears with their largest halftime deficit since Wichita State in 2018.

The Bears finished the game down by the same margin they were down at halftime: 26 points.

This is good for the worst loss for a Scott Drew-coached team since 2007 vs Kansas, another 26-point loss.

LJ Cryer scored 19 points in the losing effort. Adam Flagler had 16 and 6 assists and Keynote George notched 12. However, all three Bears committed at least three turnovers on the night.

For Marquette, Olivier-Maxence Prosper led all scorers with 24 points helping the Eagles build a lead that ballooned to 32 points in the second half. 

Kam Jones put up 20 points and David Joplin went for 19 as well to get Marquette just two buckets shy of the century mark. 

The green and gold had trouble all night defending in space, especially the bigs. 

Prosper took it to Flo Thamba early in the game to help spark what became a 21-2 run. There was no looking back from there.

The Eagles’ press and length on defense sped the Baylor guards up and forced the growing turnover issue. 

In fact, the Eagles got up 37 shots in the first frame to Baylor’s 20. Those extra shots and specifically 24 points came from the turnovers forced. Nearly the entire halftime deficit for Baylor can be seen in the points off turnovers for MU. 

The Golden Eagles simply dominated in the first half and kept the pressure up well in the second half to never feel threatened. 

Scott Drew has a big task in front of him to regroup his team before their marquee matchup with Gonzaga on Friday night. 

Discussion from...

Baylor Men's Basketball Trounced by Marquette 96-70 in First Road Test

1,879 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by EvilTroyAndAbed
MrGolfguy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
Well, I ain't no camel!
Billy hoover
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Better days ahead
Hob Howelll
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I had several people tell me in the off-season that this is going to be the season that we compete for the national championship again. I'm noticing a common theme - Don't listen to message board hype in the preseason
PawpaBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I hate to be that person, but the zebras did have favor against Baylor defending aggressively. Especially on Thamba… but didn't call tripping and grabbing on the other team. I know they won't get them all but they zoomed in so hard on thamba which deflated our defense. Ugh!
Big_Pumpin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The Hound said:

I had several people tell me in the off-season that this is going to be the season that we compete for the national championship again. I'm noticing a common theme - Don't listen to message board hype in the preseason


Nor the media. Seriously. We walk around here like we are the smartest sports analysts to ever live. We don't know jack
JP1037
How long do you want to ignore this user?
PawpaBear said:

I hate to be that person, but the zebras did have favor against Baylor defending aggressively. Especially on Thamba… but didn't call tripping and grabbing on the other team. I know they won't get them all but they zoomed in so hard on thamba which deflated our defense. Ugh!
It was hard to miss. Half of our turnovers were fouls on Marquette, that is if the rules apply. At times they are just situationally subjective.

But you have to adjust. We didn't.
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
  • Referees:
  • Mike Roberts
  • John Higgins
  • Ray Natili

Higgins is a Baylor stalker
HuttoBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yes, the football gurus's told us the same....and look what happen. BTW has anyone figured how it happen and what is being done to correct. Losing Drones to the portal is not a good way to start off correcting the problem...just sayin
BearFan33
How long do you want to ignore this user?
gobears20 said:

  • Referees:
  • Mike Roberts
  • John Higgins
  • Ray Natili

Higgins is a Baylor stalker

When I saw Higgins' hair highlights out there to start the game I got a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach.

I think the refs contributed to our loss but MU played great and even in a fairly called game, I think we lose this one bad, but not 20 + points bad.
EvilTroyAndAbed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
HuttoBear said:

Yes, the football gurus's told us the same....and look what happen. BTW has anyone figured how it happen and what is being done to correct. Losing Drones to the portal is not a good way to start off correcting the problem...just sayin
Yeah, this is the basketball page.....
Refresh
Page 1 of 1
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.