Any other metalheads?

34,480 Views | 318 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by AceThedic
GoldMind
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bone Squad said:

Or Rob Halford. Or Bruce Dickinson.

And to really throw someone for a loop, King Diamond.
True. Those "operatic" metal singers are few and far between.
Winning by cheating is just as impressive as winning fairly, probably even more so. Your opponent was better than you in every way, and you beat them with your brain.
AceThedic
Darkest Hour is one of those bands that can separate themselves, specifically with Kris Norris.

Yngwie Malmsteen is another.
AceThedic
AceThedic
GolemII
fuentbu1 said:

I know this will not be a popular statement, but I saw Danzig live, and it was truly not good at all. Chimaira who played before them was much better.
Concur. I saw him in 94 with Type O Negative and Godflesh. It was not that good. He was trying too hard. And Type O Negative was ridiculously bad.

Side note. I remember seeing Helmet, Rollins and Sausage that same year and it was great. Les Claypool and Henry Rollins put on a hell of a show.
Bone Squad
Some classic metal from Warlock here. This is one of the most impressive vocal performances I have ever heard, as Doro is tap dancing on the very edge of control without losing it. I once saw someone describe her voice in this song as "letting the werewolf off the chain." I think that description is perfect.

AceThedic
Bone Squad said:

Some classic metal from Warlock here. This is one of the most impressive vocal performances I have ever heard, as Doro is tap dancing on the very edge of control without losing it. I once saw someone describe her voice in this song as "letting the werewolf off the chain." I think that description is perfect.

Wow. And it just builds as it goes. Love it. Forgot all about Warlock.
AceThedic
Love the way these albums sound before the loudness wars. Just really clean and sharp.

I wonder if gravely singers lately like Emily Armstrong or Otep would sound the same or better?

There was no hiding behind distortion.
AceThedic
Just heard this cover today. One of my favorite songs.

Bone Squad
I liked that, even though I have not really been able to get into Halestorm generally.

If you like smokey sounding female vocals, you might enjoy Christian Mistress. They are a relatively new band, but play a classic sound like they came right out of the 80s.

GoldMind
AceThedic said:

Just heard this cover today. One of my favorite songs.

I think this is up there in the top tier of songs by Manson. One of my faves.

AceThedic
Mechanical Animals was so good. Not Antichrist good. But damned good.
AceThedic
He's gone full on Bowie in Pale Emperor. I haven't heard the new one except for a couple songs and it seems like he's back to trying too hard.
GoldMind
AceThedic said:

He's gone full on Bowie in Pale Emperor. I haven't heard the new one except for a couple songs and it seems like he's back to trying too hard.
Heaven Upsidedown isnt bad at all. I think it accomplishes what it set out to.
NoBSU
Cheshire Bear
Didn't read through the whole thread, but for those of you into the darker stuff, Doom, sludge, death, and black metal....I'll post some stuff.

The new Wizard is amazing. Really Sabbath-Esque to me.

This whole set by Gorgoroth is legendary, but it is NSFW and not for the faint of heart.

Cheshire Bear
A couple more gems.

I love Sunn O))). A lot of people don't get it, but music is pretty subjective so whatever.

Burning Witch is amazing. The only album they have...amazing. The band has some of the dudes from Sunn O)))

AceThedic
Fun fact... Phil would introduce Dimebag as Nocturno Culto of Darkthrone from time to time on stage for Phil reasons.
Bone Squad
Doubling down on the darker stuff. If you don't know Portal, the best way I know to describe their music is that they play the soundtrack to the works of H. P. Lovecraft.

Now to step back from the darkness, but keep it weird. I am not sure Diablo Swing Orchestra is actually a metal band, but their style covers so many genres that I don't think any label could be accurate.

AceThedic
Gonna check these out tomorrow. Got really into burzum some time ago and never went further. It was before streaming and YouTube so it wasn't so easy.
AceThedic
Guys.

STAY WITH ME
Bone Squad
The mad scientist of metal himself. I love Devin Townsend. Somehow he has found a way to fuse pop music with metal and sound incredible doing it, while so many others (Amaranthe, I'm looking in your direction) just sound soulless and cheap.
fuentbu1
I saw Strapping Young Lad, and they were super weird. I had never heard their stuff but I was on the front row, and became acclimated quickly.
AceThedic
Bone Squad said:

The mad scientist of metal himself. I love Devin Townsend. Somehow he has found a way to fuse pop music with metal and sound incredible doing it, while so many others (Amaranthe, I'm looking in your direction) just sound soulless and cheap.
*COUGH COUGH NOTHING MORE COUGH COUGH*
AceThedic

Where's Fuente. This one's all you bro
fuentbu1
Like it! Never heard it, but will look at them more.

Check out I Prevail.....song was written for a cheating girlfriend. Includes a part of a voicemail from said ex girlfriend. It is awesome.

AceThedic
Cool I'll check it out.

Amity Affliction is an Australian band iirc. That whole album was written About suicide and specifically addressing how they feel about all the fan mail they get where people are talking about their wishes to kill themselves. It's a deep album and underrated.

Don't Lean On Me is the most popular track but I like Pittsburgh best.
Bone Squad
Death/doom!

FREEbass
Dia del DougO said:

FREEbass said:

Was a big hair metal guy, early 80's. Def Leppard, Motley Crue. Got back into it a bit in early 2000'2 with Static X, Powerman 5000, and Rob Zombie. That foray gave me one of my favorites....In Extremo.

King's X is my all time favorite. Not metal, but Doug Pinnick's fuzzy base can get you banging your head.
Dang, I never expected to see another King's X fan here. Awesome!

Kings X in Houston in January.
ColomboLQ
Really late to the party in this thread. I was pretty big into Nu Metal back in the day:

Korn (first couple of albums, after that they went to **** fast)
Deftones
Slipknot (saw them at Ozzfest in 1999 and they were a side stage performer, so they were completely unknown but were awesome)
System of a Down
Limp Bizkit (first album, I know, I know....)
Reveille
Nonpoint
Powerman 5000
3rd Strike
Coal Chamber
From Autumn to Ashes
Genuflect
Mudvayne
Powderburn (little trivia: the lead singer played football at Baylor)
Primer 55
Shuvel
Soulfly
Static X (RIP Wayne Static)
36 Crazyfists

Plus I'm sure there were more that I can't think of. Nice to see some fans around here.
AceThedic
Korn... Absolutely. Korn was great Life Is Peachy was great and follow the leader was different but good.

Slipknot. Omg. I saw them in 99 opening for coal chamber and the entire audience had their ass handed to them. Like half the crowd left before coal chamber came out.

Limp Bizkit... Significant Other is one of my favorite albums.

Soulfly. Max. My man.

And yeah. 36 Crazyfists. So damned good and so underrated.

Better late than never.

Some of my favorite concerts were early aughts. Pantera Soulfly Morbid Angel and Nothingface. Soulfly Slayer In Flames. Tattoo the Earth tour. Ultraspank Mudvayne and Slipknot. Just so good. Sinch Chevelle and Stone Sour.
fuentbu1
ColomboLQ said:

Korn
Deftones
Slipknot
System of a Down
Limp Bizkit
Powerman 5000
From Autumn to Ashes
Mudvayne
36 Crazyfists

I'm with you on these. Haven't heard of some of the others. Some I didn't care for.

I know they aren't considered metal by many, and I am too lazy to look back through what I have typed already, but I love The Used....

Also A Life Once Lost was insane live

Saw Slipknot with Lamb of God and Shadows Fall.....great show
ColomboLQ
AceThedic said:

Korn... Absolutely. Korn was great Life Is Peachy was great and follow the leader was different but good.

Slipknot. Omg. I saw them in 99 opening for coal chamber and the entire audience had their ass handed to them. Like half the crowd left before coal chamber came out.

Limp Bizkit... Significant Other is one of my favorite albums.

Soulfly. Max. My man.

And yeah. 36 Crazyfists. So damned good and so underrated.

Better late than never.

Some of my favorite concerts were early aughts. Pantera Soulfly Morbid Angel and Nothingface. Soulfly Slayer In Flames. Tattoo the Earth tour. Ultraspank Mudvayne and Slipknot. Just so good. Sinch Chevelle and Stone Sour.
I remember getting up early before class at Baylor to buy Korn's Issues album and I listened to it in the parking lot of the building before I went in. I can't begin to tell you how mad I was after listening to that album, it was so bad, lol.

Slipknot was the absolute ***** Their first album is probably my favorite metal album of all time.

As far as Limp Bizkit goes, I like their first album the best. It was really raw and Fred Durst hadn't gotten lost yet and actually thought he could sing (but man the guy could scream with the best of them).

Probably my favorite live show ever was White Zombie. They were ****ing awesome live.
ColomboLQ
fuentbu1 said:

ColomboLQ said:

Korn
Deftones
Slipknot
System of a Down
Limp Bizkit
Powerman 5000
From Autumn to Ashes
Mudvayne
36 Crazyfists

I'm with you on these. Haven't heard of some of the others. Some I didn't care for.

I know they aren't considered metal by many, and I am too lazy to look back through what I have typed already, but I love The Used....

Also A Life Once Lost was insane live

Saw Slipknot with Lamb of God and Shadows Fall.....great show
Slipknot was awesome live. I could never get into Lamb of God or that side of metal in general. I had several friends that did but it just never connected with me.

Some of the bands I listed weren't very well known or didn't last long. One of my absolute favorites was Reveille. They were from Massachusetts I think and only made 2 albums but both were awesome.

fuentbu1
ColomboLQ said:

Slipknot was the absolute ***** Their first album is probably my favorite metal album of all time.

Not a bad song on the album. My underrated fave is eyeless. After all everyone knows you can't see California without Marlon Brando's eye

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.