Why did Fredo have to go?

7,756 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Keyser Soze
GoldMind
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Michael had his own brother murked for betrayal. Was this the right move?
Gold Tron
The Corleone's aren't known for grace and redemption, Fredo was soft and stupid and needed to go fishing. Right move.
syme
Mr Tulip

Brian Ethridge
Staff
He's like a big butt and smile.
Mr Tulip
Brian Ethridge said:

He's like a big butt and smile.
If I were you, I'd take precautions.
Edmond Bear

My oldest brother and I call the middle brother Fredo. It took him a few years to figure out why but now he hates it. We call him Mo Green's b**ch. He hates that even more. I tell him to go get the car for me. He hates that the most...and then he goes to get the car.

RioRata
Edmond Bear said:

My oldest brother and I call the middle brother Fredo. It took him a few years to figure out why but now he hates it. We call him Mo Green's b**ch. He hates that even more. I tell him to go get the car for me. He hates that the most...and then he goes to get the car.

Golem
I'm pretty sure he was the only one who could bring the one ring to Mount Doom...

NoBSU
Mr Tulip said:

Yep. He was told that in Vegas over a business deal. Then he helps Ross which results in an attempt on Michael's (and Kay) life. After Fredo tipped his hand at the sex club in Cuba, you knew it would someday happen. I thought there was a small chance if Fredo had stayed with Michael in fleeing Cuba. You know, put the lame brother out to pasture rather than feed the fishes. But that was the final action by Fredo that set it in stone.
ABC BEAR
Fredo was safe as long as momma was alive, which he should have known. It was his own fault for getting whacked.
midgett
Business is business.
bubbadog
NoBSU said:

Mr Tulip said:

Yep. He was told that in Vegas over a business deal. Then he helps Ross which results in an attempt on Michael's (and Kay) life. After Fredo tipped his hand at the sex club in Cuba, you knew it would someday happen. I thought there was a small chance if Fredo had stayed with Michael in fleeing Cuba. You know, put the lame brother out to pasture rather than feed the fishes. But that was the final action by Fredo that set it in stone.
They thought they were putting him out to pasture by sending him to Vegas, and that didn't turn out so well.
GoldMind
Was his betrayal so bad as to warrant a death sentence?
bubbadog
GoldMind said:

Perhaps more a business decision about risk mitigation than personal punishment.
GoldMind
bubbadog said:

GoldMind said:

Perhaps more a business decision about risk mitigation than personal punishment.

That's my point, I guess. I think the shot of Michael dropping his head signified he felt he may have overreacted. Fredo didn't do anything that cost anyone their life, so I don't know why exile wasn't an option.
bubbadog
GoldMind said:

bubbadog said:

GoldMind said:

That's my point, I guess. I think the shot of Michael dropping his head signified he felt he may have overreacted. Fredo didn't do anything that cost anyone their life, so I don't know why exile wasn't an option.
Wasn't it because of Fredo's big mouth and lack of self-control that Michael's house at Tahoe got shot up in the middle of the night? That COULD have cost their lives. And it wasn't from Fredo that Michael found out about Hyman Roth's plan to kill him. I think Fredo became too much of a liability. Michael truly loved Fredo but had so hardened himself that he knew the family couldn't afford any weak links. At least that's how I've interpreted the story.
GoldMind
bubbadog said:

GoldMind said:

bubbadog said:

GoldMind said:

Wasn't it because of Fredo's big mouth and lack of self-control that Michael's house at Tahoe got shot up in the middle of the night? That COULD have cost their lives. And it wasn't from Fredo that Michael found out about Hyman Roth's plan to kill him. I think Fredo became too much of a liability. Michael truly loved Fredo but had so hardened himself that he knew the family couldn't afford any weak links. At least that's how I've interpreted the story.

That's probably what I gathered.

Just put this up for discussion.
NoBSU
bubbadog said:

GoldMind said:

bubbadog said:

GoldMind said:

I agree with your post. Plus I will add that Fredo went again the family.

Vito decided to send Fredo to Vegas because he wasn't strong enough to stay in New York during a war. Then Vito decided to pass Fredo for Michael. Fredo was a weak link. They would stick him in a cathouse or some out of the way club, but he couldn't handle anything difficult. When Fredo decided that wasn't enough and betrayed the family, he brought it on himself.

Michael didn't drop his head in regret. Michael did what needed to be done at cost of his soul. He accepted that weight. He just waited so his mother would not suffer.
NoBSU
How come Kay understood the rules better than Fredo? She killed a Corleone and that was unforgivable. As long as one kid outlived Michael then she coulee out AND alive.
GoldMind
From the way Michaels character had developed up until that point, all of the killings Michael was responsible for were strictly business. McClusky, Tessio, Fredo...Carlo should have been tortured to death with a rusty fish scaler if you ask me, but in the end I'd like to think that Michael at least felt some remorse for his brother, he'd already lost Sonny at that time. My point is Michael was prone to making emotional decisions.
Sam Lowry
GoldMind said:

bubbadog said:

GoldMind said:

If he's exiled, he could still be a source of information to Michael's rivals, the police, or the media. It would have been a risk. Even so, it's clear in the third movie that Michael regretted his decision.
NoBSU
Sam Lowry said:

GoldMind said:

bubbadog said:

GoldMind said:

If he's exiled, he could still be a source of information to Michael's rivals, the police, or the media. It would have been a risk. Even so, it's clear in the third movie that Michael regretted his decision.
So, you think that if Michael had a do-over then he doesn't pop Fredo?
Sam Lowry
NoBSU said:

Sam Lowry said:

GoldMind said:

bubbadog said:

GoldMind said:

So, you think that if Michael had a do-over then he doesn't pop Fredo?
It ruined his marriage and brought him years of guilt and torment, but I think for most of the third movie Michael is still Michael. He would do the same again and take the consequences. At the very end, when Mary dies, only then does he see that the price is too high.
GoldMind
He could have sent him to Iceland. Or Zimbabwe.
Pablo Fanque
The whole point is that, in being "strong for the family," Michael ends up destroying the family. Fredo is just a literary/cinematic trope to make that point.
Booray
John Cazale appeared in 6 movies. Every one of them was a best picture nominee. Lived with Meryl Streep.
NoBSU
Booray said:

John Cazale appeared in 6 movies. Every one of them was a best picture nominee. Lived with Meryl Streep.
He deserved a few statues for that.

I think The Deerhunter was his last film. He was very sick and I think they had trouble casting him because of completion insurance.
GoldMind
NoBSU said:

Booray said:

I think The Deerhunter was his last film. He was very sick and I think they had trouble casting him because of completion insurance.

Leonardo DiCaprio has never been in a sequel. Ever.

Neither has Alec Baldwin
Booray
GoldMind said:

NoBSU said:

Booray said:

Neither has Alec Baldwin

Leo's first film role was a straight to video release of Critters 3.
Booray
GoldMind said:

NoBSU said:

Booray said:

Neither has Alec Baldwin

Alec Baldwin was in 2015's Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation.
NoBSU
GoldMind said:

NoBSU said:

Booray said:

Neither has Alec Baldwin
If I took either deer hunting they might not make it home.
NoBSU
Booray said:

GoldMind said:

NoBSU said:

Booray said:

Neither has Alec Baldwin

Coffee is for closers..
Mitch Blood Green
Booray said:

GoldMind said:

NoBSU said:

Booray said:

Neither has Alec Baldwin

My bet is he won't be in the next one.
Mitch Blood Green
GoldMind said:

NoBSU said:

Booray said:

Neither has Alec Baldwin

I hope to see him in Django II or Titanic II.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.