Story Poster

Baylor Athletics Unveils New Mission Statement

November 30, 2018
9,823

WACO, Texas – Baylor University Vice President and Director of Intercollegiate Athletics Mack Rhoades announced Friday the unveiling of a revised department mission statement, “One Standard. One Accord”, centered on the distinct purpose of Preparing Champions for Life through academic achievement, athletic success, spiritual growth and character formation.

Led by Senior Associate AD for Compliance, Chad Jackson, Rhoades assembled a team of individuals from various departments within athletics and on campus, who were tasked with defining the department’s mission, core values and operating principles.

“Through this process we sought to clearly define who we are as an athletics department - what we value and how we operate,” said Rhoades. “A strong mission should serve as a filter through which all decisions and actions are made, the cornerstone on which this department will move forward.”

“We began the process with simplicity in mind and yet at the same time we challenged our team to the notion – we have to get who we are,” said Jackson. “We first asked, what is it that we do?  The answer was simple in that Mack’s vision from day one has been that we prepare champions for life.”

The department’s ability to carry out the vision of Preparing Champions for Life hinges on a collective commitment to live by One Standard - to faithfully steward the authentic pursuit of competitive excellence through Christ. In upholding this standard, the department has committed to be in One Accord on six scripturally based operating principles and 18 associated core values.

  • We will do our serviceable and personal best - Ecclesiastes 9:10
  • Purpose | Perseverance | Preeminence
  • We will commit to principled innovation - Romans 12:2  
  •  Reflection | Aspiration | Advancement
  • We will master fundamentals and pursue excellence - Ephesians 2:10
  •  Intent | Equip | Championships
  • We will treat one another with dignity and respect - Colossians 3:12-14  
  •  Service | Love | Truth
  • We will welcome vulnerability and accountability - Psalm 139:23-24
  •  Inclusivity | Humility | Trust
  • We will make all decisions in accordance with governing regulations - Galatians 6:9
  • Virtue | Transparent | Vigilance

“Our commitment to ‘One Standard. One Accord’ guides us to operating at an elite level in all that we do,” said Rhoades.

Discussion from...

Baylor Athletics Unveils New Mission Statement

6,719 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by REvansBU71
coldhardtruth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Vision 2020ish
applemacg4
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Michibear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It'll be real crowded if you get the basketball team, let alone the entire athletic department, in one Accord.



[*Rimshot*]
Timbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If that makes the Admin and BOR feel better, then have at it. The student walking up 5th street toward class really couldn't care less.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The politicos in my hometown hired a PR firm from back east to come up with a new slogan for Seguin. After many months of traveling back and forth, deliberations and $60,000 later, the slogan they came up with was absolute genius! It's Real. We now have It's Real on our water tower.

I am just curious if the same firm was hired by Baylor and came up with One standard. One accord.
"Fear does not prevent death. It prevents life."
bear2be2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I struggle to see how anyone could have a major issue with this. Even if it doesn't have much practical application, what could it possibly hurt to lay out a set of common sense, biblical principles that will guide our athletic program going forward?

This is just further proof that some of you miserable SOBs will ***** about literally anything.
85bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Does this apply to the gold BU football helmets that were missing this year?
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Michibear said:

It'll be real crowded if you get the basketball team, let alone the entire athletic department, in one Accord.



[*Rimshot*]

Well played Michibear.

"One Standard. One Mercedes Benz" just sounds way too snooty!
"Fear does not prevent death. It prevents life."
Guy Noir
How long do you want to ignore this user?
That is six statements.
TellMeYouLoveMe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Timbear said:

If that makes the Admin and BOR feel better, then have at it. The student walking up 5th street toward class really couldn't care less.
And of course, if any person matters, it's the millenial that overslept and wants to watch the entire game on his/her phone.
BUmoneymaker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bear2be2 said:

I struggle to see how anyone could have a major issue with this. Even if it doesn't have much practical application, what could it possibly hurt to lay out a set of common sense, biblical principles that will guide our athletic program going forward?

This is just further proof that some of you miserable SOBs will ***** about literally anything.


Ouch, thats the nastiest post so far...

"Why would someone pretend to be an addict if hes not, unless he has something a whole lot worse to hide?" -Sgt. J Doakes

"I am the one who knocks." -W.White

"Shutup Wesley!" 'JL Picard
chorne68
How long do you want to ignore this user?
yes sir... yes sir...three bags full.
WNCBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Timbear said:

If that makes the Admin and BOR feel better, then have at it. The student walking up 5th street toward class really couldn't care less.
Yep and yep.

Personally, I think a detailed comparative analysis between the new and old statements would have been appropriate as additional documentation.

If a new statement was required, was the old statement lacking?

Lastly, I'm curious about both the implementation and outcome measurement mechanism(s) of the new statement. More details will follow, I hope.
CoastalBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
applemacg4 said:


Winner. That's it!
Just think of all the money and time you could have saved the athletic department.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I like this message so much more than Baylor's 2015/ 2016 message of "Girls......have your pepper spray handy walking across Baylor campus. You never know when a football player might jump out from behind a tree!!!"
"Fear does not prevent death. It prevents life."
coldhardtruth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

I like this message so much more than Baylor's 2015/ 2016 message of "Girls......have your pepper spray handy walking across Baylor campus. You never know when a football player might jump out from behind a tree!!!"
That slogan looked awesome on the t-shirt.
Thee University
How long do you want to ignore this user?
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

The politicos in my hometown hired a PR firm from back east to come up with a new slogan for Seguin. After many months of traveling back and forth, deliberations and $60,000 later, the slogan they came up with was absolute genius! It's Real. We now have It's Real on our water tower.

I am just curious if the same firm was hired by Baylor and came up with One standard. One accord.
Is your water tower shaped and painted like a pecan?

I know Luling has a watermelon.
GuadalupeBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

The politicos in my hometown hired a PR firm from back east to come up with a new slogan for Seguin. After many months of traveling back and forth, deliberations and $60,000 later, the slogan they came up with was absolute genius! It's Real. We now have It's Real on our water tower.

I am just curious if the same firm was hired by Baylor and came up with One standard. One accord.
I am from Seguin as well, and the It's Real campaign was the biggest joke ever. Our family and friends consistently make fun of it.
Robert Wilson
How long do you want to ignore this user?
18 core values. I pity those second rate schlobs with only 17.
TellMeYouLoveMe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Mission Statement Addendum #43.

If the Regent that Sells Dildos enters the building or is seen on campus, call Campus Security at (254)555-1212
BearlyBeloved
How long do you want to ignore this user?
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

DThe politicos in my hometown hired a PR firm from back east to come up with a new slogan for Seguin. After many months of traveling back and forth, deliberations and $60,000 later, the slogan they came up with was absolute genius! It's Real. We now have It's Real on our water tower.

I am just curious if the same firm was hired by Baylor and came up with One standard. One accord.
I haven't been to Seguin in decades. All I remember is "The World's Biggest Pecan."

Maybe your slogan should be, "We're Nuts."
BearlyBeloved
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Why not use "One True Champion" ?

I hear it's available.
Dia del DougO
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Didn't they do a new one just a month or two ago?


Put it on paper. That's all you need.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thee University said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

The politicos in my hometown hired a PR firm from back east to come up with a new slogan for Seguin. After many months of traveling back and forth, deliberations and $60,000 later, the slogan they came up with was absolute genius! It's Real. We now have It's Real on our water tower.

I am just curious if the same firm was hired by Baylor and came up with One standard. One accord.
Is your water tower shaped and painted like a pecan?

I know Luling has a watermelon.
Nope, Thee. Just a painted Matador.

Seguin- pecans. Luling- watermelons. Poteet- strawberries.
"Fear does not prevent death. It prevents life."
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BearlyBeloved said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

DThe politicos in my hometown hired a PR firm from back east to come up with a new slogan for Seguin. After many months of traveling back and forth, deliberations and $60,000 later, the slogan they came up with was absolute genius! It's Real. We now have It's Real on our water tower.

I am just curious if the same firm was hired by Baylor and came up with One standard. One accord.
I haven't been to Seguin in decades. All I remember is "The World's Biggest Pecan."

Maybe your slogan should be, "We're Nuts."

San Antonio's City Manager "retired" this past week and one of her criticisms has been her $600,000 per year annual salary.

Seguin, a city of about 50,000 people, pays their city manager $218,000 per year. You are correct, Bearly. I think the slogan, "We're Seguin. We're Nuts!" would be much more fitting.
"Fear does not prevent death. It prevents life."
applemacg4
How long do you want to ignore this user?
coldhardtruth said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

I like this message so much more than Baylor's 2015/ 2016 message of "Girls......have your pepper spray handy walking across Baylor campus. You never know when a football player might jump out from behind a tree!!!"
That slogan looked awesome on the t-shirt.


It did, but the print was so small just getting close enough to read it was a Title IX violation.
vanillabryce
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Seguin: You're gonna love our nuts.

Seguin: At least it's not Schertz

Seguin me rollin', they hatin'...

Seguin in the rain, Seguin in the rain,
What a glorious feeling you're home again

Seguin: It's nuts!

RD2WINAGNBEAR86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
vanillabryce said:

Seguin: You're gonna love our nuts.

Seguin: At least it's not Schertz

Seguin me rollin', they hatin'...

Seguin in the rain, Seguin in the rain,
What a glorious feeling you're home again

Seguin: It's nuts!


Now, now Bryce. We have gotten off topic. Let's focus on "One Standard. One Accord."
"Fear does not prevent death. It prevents life."
REvansBU71
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BUmoneymaker said:

bear2be2 said:

I struggle to see how anyone could have a major issue with this. Even if it doesn't have much practical application, what could it possibly hurt to lay out a set of common sense, biblical principles that will guide our athletic program going forward?

This is just further proof that some of you miserable SOBs will ***** about literally anything.


So bear2be2 couldn't find the commitment to excellence in any sport? Neither could I.


Ouch, thats the nastiest post so far...
Any Trump
2024
Refresh
Page 1 of 1
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.