Happy 40th Thriller

791 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Keyser Soze
Keyser Soze
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Thriller remains the best-selling album of all time, with sales of 70 million copies worldwide. It is the best selling non-compilation album and second-best-selling album overall in the United States and was certified 34 platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) in 2021. It won a record-breaking eight Grammy Awards at the 1984 Grammy Awards, including Album of the Year, while "Beat It" won Record of the Year. Jackson also won a record-breaking eight American Music Awards at the 1984 American Music Awards. The album has been a frequent inclusion in lists of the greatest albums of all time. In 2008, it was inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame. In the same year, the Library of Congress added it to the National Recording Registry of "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant recordings".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thriller_(album)
Keyser Soze
MJ was at best a really odd one, likely far worse ... not a thread for that. Great LP dominated my Baylor days.

Cool kids thought Price was better.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Keyser Soze said:

MJ was at best a really odd one, likely far worse ... not a thread for that. Great LP dominated my Baylor days.

Cool kids thought Price was better.
Ray?
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
TechDawgMc
Keyser Soze said:

Thriller remains the best-selling album of all time, with sales of 70 million copies worldwide. It is the best selling non-compilation album and second-best-selling album overall in the United States and was certified 34 platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) in 2021. It won a record-breaking eight Grammy Awards at the 1984 Grammy Awards, including Album of the Year, while "Beat It" won Record of the Year. Jackson also won a record-breaking eight American Music Awards at the 1984 American Music Awards. The album has been a frequent inclusion in lists of the greatest albums of all time. In 2008, it was inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame. In the same year, the Library of Congress added it to the National Recording Registry of "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant recordings".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thriller_(album)
There were like six or seven hits off that album iirc. And Jackson had already had one of those kinds of albums with Off the Wall.
Keyser Soze
Best selling LP world wide 32X Platinum
Stranger
Keyser Soze said:

Eagles, their greatest hits- 34 million
I'm a Bearbacker
Keyser Soze
I have heard that is US record and Thriller is world wide. Probably about the same accuracy as 40 times.
TechDawgMc
Keyser Soze said:

I have heard that is US record and Thriller is world wide. Probably about the same accuracy as 40 times.

That's correct. Thriller is sometimes described as the top selling non-compilation album in the US. It is second to the Eagles in the US but the Eagles is a greatest hits compilation
bularry
Stranger said:

Keyser Soze said:

i don't like comparing compilation albums with original releases...not exactly the same thing to me
bularry
Quick story on power of Thriller

In 2013 we took a family trip to Seattle and went to the museum that at that time was called EMP (Experience Music Project). A music/pop culture museum near the Space Needle.

Anyway, they had a huge lobby with this very large screen that constantly played music videos. They called the area "sky church" due to the wide expanse and some available sitting. There were 10-30 people milling around at any time (I sat in there a while waiting on my family and just absorbing the space a bit). Then they played the long Thriller video. By the end, there were at least 300 people sitting and standing in the area watching the video. Anyone walking by stopped to watch, even though like me I'm sure they'd seen it dozens of times.

Amazing how the song and video have such a compelling draw.
Keyser Soze
MTV was a huge pop phenom then - The video "Thriller" really was above all others in terms of production and really stood out.

Keyser Soze
bularry said:

Stranger said:

Keyser Soze said:

i don't like comparing compilation albums with original releases...not exactly the same thing to me
Agree

and I love the Eagles
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.