greatest singer currently walking the earth

9,286 Views | 84 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by quash
ScottS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
On the ticket, Dallas 1310AM they said it had to be Paul McCartney. Agree or disagree? McCartney is in town for a Friday concert.
Mitch Blood Green
ScottS said:

On the ticket, Dallas 1310AM they said it had to be Paul McCartney. Agree or disagree? McCartney is in town for a Friday concert.

He might have the greatest catalog. His singing isn't what it used to be.
drahthaar
Sell. I've heard Kathryn Jenkins.
whitetrash
Saw him 2 years ago in Shreveport. McCartney's voice is getting a little frayed around the edges, but he'll be 77 next month so that's to be expected. A more apt designation would be the greatest/most influential songwriter still alive today (Carole King probably a distant second).

As far as the greatest singer still alive, my vote would go to Tony Bennett. He's still rocking it just as smooth at age 92.
Stranger
At almost 74, a voice as strong as ever, my vote for best voice in the planet goes to Sir Van Morrison. I can't think of anybody close.

McCartney's voice, though great, has shown signs of cracking lately.
I'm a Bearbacker
Mr Tulip
Guess it all depends on what you're considering.

Longevity? Hits? Current ability to perform? Catalog?

Kathleen Battle is still alive, and can vocally demolish anyone we've listed note for note. That's just off the top of my head. The guys who wrote her hits have usually been dead for over 200 years, though.

Paul Rodgers has the catalog and range. Adam Lambert has the current talent. Alicia Keys has soul, power, and ability.

There's just a ton of variables.
jdub_316
I'll tweak my reply a bit, as I think the two greatest performers alive today (meaning they can turn on any crowd, any age - win over any genre) are Bruno Mars and Justin Timberlake.
whitetrash
jdub_316 said:

I'll tweak my reply a bit, as I think the two greatest performers alive today (meaning they can turn on any crowd, any age - win over any genre) are Bruno Mars and Justin Timberlake.
Iron Claw
Oh good golly. Hands down it's Willie.

/thread
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Iron Claw said:

Oh good golly. Hands down it's Willie.

/thread
Andrea Bocelli hands down. His voice is a gift from God.

For the record, I love Willie Nelson. I listened to "I woke up not dead again today" on my way home from Houston today. Great tune.

"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Keyser Soze
Stranger
I'm a Bearbacker
ABC BEAR
ScottS said:

A month ago I would have assumed you were attending a Leon Redbone concert.....not so much anymore.
curtpenn
Sadly, her voice is now stilled by Parkinson's, but Linda Rondstadt will always be number one in my heart. If I could only listen to one singer, she'd be the one.
BaylorGrad&Dad
Agree with RD2 on Bocelli. Also add in Josh Groban.
quash
Lady Gaga. Now that Julie Andrews has voice issues Gaga can climb every vocal mountain.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
beardoc
If one believes the rumors, it's this guy:

https://www.facebook.com/evidenceelvispresleyisalive
historian
Mr Tulip said:

Guess it all depends on what you're considering.

Longevity? Hits? Current ability to perform? Catalog?

Kathleen Battle is still alive, and can vocally demolish anyone we've listed note for note. That's just off the top of my head. The guys who wrote her hits have usually been dead for over 200 years, though.

Paul Rodgers has the catalog and range. Adam Lambert has the current talent. Alicia Keys has soul, power, and ability.

There's just a ton of variables.

I'm glad you mention KB. I would also add to the list Kiri Te Kanawa, Rene Fleming, Samuel Ramey, & maybe Waltraud Meier.
SSadler
Groban, especially when he teams up with Celine Deon.
Wichitabear
I love Groban. But Streisand and Liza Minnelli are my favorites. Liza has lost a little do to age.
historian
Absolutely beautiful:

“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Stranger
SSadler said:

Groban, especially when he teams up with Celine Deon.

Name five memorable songs by him. Great voice but hardly the best on the planet.
Keyser Soze
Few have done it better than Sarah Brightman. The original Christine in AL Webber's Phantom of the Opera.

Stage, opera, pop - she has done it all.
SSadler
Longevity and accrued playlist was not one of the original criteria.

If accrual is a factor, and age NOT, then mid-career WILLIE (and there is no second place)

But to walk on to an Academy Award stage and rip one, I'll take Groban.
historian
No question Sarah Brightman is very talented:

Wichitabear
Ok well opera ok. Great voice. But not for me. Good post though historian
historian
I saw my first opera at Baylor back in the 1980s. Technically, that is not opera but it is opera-like: an arrangement of part of a Beethoven Symphony with words added.
Wichitabear
My best Baylor friend was a music major, opera. Had a great voice and has that Texas slang. Not when she sings though. Lolol Graduated in 78
historian
Baylor has excellent theater & music programs. I've been to several great performances as a student and since then. I hope to do more in the future.
Wichitabear
They do indeed. I always love to listen to their choirs. Especially around Christmas but I'll take anytime. My daughter was a music major/English. She attended college on scholarship for her voice. Music has always been an important part of this family's education.
curtpenn
Wichitabear said:

They do indeed. I always love to listen to their choirs. Especially around Christmas but I'll take anytime. My daughter was a music major/English. She attended college on scholarship for her voice. Music has always been an important part of this family's education.
Started off at Baylor as a voice major, but quickly realized I'd never develop the keyboard skills needed to graduate; everyone in the music school had to achieve a certain level of keyboard proficiency. Must of been a shortage of basses my freshman year because Dr Porter (who sat in on my semester ending
'jury" right before Christmas break) invited me to audition for the A Cappella Choir. Spent the next several years in A Cappella even though I was no longer a music major. It was a transforming experience that would lead me in my 40's to be confirmed in the Episcopal Church despite being a lifelong Southern Baptist. Just got tired of the "worship wars" and never much cared for contemporary Christian music. Found a home where the music was more to my liking and discovered a deep affinity for Liturgical worship in the Anglican tradition. Great music is great music regardless of what century gave it birth.
Wichitabear
quash
curtpenn said:

Wichitabear said:

Started off at Baylor as a voice major, but quickly realized I'd never develop the keyboard skills needed to graduate; everyone in the music school had to achieve a certain level of keyboard proficiency. Must of been a shortage of basses my freshman year because Dr Porter (who sat in on my semester ending
'jury" right before Christmas break) invited me to audition for the A Cappella Choir. Spent the next several years in A Cappella even though I was no longer a music major. It was a transforming experience that would lead me in my 40's to be confirmed in the Episcopal Church despite being a lifelong Southern Baptist. Just got tired of the "worship wars" and never much cared for contemporary Christian music. Found a home where the music was more to my liking and discovered a deep affinity for Liturgical worship in the Anglican tradition. Great music is great music regardless of what century gave it birth.
Dr. Porter rules. Pick a paved road leading out of Waco and he'd tell you the first 5 small towns. And tone it down, sopranos...
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Wichitabear
Quash, is that you?
Mr Tulip
Euell Porter directed my small Methodist church's choir here for a number of years. My wife still has the personalized copy (Alto) of Handel's "The Messiah" he gave her.

I was recruited for lower strings at Baylor coming out of high school. I thought, "C'mon! A music degree isn't employable. I'll pay my own way to Texas and be an engineer instead!"

Uh, about that....
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.